PDA

View Full Version : My Cat Barfed on my Hairbrush!

rogue_psyche
February 12th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I woke up this morning to find my hairbrush covered in cat barf. If any of you remember my old avatar, it was the cat in that one, Callie. I shouldn't have left it near her favorite spot after I saw her munching on grass. :o

My question is, will a Denman melt if I leave it in boiling water? I want to sterilize it but refuse to put bleach on something that will touch my hair.

Nightshade
February 12th, 2010, 12:28 PM
:spitting:

I'm so, so sorry to laugh but it is sort of funny. I don't have a Denman so hopefully with someone useful advice will come along.

sibiryachka
February 12th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Oh dear, sorry I have no advice to offer... and please don't take offense that that made me LOL! But only because I totally empathize. Can't tell you how many pairs of shoes I've been unable to save.

rogue_psyche
February 12th, 2010, 12:35 PM
:spitting:

I'm so, so sorry to laugh but it is sort of funny. I don't have a Denman so hopefully with someone useful advice will come along.

Oh dear, sorry I have no advice to offer... and please don't take offense that that made me LOL! But only because I totally empathize. Can't tell you how many pairs of shoes I've been unable to save.

Don't worry, you can laugh! Even I started laughing, even as I held the brush by Callie's face and said, "Bad kitty. BAD kitty." She seriously chose one of the last places I'd want her to barf.

ravenreed
February 12th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Hydrogen peroxide is almost as effective at sterilizing as bleach, or so I have heard... I would not try boiling water because it might melt the glue holding things together.

contradiction
February 12th, 2010, 12:48 PM
No matter how sterilized that brush was, I wouldn't use it again if an animal threw up on it. I can't imagine putting something soaked with vomit into my hair. Yuck! I suggest buying a new brush.

Kaijah
February 12th, 2010, 01:00 PM
:rolling: Omg. Hilarious - what are the chances of her getting that *one* *spot*? But I suppose it's a cat specialty...

I'd be hesitant to boil. If the rubber base is glued into the handle, that will most likely melt out. If it was a high quality rubber like medical silicone, it would do fine - but any sort of less expensive rubber or composite won't survive high heat at all.

I think I'd try rubbing alcohol first. Though I'm not sure if that'd dry out the rubber... :ponder:

little_acorn
February 12th, 2010, 01:03 PM
:rollin: - my cats would so do that too!!!

I'd say wash it well with a decent shampoo and let it dry in the sun to let the UV rays do their magic

myrrhmaiden
February 12th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Oh my goodness! We only have one carpeted room in our home, but every single time kitty is about to barf, he makes his way there. Gah!

Antibacterial soap soak might do the trick. ;)

Copasetic
February 12th, 2010, 01:15 PM
LOL, this is so something that would happen to me.

I wouldn't boil a brush, personally. If you want to sterilize it you can always try something used to treat wounds, or maybe rub some Purel on it?

Pixna
February 12th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Maybe she ate a hairball? :laugh: Sorry, I couldn't resist!

I'd try antibacterial soap and, if you must, DIP it in boiling water for no more than 5 seconds (preferably only 1 or 2), to prevent melting. I'd be okay using a brush a beloved kitty barfed on as long as it was thoroughly cleaned and sterilized afterward. Let us know what you try.

yellowchariot
February 12th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I woke up this morning to find my hairbrush covered in cat barf. If any of you remember my old avatar, it was the cat in that one, Callie. I shouldn't have left it near her favorite spot after I saw her munching on grass. :o

My question is, will a Denman melt if I leave it in boiling water? I want to sterilize it but refuse to put bleach on something that will touch my hair.

^ Sorry but as soon as I read this topic, I had to LOLz. :o
I know nothing of cleaning hair stuff, however IMO, you may just want to buy a new one?
You never know, your cat could be saving your hair, and knew something about that brush that you didn't! ;)

Gvnagitlvgei
February 12th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I laughed out loud. Well, wash it with dishwashing liquid and rinse well. Then pour alcohol over it and allow it to dry. That will sterilize it without damaging it.

bumblebums
February 12th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I had to laugh, too... My now-deceased cat would always find the thing that mattered most to me when she looked for a spot to vomit on.

