PDA

View Full Version : Hair Progress Pictures!

KajiKodomo
April 30th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Hi all! I know that those that were members of TLHC when I was first starting out will remember this picture (maybe, it WAS a while ago, haha!), but I will type out my story for anyone who doesn't.

I joined TLHC about 5 years ago and started growing my hair out. I started at slightly past shoulder length, and by the end of the year (I'm not sure what month it was, unfortunately), I was down past my bra strap and on my way to waist with a nice slight-u hemline with no layers.

Shortly after the picture that I used for this was taken, I cut my hair off to shoulder length, to cut out the old dye (that was the reason I gave and the reason I told myself, but the real reason was because a friend said that I could "cut out the splits," even though the lighter bits on the end weren't split, but bleached). I ended up going shorter from there and forgot about having it long.

I then came back to the community with hair right at shoulder length at the longest. I decided that I wanted my natural hair color back, and used color removers to try to get it out. I ended up damaging my hair beyond repair (well, I probably could have lived with it, but it was blonde, yellow, orange, and black and wouldn't hold any dye, so I decided I'd rather not), and buzzcut it all off.

After I buzzcut it 2 more times to get rid of all of the damage, I was on my way! I started in March of 2006, and I'm now back to ALMOST the length I was back in 2003. The only difference is that my hair is now heavily layered due to growing out naturally from the buzzcut, with a DEEP v-shaped hemline, whereas my hemline in 2003 was a very slight u-shape with no layers. And, yeah, I started dyeing my hair black again :o, but I love it this time and will gradually phase it out if I ever decide to go back to my natural color.

I just wanted to say that I'm excited! And here's a picture showing what I'm talking about. The top line is the bottom of my bra strap, the red line is my hair in 2003, and the bottom line is waist length! :cheese:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/komodokaji/hairbeforenowrecent.jpg

BlackfootHair
April 30th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Well it certainly looks much healthier!! I remember buzzing my hair. As it grew out I had it trimmed. The buzz cut with the razor helped split ends to form.

Anyways, Happy Growing!!! :)

KajiKodomo
April 30th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Thanks BlackfootHair! I don't know, I've only found a handful of splits in my hair from looking at it from time to time. I haven't sat down and done a full S&D, but I'm constantly scanning over the ends to see if there are any splits. :shrug: Maybe the clippers used on your hair weren't as sharp as the ones used on mine?

MsBubbles
April 30th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Wow! You have beautifully thick hair. I'm a newbie here so your story is new to me, and encouraging too, as I have a bit of color damage I have to either grow out or lop off. My hair is about 2 inches shorter than yours and also in a V, but not from a grown-out buzzcut, just a seriously layered shoulder-length shaggy cut. I have about a quarter of your thickness :-)

Shanarana
April 30th, 2008, 06:50 AM
That's quite the adventure you have gone through. Glad your growing out again and it doesn't look like you have long to go before getting to where you were before.

Looks great by the way. :)

KajiKodomo
April 30th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Thanks MsBubbles and Shanarana!

:D

Fee
April 30th, 2008, 08:12 AM
awesome! your hair is just lovely! so thick! *gets a bit jealous* :P :flowers:

KajiKodomo
April 30th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Thank you Fee! :D

Edited to add: I'm the one who's jealous of you! I just looked at your pictures in your album, and *thud* Gorgeous!

Mary <><
April 30th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Very nice! It looks so healthy and I love the hemline! :)

KajiKodomo
April 30th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Thank you Mary! I so forgot to compliment you on your rope braids on Saturday! They looked awesome! :D

jessie58
April 30th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I had no idea that you have been here so long and had gone through the grow/cut phase so many times. I do remember your last buzz cut last year however, that's when I first saw you and have always been completely amazed by your progress and your thick, healthy hair. It's looking so good nowadays. Great job at persevering. Your hair is so beautiful. How long are you aiming for KajiKodomo?

KajiKodomo
April 30th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Thanks jessie58! Yeah, I've been back and forth quite a bit here. I tend to get caught up in real life, forgetting about this place and chopping my hair off!

