PDA

View Full Version : Weirdest public reaction to long hair?

kissedbyfyre
April 30th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Please, do share!!
I don't consider my hair long, but its attracting attention, more so than normal. Here's a copy from my blog (because I'm tired and should retire tonight quite soon):

I was called into the adult film studio to do some data entry work. It's money so I went directly after my very long interview. I didn't get around to putting it back up so I ended up running into the studio with it down without realizing it. One of the girls (who's also a natural redhead but dyes it to calm down the copper in her hair) flipped out. She started insisting that it is the same color as hers. She drug me over to the mirror in her office and found her roots, insisting on comparing the colors. They aren't the same, mine has much less copper and much more true red in it. Her natural color is still very pretty, I don't see why she dyes it. How can a redhead hate her color, but this IS hollywood... This eventually evolved into draping my length over her head to see what she would look like with long hair. :tmi:

So here I am, standing in her office, my head tilted to one side, while a fellow ginger is draping my length over her head to see what she would look like with my color and longer hair. I think I was too shocked to really react aside from nervously laugh and pray she bores of playing with my hair.

Just.... ODD. I've had some very creepy reactions to my hair so that tends to make this seem pretty innocent (aah ****** clubs, do NOT leave your hair down ladies, trust me), just very very strange.

Dianyla
April 30th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Usually I just get bizarre questions, ranging from random to rude. Everything you can possibly imagine people might dare to ask has been asked. :rolleyes:

I dunno, not much fazes me anymore. :shrug:

ETA: I just remembered one particular event that was a little more creative than most. This clerk at my local grocery store approached me, asked a few questions about my hair, and then launched into his salespitch. He claimed to be writing a scifi novel featuring a longhaired female protagonist, and he wanted to interview me for "research" and would I possibly give him my number? :uhh:

kissedbyfyre
April 30th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Usually I just get bizarre questions, ranging from random to rude. Everything you can possibly imagine people might dare to ask has been asked. :rolleyes:

ETA: I just remembered one particular event that was a little more creative than most. This clerk at my local grocery store approached me, asked a few questions about my hair, and then launched into his pitch. He claimed to be writing a scifi novel featuring a longhaired female protagonist, and he wanted to interview me for "research" and would I possibly give him my number? :uhh:

LMAO! Props for a very creative way to hit on you! Still though, I think I may be the same. Not much effects me any more. I've done unpopular things for years, so reactions don't effect me much, nor do the shocked reactions. It makes having long hair easier to deal with.

Although mine is nothing compared to yours! I now enjoy telling people it was to my thighs. Even though I'm close, it's enough to prompt a serious double take. I either get the disbelief response or the "WHY?!?!? I kill you now!" response.

SHELIAANN1969
April 30th, 2008, 06:34 AM
kissedbyfyre, dont tell me you're in North Hollywood???

I used to live there and didn't realize that almost all adult "films" are made in the San Fernando Valley.

But the "real" Hollywood, now thats a "lively" little area.

EdG
April 30th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Very interesting stories!

One of the strangest comments I received was from a mechanic in an auto repair shop. He looked at me and remarked "You must have grown up among women!" :silly:
Ed

angelthadiva
April 30th, 2008, 07:05 AM

One of the strangest comments I received was from a mechanic in an auto repair shop. He looked at me and remarked "You must have grown up among women!" :silly:
Ed

BWAHAHAHA that is funny! Seriously though, did you?

Lady Godiva
April 30th, 2008, 07:09 AM
I've had many interesting comments and reactions over the years, including one just this past Sunday in church. I wore my hair in the half-up version of the Log Roll, with the tail hanging loose. Many of us enter into the nave from the entry by the pulpit, and as I entered, I felt a gentle tug on my tail. I felt a second tug as we proceeded by the pulpit. I glanced back, and it was our senior minister tugging my tail right in front of the congregation. I chuckled, and she chuckled back. I whispered that she was among the best company of those who tend to do that, meaning young children. She liked that comparison! :grin:

Another time, at a biker benefit band gig, I exited the bar during a break between sets to check out the bikes. I had worn my hair down, and the owner of a bike that I was looking at approached to ask if he could get a photo of me with him by his bike. He said he wanted to send it to his mom and tell the family that he was getting married to me, so the photo would be proof...:uhh: :lol:

Lamb
April 30th, 2008, 08:08 AM

Ed

Dumbest comment ever. I mean, unless you were brought up by Trappist monks, there must have been women around you when you were growing up... :rolleyes:

Xandergrammy
April 30th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Public people usually don't react to my hair, although twice while we were on vacation in Mississippi a few weeks ago, local women mentioned how long my hair was. The only time I ever have my hair down is at work and several of the women I work with like to twirl it and touch it, but that doesn't bother me.

Magdalene
April 30th, 2008, 08:51 AM
In Chinatown I had women following me around wanting to buy it. DH got very protective!

EdG
April 30th, 2008, 08:54 AM
BWAHAHAHA that is funny! Seriously though, did you?Not more women than usual (father, mother, sister, and myself). :)

Dumbest comment ever. I mean, unless you were brought up by Trappist monks, there must have been women around you when you were growing up...I think he was trying to be funny. I laughed. :D

Another time, at a biker benefit band gig, I exited the bar during a break between sets to check out the bikes. I had worn my hair down, and the owner of a bike that I was looking at approached to ask if he could get a photo of me with him by his bike. He said he wanted to send it to his mom and tell the family that he was getting married to me, so the photo would be proof...That is weird. I wonder what he'd do when his family asked when's the wedding? :rolleyes:
Ed

lora410
April 30th, 2008, 08:55 AM

Ed
Thats hilarious:rollin:

angelthadiva
April 30th, 2008, 08:58 AM
In Chinatown I had women following me around wanting to buy it. DH got very protective!

Ugh! That would totally creep me out! :(

lora410
April 30th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I would have been very freaked out if someone draped my hair over thiers; esp a stranger :tmi:

Lady Godiva
April 30th, 2008, 09:00 AM
That is weird. I wonder what he'd do when his family asked when's the wedding? :rolleyes:
Ed
Good point. He really made such a deal about it, too; it wasn't just a one-liner. :lol:

vindo
April 30th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Ever since my hair has been longer than Hip I have been experiencing more and more "reactions" to my hair.

The Internet is the worst and I cant even visit an innocent german hair Forum because of all the f e t i s h related comments :rolleyes: Mostly about chopping off long hair :(

If I wear my hair down in Public I get a lot of stares. I think women dont always stare for a good reason and might think : "Why doesnt she get a haircut" or "what a long stringy mess", but often men really seem to like it and they comment from time to time.

Most recent incident - a guy that works on the same floor (who I have never talked to) stopped when passing me and said: "Wow, I never knew your hair was that long.."
In Situations like that I dont even know what to say....Im usually not shy but things like that make me feel like being caught undressed..I just mumbled something like: " yeah my hair is always up.."

Regular comments I get quite frequently are "how did you grow it that long???" - as if it would be the most unusual thing in the world..:confused:
I also like this one -"how long did it take you?"
...every number I say seems to short, people think I must have been growing it my whole life O_O
I also get - "Is it naturally that straight?"
...surprises me people think I would straighten my hair...
:rolleyes: yeah at that length...really 'good' for it....

I could go on and on..:lol:

Luckily noone ever tried to wear my hair without permission. That would freak me out..:eek: ;)

noelgirl
April 30th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Not a public or human reaction even, but still pretty funny. You know how cats go after string? My former roommate's cat used to go after my hair like that. My roommate had short hair (even a shaved head at one point), so mine was a special treat :)

Saranne772
April 30th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I get strangers- particularly old ladies- coming up to me. They starting cooing over my hair then they coo over me:run:

And my little sister (by name only btw) does that. She is growing her hair- wont allow her mother to cut hers because she wants hair like mine. But she uses mine as a model! And she from India so my hair just about the same colour as her skin! Looks funny and I dont mind her doing it (except that its nearly always in the middle of the a church service:rolleyes: ) because she is my special little sis :D

I get comments from people at college and on the bus and etc/
Wow its so long
how long to wash
how long to dry
do you straighten etc
How much shampoo
How much conditioner
How long has it taken to grow
How long you growing it
Does hair actually grow that long?
Will you ever cut
etc etc etc etc

MemSahib
April 30th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I get the "Have you ever cut it?" question. Duh. Yessssssss. People have no idea.

One day I was browsing the pharmacy section of Wal-Mart and had my hair in a real French twist. This was when it was about tailbone so the twist was pretty massive as twists go. A man entered the aisle to shop, then frankly stared at my hair and asked how long it was. For some reason I had the idea he knew women with long hair because he instantly tumbled to the fact it had to be really long to make that big a F.T. He did nothing really out of the way, but I was ever-so-slightly uncomfortable and left pretty fast.

Lixie
April 30th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I was browsing in a shop, when I suddenly became aware of somebody stroking me. I turned around, and saw an older lady with her hands all tangled up in my hair. shudder:

She was quick to compliment me, but I was still creeped out by it. Not to mention stunned that she thought this was acceptable behavior.

Schnee
April 30th, 2008, 09:43 AM

When I was in China (Beijing) last year Ii had women "hanging" in my braids constantly... Try doing some shopping while you have 2-3 SAs in your hair and more coming in... Well, at least they forgot to try to sell me everything they had in their stalls... ;)

saracuda
April 30th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I was in the grocery store with my hair in two French braids and the teenage boy bagging my groceries told me my hair was "awesome" and that he was going to grow his like mine. I thought that was pretty cool. Not really weird, though. :)

Igor
April 30th, 2008, 10:40 AM
A fellow nurse started asking me questions about my hair and we chit-chatted for a while. I gave her the basics of my routine; supplements, conditioner, leave in-conditioner and up do’s
Then this conversation followed:
Her: So the only one who ever sees your hair down is your boyfriend?
Me: Yea (Well, that is the truth!)
Her: *smiles widely, winks at me and walks away*
Me: *confused*

It took me a few seconds to realise she thought it was some sort of ******-y and possibly religious thing… shudder:

Other than that, I get hair touchers a lot. Always old ladies though! Being a nurse I get in contact with a lot of old and people, often with dementia
They always give the same little speech: “Ooooh! Long hair! I used to have long hair too when I was younger!” and then they reach out to grab it.
I get a lot of attention from other members of the hospital staff and I don’t mind that. They never touch without permission. Some times I ask the most curious ones if they want to feel the weight of my braid and they always happily accept.
I don’t mind the attention or touching of other members of the staff since I can be sure they have a certain hand hygiene but those old ladies you never know… :draw:

willowcandra
April 30th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I always seem to get asked if I have ever cut it too.