I wouldn't boil something that is made of plastic and contains glue. But you could use a baking soda+water solution instead of bleach. Vomit is acidic, baking soda is basic, and BS should neutralize the smell and the acid.

Regular soap or laundry detergent would work, too, for the same reason (basic pH).

jera
February 12th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Maybe it was your cat's way of telling you to ditch the hairbrush already.:D

Please don't boil anything made of plastic. It will melt on you. I speak from experience. :o

Anje
February 12th, 2010, 03:12 PM
I had to giggle. How like a cat to pick something like your hairbrush to barf on! Homework and textbooks are other favorite barfing targets, in my experience. And carpet, right next to the linoleum.

I think you can boil the Denman without fear. I would suggest putting a washcloth at the bottom of the pot, though, to act as a buffer between the burner and the brush, since resting on the metal could get the brush hotter than the surrounding water. (I autoclave a lot of stuff. I'm not sure the rubbery part of a Denman would survive that, but I'll bet it'll be fine in water, 21C cooler.) Otherwise, perhaps a short soak in a 10% bleach solution?

You could also run it through the dishwasher. Just make sure the dry cycle is off. Anything that melts tupperware isn't likely to be good for a brush.

ETA: My Denman has no glue securing the rubber to the handle.

cmnt831
February 12th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Lol! Sorry, all too familiar with kitties and the great places they pick to throw-up on.

What about soaking it in baking soda and vinegar or laundry detergent? I don't have one of those brushes, so don't know specifics....

MandaMom2Three
February 12th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I just can't use stuff after something like that happens. Even if I try to clean/sterilize i, I just can't do it :p . I had to replace a wood bristle and a boar bristle brush after my daughter tossed them in the litter box :puke:

talervo
February 12th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Hee, hee. That just made my day. My cat likes to run onto the carpet to barf, too. Even if she is on a nice linoleum floor that would be easy to clean.

She's even been in bed with us and we've thrown her off mid barf. That was fun to clean up.

Bonkers57
February 12th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Ours, too - or in one of my shoes...

Oh my goodness! We only have one carpeted room in our home, but every single time kitty is about to barf, he makes his way there. Gah!

Antibacterial soap soak might do the trick. ;)

Pixna
February 12th, 2010, 03:54 PM
My Denman has no glue securing the rubber to the handle.

Mine doesn't either. The head (on mine) is removable, which is why I suggested a 1- or 2-second dip in boiling water (after a good cleansing). Just dipping the head (detached from the handle) is all you would need to do.

kitten1986
February 12th, 2010, 04:46 PM
my cat peed on my hair straightener... I think he was trying to tell me something haha needless to say I threw it out

Kris Dove
February 12th, 2010, 05:30 PM
No matter how sterilized that brush was, I wouldn't use it again if an animal threw up on it. I can't imagine putting something soaked with vomit into my hair. Yuck! I suggest buying a new brush.

I just can't use stuff after something like that happens. Even if I try to clean/sterilize i, I just can't do it :p . I had to replace a wood bristle and a boar bristle brush after my daughter tossed them in the litter box
THIS! I wouldn't even attempt to salvage it as I'd never feel comfortable using it again. I'm emetophobic anyway, so anything the cat is sick on gets tossed (except the carpet which is drenched with antibacterial carpet cleaner- and for that reason alone I want to replace it with flooring asap!).

funnybunny668
February 12th, 2010, 05:45 PM
What about Barbicide, like barbers & hairstylists use to sterilize combs & brushes?

Anne~
February 12th, 2010, 05:50 PM
LMAO! Rinse it out and throw it in your washing machine with a small load. It will be fine.

