PDA

View Full Version : can you strand test synthetic hair?

redneckprincess
February 13th, 2010, 07:16 PM
like from hair extentions (I have some that I believe are human hair too), that are very similar to the color of the hair I am trying to match....that is if I can ever log in and make an order!!!

SimplyViki
February 13th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Hmm... I am pretty sure that the way a color turns out has to do with the previous processes the hair has gone through, and maybe the chemistry of the hair itself. I would be inclined to believe that it would be best to strand test your own hair, to guarantee the resulting color.

Have you tried gathering shed hairs to use? You don't have to test a strand that's actually on your head.

If you felt inclined, this might be worth an experiment - strand test on your own hair and the extensions, to see if the color turns out different. (I think it probably would, especially on any non-human hair extensions).

Jeni
February 13th, 2010, 10:56 PM
I'd agree with SimplyViki, human hair extensions, even ones close to your color might result in a different color because they have been through different processes.

I got bored one time and tried to dye some synthetic hair with henna it did not work, at all. Maybe some synthetic hair can be dyed but the stuff I had didn't change a lick. Even if it does I certainly wouldn't use it as a strand test.

Honestly if you want to know what a mix will look like on your hair you will have to use your hair. Either wait until you have enough shed hairs or just use a lock of your hair which it is still attached and deal with a stripe. That is what I did when I was testing henna, I think the red/orange stripe on the underside of my hair was nifty looking.

redneckprincess
February 14th, 2010, 05:50 AM
yeah thats what I thought, I have been saving shed hairs but honistly I DONT SHED MUCH, it will take me a year or more to come up with enough hair to do a couple diffrent mix testing on...even if I pull some out...and testing on whats already attached to my head, Im trying to get away from the MULTI-coloredness of my hair, I cant deal with another stripe of color...
I did think though that doing the underneith (like I do with MP) with henna red might be nice when its all said and done...that would only be 2 colors insted of the 6 I have now, lol

I have successufully died extention hair withy MP in the past, I would think its the same thing...maybe not
thanks