I used to get people asking me if I had extensions. urgh that used to bug me.

icydove
April 30th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Most of my experiences have been really mild. The strangest thing I can recall is when an elderly woman asked me if I ever cut my hair. I asked her, "What do you mean?" She said, "I mean cut (makes scissors with her hands, lifts my hair up and proceeds to "cut" it) your hair?" I told her I trimmed it from time to time. She asked how long it took me to grow it that long and told me it was pretty. She meant well, but it was still strange.

Marianne
April 30th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Whilst watching my friends play at a gig I was tapped on the shoulder by a man in the crowd, who asked if he could smell my hair. I asked why, and he told me "because my friend is doing it and I want to, too" :suspect:

KajiKodomo
April 30th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Well, it's not really a public reaction, but one of my husband's friends once asked if he could touch my hair. I've since discovered that he has a thing for long black hair.

It was years ago though, when I was growing out black dye, and as my husband is still friends with him, I'm only slightly worried as I now keep my hair dyed black. :rolleyes: I know he means no harm, but it's slightly creepy.

Igor
April 30th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Whilst watching my friends play at a gig I was tapped on the shoulder by a man in the crowd, who asked if he could smell my hair. I asked why, and he told me "because my friend is doing it and I want to, too" :suspect:

shudder:

Yuck, seriously....

levelek
April 30th, 2008, 11:52 AM

I was browsing in a shop, when I suddenly became aware of somebody stroking me. I turned around, and saw an older lady with her hands all tangled up in my hair. shudder:
[snip]

YIKES. :shudder: I must be living in the well behaved part of town. I hardly ever get any comments, even though I used to wear my hair down all the time, and it's relatively long at waist/hip. The only predictable thing is hair down+skirt+makeup=constant male commentary on the street. :pins:

Saoirse
April 30th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Nothing that creepy, but it always weirds me out when people feel entitled to ask "how do you go to the bathroom?" :bigeyes: Uh, first of all: same way you do, jerkhead -- second of all, what on earth makes you think you can ask about my toilet habits?!

icydove
April 30th, 2008, 12:05 PM

That is creepy, but I still couldn't help laughing when I read it :lol:

AJoifulNoise
April 30th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Not exactly a member of the public, but it happened in public. I was out with my stepmom and she caught sight of my 30 braids (they had been there for a couple hours, dunno why she suddenly noticed). We were checking out at the dollar store when she saw them. She was utterly blown away and couldn't believe that it was all my hair. "Are these real?!?!" "Um, yeah..."

noelgirl
April 30th, 2008, 12:07 PM
One day in high school, it was really humid out and the few spiral curls I have decided to come out to play. Well, I was in science class, and I was working on the computer when I start to feel movement on my back - turns out that my lab partner was "boinging" the curls! It was interesting, to go the euphemism route.

AJoifulNoise
April 30th, 2008, 12:11 PM
One day in high school, it was really humid out and the few spiral curls I have decided to come out to play. Well, I was in science class, and I was working on the computer when I start to feel movement on my back - turns out that my lab partner was "boinging" the curls! It was interesting, to go the euphemism route.

Fellow students used to do that to me in middle school. Never really bothered me unless they actually touched my neck. :tmi:

zift
April 30th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Hehe good stories everyone. I've already told my weird ones a couple times but here I'll go again because they are interesting. Once an old lady at the hospital told me that I'd never starve to death. Ugh I said why? And than she said that if I didn't have any money I'd knit socks with my hair and sell and earn money:lol: That was very funny.
And once a lady again at the hospital almost attacked me:lol: smeeling kissing my hair and putting her face in it. She said I look and smelled like her daughter who is away. And I saw her a couple times the following days and everytime she saw me she came and hugged and stroked my hair,she must have missed her daughter very much:D
And once a little gypsie girl came and grabbed my hair and kept kissing and kissing and said I love your hair and shouted for her friends to come look at me. :lol:
I always get a lot of weird comments like other long hairs varying from exaggurated compliments to rude comments even insults,shoutings, touching stroking incidents and tugging hair/braid
And most weird of all I'm qite often mistaken as a man.:rolleyes: Once I heard a guy telling his friend this" Look at the guy in the front,he looks like an angel with his hair."
And once a lady scolded me and my boyfriend because of our long hair. She said why all the long hair like girls and said turning to BF"why you have the beard too. Why don't you at least shave like your friend. Look how clean he looks(pointing at me:lol:)"
And again once an old men mistaked me as a man and my hair was up in a bun with sticks. He hit on my stick and said "long hair,backpack,earrings,what are you a girl?" And I wasn't even wearing earrings:rolleyes: I said Yes I'm a girl and he shut the f... up when he realized how mistaken he was.
ETA: And this made me realize how much harder it must be to deal with comments when you're a man growing long hair.

Aisha25
April 30th, 2008, 12:39 PM
And most weird of all I'm qite often mistaken as a man.:rolleyes: Once I heard a guy telling his friend this" Look at the guy in the front,he looks like an angel with his hair."
And once a lady scolded me and my boyfriend because of our long hair. She said why all the long hair like girls and said turning to BF"why you have the beard too. Why don't you at least shave like your friend. Look how clean he looks(pointing at me:lol:)"
And again once an old men mistaked me as a man and my hair was up in a bun with sticks. He hit on my stick and said "long hair,backpack,earrings,what are you a girl?" And I wasn't even wearing earrings:rolleyes: I said Yes I'm a girl and he shut the f... up when he realized how mistaken he was.
ETA: And this made me realize how much harder it must be to deal with comments when you're a man growing long hair.[/quote]

Hahaha:rolling:.How weird to mistake you for a man.That lady who scolded your boyfriend one was too funny!

zift
April 30th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Hahaha:rolling:.How weird to mistake you for a man.That lady who scolded your boyfriend one was too funny!

Heheh yeah I live in Turkey so we came across a lot of people who are against long hair on men. And my bad luck to be a bit tall and with broad shoulders ,I'm being scolded too:P

snowbird
April 30th, 2008, 02:24 PM
My hair isn't very long, but it is really curly. Last week I was leaving my apartment...I live in a row home so the entrance is above street level by a few steps. Anyway, I walk out of my door and a group of schoolchildren were walking by my gate and stopped dead in their tracks staring at me. It was a bit like being on a stage and equally awkward. Then, one of the boys (aged about 9 or 10) shouts out 'what is a white girl doing with an afro like that!'. If that wasn't funny enough, the woman walking them told him to pipe down, that 'some people like their hair like that'. 8)
Her and I ended up having a good conversation while walking down the street together, she was actually quite nice. The kids were pretty OK too.

Xandergrammy
April 30th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I would have been very freaked out if someone draped my hair over thiers; esp a stranger :tmi:

Me too!! Ugh!!

CopperHead
April 30th, 2008, 03:02 PM

LOL! Well, at least he was polite enough to ask first. I was in Sally's some years back, and I was telling a woman how nice the conditioner I used smelled. She just grabbed my hair and stuck her face in it. She said I had yummy hair. That kind of surprised me.

I also received a PM at another long hair board from a New York stylist who wanted to cut my hair. He wanted to pay all expenses, but I politely told him I like my hair and don't want it cut. He never PM'd again so he must have gotten the point. He said he was a long hair specialist, so the cutting thing struck a very wrong cord with me.

Lamb
April 30th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Then, one of the boys (aged about 9 or 10) shouts out 'what is a white girl doing with an afro like that!'.

Seems like Martin Luther King's dream has come true after all... :D

Kleis
April 30th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Then, one of the boys (aged about 9 or 10) shouts out 'what is a white girl doing with an afro like that!'.

Funny! I was just in Tobago (next to Trinidad), where long hair is pretty well non-existent, but long dreads are common. I was there for a wedding, and due to snarky extended family comments on "women needing to cut their hair," I'd decided to wear mine down and flaunt it a bit. I walked by some school age kids at one point and one of them started screaming, "What is THAT? What the heck is THAT?"

The comments that make me roll my eyes the most are the short-haired people who try to tell me how to take care of it (unasked, of course). Especially if they preface their remarks with, "I used to have long hair, but it was so damaged I had to cut it off." So...why should I take your advice, then?

chrissy-b
April 30th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Not really a comment, but strange nonetheless...

When I was in middle school my hair was down to my bum, and I remember one of my schoolmates came up behind me while I was seated at a bench having lunch and grabbed a section of my hair. I turned around and when I saw that he was holding scissors in one hand and my hair in the other I slapped his hands away and yelled at him.

He thought it was funny. I did not.

florenonite
April 30th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Not really a comment, but strange nonetheless...

When I was in middle school my hair was down to my bum, and I remember one of my schoolmates came up behind me while I was seated at a bench having lunch and grabbed a section of my hair. I turned around and when I saw that he was holding scissors in one hand and my hair in the other I slapped his hands away and yelled at him.

He thought it was funny. I did not.

When my mum was at school there was one snooty girl in their class whom no one liked who had two long braids that she'd always toss over her shoulders in a vain manner. One day in sewing class someone decided to use her sewing scissors to cut off the girl's plaits! The poor girl must have been devastated!

Xanthippe
April 30th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Well, my hair's not that long yet, but a few weeks ago I was walking around with my friend and we were goofing off in the grassy quad and running around. I had my hair down that day (it's hip length). Suddenly my friend stops and goes, "Hey, that guy was taking pictures of the back of your head!" I turned around and this photographer nonchalantly turns the other way. Our university has a lot of professional and amateur photographers come in to use our architecture as a backdrop, so it wasn't weird that he was there, just weird that he took time out from his client's photoshoot to take a photo of my hair! I wasn't sure how to react to that one.

Alun
April 30th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I remember once chatting to a stranger in a pub and his GF asked if I was gay or a headbanger. Apparently, she thought that men with long hair fit into those two categories. I just told her I was a headbanger, LOL! OK, I have been known to dance to heavy metal sometimes, but that's certainly not a very big part of who I am. Not only that, but gay men usually seem to have short hair. Maybe she thought I was trying to chat up her BF? That thought never even occurred to me at the time, because I've never been that way inclined.

Islandgrrl
April 30th, 2008, 04:27 PM
When my mum was at school there was one snooty girl in their class whom no one liked who had two long braids that she'd always toss over her shoulders in a vain manner. One day in sewing class someone decided to use her sewing scissors to cut off the girl's plaits! The poor girl must have been devastated!

When I was in high school my hair was about hip length with a blunt hemline and I often wore it in a single braid down my back. They guy who sat behind me in AP Biology would often play with my hair during boring lecture times - sometimes he'd unbraid my hair and then braid it up again (we'd known each other our entire lives - it's not like he was a stranger). One day he got the not so brilliant idea to "even up" my braid tassel. So he started quietly trimming. Four inches later, I had a perfectly blunt braid tassel - and of course it was a disaster when I took it down.