Fractalsofhair
February 12th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Personally, I wouldn't boil it. Cat barf is pretty germ killing with their being carnivores and all. Just wash it VERY throughly, and maybe wash it again after that! Soap and water kill nearly all germs as it is.

twilight_faerie
February 12th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Hahaha! Cats do seem to always barf on the last thing you'd want them to barf on. Like, for instance, my cat barfing in the game slot on my old Nintendo 64...

MandyBeth
February 12th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Sorry, no suggestions. I just think this may be the one site I'm on where it's "ewww, cat barfed on the hair brush, how do I save the hair brush" instead of "ewww, cat barfed on the hair brush, I had to buy a new one on the way to work"

If it's just the "gak" they spit up - I'd wash it with shampoo, then give it a good baking soda water rinse.

If it's the "chunkies" they spit up - errmmmmm..... I think I'd buy a new brush, no matter the cost.

Could be worse. Could be my parent's cat, who if she gets upset (which is very very easy for the cat as she has *issues*), she goes and barfs on my dad's head at night. This is, given the issues in kittie's life, a rather common occurance. As in oh, every third or fourth night (hey, it's an improvement, it's not three times a night as it was). The solution was not kick the cat out of the bedroom - it was put the waterproof cover on the pillow.

Ew.

Fiferstone
February 12th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Oh I'd try to rescue it, if the rubber bit's removable and can be cleaned separately why not make the attempt? Those dang brushes are between $90-$250 US depending on the size/configuration/where you buy it from. Would I try to rescue it? Hell YEAH.

JenniferNoel
February 12th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Could be worse. Could be my parent's cat, who if she gets upset (which is very very easy for the cat as she has *issues*), she goes and barfs on my dad's head at night.

Ew.

- TMI warning -

My cat ended up barfing on my hair during the night some three years ago. It took mighty force to get the smell out of my hair. If I remembered what I did to get it out I'd post it here. :run:

I hate how cats feel the need to seek revenge on everything and anything you do that they don't approve of...

tameriska
February 12th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I'm thinking about those sterilizing tablets that they sell in the baby section, I dont have a kid, so have no personal experience but I would imagine that they would work well (I am not sure if they need to be used with boiling water or not)

Rhiannon7
February 13th, 2010, 01:16 AM
At least it was your hair brush, my dog actually barfed on my head one night. woke up to sticky, yucky doggie barf all over my just washed hair. now i wear a braid and monitor whatever she eats.

rogue_psyche
February 13th, 2010, 01:45 AM
I soaked the brush in antibacterial dish soap and then put the removable rubber part in boiling water. I didn't keep the heat on the pot of water and just left it in there for fifteen minutes. Then I washed it with *my* shampoo and left it out to dry in the sun.

I don't really relate to the people who wouldn't be able to use the brush again. I don't want to throw away something perfectly usable because of one tablespoon of vomit, especially considering the cost of replacement. I just have to be thorough with cleaning.

bumblebums
February 13th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I don't really relate to the people who wouldn't be able to use the brush again. I don't want to throw away something perfectly usable because of one tablespoon of vomit, especially considering the cost of replacement. I just have to be thorough with cleaning.

People really differ in how squeamish they are about these things... I am not at all squeamish, and I get less and less so as I age. I am also pretty fastidious about cleaning, though. I have known people who are incredibly squeamish but are also total slobs at the same time. (Theory: they don't want to clean because they don't want to touch the dirt.)

Anyway, glad the brush is okay. If I threw out everything my cats and dogs barfed on over the years, I'd have no rugs or couches or many other things.

funnybunny668
February 13th, 2010, 09:50 AM
My cat used to throw up on the carpet at night, and my ex-hubby was notorious for getting up at night without turning the lights on.

He'd walk down the hall like this....

step, step, step, SQUISH
"ah, ****!!"

LOL, still makes me laugh, in an evil "get-even" kind of way. :D

WritergirlAD
February 13th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Lol, sorry but the title of this thread made me laugh. My cat has thrown up on my clothes before, on my desk, and in my shoes (luckily I noticed and didn't put them on!)

