PDA

View Full Version : damage "I say' WHAT THE!!

littlemiss
February 12th, 2010, 01:25 PM
:(Ok yesterday it was brought to my attention that my hair in parts at the back in the middle was damaged???:( What the!!!:confused: "I say" I am really careful as far as I don't blowfry, or use products, some one said it was a natural part of having natural curly hair?? (somehow i doubt this)
I was thinking maybe because I put my hair up with hair sticks when wet to go to work?? would this cause breakage??
I can think of anything else that might cause this but I need it to stop please help:D

p.s As you can tell I am rather surprised, I havent had any damage in years since coming here in 2007

contradiction
February 12th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Does your hair feel damaged to you? Does it feel dry or knotted, or weak?
All hair will have some type of damage, especially long hair that has been around for awhile. It could be as mild as simple dryness, or it could be breakage, or anything really.
If your hair is truly damaged I would suggest a deep treatment and possibly a trim. You might need to be gentler with your hair when putting it up.

MandyBeth
February 12th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Is it from where your hair meets up with a chair back or something?

FrannyG
February 12th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Where is this damage and in what form is it damaged? Did the person say? It's hard to form an opinion without knowing.

More importantly, can you see or feel this supposed damage?

I'm sure it can't be as bad as all that. :blossom:

Anje
February 12th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Where in the length is the damage? I discovered several years ago that I had a nasty chunk of breakage in the middle back, where my ponytail was always secured. Made a "no ponytails for a year" pact with myself, which helped significantly.

Lamb
February 12th, 2010, 03:14 PM
First off, lots of people can't differentiate between natural changes in texture on a person's head and damage. Anything that looks uneven is damage to them. :rolleyes: That's why that person said it came with having curly hair: what they call damage may really be just a break in the wurl/curl-pattern.

Second: having a "rough patch" in the part you indicated is very common, I have it myself and my hair is very short. What makes it smooth and blend in with the rest is an extra portion of leave-in applied to that spot.

jesamyn
February 12th, 2010, 03:28 PM
First off, lots of people can't differentiate between natural changes in texture on a person's head and damage. Anything that looks uneven is damage to them. :rolleyes: That's why that person said it came with having curly hair: what they call damage may really be just a break in the wurl/curl-pattern.

This. I've wondered several times how I managed to get breakage in my hair in certain places, only to realize when it was wet that my hemline just looked odd because of my wave pattern that day. It wasn't damage at all.

littlemiss
February 12th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I can say no my hair does not need a treatment as I religiously take part in treaments.

As stated the in my first post the damage was in the middle back and it was breaking off and the end looked mice chewed, but something had to cause it?? (probably not real bad but still visable) it didnt feel damaged to me but when showed it was, if it had felt damaged I would found it myself

I dont use elastics expect on the ends when I braiding for bed
I dont have my hair rubbing on furniture as Im always aware of what it can do

its has been cut and I will be watching for it but still am unaware how I got it in the first place as I dont want this to happen again maybe Ill stop using sticks with wet hair?? as its the only thing I can think that could be doing this :confused:

my2cats1
February 12th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Perhpas breakage while you sleep? I once woke up to find my cat "grooming" me....needless to say, I slept with a satin sleep cap from that point on!

Or perhpas you had one bad knot months ago that you had forgotten about? The damage from one bad day migth take years to grow out.

I hope you solve the mystery!

Cherry_Sprinkle
February 12th, 2010, 10:41 PM
well I can tell you that I am curly and I have pretty fine hair and my hair damages very easy because of this.. however my damage is usually on the ends of my hair which naturally is the most dry spot and my hair is layered so dry spots and damage can happen any where on my hair from shoulders down...

do you have any layers? have you checked your hair toys to make sure they are seamless?

littlemiss
February 13th, 2010, 02:54 AM
:oMmm I know the problem one word "Romance" :hmm::shake:

BAQHENNALOVE
February 13th, 2010, 04:06 AM
My daughter had her hair chewed off in a spot near where "bangs" would be by a solpugid. We were like detectives and found out there was one in her room and when we researched it online we found out that they sometimes chew off hair from people in their sleep to build nests with!
Here is a link to some info about these horrid arachnids: http://www.blogher.com/its-haarskeerder

Nae
February 13th, 2010, 04:50 AM
My daughter had her hair chewed off in a spot near where "bangs" would be by a solpugid. We were like detectives and found out there was one in her room and when we researched it online we found out that they sometimes chew off hair from people in their sleep to build nests with!
Here is a link to some info about these horrid arachnids: http://www.blogher.com/its-haarskeerder

ACK!!!:shocked: That is possibly the scariest thing I have heard in ages! How did you solve that particular situation?

If you don't hear any breakage when you are using the hair sticks I wouldn't think it was that, but I guess it might be.......I wish I was more help.

julliams
February 13th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Sometimes texture throws people. They figure that it it's not completely smooth, or very curly, it must be damaged. Feel your hair with your hands and take a look at it in the mirror from the back. If it looks fine to you, it might be more of their problem rather than yours.

SpeakingEZ
March 25th, 2010, 04:45 AM
I have that same problem, and have since I was at least 10 (first noticed). It is exactly where I would put my ponytail holder. I went Anje's route and stopped using the elastics in that area (only at the bottom of length now) since maybe December of last year. That 3 months has made a huge difference. Suddenly, if I were to put my hair in a pony, that broken chunk would be in it, if only for an inch!

I wonder if your buns are pulling at the area in any way. If the area is already damaged, it shouldn't take much friction between the ends of it and your other hairs to make it keep breaking. I'm not sure if it's practical for you, but maybe take special care to protect the area, perhaps even fixing it separately from the rest of your hair for a little bit.

For some reason, I can see the entire weight of your bun being on that broken strand. Maybe you could try wearing your hair fixed higher or lower than usual in some way until it grows out some?

SpeakingEZ
March 25th, 2010, 04:48 AM

And this is horrifying.

jivete
March 25th, 2010, 08:06 AM
:oMmm I know the problem one word "Romance" :hmm::shake:

This or something similar. Usually when the middle chunk in the back of the head is damaged it's from sleeping or rubbing on chairs or "other" activities. That hair like to get knotted and matter up. If I wear mine down and I'm wearing a scarf or collared shirt, I get a similar problem, only underneath.

Johanna
March 25th, 2010, 08:07 AM

...And now I'm completly traumatised...*shudder* eeeeew that is so disturbing!!!

saskia_madding
March 25th, 2010, 08:16 AM
I have the same problem - the hair where it joins a ponytail is completely destroyed, which gives me this hideous halo effect.

Except I haven't made a ponytail in years! I am starting to think that it was my years of putting a cinnabun in the exact same spot on my head. That would put the strain on my hair in the exact same place everyday for years ... no wonder it is breaking!

So now I've taught myself to braid and a few different buns and I'm trying to switch it up and see if that helps. Here's hoping!