Most frequent comments from when my hair was knee length: Is it real? How long did it take to get that long? Why don't I cut it and donate it to someone who needs it? And always the people asking if they could touch it. Ugh. It's just hair - why would you want to touch someone elses hair?????

moon-flower
April 30th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I have many similar experiences as you guys, but a rude one, was when I was in my graphic design class. I girl with neck length hair, wants longer hair. She used to have collar/ear length hair. Well for her Senior pics she wanted long hair and got extensions. They look bad in her hair compleatly unnatural. I had my hair down, and she asked,
"Let me touch your hair, Can I touch it?"
I said, "It feels like normal hair, except it's long."
(I really don't want people feeling my hair)
Later that during that class, I was sitting in a chair 2 feet or so away from her, when I turned my head I felt a tug on my hair. It was here and she had an evil smirk on her face. Kind of a haha I got you, success/satifaction thing.
"Let go of my hair"
"....smirk..."
"Let go of my HAIR!"
after 10 seconds, she did, but I was mad and others in my class saw how rude.
Oh, by the way she said "Your hair is stringy, you should cut it all, and regrown it out."
(AT least I have real hair.)
As if cuting it all would change my straight hair structure....

sapphire-o
April 30th, 2008, 05:13 PM
My hair isn't too long and I hardly get any comments. The only funny thing I can think of happened yesterday. I was shopping in a grocery store with my hair down because it's still damp. Then I got a call from my DH saying he couldn't find me in the store. Then I found out he's only in the next aisle. He asked me to turn around and said "Oh, I saw you from the behind a couple times and didn't realize it's you. Your hair looks so long and wavy and you're wearing a different coat." :D I couldn't believe him. My hair has been long and wavy for a looong time, he's the one helping me to measure it every month. To be honest I've never seen another person here with similar length and texture (maybe they all blow dry), what was he thinking?

zift
April 30th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Oh, by the way she said "Your hair is stringy, you should cut it all, and regrown it out."

Gggrrrrr:steam I get so mad at people like these! Bring her on and we'll teach her a lesson:demon: And your hair is NOT stringy! And agreed cutting it off will not change the texture at all(uum experienced and guaranteed by myself). You should have told her that she's in no place to judge your hair,all she could do is bow in front of you with awe and respect:smirk:

Lady Godiva
April 30th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Each of these shoving-hair-in-face experiences is reminding me again and again of the woman whom I wrote about recently who was at an outdoor gig and lifted my braid to check it out, then put the tassel in her mouth. :blueeek: :tmi:

I also received a PM at another long hair board from a New York stylist who wanted to cut my hair. He wanted to pay all expenses, but I politely told him I like my hair and don't want it cut. He never PM'd again so he must have gotten the point. He said he was a long hair specialist, so the cutting thing struck a very wrong cord with me.
Wow, this is reminding me of the stylists whom I've encountered, too. There was some other man who even gave me his business card to his salon, and he wanted to wash my hair, take care of it and style it (fortunately not cut it) for free. I got the sense that he thought it might be a sensational thing to do in his neck of the woods, and I'd be some kind of business-grabber for him. No thanks...

There was another woman stylist who really thought she knew everything. She also wanted me to visit her salon. She made a big ol' fuss in the women's restroom at that restaurant. It was weird how dominating she was.

Vicky Veiss
April 30th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Years ago when I used to commute on public transportation, some people on the bus one evening got into a group discussion of my hair. It was all braided and pinned up for work, but it was obviously very long -- I think that at the time it was at lower thigh.

I felt a little self-conscious, but perfectly willing to answer benign questions about how I washed it and so forth. Then one young woman announced that she played the violin, and she wanted to try stringing her bow with a lock of my hair to see how it would sound. So she more or less instructed me to cut some off for her on the spot.

I made the excuse that it was all pinned up at the time and would be difficult to take down and put up again. She accepted that for the moment, but then told me to wear it down the next time I took the bus. She'd have her scissors along. Eheheh... right... SURE I will, honey! Anything for a stranger who plays the violin!

I didn't take that particular bus again for quite a while, as you might imagine. :rolleyes:

zift
April 30th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I made the excuse that it was all pinned up at the time and would be difficult to take down and put up again. She accepted that for the moment, but then told me to wear it down the next time I took the bus. She'd have her scissors along. Eheheh... right... SURE I will, honey! Anything for a stranger who plays the violin!

:rollin:Bwahaha she must be kidding right?:uhh: right?:scared:

Lady Godiva
April 30th, 2008, 08:05 PM
You could tell her that you'd like to strip her bow down to make it useful for a few new hair sticks. :twisted:

Dianyla
April 30th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Good point. He really made such a deal about it, too; it wasn't just a one-liner. :lol:
With a story that contrived, I'd suspect him of being closeted and looking for a cover story. :shrug:

lirael
April 30th, 2008, 09:43 PM
A few years ago my hair was tailbone-length and my pediatrician asked me if ever pretended I was Lady Godiva. I have since found a new doctor.

Butters
April 30th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Hmm not a lot of weird comments here. I did get an extremely overjoyed, even gushing, compliment from a group of long haired women at the grocery store, Saturday. She was so excited it made me laugh. She was still talking about how long and pretty it was when I left. :lol:

trolleypup
April 30th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Not public, but a friend of mine had me collect sheds so he could use them for telegraph wires in his model train layout.

I regularly get people talking about my hair behind my back when I'm operating a streetcar...I just reach back and pull the stick out and voila thigh length hair...that typically gets a nice response.

But I can't think of any really unusual reactions. Although Dianyla and I sometimes get cute comments.

kikuko
April 30th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Not a public or human reaction even, but still pretty funny. You know how cats go after string? My former roommate's cat used to go after my hair like that. My roommate had short hair (even a shaved head at one point), so mine was a special treat :)

When I was 8 I had hair to may waist like I do now and that's how we chose my first cat from the Humane Society. He reached through the bars to play with my hair.

littlemiss
April 30th, 2008, 11:09 PM
This a human not public reaction, I work with autistic children and they have extra sensory issues. I had a little boy in my class that would climb over chairs tables and people to get up close to my hair, he was in to the smell and would try to stick his whole little head among my hair, it was cute, did over whelm me the first time tho!!

Rebelkat
May 1st, 2008, 12:17 AM
When I was in high school, some guy that was sitting behind me (apparently had a hair ******) decided to BITE my hair! I was so appalled, words can't even describe it. Needless to say, knowing it was a ****** thing, I slapped him pretty hard. He never did it again.:smack:

Then there's the people who insist I'm growing it to donate it, and when I tell them I'm not, they get p***ed. One woman told me that I was going to Hell because vanity is a sin and that it is terribly selfish of me to have such long hair when there are so many people suffering without it. I responded,"Well, the Bible also says that passing judgement is a sin, so I guess I'll see you there." I know that my response was equally rude, but I just couldn't stop myself.

People have such nerve.:brickwall

Nat242
May 1st, 2008, 01:47 AM
Good response, Rebelkat! Some people are unbelievably rude (and I don't mean you)...sometimes people never think about what they say because people don't call them on it. Good on you for saying something! Maybe she'll think twice next time :thumbsup:

-- Natalie

HollowHannah
May 1st, 2008, 03:10 AM
I've had a few weird experiences with my hair. Nothing like some of the stories on her though lol. I get it in school all the time. All the usual questions, How long did it take, do you ever cut it. One girl said it looked like a unicorns tail a proceded to mess with it. Odd.

snowbird
May 1st, 2008, 10:23 AM
Seems like Martin Luther King's dream has come true after all... :D

that made me laugh out loud :laugh:

Alun
May 1st, 2008, 11:18 AM
With a story that contrived, I'd suspect him of being closeted and looking for a cover story. :shrug:

That's what I thought when I read that.

vindo
May 1st, 2008, 12:04 PM
I have many similar experiences as you guys, but a rude one, was when I was in my graphic design class. I girl with neck length hair, wants longer hair. She used to have collar/ear length hair. Well for her Senior pics she wanted long hair and got extensions. They look bad in her hair compleatly unnatural. I had my hair down, and she asked,
"Let me touch your hair, Can I touch it?"
I said, "It feels like normal hair, except it's long."
(I really don't want people feeling my hair)
Later that during that class, I was sitting in a chair 2 feet or so away from her, when I turned my head I felt a tug on my hair. It was here and she had an evil smirk on her face. Kind of a haha I got you, success/satifaction thing.
"Let go of my hair"
"....smirk..."
"Let go of my HAIR!"
after 10 seconds, she did, but I was mad and others in my class saw how rude.

How rude..reminds me on my High School Bullies.
Its so obvious that this girl is envious..and stringy is the best excuse she can come up with? :rolleyes:

Hope she leaves your hair alone in the future..I cant stand people like that. Thats crossing the line.

Nightshade
May 1st, 2008, 12:58 PM
Had a few most of them more amusing than creepy.

My all time favorite, and I know I've told this one before, is when I was out shopping and had a little girl who was about 3-4 grab onto her mother, point to me and exclaim, "MOMMA! She has PRINCESS HAIR!" :inlove:
At a wedding reception I had another younger girl (about 8 if I had to guess) say, "You have Ariel hair, it's pretty." Took me until I got home to get that she meant The Little Mermaid. :cloud9:
The last time (several years ago) when I had my hair in two braids I had a complete stranger grab them and snap them (gently) like reins and make the clicking sound you make when you want a horse to get going. :horse:
At work I had another lady pass me in the hall and tug on the end of my french braid. I turned to look at her and she had her hands up to her face, completly embarassed. She said, "Omigod, I'm so sorry I didn't even mean to do that I just did." It was funny :lol:
I've had a few requests to pet my hair, some creepy, some sweet. My favorite was an older woman at the grocery store who gently put a hand on my hair and said, "It's so nice to see someone with proper hair. Never cut it." She herself had a very elegant updo, but I didn't want to pry and ask how long hers was. :o Just guessing, I'd have said mid-back by the volume of the updo.

GlennaGirl
May 1st, 2008, 02:48 PM
This a human not public reaction, I work with autistic children and they have extra sensory issues. I had a little boy in my class that would climb over chairs tables and people to get up close to my hair, he was in to the smell and would try to stick his whole little head among my hair, it was cute, did over whelm me the first time tho!!

My middle son, age almost five, who is autistic, has been obsessed with my hair from birth, and my hair is not even that long. But he's always wanted to be right up close to it, tangling his fingers through it again and again, sometimes putting his face into it.

He used to grab my DH's hair too, until my DH shaved his head! Not for that reason. Well, not for that reason alone, anyway...LOL.

Especially as a younger child, he would also grab the hair of literally any woman who picked him up. His teachers, etc. For some reason, never any man except my DH. But women are apparently fair game in the hair-fingering department for him.

For a very long time--probably about three years--he couldn't fall asleep unless he was tangling his fingers over and over again in either my or DH's hair.

