PDA

View Full Version : Worth joining the gym for this.

girlcat36
February 13th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I have begun going to the gym on a regular basis after a long hiatus.
I like to use the steam room for about 15 minutes after my workout.
Today it occured to me that I should apply conditioner to my hair before going into the steam room, so the steam would help the conditioner soak in.
It worked perfectly, and much cheaper than a salon steam treatment.
The motivation of better hair is going to help me to keep going to the gym!

Twil
February 13th, 2010, 07:25 PM
My gym has a sauna too! I haven't used it for hair treatments though. Definately a thought. *wanders off muttering about porportions and recipes*

Lorien
February 13th, 2010, 07:35 PM
The sauna is the best part lol - I go just for the sauna sometimes, and yes it does leave hair feeling fabulous when conditioned.

I always wrap my hair with a towel so it doesn't burn, I guess a treatment before would be awesome, but even applying something after would yield great results.

SurprisingWoman
February 13th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Awesome idea!

Fractalsofhair
February 13th, 2010, 08:44 PM
That is a seriously awesome idea! It would be like an extended shower with the steam!

Kirry-Folk
February 13th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Color me envious! Both the sauna and steam room at my gym just reek of chlorine. :(

2peasinapod
February 14th, 2010, 01:10 AM
LOL, I used to go to the gym just for the sauna sometimes. Unfortunately, my hair wasn't long enough to condition. What a smart idea!

ArienEllariel
February 14th, 2010, 01:12 AM
That sounds... amazing! *melts to the floor while invisioning sitting in a suana* I've never gotten to try one but every time I hear about them I go green with envy.

chopandchange
February 14th, 2010, 03:16 AM
A lot of people replying to this thread don't seem to have read the OP properly and seem to think she was talking about a sauna.

Sauna = dry heat.

Steam room = wet heat.

They are two very, very different experiences. Saunas make me panic and gasp and feel like I can't breathe. They seem to burn the inside of my nose so I always have to cover it and breathe through my mouth. Every breath burns. I HATE saunas.

Steam rooms I find incredibly relaxing. They seem to aid my breathing, take lovely deep breaths, and make me feel like I want to stay in there forever and drift off to sleep.

In terms of hair, I should imagine a sauna might actually dry out hair terribly, unless you keep wetting it while you're in there.

Lorien
February 14th, 2010, 04:26 AM
I always noticed my hair improved after using the gym's sauna, but I didn't leave it exposed. I didn't wet it either, just wrapped completely in a towel. After the wash it would come out super silky :)

morguebabe
February 14th, 2010, 06:02 AM
I've been going to the gym for a year, and never used out sauna/steam room. Monday I totally will!

funnyface
February 14th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Wow, I haven't been in a steam room for a loooong time! I'm gonna have to take a trip down to our local day spa and try this out!!

xxx

elina333
February 14th, 2010, 06:19 AM
In terms of hair, I should imagine a sauna might actually dry out hair terribly, unless you keep wetting it while you're in there.

I think as long as you cover your hair with a towel in the sauna, you should be fine :)

Does anyone know whether you can do a deep treatment with coconut oil and get in the sauna/steam room? I've heard of "hot oil treatments" and it should be a similar effect, right? :confused: Please let me know your thoughts so that I can try it asap! :eyebrows:

girlcat36
February 14th, 2010, 07:08 AM
A lot of people replying to this thread don't seem to have read the OP properly and seem to think she was talking about a sauna.

Sauna = dry heat.

Steam room = wet heat.

They are two very, very different experiences. Saunas make me panic and gasp and feel like I can't breathe. They seem to burn the inside of my nose so I always have to cover it and breathe through my mouth. Every breath burns. I HATE saunas.

Steam rooms I find incredibly relaxing. They seem to aid my breathing, take lovely deep breaths, and make me feel like I want to stay in there forever and drift off to sleep.

Yes, I meant a STEAM room!
If I used a sauna I would probably try to protect my hair from the dry heat.
Our steam room doesn't smell like chlorine, they use eucalyptus oil to disinfect.
At first I put coconut oil in my hair during a steam, which was great, but I didn't want to deal with the washing out process that goes along with that afterwards because, well, I'm in a public gym and don't want to spend an inordinate amount of time in the shower/locker room.
Using conditioner is much quicker.
I ended up just using a cheapie VO5 condish, steamed for 15 min., then a quick hair rinse after.
Drawback---leaving the gym with wet hair in February.
Worth it? I think so. :)

ETA: for those with access to a sauna---I would slather on a heavy condish, then put on a shower cap. Just my opinion.

merryhair
February 16th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Sounds like a great idea! :cheese:

Tonks
February 16th, 2010, 03:22 PM
What a great idea! My college has a sauna in the girl's change room cause we have a pool. I forsee some deep treatments in my future!

myrrhmaiden
February 16th, 2010, 03:47 PM
"Sauna = dry heat.

Steam room = wet heat."

In an authentic sauna, you splash water on the rocks to make it steam up. I do this at the gym too. It is a part of going I always look forward to. I also have gone to the gym just for sauna, heheh.

girlcat36
February 16th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Yesterday I made up some SMT to put in my hair during my steam. I did not spend enough time rinsing it out in the gym shower, so it dried a little stiff and stringy. Today when I washed my hair it must have gotten the rest of the SMT out because I had fabulous moisturized ringlets when my hair dried.
I will try the SMT again tomorrow, and spend more time rinsing after, and see how that goes.

JamieLeigh
February 18th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Nice! It's great that heat works well for your hair. With mine, I'd just end up with frizz and fly-aways. :(