PDA

View Full Version : cut my hair hopefully for the last time in a long time hair timeline - picture heavy

talecon
February 13th, 2010, 07:28 PM
This was my hair before the accident
(the accident was my attempt at a mild relaxer which ended up in massive clumps of my hair falling out)

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/25/m_c0ca76bde4eef681aa94b6f05dd25f6d.jpg

this was my hair after I tried the relaxer

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/19/l_199070fc689938176c593b8022ff39b9.jpg

yes those are big clumps of hair I'm holding and more fell out after the pictures

this was a picture after the first cut, they tried to save some of the hair but it was all burnt

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/4/m_df4feeae715ca361b304c4c65180a360.jpg

this is after the second cut, you can see how its growing in uneven already

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/128/m_7d66281c222d22ff8643b0b6ab6b90b1.jpg

heres my hair at shoulders very uneven

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/21/l_30c5bb2ef3164fdc416b2620ab26f1df.jpg

this is my hair about apl very thin very uneven

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/112/l_eea3cd896ad1bd60c2413af23d7bc15d.jpg

my hair at bsl but very thin and uneven

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/90/l_49cc13d0e05d4d4e853979ae9f998a39.jpg

my hair before the cut, uneven and thin

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs238.snc3/22536_1169729563111_1224147355_30371609_4736566_n. jpg

my hair today

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/142/l_0da4cf0fc76741aaaf5c39775a357814.jpg

It was quite liberating to cut off such a chunk of hair. No one likes the new cut except me but I think my hair is ready to begin the long hair journey the right way.

atleast it looks a bit thicker right? (I was attempting a 60's flip-out with the ends that I obviously wasn't very good at)

talecon
February 13th, 2010, 07:30 PM
oh and I have to add the reason I cut it was because the last few inches of my hair were stick straight in its natural state (which is somewhere between wavy and curly) and I figured it was the last bit of hair that was left from when my hair got burned from the relaxer.

Ravenwaves 88
February 13th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I think it looks great. I hope your hair grows long and strong with it's fresh start.

cottage46
February 13th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I think it looks great too! Now you're ready to let it grow, strong and healthy.

SurprisingWoman
February 13th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I think it looks much healthier. I really like it.

Good choice.

Beesweet
February 13th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Looks good. You salvaged nicely. It takes time, time, time.
What a bummer, but you have a really pretty face and can rock whatever style you are wearing. I did a big chop after a henna and am starting over, too, so I'm with ya!

What kind of relaxer did you use? What happened during that process? I can't believe a modern relaxer could do that to your hair!
That looks so "Rio..." remember that stuff?

linda g
February 13th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I think your hair looks great after the cut! I actually gasped out loud when I saw the relaxer damage in the second picture. :( You are making a great comeback.

Bellalalala
February 13th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Wow.

I loooove your picture editorial! It really tells your hair story.

My god are you ever a beautiful woman!
Your new hair look fabulous on you, and I think you have definitely made the right choice chopping off all of that damage!
I remember finally chopping off all of my bleach damage, and I've really enjoyed my growing experience since then.

It's so nice to no longer feel dragged down by my damaged ends, which, truth be told, is always the part of my hair that "defines" how good and healthy my hair looks.

Congrats!

melikai
February 13th, 2010, 09:15 PM
It looks so much healthier and (obviously) much thicker. I think you made the right choice, eliminated the worst of the damage, and now you can just grow!

HildeMV
February 13th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I have also cut off big chunks of hair, mostly because of my affair with hydrogen peroxide, and it has always felt liberating even though I've always preferred long hair. It'll grow out, and it'll be better than before, so don't feel bad. ;)

Happy growing.
You've come far already. :)

Luckysock
February 13th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Nice cut! You're going to get to your goal length in no time :D

Elenna
February 13th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Well, sometimes we have to cut off damaged hair. And it does seem to take a long while to grow back hair. But your new hair growth will be nice, undamaged and able to grow long.

Aer
February 14th, 2010, 12:29 AM
I'm so sorry about your hair disaster. But your haircut is cute and healthy looking, I hope you have a good hair journey.

contradiction
February 14th, 2010, 12:51 AM
You look fantastic...you and your hair are beautiful.