His little brother got the habit from him and they both drive me crazy with it. I don't think I'll have non-frayed hair for another 10 years or so! :p

Saranne772
May 1st, 2008, 03:12 PM
Aww that is so sweet about the Autistic Children mentioned :D

I remember once sitting in church with my hair down. (It was a conference and every seat was filled) and there was a little girl sat behind me and she (I know her family well) reached forward and stroked the length of hair that she could reach :D I didn't acknowledge it but I didn't mind and was so sweet. Her mother stopped her pretty soon though :D

Quirky&Perky
May 1st, 2008, 06:33 PM
Nightshade, that's so cool that she called it 'proper' hair, since most people consider it to be UNproper hair!

I mostly get comments like "Wow it's long." I want to say something like "you noticed!" but I don't know how they mean it- so I just smile and say 'thanks' and try to make it very clear that I choose to take that as a compliment. They usually leave it at that. I had one friend that every time I saw her would make cutting motions with her hands over my hair. Every. Time. :shrug: She never really explained why she did that and I tried to ignore it. The kids I babysit are always telling me how beautiful my hair is! I LOVE it! :happydance:
One thing that annoys me is that girls are always telling me how they used to have long hair. I always get the feeling that they are implying that it's just a phase and I'll get over it or something :confused:. Right. Whatever.
One thing I try to do is if I catch myself staring at someone's awe-inspiring hair I make sure to compliment them, because I always wonder why people are staring at me. Is it because my hair is pretty or wierd to them or ugly? I try to follow the Golden Rule as far as thats concerned. :o

Kallie

HeavenlyTresses
May 2nd, 2008, 07:45 AM
It's so weird when peope come up and say "Wow, your hair is so long!" Uh . . . :confused: yeah . . . um, thanks?

I had an older man at a flea market ask me if he could touch it then he started to rub it all over his face. Okay, time to go now :run:. Come on kids, we are gonna run away from the creepy old guy now.

I had an old boyfriend ask me to make a small braid he could cut off for a hatband for his cowboy hat. I made one at the nape of my neck so you wouldn't really see where I cut it. It stretched all the way across the dashboard in his car until he put it on his hat. At the time I didn't think it was weird but now I'm like, wth? I guess it was like the old fashioned men having a lock of their loved ones hair.

Carolyn
May 2nd, 2008, 07:56 AM
Had a few most of them more amusing than creepy.
My all time favorite, and I know I've told this one before, is when I was out shopping and had a little girl who was about 3-4 grab onto her mother, point to me and exclaim, "MOMMA! She has PRINCESS HAIR!" :inlove:
At a wedding reception I had another younger girl (about 8 if I had to guess) say, "You have Ariel hair, it's pretty." Took me until I got home to get that she meant The Little Mermaid. :cloud9:
I've had a few requests to pet my hair, some creepy, some sweet. My favorite was an older woman at the grocery store who gently put a hand on my hair and said, "It's so nice to see someone with proper hair. Never cut it." She herself had a very elegant updo, but I didn't want to pry and ask how long hers was. :o Just guessing, I'd have said mid-back by the volume of the updo.Little old ladies and kids give the best compliments! When I'd go visit my mom when she was in the nursing home, I would get compliments from the female residents. I loved that :o

One time I was in the ladies room at Von Maur's and I was detangling and brushing my hair. There was a little girl next to me and her mom was helping her wash her hands. She said something like "Mommy look at her hair, it's so pretty". I smiled at the little girl but the mom just glared at me and hustled her child out. I wonder if the mom reacted that way because her daughter wanted long hair and she wanted her to have it short. Could the seed of long hair in the future have been planted? :cool: Mwaaaa ha ha ha :D

vindo
May 2nd, 2008, 08:06 AM
Ok I am at work right now and I feel uncomfortable..:(

My Coworker just grabbed my hair and threw it up in the air..:mad:..I didnt even know how to react..she almost 'ran' by me.. saying "ooooh looong haair!" with a weird smiley face.
I dont like her..she is a very shallow person that as soon as you turn around stabs you in the back.
I prefer not to interfere with her...(I just get long stories about her short hair and how she punishes herself with chocolate when shes frustrated)
She feels the need to comment about my hair all the time, saying how thin it is...:rolleyes:
She also likes to make negative remarks about my figure but thats another topic..
Just a very uncomfortable person to be around..-_-

mira-chan
May 2nd, 2008, 09:04 AM
I've had an elderly Russian lady ask if she could "grope" (squeeze type touch, no better translation) my braid because she really liked it and it reminded her of her hair and that of other girls at school when she was a child. She wasn't a complete stranger, we were seat neighbors on a bus trip and were talking so I allowed it.

My weirdest reaction wasn't public, it was from my oh so wonderful grandfather in Russia who kindly offered to sell my hair for me if I cut it then. It wasn't an anti hair comment too, it was getting more money one, and I certainly didn't mention needing the extra cash.:nono:

Tapioca
May 2nd, 2008, 09:30 AM
There is an older couple at church that usually sit behind us. At least twice a month, they'll comment on my hair. They definitely like it down. I get complaints if I put it up.

thunderlilies
May 2nd, 2008, 10:05 AM
Some these stories are just hilarious!

I had a rather funny reaction last Saturday. We were over at some friends house and their daughter was playing with my hair after lunch... she was twirling it, braiding it, etc, then she pulled it straight out to the side and her dad leaned forward to get a better look and said "Wow! How far does it go!? Wow, that IS long, isn't it?!" With this incredulous look on his face. I was a bit embarrassed :P
Later on he was holding my daughter and everybody was noticing how fuzzy and thick her hair is getting (she's 4 months old) and he asked her "are you going to have long hair like mommy's someday?" lol :) Too funny!

Speedbump
May 2nd, 2008, 06:44 PM
I don't often get a lot of weird comments; mostly I get weird *looks* and hair compliments from weird *people*. :lol: One of the best hair compliments I ever got was from a homeless guy at the post office. He did a perfect drive-by hair compliment and it wasn't uncomfortable at all.

When I was in the hospital last week, I finally did get the "have you ever cut it?" comment from one of the nurses, who nearly all mentioned my hair at one point or another. I told her that I do trim it once or twice a year, and explained about average hair growth, etc. etc.

A co-worker did yank on my braid once right in the middle of the newsroom. He got yelled at right in the middle of the newsroom, too. :twisted: He never did that again. Jerk. :smack:

The only other "weird" incidents have been the occasional hair sniffer and a waitress at Applebee's accidentally dropping an entire ramekin of teriyaki sauce in my hair. This was years ago so my hair was shorter and a lot bigger. :lol: I didn't even FEEL it in there and we couldn't figure out where it went until sauce started slowly flowing down my shoulder. Then I realized what happened, and dug around and found the ramekin. :o It was a great way to get a free lunch, and it didn't even ruin my shirt! :p

As for the hair sniffers: I always know the sniffers are there -- I'm not sure why they think they are being subtle when I hear the big sniffing noises behind me. Sometimes it's creepy but sometimes it's funny. I think my mood dictates how I react to their weirdness.

eadwine
May 3rd, 2008, 04:02 AM
She also likes to make negative remarks about my figure but thats another topic..

Annoying, that sort of thing. For what it is worth, I think you look just fine from what I have seen :)

Saldana
May 3rd, 2008, 07:15 AM
The last time (several years ago) when I had my hair in two braids I had a complete stranger grab them and snap them (gently) like reins and make the clicking sound you make when you want a horse to get

When I was working home health, I seldom wore my hair down, but when I did, it was usually braided. The ONLY time I ever had 'hair touching issues' was when I wore two braids. For some reason, that was the one hairstyle my clients (almost all older males, veterans) could not resist touching - usually tugging. I just stopped wearing two braids. :)

I get very little public comment on my hair (long hair is not that uncommon in New Mexico), but there was one time I was out walking on a break at work, and some guy driving by in a pickup truck yelled something incoherent in an angry tone as he passed - all I could make out of it was something about 'hair' (which was down at the time). The only thing I could figure was that as he approached me from the back, he thought I was much younger than I actually am, and as he passed, he realized that he had been 'cruising' some old lady....*wicked grin*

Speaking of 'old ladies'....
I have noted that many many of our stories have to do with older people - especially older ladies- touching/petting/wanting to touch our hair.

Although it might seem creepy (and not permissable if you're uncomfortable with it), I try to remember that the older we get, the more 'personal space' we're given in most western societies. Older people don't get touched and often don't have other people to touch - especially in cultures where their peers and spouses are passing away, their children are grown and gone, and their grandchildren might live hundreds of miles away. The only human touch they may get is the occasional brush of a cashier's hand, or maybe, if they're lucky, an occasional sideways hug from a medical or social work professional. I've had older people literally cling to my hand when I've given them a handshake or reached out to take their pulse.

With older ladies, especially, the long hair comments and touching might be their attempt to try to make some sort of connection, to let somebody see that they are not invisible, that they, too, have memories and historys and value. The older men I suspect are often trying to do the same thing, but it comes across as annoying sexual....I try to remember that oftentimes, men spent lifetimes being valued on their sexual assertiveness, and honestly don't know any other way to reach out.

Personally, I try to keep those human needs in mind, while still maintaining my own boundaries. So often, I feel so sad for elders in modern American society. So long as the interaction is appropriate, I do make efforts to find ways that I can acknowledge a lonely elder's attempts to make contact.

Levels of need for touch vary among individuals, but the older we get, the more 'hands off' and invisible we tend to become (I'm speaking statistically here, folks....)...imagine being a high-touch-need 83 year old whose spouse has died, whose intimate friends have died or moved in with their daughter two states away.....anyway.

I'm going to get off my soapbox now...if I've highjacked, I apologize...I guess I just needed to get it off my chest. :)

n3m3sis42
May 3rd, 2008, 09:12 AM
One thing that annoys me is that girls are always telling me how they used to have long hair. I always get the feeling that they are implying that it's just a phase and I'll get over it or something :confused:. Right. Whatever.

Quirky&Perky, maybe they just miss their own long hair? I know that if I were to say something like that to someone when my hair was shorter, it would have been in that context. Although I think I would probably actually say, "I used to have long hair... seeing yours makes me miss it!"

Just a thought. :)

Quirky&Perky
May 3rd, 2008, 09:33 AM
Quirky&Perky, maybe they just miss their own long hair? I know that if I were to say something like that to someone when my hair was shorter, it would have been in that context. Although I think I would probably actually say, "I used to have long hair... seeing yours makes me miss it!"

Yeah, I would think that too, except for the way they say it.
When my hair was thicker I did have a girl tell me how cutting their hair was a mistake because it once was as long as mine, and I thought maybe I inspired her to grow her hair out again and that was sort of exciting.

n3m3sis42
May 3rd, 2008, 09:37 AM
Yeah, I would think that too, except for the way they say it.
When my hair was thicker I did have a girl tell me how cutting their hair was a mistake because it once was as long as mine, and I thought maybe I inspired her to grow her hair out again and that was sort of exciting.

I can see how the tone and subtext would make a huge difference. Some people are just plain bitchy and should really keep their comments to themselves.