Vianka
February 13th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Didn't you know that cat barf is actually good for your hair? Better than olive oil! Okay, j/k. Unfortunately I think the brush would get damaged if you boiled it. The hydrogen peroxide idea sounds good, though. My cat barfed on the window sill this morning.

aisling
February 13th, 2010, 10:18 AM
THIS! I wouldn't even attempt to salvage it as I'd never feel comfortable using it again. I'm emetophobic anyway, so anything the cat is sick on gets tossed (except the carpet which is drenched with antibacterial carpet cleaner- and for that reason alone I want to replace it with flooring asap!).

I'm happy I'm not like that because I've woken up hearing the cat right next to me doing those pre barf sounds and just threw my hand under and she threw up on my palm.... That would be a bit hard to just throw away :lol:

I see the o/p has already solved the problem, I would probably have washed with shampoo and warm water and been happy :silly:

Speckla
February 13th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I'm not squeamish about barf. My cat threw up on my treadmill yesterday. I just cleaned it up and walked. Too expensive to throw out. :)

rogue_psyche
February 13th, 2010, 12:12 PM
People really differ in how squeamish they are about these things... I am not at all squeamish, and I get less and less so as I age. I am also pretty fastidious about cleaning, though. I have known people who are incredibly squeamish but are also total slobs at the same time. (Theory: they don't want to clean because they don't want to touch the dirt.)

Anyway, glad the brush is okay. If I threw out everything my cats and dogs barfed on over the years, I'd have no rugs or couches or many other things.

My father is the one who hates a mess but will never clean. He'll come home and tell me I have to clean the living room, prompting me to spend the next hour putting away his things and throwing away the trash he left on the table. He's a lazy slob who expects full maid service in exchange for free rent but there's not much I can do while I'm still living at home.

Fiferstone
February 13th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I'm with you rogue psyche. Glad to hear that your brush has survived the close encounter with kitty puke. My darling kitties seek out the soft goods/stainable items to yark on, I think. I have to have 2 bathmats for each bathroom, because invariably, I have one being cleaned from an "episode" at any given time. I've got wood floors everywhere for a reason, I ripped out the old wall-to-wall carpet when we moved in and never replaced it.

Kris Dove
February 13th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I'm happy I'm not like that because I've woken up hearing the cat right next to me doing those pre barf sounds and just threw my hand under and she threw up on my palm.... That would be a bit hard to just throw away :lol:
:pOh, I don't throw away the actual hand, just the skin covering it! Just remove it with a nail brush until it bleeds- ditto with toothbrushes and gums. Then bin toothbrushes and nail brushes, making sure you have a plentiful stash of new ones at all times. ;)

Seriously though, this phobia is horrible to live with.:(

StephanieB
February 13th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I don't know what a Denman brush consists of... but even if there's no glue, I don't think I'd actually boil it. Nor is it necessary etymologically speaking.

If it's necessary for psychologic reasons, I'd just dip it once or twice - quickly - in boiling water and blow it dry with a blow dryer set on "hot".

Having a houseful of cats and dogs (current cat head count is down to less than we'ver ever had - only 8; and 2 large dogs), I an assure you that none of us - nor any of our family or neighbors or friends - have ever "caught" anything, or become sick, from touching anything that had been barfed upon.

Thre is a reason for the phrase "cleaner than ahound's tooth"... and, although cat bites can cause problems, there's no known or documented case of cat barf causing any illness. (other than, maybe, mental, or perhaps the "ick"-factor)

Sorry, but hubby and I were ROLLING on the floor laughing at this thread! OMG! :D

ravenreed
February 13th, 2010, 03:22 PM
If I threw away everything my cats barfed on, I would have to move and start over. I have a kitty that likes to go to the very highest place in the room when he is not feeling well and projectile vomit as widely as possible. He likes to spread the joy. The other one only throws up on highly absorbent surfaces.