2peasinapod
February 14th, 2010, 02:30 AM
Your hair looks great. It looks so much fuller and healthier now. I'm sure it will look fantastic as it grows out thicker and more even. :)

funnyface
February 14th, 2010, 06:23 AM
I really feel your pain!

I put my hair through hell by starving myself of food and then wondering why it was falling out and going so thin, so straightened it to an inch of its life, and then more fell out. So what's a girl to do? Perm it of course!! After that, I just cut it all off into a pob (think posh spice/Victoria Beckham below chin at the front and high wedge at the back) and then grew from there. Now I'm at BSL and it is the best condition it has ever been in.

You will get there, and the cut you've given it now makes it look so full and thick and beautiful!

xxx

CrisDee
February 14th, 2010, 08:10 AM
The look on your face in the hair falling out picture says it all - that must have been DEVASTATING! So glad you have such a nice healthy start to begin the regrowth process - I like the cut a lot, that's where I'm hoping to be maybe by the end of this year.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 14th, 2010, 08:15 AM
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/19/l_199070fc689938176c593b8022ff39b9.jpg

yes those are big clumps of hair I'm holding and more fell out after the pictures

That photo made me feel sad :( Your expression tells everything on that picture.

Glad it's all over now :) Your hair looks great once again! :cheese:

seethruugirl
February 14th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I love the new cut...I think its beautiful! :)

WyrdWay
February 14th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I like the new cut :) With each set back we learn more and that is a good thing ^_^

lapushka
February 14th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I feel for you. I know the impact of something like that, but in time it's going to all be all right again, and you're well on your way already!

I had chunks of hair fall out after a bad reaction to hair dye a number of years ago. The dye was a light brown. My hair turned out this sooty, matte black; parts of it turned green and my scalp was somewhat burnt (needed prescribed cortisone lotion). I was growing then too, and had almost reached BSL. I had to have it cut to chin length to get rid of most of the damage, and had to start all over again. It took about 2 years to get rid of all of the damage before I could really grow my hair out again.

You'll get there!

camirra555
February 14th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I like that cut on you! Looks good. I'm sure your hair will grow in no time!

Demetrue
February 14th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I am so sorry about the horrible relaxer accident! How devestating! Thank goodness it IS growing back and now looks thick and healthy with your new cut.

little_acorn
February 14th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Good call with that cut and happy hair journey :flower:

talecon
February 14th, 2010, 10:50 AM
What kind of relaxer did you use? What happened during that process? I can't believe a modern relaxer could do that to your hair!
That looks so "Rio..." remember that stuff?

this one! http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Styling-Products/Olive-Oil-Built-In-Protection-No-Lye-Relaxer-System/ID=prod402587&navCount=1&navAction=push-product?V=G&ec=frgl_697206&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku402588

I think my hair is just very thin and cant stand relaxers. It was in for less than a minute before it started falling out, I wasnt even done applying it yet. And here I thought I picked a good one, imagine my surprise O.O lol
I'm glad thats over with and the picture I took cracks me up every time I see it :D

edited: I tried the normal o ne for thin-medium hair not the extra strength

Johanna
February 15th, 2010, 03:16 AM
I'm glad your hair is healthy again. I can understand your pain with the relaxer.
My mother used headlice product on my hair when i was about 6. It was horrible and burnt my scalp. I remember screaming at my mother that it felt hot and then laying in a cold bath for ages.
The product actually burnt the oil glands in my head and i had extremely dry frizzy hair for a while afterwards. Thankfully the quality of my hair has improved vastly and it didn't fall out like it did for you.

redneckprincess
February 15th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I LOVE it!! Im sure you miss your length but at least now it will get back thick and with less damage...and I really like the color
looks healthier already

Ive decided to take my trimming slowly for now

hey BTW- if your still in Michigan- we are talking about a spring meet up-check out the community meets forum for info, if your interested...just happened to notice that on the side of your post that your from here...you are one that I talk to quite a bit and would be neet to meet you