It's neat that you potentially made someone feel inspired to grow their hair again, though!

camillacamilla
May 3rd, 2008, 06:39 PM
It wasn't really strange, but I used to be a federal employee, and sometimes my co-workers of different ethnicities liked to play with/poke thru my hair because of the different texture. I didn't mind, as they were just curious and I had a very open relationship with them. I have fine textured, straight-with-wavy-patches, thick hair, which was different than what they had.

Lixie
May 3rd, 2008, 07:47 PM
Saldana, I completely understand where you're coming from, and you raise very important points. I also realise you’re not getting at me in any way. :)

While I understand the human need for social contact, I feel it was unfair for the lady (in the situation I wrote about) to initiate uninvited physical contact from behind and on such a personal level. If she wished to get my attention and start a conversation, there were other ways she could have done it.

I can understand her need for contact, but I feel she either did not understand or appreciate my need for personal space. The lady in question did not give off a positive vibe, the way she was touching me was an extremely uncomfortable and weird experience on my part.

I’m sorry if my post wasn’t worded as well as it could have been. :flowers:

intothemist1999
May 3rd, 2008, 08:59 PM
The Internet is the worst and I cant even visit an innocent german hair Forum because of all the f e t i s h related comments :rolleyes: Mostly about chopping off long hair :(

Ohhhh, ok, this is news for me! I always thought the f*tish was about HAVING (and keeping!!) long hair (on the partner, presummably, rather than oneself -?).

I never realized the turn-on centred around chopping it off!

intothemist1999
May 3rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
Other than that, I get hair touchers a lot. Always old ladies though! Being a nurse I get in contact with a lot of old and people, often with dementia
They always give the same little speech: “Ooooh! Long hair! I used to have long hair too when I was younger!” and then they reach out to grab it.

I don’t mind the attention or touching of other members of the staff since I can be sure they have a certain hand hygiene but those old ladies you never know… :draw:

There IS that! :) I've had only one old lady at the care home touch my hair. She's a real sweety and not TOO senile and we were having a little chit-chat and she said, "oh, you have nice long hair...and it's so soft!" and stoked it. Now, it WAS pulled over my shoulder so she was getting close to OTHER bits that shouldn't be stroked by someone not your SO in public *lol* (and arguably not even by your SO, in public! LOL) However, I'm pretty laid back about it all so I wasn't weirded out by her. She the kind of sweet thing that probably would have done that, too, in her "good" days.

I wonder if it's a generational thing, or is it that we are less concerned with propriety as we get older? :)

intothemist1999
May 3rd, 2008, 09:16 PM

LOL! Weird, but hilarious!! To a third party :D

vindo
May 3rd, 2008, 11:00 PM
Ohhhh, ok, this is news for me! I always thought the f* tish was about HAVING (and keeping!!) long hair (on the partner, presummably, rather than oneself -?).

I never realized the turn-on centred around chopping it off!

There is two kinds..people that have a long hair f* tish.
And then people that have a long hair being cut f* tish...:rolleyes:

There is really ugly websites about that...I once came across a troll who talk women into cutting off their long hair. They way he talked was so weird..
"men dont like that wool on your head"
"get rid of the long mess"
I looked up his profile and website and what I saw shocked me..:(..its also very violent...I dont think I should talk to much about it on the public boards maybe.

WaimeaWahine
July 5th, 2008, 03:22 AM
- A very unkempt man in his late 60's approached me in the
bank and after eying my pony tail, literally growled at me,
"Yer cuuute!"

- Little girl in pool changing room recently practically burned
a hole through me just staring. "It's not nice to stare at people,"
I said matter of factly, which made her mother stare at me.

- "Is that your natural hair color"/stares/getting me confused
with other ethnicities.

- Two guys at a concert sitting behind me kept giggling and
tugging on my hair. After turning around and leaning over the
back of my seat and gesturing a punch, I sat down only to be
called a slew of bitter profanities. Again I turned around,
"What's the matter? You don't like me no more?" Peace ensued.

- Within the past year, a college teacher reached out and groped
my hair and so did a grocery store clerk who just walked up
behind me without a word. Both were later reported for sexual
harassment. I was so disgusted.

- When my hair was shaved down to less than 1/2 an inch some
guy spat on me once at a bus stop while calling me a lesbian.
Others assumed I had cancer. Good grief.

Hair is just hair. It doesn't make me or break me. :)

Palomine
July 5th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I went to use the cashpoint (ATM) earlier today and while I was focusing on the screen, the fairly well dressed businessman type who'd just finished using the cashpoint next to mine said, "You be careful you don't get all that hair caught in the slot and the machine doesn't swallow you," It just made me laugh, I couldn't think of anything witty to say back. :)

jenna
July 5th, 2008, 03:31 PM
the comment i get the most online/offline is the dreaded "you should cut it and donate it" deal. like it's the only reason to have long hair. x.x and that reminds me of a picture i saw on flickr last night about this woman who had knee length hair and was chopping it to donate to LoL. ay yi yi.

other than that, though, i have been asked when i last cut it but i really haven't had any negative/weird comments so far.

swanns
July 5th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Nothing really strange has ever happened to me, hair-wise at least :p

Once when I was in town with my hair down (and it was at least 3'' shorter than it is now) this random man, maybe in his fifties, shouted "Nice hair!" after me. It was quite nice but also made me feel a bit uncomfortable.

Oh and if I'm wearing my hair up when I meet someone for the first time, it's funny to see their faces when I take it down - I especially remember this one time at work when I was wearing it in a bun and took it down for the coffee break. This new girl just stared at me for a few seconds, then said "You have LONG hair."

I also get funny looks when I tell people my hair was about 2'' long 4 years ago, they always seem to think I'm lying. Why would I lie about something like that?

It's not even that long! Well, at least not by the LHC standards ;)

VanillaTresses
July 5th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Each of these shoving-hair-in-face experiences is reminding me again and again of the woman whom I wrote about recently who was at an outdoor gig and lifted my braid to check it out, then put the tassel in her mouth.

What the heck!? Reading all of these has really made me think that if I ever reach the longer lengths that I might want to disguise the length in certain public places... Really don't even want to know what is going through some people's minds!

ladykemma
July 5th, 2008, 07:35 PM
What the heck!? Reading all of these has really made me think that if I ever reach the longer lengths that I might want to disguise the length in certain public places... Really don't even want to know what is going through some people's minds!

yeah i started putting my hair up in public after i got followed around the grocery store by some guy....it was hip length at the time.

I didn't realize there were hair sniffers??????? what?!

missmanytoes
July 5th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I don't often braid my hair and I don't often wear it down. When I do braid or wear it down I will pull it over my shoulder when in public so that I can maintain control of it. I've had the usual "have you ever cut it" and "wow, you have long hair". My favorite comment came from a little kid, probably around 8-10, who asked (in an awe struck voice, mind you) "how long is your hair"? The really great thing? My hair was in a bun that day. The woman this kid was with only had shoulder length hair, so I don't know how he knew it was long, but apparently he did. The weirdest reaction was several years ago from some stranger who opined that long hair is "dirty". Now a days I'd wonder if he meant f e t i s h-wise, but back then I had NO idea.

SearMeCarefully
July 7th, 2008, 11:06 PM
When I was in high school, some guy that was sitting behind me (apparently had a hair ******) decided to BITE my hair! I was so appalled, words can't even describe it. Needless to say, knowing it was a ****** thing, I slapped him pretty hard. He never did it again.:smack:

Then there's the people who insist I'm growing it to donate it, and when I tell them I'm not, they get p***ed. One woman told me that I was going to Hell because vanity is a sin and that it is terribly selfish of me to have such long hair when there are so many people suffering without it. I responded,"Well, the Bible also says that passing judgement is a sin, so I guess I'll see you there." I know that my response was equally rude, but I just couldn't stop myself.

*sings* Did I ever tell you you were my heeerrrro?! :D

MoonCreature
July 8th, 2008, 05:09 AM
I've had people sneak up behind me and grab my hair, just to know how thick it feels, all my life. Many of them actually my teachers :confused: The last time was a few years ago, I just felt how someone lifted my hair, I turned around and saw my really embarresed finnish-teacher who just said something like "I've been wondering for two years now how thing it really is, I'm so sorry..". Well, she could've just asked, I don't get how people think I wouldn't notice? :rolleyes:

Sarahmoon
July 8th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Oh and if I'm wearing my hair up when I meet someone for the first time, it's funny to see their faces when I take it down - I especially remember this one time at work when I was wearing it in a bun and took it down for the coffee break. This new girl just stared at me for a few seconds, then said "You have LONG hair."

WHY do some people think you have short hair when you wear it up? I mean... they should notice they can't do that with their own short hair, right? :rolleyes:

The funniest reaction I had was when I was redoing my braid, the guy next to me said "Amazing how women can do that behind their head." and when I brought it over my head to continue, he said "Now you're cheating!"

noelgirl
July 8th, 2008, 06:29 AM
One time I was carded at the liquor store, and I was wearing my hair up, but in my license photo I was wearing it down. The guy somehow couldn't tell that I was wearing it up and thought that I had cut it! He was like, "What happened to all that beautiful hair?" After I told him that I was just wearing it up, he asked me to turn around so that he could see the bun. Ultimately it was a compliment, but strange all the same.

Delenn
July 8th, 2008, 07:07 AM
One time I was carded at the liquor store, and I was wearing my hair up, but in my license photo I was wearing it down. The guy somehow couldn't tell that I was wearing it up and thought that I had cut it! He was like, "What happened to all that beautiful hair?" After I told him that I was just wearing it up, he asked me to turn around so that he could see the bun. Ultimately it was a compliment, but strange all the same.

LOL! It's like "Clark Kent" syndrome for hair. It's UP! OMG, where did it goooooo! It's DOWN, oh WHEW there it is! :D

centurytoolate
July 8th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Noelgirl's comment just reminded me of something that happened a long time ago. I was working in a grocery store and my hair at that point was probably between bsl and waist. One evening I decided to pin curl it. Went into work the next day with it all curly(it curls WAY up when I do this). One of the older checkers looked at me and just about wailed, "you cut off all of your beautiful hair!" I kind of looked at him for a second cause I honestly had no idea what he was talking about. When I realized I assured him that I had not cut it and that this was just the result of curling-it would be back to normal length in a day or two!

yldchyld
July 8th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I have certain male coworkers that think it's okay to yank on my braid. I don't mind a gentle tug from a person I know because I realize it's a form of affection but this one guy YANKS on it. I finally told him that if he pulled that hard on my braid again I was going to deck him. (I'm X-military with law enforcement training, so most people leave me alone if I threaten to hurt them. ;) )

anyway, he says "Oh, does that hurt?"

Uh YEAH....It's attached to my HEAD. Duh.

I get comments from older people but never anything weird. Just the general

"How long have you been growing it?"