I soaked the brush in antibacterial dish soap and then put the removable rubber part in boiling water. I didn't keep the heat on the pot of water and just left it in there for fifteen minutes. Then I washed it with *my* shampoo and left it out to dry in the sun.

kmoc123
February 13th, 2010, 03:45 PM
shoot the cat...lol, not really...

Schmoomunitions
February 13th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Whats a little cat barf? It never hurt anybody! My cat barfed on my keyboard , I had to get a new keyboard.

jasper
February 13th, 2010, 04:30 PM
what's it made of? can you put it through the dishwasher?

Rhiannon7
February 13th, 2010, 10:53 PM
My cats, when i did have them barfed on everything. one even barfed into my purse! believe me it was heck cleaning my leather back pack and all the stuff inside. after i finally found out i had bad allergies to cats i had to give them up and ended up with a adorable, but quite barfy dog. she barfs on the bed, the pillows, the couch, her bed, my recliner, the floor....etc. i am quite squeamish but also have to deal with cleaning it so i got used to it. and yes i was really mad at her for barfing on my hair, but well it is a natural part of having animals, dealing with their smelly emissions. i'd go with several cleanings with antibacterial dishwashing liquid, maybe as some said here baking soda and a tiny amount of hydrogen peroxide, then another good wash and moving the brush to a safe place where kitty cannot get into.

chloeishere
February 13th, 2010, 11:12 PM
My cat once barfed on my face. It was the worst way to wake up, ever. He used to be good about hopping off the bed before he barfed... but one time, he was sleeping too deeply, and he was sleeping on my pillow next to my head. I didn't wake up until there was warm, wet... BLEUGH it was awful!

Unfortunately, I couldn't throw away my face as it's the only one I have or can get, so I just washed it really well with the hottest water our heater could generate, washed the pillowcase really well, and went on about my life.

I now wake up thrashing about madly anytime a cat vomits anywhere in the house. I think it's a survival mechanism. :p

ArienEllariel
February 14th, 2010, 01:05 AM
:spitting: Oh my gosh. I'm sorry but I just had to laugh at this!

I second the shampooing/washing with antibacterial soap motion.

Carolyn
February 14th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Would you throw away everything your kid puked on? :rolleyes: Washing in hot water and some type of detergent should take care of any kind of barf.

RavennaNight
February 14th, 2010, 08:19 AM
My cat once barfed on my face. It was the worst way to wake up, ever. He used to be good about hopping off the bed before he barfed... but one time, he was sleeping too deeply, and he was sleeping on my pillow next to my head. I didn't wake up until there was warm, wet... BLEUGH it was awful!

Unfortunately, I couldn't throw away my face as it's the only one I have or can get, so I just washed it really well with the hottest water our heater could generate, washed the pillowcase really well, and went on about my life.

I now wake up thrashing about madly anytime a cat vomits anywhere in the house. I think it's a survival mechanism. :p

Whenever I wake up to the sound of barfing kitty, I just know it's gonna be one of those days. Why do they always wake you up with it? Really?

Eryka
February 14th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Most epic thread title ever. Seriously.

(Sorry about the brush though, I'd pitch it, personally.)

loralie
February 14th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Oh the joys of being a cat owner. I have 3, and believe me, a brush is the least of my worries when it comes to things my cats puke on.

Some warm water should help? That stuff is pungent! It was probably just some twisted cat-form of love.

merryhair
February 16th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I don't have any real advice cause I don't own a brush...but I can't stop laughing. This is kinda funny. How about washing with lukewarm water and shampoo?:confused:

Bunnyhare
February 16th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I am so sorry but I,too, had to LOL :grouphug:

I also agree with Little_Acorn,i would not put any harsh chemicals or boiling water..the soap and sun has for ages done its wonders...:magic:

:rollin: - my cats would so do that too!!!