Tap Dancer
February 15th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Aww, no one you know likes it? But it looks so much healthier now! :) I'm glad the worst is behind you and you'll have the length back in no time.

talecon
February 15th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I LOVE it!! Im sure you miss your length but at least now it will get back thick and with less damage...and I really like the color
looks healthier already

Ive decided to take my trimming slowly for now

hey BTW- if your still in Michigan- we are talking about a spring meet up-check out the community meets forum for info, if your interested...just happened to notice that on the side of your post that your from here...you are one that I talk to quite a bit and would be neet to meet you

I'm not really missing the length too much [yet] because I hated how my ends looked for so long. I mean it is a bummer that I'm back to short hair but atleast it looks decent in its natural state :)

oo a meet in michigan would be kool. I would love to meet some new people - I'll check out the thread, hopefully its close since I dont drive :P

TheLuckyLurker
February 15th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I think your new cut looks really good! And judging from that second pic, I'd say you're lucky it didn't do serious or even permanent damage to your scalp!

GuinevereMay
February 15th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I like the cut, too! I know it's hard to lose length, but it looks so cute and healthy now.

Tangles
February 15th, 2010, 09:05 PM
That was the length I started from too! You'll find you reach APL really quickly with those undamaged ends, and from there, it gets steadily easier.

oceanwoman111
February 15th, 2010, 09:22 PM
It looks great!! You are very beautiful and you are on your way. I had to do the same thing several times when a hairdresser decided to give me severe, razored layers. I told him that I wanted some layers ,but I wanted it to stay long. Well, he left it long, one tiny, little piece in the back. I had to keep trimming a few inches off over and over get all of the layers out. You are there already.

pepperminttea
February 15th, 2010, 09:53 PM
It's a lovely cut on you! I feel your pain with the big chop; I had mine cut to a similar length from BSL a couple of years ago to cut off dye/perm damage, but the plus side is, virgin hair is so much easier to look after. :) Happy growing!

Willow
February 15th, 2010, 10:52 PM
It looks really good and healthy! Keep up the good work.

Aditi
February 16th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Nice move to cut out the uneven ends your hair looks thicker now :)

elina333
February 16th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Wow your hair looks really heatlhy after the cut! Good choice and happy growing :)

talecon
February 16th, 2010, 03:56 AM
thanks :) I cant wait to see it growing in with a thicker hemline. being a part of this forum has enlightened me to taking proper care of my body with a healthy diet and vitamins and proper care of my hair (I'm a new henna head, yay!) and I can only hope to have as beautiful healthy [long] hair as everyone on here. Thank you bunches :)

FrannyG
February 16th, 2010, 03:59 AM
I know exactly how liberating it is to cut off a chunk of damaged hair. It's so exciting growing to new lengths with a healthy, even hemline.

Your hair looks great, and I'm looking forward to your progress. :blossom:

Beesweet
February 18th, 2010, 08:49 AM
this one! http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Styling-Products/Olive-Oil-Built-In-Protection-No-Lye-Relaxer-System/ID=prod402587&navCount=1&navAction=push-product?V=G&ec=frgl_697206&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku402588

I think my hair is just very thin and cant stand relaxers. It was in for less than a minute before it started falling out, I wasnt even done applying it yet. And here I thought I picked a good one, imagine my surprise O.O lol
I'm glad thats over with and the picture I took cracks me up every time I see it :D

edited: I tried the normal o ne for thin-medium hair not the extra strength

That relaxer is deceiving. Talks about olive oil and organic stuff, but it is notoriously bad. Very rough. One of my teenagers relaxes -- I have started doing it for her instead of paying through the nose at a salon. We used a friend's beauty license and bought professional stuff and it is much nicer on the hair -- as nice as a relaxer can be, I guess.

Anyway, it's a thing of the past for you, and keep on going with the nice healthy growth!

JamieLeigh
February 18th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Your hair definitely looks a lot thicker after the cut! Just goes to show you that what is right for YOU and what makes YOU happy, isn't necessarily what everyone else would have done. Important lesson here!! :flower: Congrats on getting back on track to what you want, and good luck in the future!