I've been growing it all my life, but I get it trimmed about 6 inches every year - which confuses them. Plus there was that stint in Boot Camp, when I had a really cute swing bob.

and the dreaded "You should donate it to LOL"

burns_erin
July 8th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I never really get too strange of comments but DH and my dad do all the time.

The strangest thing that ever happened to DH was for a while a Middle Eastern family operated the convenience store near our house. Whenever the mother was there (she was in her 60's and did not speak very good English) she would say to him "You shake hair, give for free" and he would take his hair down from the pony tailer, and then shake his head like one of those women in a shampoo commercial. She would smile looking very satisfied, and let him have whatever he wanted for free. We found it hilarious.

harley mama
July 8th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I had a guy that works at a mall kiosk (selling curling irons) ask me if he could curl my hair???
I asked him if it looked like I needed curlier hair and turned around so he could see it (my hair).
He just smiled and attacked the next passerby.

Siava
July 8th, 2008, 12:16 PM
burns erin, that's cute. :)

ljc
July 8th, 2008, 12:56 PM
a few years back while setting up for a gig with my band, a lady came up and asked if she could braid my hair. It was her bachelorette party and her friends had goaded her into asking me. I let her.

LJC

brixxgirl16
July 8th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Nightshade, that's so cool that she called it 'proper' hair, since most people consider it to be UNproper hair!

I mostly get comments like "Wow it's long." I want to say something like "you noticed!" but I don't know how they mean it- so I just smile and say 'thanks' and try to make it very clear that I choose to take that as a compliment. They usually leave it at that. I had one friend that every time I saw her would make cutting motions with her hands over my hair. Every. Time. :shrug: She never really explained why she did that and I tried to ignore it. The kids I babysit are always telling me how beautiful my hair is! I LOVE it! :happydance:
One thing I try to do is if I catch myself staring at someone's awe-inspiring hair I make sure to compliment them, because I always wonder why people are staring at me. Is it because my hair is pretty or wierd to them or ugly? I try to follow the Golden Rule as far as thats concerned. :o

Kallie

I think girls tell you about how their hair used to be long because they're jealous and somehow want you to know that they could have hair like that...
or at least that's my analysis of that reaction. :confused:

misstwist
July 8th, 2008, 02:29 PM
I think girls tell you about how their hair used to be long because they're jealous and somehow want you to know that they could have hair like that...
or at least that's my analysis of that reaction. :confused:

People tell stories about how their hair used to be long because we have a basic need to communicate and relate to others.

Long hair is a distinctive feature. By commenting on how long yours is and how long theirs used to be they are attempting to form a basic bond based on commonality.

Also, most people are lousy conversationalists and fulfill their need to communicate with others by commenting on the obvious. :)

It's the same reason your dog starts to bark when the neighbor's dog barks.

There is no reason to impute jealousy or negative motives or emotions to such a comment. Doing so leads to responding to others in a snippy and mean-spirited way. It's better to respond with a generous spirit and use the opportunity to get to know others (and avoid talking about yourself).

"You used to have long hair, too? I like this haircut on you, why did you cut it?"

"You used to have long hair, too? Do you want it to be long again?"

I find that these responses lead to more interesting conversations and put the focus back on the original questioner.

As someone who is deeply introverted, but in the public eye because I'm an entertainer, I've learned that turning the conversation back in that manner saves me a great deal of sanity. I don't have to reveal much about myself and the other person does most of the talking.

Alethia
July 8th, 2008, 02:33 PM

I was considered pretty snooty in school and was not well liked. I had hair almost down to my waist, and one day the girl behind me spent the entire class sticking paper reinforcment rings all the way through it when she got the chance. It took me hours to find them all and get them out without ripping my hair. At least it wasn't permanent unlike that poor girl having her braids cut. The upside of that particular event was that I eventually stood up for myself and swore loudly at her and threatened violence if she ever touched me again. She left me alone after that........

ETA : This isn't weird, but it's one of my fondest memories. When my dad worked in Africa, sometimes we'd go offroad and travel the country (Nigeria at this point) in a beat up old Landrover with everything we needed. One night we got completely stuck in a muddy rutted road and all the young men from a village 2 miles up the road came to help us. While the men were doing their macho thing, I was sitting in the village on a wooden bench. I took my hair out of its scarf and started combing out the tangles from the dusty day travelling. Soon I was surrounded by small children who were stroking my hair in wonder. Some of them were young enough that they'd never have seen a white woman before, because the village was very remote. The moon was huge, bright and full in an incredibly clear sky. It was casting shadows, and the crickets were chirruping fit to bust. The light caught the children's eyes and teeth as they smiled up at me. They were so gentle and so sweet, I didn't feel like pulling it away from them.

HalcyonDays
July 8th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Alethia - that's so lovely with the children. Really lovely.
And who cares after that what a snotty little kid from school thought, especially one pathetic enough to spend the entire lesson sticking things in your hair. Did they not have anything else to do? What a loser...

Maravel
July 8th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Oh this is wonderful. I've just read the whole thread top to bottom.

I have to say, I'm glad my hair hasn't started grabbing the attention of the hair sniffers, pullers, face-buriers, and ... *gasp* well. I don't know what I'd do if someone put MY hair in THEIR mouth. That just freaks me out, big time!

My mother is actually a special ed teacher, and she has an autistic student named William. He is VERY into smelling hair. With him, he is so innocent that it doesn't bother me at all, even though he's six-foot-something and a little overwhelming at times. I think it's just adorable and love him oodles.

Faepirate
July 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I had a slightly creepy man on a bus come and talk at me for the entire journey about how I looked just like a Pre-Raphaelite painting, and then proceed to read poetry to me (which he had written himself, apparently!). It would have been nice if it weren't for the creepiness. I'm sure he was harmless but I was getting SERIOUS CREEPY VIBES. Yes.

o_O

Juli414
July 8th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Ok I am at work right now and I feel uncomfortable..:(

My Coworker just grabbed my hair and threw it up in the air..:mad:..I didnt even know how to react..she almost 'ran' by me.. saying "ooooh looong haair!" with a weird smiley face.
I dont like her..she is a very shallow person that as soon as you turn around stabs you in the back.
I prefer not to interfere with her...(I just get long stories about her short hair and how she punishes herself with chocolate when shes frustrated)
She feels the need to comment about my hair all the time, saying how thin it is...:rolleyes:
I'm way slow coming to this thread, but I just have to give you a hug.

DaveDecker
July 8th, 2008, 06:14 PM
... The strangest thing that ever happened to DH was for a while a Middle Eastern family operated the convenience store near our house. Whenever the mother was there (she was in her 60's and did not speak very good English) she would say to him "You shake hair, give for free" and he would take his hair down from the pony tailer, and then shake his head like one of those women in a shampoo commercial. She would smile looking very satisfied, and let him have whatever he wanted for free. We found it hilarious.

Comp'ed! :rockerdud

People tell stories about how their hair used to be long because we have a basic need to communicate and relate to others.

Long hair is a distinctive feature. By commenting on how long yours is and how long theirs used to be they are attempting to form a basic bond based on commonality.

Also, most people are lousy conversationalists and fulfill their need to communicate with others by commenting on the obvious. :)

It's the same reason your dog starts to bark when the neighbor's dog barks.

There is no reason to impute jealousy or negative motives or emotions to such a comment. Doing so leads to responding to others in a snippy and mean-spirited way. It's better to respond with a generous spirit and use the opportunity to get to know others (and avoid talking about yourself).

"You used to have long hair, too? I like this haircut on you, why did you cut it?"

"You used to have long hair, too? Do you want it to be long again?"

I find that these responses lead to more interesting conversations and put the focus back on the original questioner.

As someone who is deeply introverted, but in the public eye because I'm an entertainer, I've learned that turning the conversation back in that manner saves me a great deal of sanity. I don't have to reveal much about myself and the other person does most of the talking.

Awesome. :agree:

flapjack
July 8th, 2008, 09:06 PM
The strangest thing that ever happened to DH was for a while a Middle Eastern family operated the convenience store near our house. Whenever the mother was there (she was in her 60's and did not speak very good English) she would say to him "You shake hair, give for free" and he would take his hair down from the pony tailer, and then shake his head like one of those women in a shampoo commercial. She would smile looking very satisfied, and let him have whatever he wanted for free. We found it hilarious.

This is amazing. :rollin:

Tangles
July 8th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I had a slightly creepy man on a bus come and talk at me for the entire journey about how I looked just like a Pre-Raphaelite painting, and then proceed to read poetry to me (which he had written himself, apparently!). It would have been nice if it weren't for the creepiness. I'm sure he was harmless but I was getting SERIOUS CREEPY VIBES. Yes.

o_O

I'm not sure if this is entirely funny or entirely scary... maybe a little of both! The pre-raphaelite thing is def. a compliment though.

RavennaNight
July 8th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I had a guy that works at a mall kiosk (selling curling irons) ask me if he could curl my hair???
I asked him if it looked like I needed curlier hair and turned around so he could see it (my hair).
He just smiled and attacked the next passerby.

oh gawd! The straight iron guy in my mall always pesters me when I walk by. "Excuse me! Miss just one question! Do you...." you'd think he sees me walk by often enough, I have regular errand to run there, that after a while he'd just stop asking...

As far as creepy? Just one, back in 02 when my hair was long and bleached blonde. It was a Dream Theater concert, crowded concert environment. The dude behind me started pulling my hair! A beer in one hand the hair in the other. I gave him an evil look and moved away. Ick! Lucky enough, no hair sniffers, except DH who keeps trying to figure out why my hair smells minty.

moshi-mo3
July 8th, 2008, 11:59 PM
i'm in high school with a little past shoulder length hair. my two friends who sit on both sides of me took turns sniffing my hair because it smelled like popcorn, it did but come on who hasn't smelled popcorn.(i don't know why i hate popcorn):confused:. and another time people in my class where having a convo about her and the girl behind me was like "is your hair real" and i said yeah and she said "oh cuz i was staring at it cuz it looks so soft and i wanted to touch it but i thought you would get mad" we just laughed. :pit really annoys me when people ask is it real then don't believe you then want to prove it by touching or pulling.:mad:

socks
July 9th, 2008, 12:38 AM
I've heard just about every imaginable comment under the sun, from the typical ones that many of us here probably get, to some really strange/disturbing ones. People have asked to buy it or if they could cut off a lock and I've had complete strangers say they were hair dressers and that they'd give me a free hair cut. People, even family members, have threatened to come after me with scissors, and I was afraid enough that I used to sleep with my head under the blankets and my hair wrapped around my hands. Men have made comments, but luckily none of them were too lewd. Many women have asked if I was wearing extensions and a few have asked me how I keep it out of the toilet. :bigeyes: I used to know some one who liked to yank on my hair when I was sitting down, thinking it was funny how I sat up a bit and pulled my hair to the side without looking behind me (my hair was at classic then, so I used to sit on it a lot).