Thank you for the compliments! I'm setting my goal at tailbone, but I secretly want to grow out to terminal length, whatever that may be! I suppose if I could choose, I'd want knee-length or longer! :D

lora410
April 30th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Woow from buzz cut to almost BSL in two year! that is incredible!!!

KajiKodomo
April 30th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Thank you lora410! :D

Peggy E.
April 30th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Your hair must grow at the speed of light - very fortunate for you. If I was to buzz cut my head I'd be in my 90's before I was back to this length and, most likely, would never get back to this length! :o(

Your hair looks beautiful now, though, and I hope you'll be happier with it. You've sure had an education of first-hand knowledge!

KajiKodomo
April 30th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Thanks Peggy! My hair grows about an inch in the summer months, and closer to 1/2 inch in the winter.

Oh yes, I'm much happier with long hair! I think part of the reason that I have cut so much in the past is because I suffer from severe depression, and when it gets really bad I have the urge to cut (probably to sabotage myself?). I came thisclose to cutting it about a week ago for that exact reason. It's really tough, but I can do it! :D

Chamomile betty
April 30th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Your hair looks wonderful.
It is so healthy and shiny looking.
You have done a great job of growing it out.

tiny_teesha
April 30th, 2008, 09:58 PM
wow what a hair journey, your hair looks so much mroe healthier now. Do you use chemicals to dye your hair ? Have you considered henna and indigo? Just a suggestion. You will still get black with it without any damage- but by the looks of it your hair isn't damaged anyway. :) Well done!

KajiKodomo
May 1st, 2008, 06:38 AM
Thanks Chammomile betty and tiny teesha!

I DO use chemicals to dye my hair (usually the the cheapest dye I can find, which is quite embarassing to admit since I KNOW how bad it is for my hair). I've considered indigo and henna, but I'm honestly too lazy to try to figure that out and do it. I'm going to go a middle route this time and buy some of the Rainbow henna in black (I know that it's not pure henna and there's some controversy about metallic salts, but it's definitely MUCH better than the cheap dye I buy at the store).

Amoretti
May 1st, 2008, 07:11 AM
It looks great, so shiny. You're certainly persistent! Good for you.

KajiKodomo
May 1st, 2008, 07:14 AM
Thanks Amoretti! :D

paper
May 1st, 2008, 07:40 AM
Wow, great story, thanks for sharing. Your hair looks alot more healthier now and you have alot of length. Congrats!

Sana
May 1st, 2008, 07:42 AM
Wow it is so healthy & shiny. Actually my hair is shaped the same way with regards to layers but not so healthy.

KajiKodomo
May 1st, 2008, 07:42 AM
Thank you paper! :flower:

KajiKodomo
May 1st, 2008, 07:44 AM
Thanks Sana! My main issue at this time is that my hair isn't as easy to put up as it was then without layers. :shrug: I guess that's why I hadn't realized that it was almost the same length again.

nissamholtz
June 27th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Wow. Your hair is looking great. Well done

JessTheMess
June 27th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I think part of the reason that I have cut so much in the past is because I suffer from severe depression, and when it gets really bad I have the urge to cut (probably to sabotage myself?). I came thisclose to cutting it about a week ago for that exact reason. It's really tough, but I can do it! :D

I can completely sympathize with you!!!! I think this is why I've had so many different colors and chop jobs!

All we can do is learn from mistakes and grow from them!
Thanks to LHC my hair is back to almost virgin health. When I get the urge to cut, I come to you lovely people and you show me the way lol.

Sorry for sabotaging the thread, but I had to ramble.

Your hair is looking great btw! So much growth in so little time!!

brok3nwings
June 27th, 2008, 03:20 PM
what a story!! Im glad you came to this point because your hair is looking wonderful! And i like the black on you just dont do any crazyness !! :P

krazykirsty07
November 12th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Wow so inspiring!! Your hair is beautiful! =)

Amber_Maiden
November 12th, 2011, 10:46 AM
It looks so much healthier! Very pretty!:)