I'd say wash it well with a decent shampoo and let it dry in the sun to let the UV rays do their magic

Kris Dove
February 16th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Would you throw away everything your kid puked on? :rolleyes: Washing in hot water and some type of detergent should take care of any kind of barf.Reason seventy-billion and something I'm childfree-by-choice! My mum's an emetophobe too, but to a milder extent than I am, and I remember that she threw out some of the toys my brothers and I puked on when we little. Watching her struggle while dealing with vomit was likely where I "learned" the phobia. At least cats can't learn phobias or mine would be one neurotic kitty.

MandyBeth
February 16th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Cat barf on the furniture doesn't seem to totally squick me out. But, eww, my hairbrush?

I don't know why. I don't mind dirt, filth and disgusting things otherwise. Dog barf isn't a problem. But, eww to cat barf. Irrationality is my friend.

How my dad washes his hair following the cat's temper tantrum - dish soap and baking soda. As he also wears his hair about 1/2" long, the damage is not as horrific as if I tried that.

MandyBeth
February 16th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Would you throw away everything your kid puked on? :rolleyes: Washing in hot water and some type of detergent should take care of any kind of barf.

Hrrmmm, no - I'd just throw the kid away probably. But since thankfully, I am not taking part in breeding, no worries about the psychological damage I'd do to a child.

Victor E Kitty, if he has to barf, has to barf in one certain place. Always. He runs from the total opposite area of the house to puke in his one place. On the roll of paper towels on the kitchen counter. Sigh. It WOULD be easy to clean up if he didn't then proceed to try to hide the evidence and flip the papertowel roll.....

So I have a papertowel holder without the papertowels in it, and they are in the cabinet over the holder. Solves that problem.

spidermom
February 16th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I'm glad you cleaned your brush and kept it. I would have taken it outside and cleaned it with the hose jet, then added DW liquid and jetted it some more, then let it dry in the sun. I might have poured peroxide or rubbing alcohol over it too, had I any.

Feline
February 16th, 2010, 05:31 PM
OMG. :shocked:I'm sorry, but that is just too funny!

Our seven cats usually upchuck all over the wall to wall carpet, to the point that we bought one of those big upright carpet cleaners. However, two of them have barfed on the alarm clock, and we have had to replace them (the clocks, that is, not the cats. Although the thought has been tempting.) Kitty puke just does not mix well with electronics.

Two of the little darlings are also convinced that the little drawer on the DVD player is there for their amusement, and they will sit and stare at it, waiting for it to open and close. One of them caught it once! The $250 cat toy, we call it.

Personally, I think I would replace the brush.

ravenreed
February 16th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Well, I would have to throw me out first! My oldest managed to throw up in my hair and all down my chest once. :cheese:

RavennaNight
February 16th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Every time I click on the Mane Board and see this thread, I chuckle.

emi77
February 17th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Its the piano stool for my cat. He goes there every time he is sick! He has never EVER been sick anywhere else!!! We've got a new stool now (non-velvet) - which fabric section is removable. That should do the trick!
Clearly my playing just isn't good enough for him! haha.
I'm glad you got your hairbrush all cleaned up and in good working order again though! If it had broken that would not have been such a good end to a funny stroy! :D

talervo
February 19th, 2010, 04:45 PM
This is the funniest thread ever! How about a site dedicated to all the places our animals upchuck on? Kind of like that cutest kitteh site?

BrightEyes7
February 19th, 2010, 05:00 PM
:laugh: :laugh: Too Funny :laugh: :laugh:

I would try rubbing alcohol. The boiling would melt something or another!

Now was it barf... or a hairball?

Hairball isn't as bad as straight up barf!

Now see my cat had this thing where she liked to pee on the bed. Not my bed though, my brother's. I swear I didn't train her! :D Such a good kitty :kitten: The funniest was when she peed on him while he was sleeping :laugh: :laugh:

myotislucifugus
February 19th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Spray it with ethanol (80% solution) or isopropyl alcohol. Good enough for microbes, good enough for hair brushes

Pumpkin
February 21st, 2010, 06:09 PM
I would just buy a new brush.:)