I'm making it sound as many of the reactions I get are all weird, though. I actually get mostly positive and normal reactions, including all the typical compliments, questions, and stories of how others had long hair when they were younger. The best reaction ever was from a girl who attended the kindergarten I used to volunteer at. She used to hang onto my braid the entire time I was there and invented songs about how "fluffy" my hair was. :D

moshi-mo3
July 9th, 2008, 12:42 AM
"keep it out of the toilet" lol

ilovelonghair
July 9th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I was at a multicultural festifal and there were heaps of tourists around. 3 Japanese tourists came up to me asking if they could have a picture with me because of my long hair. I let them, but it was kind of weird!

Chrissy
July 9th, 2008, 04:59 AM
I think comments about Wow your hair is so long is normal. Also how long did it take to grow it. I've asked people that. For me I'm just trying to imagine myself with hair that long. When it's on my head it seems like it would take forever to grow that long. I wouldn't get upset about normal questions because if your hair is very long people are usually going to ask. Now the wierdo's that touch etc., that makes me shudder. Even if they aren't weird no one should touch your hair without asking first.

toodramatik
July 9th, 2008, 05:10 AM
I think comments about Wow your hair is so long is normal. Also how long did it take to grow it. I've asked people that. For me I'm just trying to imagine myself with hair that long. When it's on my head it seems like it would take forever to grow that long. I wouldn't get upset about normal questions because if your hair is very long people are usually going to ask. Now the wierdo's that touch etc., that makes me shudder. Even if they aren't weird no one should touch your hair without asking first.

I agree. I'm always pretty dumbfounded when I hear people on here say that they hate it when people ask questions like that. I know that when I ask it in my head i'm saying "See, toodramatik, you just need patience!". And more often than not it's a compliment to their patience and persistence.

Calista
July 9th, 2008, 05:59 AM
...and a few have asked me how I keep it out of the toilet. :bigeyes:
If you wanted to get rid of them quickly you could just say "I don´t." ;)

burns_erin
July 9th, 2008, 09:53 AM

Oh my god, that is priceless...I am going to have to remember that comeback. I remember when i was a little girl a boy once asked me that about my hair and I just cried. 'course I was like 8 at the time, but...

neenerbabe
July 9th, 2008, 02:38 PM

ROFLOL!!!! That woke me up, very funny.

And how many have had your hair fall in your baby's dirty diaper that you're sleepily changing at 3am? :rolleyes:

ilovelonghair
July 10th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by socks
...and a few have asked me how I keep it out of the toilet.

I have a friend who answers: 'a little fertiliser makes my hair grow' referring to the toilet LOL

Mebo
July 11th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Yeah, and leaning over too far when you're brushing your teeth can be fun! Braid swings right in front of my mouth at precisely the wrong time..... ick.

I love some of the answers ya'll can come up with to snarky comments. I wish I thought as fast as some of you do!

dor3girl
July 11th, 2008, 07:32 PM

ETA: I just remembered one particular event that was a little more creative than most. This clerk at my local grocery store approached me, asked a few questions about my hair, and then launched into his salespitch. He claimed to be writing a scifi novel featuring a longhaired female protagonist, and he wanted to interview me for "research" and would I possibly give him my number?

& your number was 1(800) try-again?

dor3girl
July 11th, 2008, 07:36 PM
OK--I am totally laughing at some of these stories--& completely confused by others. There are some pretty strange people out there who admire long hair. . .

dor3girl
July 11th, 2008, 07:38 PM

Ed

I would imagine that guys would get more socially unacceptable remarks about hair--people aren't used to seeing guys with hair past their waist--even in so-calif.

dor3girl
July 11th, 2008, 07:44 PM

Probably 'cause you are blonde--blonde hair always gets more attention!

dor3girl
July 11th, 2008, 07:46 PM

Probably just wanted pictoral evidence that someone with lovely hair was nice to him. . . sounds harmless!

dor3girl
July 11th, 2008, 07:53 PM
- A very unkempt man in his late 60's approached me in the
bank and after eying my pony tail, literally growled at me,
"Yer cuuute!"

- Little girl in pool changing room recently practically burned
a hole through me just staring. "It's not nice to stare at people,"
I said matter of factly, which made her mother stare at me.

- "Is that your natural hair color"/stares/getting me confused
with other ethnicities.

- Two guys at a concert sitting behind me kept giggling and
tugging on my hair. After turning around and leaning over the
back of my seat and gesturing a punch, I sat down only to be
called a slew of bitter profanities. Again I turned around,
"What's the matter? You don't like me no more?" Peace ensued.

- Within the past year, a college teacher reached out and groped
my hair and so did a grocery store clerk who just walked up
behind me without a word. Both were later reported for sexual
harassment. I was so disgusted.

- When my hair was shaved down to less than 1/2 an inch some
guy spat on me once at a bus stop while calling me a lesbian.
Others assumed I had cancer. Good grief.

Hair is just hair. It doesn't make me or break me. :)

As for your last line--hair is just hair--I used to be a hairdresser, so I know that hair is a big deal! Otherwise men would not do the comb-over look *yikes*--it can make or break someone's self image--I have seen people cry for happiness or dispair over a "mere haircut"--

Neoma
July 12th, 2008, 02:51 PM
One time, many years ago, I was sitting in the back seat of a NYC bus. I was wedged between two guy. I had made lots of little braids the night before, so my hair, which was waist-length at the time, was very full and looked like it had been crimped. When I stood up to get off the bus, one of the guys smiled and said, "Your hair is very soft." The comment, which sounded like a compliment, actually felt pretty creepy. It meant that for the length of the bus ride, my hair had been touching some part of his body (please, God, let it have been his arm!).

Perhaps it was innocent. But it didn't feel that way.

Another time, I was wearing my hair down. Some guy behind me kept saying, "You've got beautiful hair," really softly. After a couple of times, I turned around and said, "Go away." He kept following me, and kept the comments coming. I turned around, stopped and said, very loudly, "I said go away!" He looked totally embarrassed and slunked off.

Ewww.

Starr
July 12th, 2008, 02:58 PM
One time, many years ago, I was sitting in the back seat of a NYC bus. I was wedged between two guy. I had made lots of little braids the night before, so my hair, which was waist-length at the time, was very full and looked like it had been crimped. When I stood up to get off the bus, one of the guys smiled and said, "Your hair is very soft." The comment, which sounded like a compliment, actually felt pretty creepy. It meant that for the length of the bus ride, my hair had been touching some part of his body (please, God, let it have been his arm!).

Perhaps it was innocent. But it didn't feel that way.

Another time, I was wearing my hair down. Some guy behind me kept saying, "You've got beautiful hair," really softly. After a couple of times, I turned around and said, "Go away." He kept following me, and kept the comments coming. I turned around, stopped and said, very loudly, "I said go away!" He looked totally embarrassed and slunked off.

Ewww.

Uggh, how creepy. . . especially the first one.

I once had a guy come up to me in the mall while my back was turned and stroke his had down my hair from the top of my head down to the ends (waist then). I just stood there really freaked out for a second before turning around to say something, but luckily my cousin had already slapped his hand away and was screaming at the guy. I went home immediately and washed my hair.

Neoma
July 12th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Uggh, how creepy. . . especially the first one.

I once had a guy come up to me in the mall while my back was turned and stroke his had down my hair from the top of my head down to the ends (waist then). I just stood there really freaked out for a second before turning around to say something, but luckily my cousin had already slapped his hand away and was screaming at the guy. I went home immediately and washed my hair.Ewwwwwwww. Just thinking about that makes me want to run home and take a shower.

One time a male coworker asked if he could touch my hair. I told him that he could. He did, and said that it was very soft and asked how I kept it that way. It wasn't the least bit creepy -- it was almost reverential.

centurytoolate
July 12th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Ick, I had almost forgotten! Years ago my brother and I were at the 4th of July carnival. We went in the haunted house which was one of those ride thru in the little cart types. Just as we were riding out the exit door a hand ran all the way down my hair, from the top of my head. I looked quickly at my brother to see if he had done it for some strange reason. Realized he hadn't and yelled, "Don't touch me!". As the doors were about to shut behind us I saw a carnie worker peek around the door looking shocked that I had nearly become violent with him!

WritingPrincess
July 12th, 2008, 07:07 PM
When I was in high school my hair was about hip length with a blunt hemline and I often wore it in a single braid down my back. They guy who sat behind me in AP Biology would often play with my hair during boring lecture times - sometimes he'd unbraid my hair and then braid it up again (we'd known each other our entire lives - it's not like he was a stranger). One day he got the not so brilliant idea to "even up" my braid tassel. So he started quietly trimming. Four inches later, I had a perfectly blunt braid tassel - and of course it was a disaster when I took it down.

:scared: :scared: :scared:

Years ago when I used to commute on public transportation, some people on the bus one evening got into a group discussion of my hair. It was all braided and pinned up for work, but it was obviously very long -- I think that at the time it was at lower thigh.

I felt a little self-conscious, but perfectly willing to answer benign questions about how I washed it and so forth. Then one young woman announced that she played the violin, and she wanted to try stringing her bow with a lock of my hair to see how it would sound. So she more or less instructed me to cut some off for her on the spot.

I didn't take that particular bus again for quite a while, as you might imagine. :rolleyes:
Eeek! The nerve that some people had. If someone has the patience to grow their hair that long, they probably don't want to cut any of it off.

You could tell her that you'd like to strip her bow down to make it useful for a few new hair sticks. :twisted:
What a beautiful comeback!

I'm doubled over laughing. You are sure good at thinking on your feet!

MissHair
July 12th, 2008, 07:24 PM
In Chinatown I had women following me around wanting to buy it.

How bizarre. :D

getoffmyskittle
July 12th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I've had a couple nice reactions.

Once, my mom and sister and I were all walking out of the library and we all had our hair down. It all ranged from BSL to waist. A guy sitting on a bench called out "pretty hair, ladies!" as we went past.

In high school, when I volunteered at the hospital, sometimes I'd have to scrub up to do certain jobs. I was de-scrubbing one day and I took my braid down out of the oh-so-attractive showercap thing. There was an African American lady in the room with me and she did a double take and said "WOW, have you ever cut your hair?" I was pretty amused, and I told her that yes, I had, and in fact I'd only been growing it out a couple years. She was stunned and told me how pretty it was and that she wished her hair grew that fast.

I don't think I've ever encountered anything nasty or creepy from the general public. I do have creepy getting-hit-on stories, but not related to hair! ... I don't think... :uhh:

Aisha25
July 12th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I've had a couple nice reactions.

Once, my mom and sister and I were all walking out of the library and we all had our hair down. It all ranged from BSL to waist. A guy sitting on a bench called out "pretty hair, ladies!" as we went past.

