PDA

View Full Version : I just massacred my hair!

jmallen62691
February 14th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I'm about to cry. I followed Faye's self trim exactly. I'm sure I did it right! My hair is so screwed up now. It's super short at the nape of my neck and different lengths all over. I don't know how this happened. I'm not gonna be able to do any up-dos at all, not even a simple bun. At least it's not really noticeable when I have it down. I am so stupid! I would've been better off risking it at the salon. :[ :[ :[

Gvnagitlvgei
February 14th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I don't have any real advice...just sympathy. I'm so sorry but don't stress to much. This time will pass. Maybe you can slick it back into a pony tail, side part, etc. for awhile...think Sade. I wouldn't cut again. Don't get me wrong, I do know how hair eff-ups hurt...boy do I know! My last mistake, I decided to bear it all and not cut. I caved, 6 inches gone...but I've not cut since. I feel for you.

pinchbeck
February 14th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Oh my gosh, really I feel terribly for you. I am wondering why you felt the need to cut off such a large amount? You may feel better if you can get a hair stylist to rectify it without taking off further length. You may end up with layered hair, but at least you'll be able to save the length that is left. If I were in your town I would go with you.

You have our support here. I know how upsetting it can be...really.

spidermom
February 14th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I didn't do well with a self-trim either, so you're not alone. I've found an awesome stylist who makes my hair look more beautiful than I could hope to do for myself. Maybe you will, too; I hope so.

Kirry-Folk
February 14th, 2010, 12:38 PM
:( Oh no! I'm so sorry.

jmallen62691
February 14th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks. :/ I really didn't cut off that much, just a couple inches. But for some reason I totally screwed it up. I was just trying to get my damaged ends off, which I did, but now I sooo wish I had just left it alone.

Sammich
February 14th, 2010, 01:25 PM
*Patpat* :( I feel for you... Don't stress, I'm sure it'll be fine. Just forget about your hair for a while. *Hug* I'm sure it looks fine too. :)

Olivia23
February 14th, 2010, 05:38 PM
When I did Faye's self trim I forgot to part my hair evenly at the scalp, but thank goodness it did not end up to bad since my hair is so long. Did you remember to do that part? I'm just trying to figure out what happened, but hopefully it will grow quicker now!

jmallen62691
February 14th, 2010, 06:50 PM
When I did Faye's self trim I forgot to part my hair evenly at the scalp, but thank goodness it did not end up to bad since my hair is so long. Did you remember to do that part? I'm just trying to figure out what happened, but hopefully it will grow quicker now!

I did the U shaped one. First, I parted all the way down, like two pigtails. I was supposed to tilt my head back/look up and then hold the hair and trim. I did that for both sides and trimmed about an inch. Then, the directions said the pull into a low pony, which I did. I didn't part in the middle this time, just combed straight back. Then, I pulled the scrunchy down to the end and trimmed off another inch.

And that resulted in the hair being a lot shorter at the nape of the neck and longer towards the front. I think the problem might be that I had some layers in it. They were almost grown out though. I have no idea, but it's horrible.

But thanks for all the sympathy. I was really upset about it after I did it, but I've just resigned myself that it'll have to grow out again. I don't think there is anything a stylist could do another than cut it back to chin length and I really don't want to do that.

smilinjenn71
February 14th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Oh gosh, so sorry it didn't turn out as expected.:grouphug:

Darkhorse1
February 14th, 2010, 07:11 PM
OOoh! Hugs! We've all been there. I tried just mini-trims and never managed to do them right, so I just head to my long haired hair dresser now. It will grow back and then you can maybe get someone to 'neaten' it up?

Demetrue
February 14th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I have always looked down, not up, to do the U-shaped trim.

Nanni
February 15th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Ooops!
It NOT fun when stuff like that happens.
I've used this cutting-method many times and it always seem to work out great.
I've had no problems at all.

merryhair
February 15th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Oh dear! I'm so sorry to hear this. Perhaps you could go to a hairstylist you trust and try to get it fixed? But don't worry...it's hair..it'll definitely grow. Sending you some :grouphug:

*Aoife*
February 15th, 2010, 08:18 AM
:grouphug: *hugs*

I did the same only on a much smaller scale. I was trying to cut the hair in front of my face a little shorter. It was below my mouth and thanks to some screw up is now near my eyes.
But it's going to be ok. Hair grows. Thats what I'm telling myself and now I'm telling you.

Hair grows! Hair grows! Hair grows!

metalgypsy85
February 15th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I've done the same thing with it. I've learned that instead of going for a few inches, if I'm doing it myself, I wont cut more than an inch, that way if I screw up, which I usually will, it wouldn't be noticeable.

1nuitblanche
February 15th, 2010, 08:54 AM
I'm sorry that the trim didn't work out for you! If you ever do try it again though, look down instead of up--that will give you the U shape you want.

SHELIAANN1969
February 15th, 2010, 08:58 AM
It may not be as bad as you think, give it time to grow out a little and ask someone to help you trim or go to a salon that you feel you can trust.

Sometimes we think it's worse than it is.

:grouphug:

Benjamin_T
February 15th, 2010, 09:07 AM
This is very unfortunate.

Always remember to be very careful when handling your hair.

For long hair, "less is more".

amoredidanza
February 15th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Awe, I'm sorry :( If it makes you feel any better, it may be better than what you'd get at a salon. A few months ago, I went in for a trim, and I wanted all my hair one length. She cut 2 inches on one side and one inch on the other. I had to go to another salon to make it even, and they cut 2-3 more inches off. So I feel your pain.

shadowclaw
February 15th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I'm terribly sorry to hear of your misfortune! I've made some hair cutting mistakes myself. I think most people who've self trimmed have. Don't worry, it will grow! I once cut my BSL hair to my shoulder because I really messed up a self haircut... that was actually the one of the last major chops I had before coming to LHC.