In high school, when I volunteered at the hospital, sometimes I'd have to scrub up to do certain jobs. I was de-scrubbing one day and I took my braid down out of the oh-so-attractive showercap thing. There was an African American lady in the room with me and she did a double take and said "WOW, have you ever cut your hair?" I was pretty amused, and I told her that yes, I had, and in fact I'd only been growing it out a couple years. She was stunned and told me how pretty it was and that she wished her hair grew that fast.

I don't think I've ever encountered anything nasty or creepy from the general public. I do have creepy getting-hit-on stories, but not related to hair! ... I don't think... :uhh:
Lucky you:wink: I never get comments as my hair is always covered when I go outside.

Periwinkle
July 13th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I was sitting in German class the other day and the girl behind me (who is a good friend of mine) basically commanded me to show her 'how you do those funny things with sticks'. The way she said it was just hilarious.

Lady Verity
July 13th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Two slightly odd experiences:

My parents took me to Africa when I was 13. My hair wasn't especially long - past shoulders, though, as I recall. However, it was bright blonde from all the sun. Suddenly, plain old awkward me was everyone's potential wife. I'd never, ever received male attention before, so it scared the hell out of me. Nearly everywhere we went, some man would take me aside and either point to my father asking "is he your husband?" before coming on to me, or tell me I needed to meet their single brother/cousin/friend/hamster and would I kindly wait while they went to fetch them. It wasn't fun.

Another was in a pub in England. I was standing talking to a friend when I felt a large, sweaty paw stroke the whole length of my hair. I turned around to find two tipsy, greasy males discussing my hair and reaching out to grab it again. I couldn't think of a response wittier than "WTF!?", so I raised my fist defensively only to hear my friend shout "keep doing it! She likes it!" :mad:

sibilum
July 13th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Most of those comments are REALLY disturbing! Damn! I think that when my hair gets really long I will never be in public with it down! I'm already so afraid someone might accidentally burn it with cigarettes, can you imagine when is longer?

I think I will have nightmares tonight, I shouldn't have read this thread! :run:

Neoma
July 13th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Hmmmm... Since some folks have mentioned nice hair-related things that have happened in public, I'll share this one...

I went back to college, to a female-only campus, as an adult. I used to wear my hair in a half-up or a single English braid most of the time. On the last day of class, one woman came up to me and said, "I spent all semester wondering what I would do if I had hair like that."

She meant that in the nicest of ways.

rrborn
July 14th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I bartend on the weekend, so I hear some weird things, but my favorite was the lady who came over and sat on the bar stool, got herself arranged and looked up...her eyes got all wide and she said "You look like a fairy tale!"

Samara Morgan
July 14th, 2008, 05:04 PM
It's funny, whenever I get a hair compliment from someone (especially one of my friends) it's always brought down by them or someone else saying something not so nice about it :rolleyes: In the case of one of my friends who has extremely short hair which she dyes regularly, when I first got my bangs cut in she said : "Oh it really suits you" So I was happy :) Then two seconds later she said
"Did you get the rest of it cut?" When I told her no she went: "Ugh" :bigeyes: Grrrr I can't stand people who try to badger others into cutting their hair!!! :nono:

Another time was when my friend's gran said : "Your hair looks lovely today" (I had it down and had just got the fringe in) then immediately she said "Remember when you cut it all off to sell it!" Hmmmm, does anyone else get bothered when people seem to be more interested in when you're going to get your hair cut rather than liking the way it is long? :(

As for public reactions, I don't get many as I wear my hair up most of the time, but from what I've been reading there are some odd people out there! :blueeek:

rockkcor
July 18th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Remember John Lennon and Yoko Ono doing ‘The Year of Love’ – Hair Peace –Bed Peace-when they were growing their hair together
It was shocking to the public at the time – and they got all stupid comments on their hair…
I guess it was even more shocking as they were doing it together!

I experienced many stupid remarks – ‘when are you going to get a haircut?’ ‘are you on drugs?’ ‘don’t let it grow any further’
and the funniest question from a friend who was visiting from abroad I got on the phone
‘We could meet somewhere. But have you cut of that hair of yours? I can’t meet you in public like that’
ha ha!

Lady Verity
July 18th, 2008, 07:38 AM
All your stories about those highly observant "you have long hair" comments reminded me of this cartoon:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/cat_proximity.png

I wonder what it is that makes people state the obvious. I get it every time I leave the house, in all seriousness, and I run out of elaborate responses. Usually "you're tall", but sometimes "you're a goth" and "you have long hair". Now, my stock response is "...yes" before walking away. It's too tiring to enter into a conversation with these people.

Lady Godiva
July 18th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I'm already so afraid someone might accidentally burn it with cigarettes, can you imagine when is longer?
Updos are useful for this reason. My husband's band plays in some bars, and before smoking was prohibited in such places, I always had to be very careful if I left my hair down, which usually depended on how well ventilated the place was. One time a man and woman who were seated at a table behind me asked me about my hair, so we got into a discussion about it. She asked if she could touch it, which was fine with me, but then she reached up with her right hand, which also had a cigarette in it. I balked, starting at the thing, and the man picked up on the problem pronto, so he halted her, drawing attention to the fire hazard. In the end it went well, as she realized the problem, too, and we all chuckled, with me kinda-chuckling... :bigeyes:

Another time, at my in-laws' house for one of their big Christmas parties, my MIL had set out candles for decoration. One of these was on a coffee table. My hair was in a braid, but as I passed by, it came very close to that flame. That's the time to put your braid in a pocket. :agree:

HotRag
July 18th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Nice things I get to hear (and heard when I had longer hair) is that they think it is so thick and strong. I think most comments are these nice ones.

Some people were over and over again saying (when I had my longer hair in the 90's) that I must cut ends off and that I had severe damage at ends.
Maybe they were jealous or something. I did really seriously S&D often, so no damaged ends.
A bit taper though.

One of the most common frases was "do you wipe your butt with your hair".
They all thought it was very funny...

One guy told me that he thougt long hair was really disgusting.

HotRag
July 18th, 2008, 07:55 AM
I think that when my hair gets really long I will never be in public with it down! I'm already so afraid someone might accidentally burn it with cigarettes, can you imagine when is longer?One woman cut a bit of my hair (the long one in the 90's...) with scissors many years ago. She hated me for some reason. I after that allways had to watch out for her and other that would like to make mean things, or the cigarette thing.

I have never been burnt with cigarette in my hair, but some silk and wool clothes has been damaged by cigarettes.
(Vintage clothes that I love.) It is a bit tragic to need to totally secure hair and wear army clothes when going out :rolleyes: to some places.

Hampshirelass
July 18th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Eeek, some of those stories are pretty yuk!

I'm really freaked out about people you don't know sniffing your hair or playing with it without asking.

Thanks for shareing these stories :)

young&reckless
July 18th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I recently completed a training class for forlift trucks and I was the only girl. On the first day in class I took my hair down to rebun it as I don't want to risk it falling down while driving and every man in the room gasped in unison!

All I could do is giggle because I love getting a reaction like that and I don't consider my hair all that long.

It was just so funny to see six burly men gasp at once.:love:

They were the sweetest guys I am sad the class is over.

EdG
July 18th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Another time, at my in-laws' house for one of their big Christmas parties, my MIL had set out candles for decoration. One of these was on a coffee table. My hair was in a braid, but as I passed by, it came very close to that flame. That's the time to put your braid in a pocket. :agree:I have the same concern.

Whenever I go to a restaurant, I automatically extinguish any candles within about a 4 foot radius. I explain to my friends that I have a dread fear of fire. They can usually figure out why. :D
Ed

HairColoredHair
July 18th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I get a reaction here and there... the typical 'have you ever cut it', 'how long did it take', etc...

Had one guy who was dancing with a girl (I presume his girlfriend or soon to be, by the dancing they were doing :mad: ) grab my hair and refuse to release it at a bar once. 'course my roommate had a friend with who was a bouncer (6' 7" and built like a linebacker, not working at the time though) and the bloke let me go pretty fast when the bouncer interceded. Of course, the bouncer then played with my hair all night... Grr.

Had a sweet little Russian lady pet my hair at work once, she said the double braids reminded her of her daughter when she was little. She was well over 80, how could I get annoyed that she didn't ask first? It was precious.

Had one guy at work ask me what I'd do if he cut off my braid. He got an earful. Wore my hair up in buns pretty much after that. Which makes it fun if I take them down around someone who has no idea how long my hair is. :D

I like going to Ren faires, though... there the reaction usually isn't "Wow your hair is long", it's "How did you do that style!?" :D

ZaBasDa
July 18th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Last year there was a guy who sat behind me in a class who loved my hair. Every day he would play with my hair, poke it with his pencil, or try to boing the curls. It was about bsl and had blue streaks in it. And almost every day he would say my hair was really long, pretty, and then would ask me to dye his hair for him. :rolleyes: My teacher refused to believe that he was doing this and wouldn't let me move. I mainly tried to ignore him and it really didn't bother me too much. It was just first thing in the day and I never failed to get major frizz, Luckily he was one of the few who hasn't been intimidated with me.

Katahdin
July 20th, 2008, 03:43 PM
When I took the bus home from school, this one guy would always flirt with me. At first, when I went on, he'd just say "hi", which wasn't too bad. He kept flirting more and more, and on the last day of school I had my hair down and he was right behind me. He kept touching and sniffing my hair (cheered on by his friends. "How was it?" "Did it smell nice?"). Seriously bad timing too, because my mom was yelling at me on my phone, and my friend beside me was trying to talk to me, and then he was being freaky with my hair... so I gave him a shove with my hand and got off a stop early. Oh well, I don't think he'll be bothering me this year :rolleyes:

LadyGunn
July 21st, 2008, 11:43 PM
Mine's not particularly public, but my Mom & younger sister are both constantly after me to cut my hair - "You'd look younger", "You're stuck in a rut", etc., etc... My sis told me that I absolutely could not wear my bun at her baby shower (I took the bun down while in the parking lot - had lotsa purty curls) & that I'm not to have it up at hospital when my neice is born either. They both think the bun is too old-fashioned & librarian-ish. You'd think they'd know me well enough by now to know that I'd love to be a librarian & that's not at all a deterrant! :D

trolleypup
July 21st, 2008, 11:51 PM
Mine's not particularly public, but my Mom & younger sister are both constantly after me to cut my hair - "You'd look younger", "You're stuck in a rut", etc., etc... My sis told me that I absolutely could not wear my bun at her baby shower (I took the bun down while in the parking lot - had lotsa purty curls) & that I'm not to have it up at hospital when my neice is born either. They both think the bun is too old-fashioned & librarian-ish. You'd think they'd know me well enough by now to know that I'd love to be a librarian & that's not at all a deterrant! :D
Heh, I remember the last time I got an ultimatum like that..."If you can't make it to the rehearsal dinner..." I just said "OK", happily went to Opening Night at the Opera, and blew off the wedding. *shrug*