PDA

View Full Version : How to ditch the knots???

dontcallmejessi
February 11th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Ok so now that I'm approaching waist, I've been noticing I get tons of knots in my hair now!!! :shocked::shake: I don't understand why. :shrug: I never get knots. Is this normal for this length? What can I do to prevent getting knots? I don't want to be banished to updos:(. I don't use sulfates or cones. I oil but not a lot. I've started making an oil spritz mixture. Do I need more oil? What on earth am I doing wrong? :confused:

spidermom
February 11th, 2010, 04:10 PM
If you find out, let me know. My hair knots up, too. Coney serum used sparingly helps a lot with the comb-out. Keeping my hair braided or put up when I don't have time to pay attention to it helps the most.

PseudoScot
February 11th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Are you wearing it down often? ....as my experience goes, the longer you go, a lot of times the more you need to wear it up. [Now I'm sure someone will post the opposite :D].

Ditto to spidermom on the braiding part, that can also cut down on knots.

Tressie
February 11th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Me too! I may need to go with a coney serum, as spidermom suggested, I keep combing out LOTS of hair, no matter how carefully I try to detangle. Wearing it up all the time!!! Boring!!

dontcallmejessi
February 11th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Are you wearing it down often? ....as my experience goes, the longer you go, a lot of times the more you need to wear it up. [Now I'm sure someone will post the opposite :D].

Ditto to spidermom on the braiding part, that can also cut down on knots.

Thanks ladies. Well I'm not thrilled at having to wear it up. Feels like I'm having to hide it, but if it means the cause is the length then I'm actually excited! I have something to celebrate :happydance: WOOHOO! I've hit a new landmark! My hair has never been this length before! It still looks inches away from waist, but if a take a lock and pull it straight the longest layers are definately waist!!:cheese:
I should probably have mentioned that I did a big no no about 6 months ago. I highlighted it. I know, I know big mistake but it DID keep me from chopping it all off and at least I didn't color all of it, just some streaks. I was bored and frustrated that it wouldn't grow. It didn't seem damaged at first but maybe it is taking its tole on the length now that it is getting older? I'll keep playing with it and try to figure out if my new oil mixture spritz concoction is just not heavy enough in the winter or maybe the new jessicurl products just don't agree with my hair. But if not, I'll try wearing up more.
Any other cone and sulfate free products you ladies recommend I try that is good for curly hair?

spidermom
February 11th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Me too! I may need to go with a coney serum, as spidermom suggested, I keep combing out LOTS of hair, no matter how carefully I try to detangle. Wearing it up all the time!!! Boring!!

If you do, I can recommend CHI Silk Infusion. I use it by the single drop; a little goes a long way.

cellardoor
February 11th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I have the same problem and my hair isn't even BSL (only 2 more inches!! :):)), but I get the most intense knots at the nape of my neck no matter what I seem to do. My boyfriend even started calling me Rat-A-Tat Girl! :( I wish I had some advice for you...

Emerson
February 11th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I use the Sally Beauty generic version of Redken Anti-Snap, it probably contains some not so great stuff in it? but has helped keep away almost all knots in my hair :)

Rhiannon7
February 11th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I've had the same problem, that is why i wear my hair always up in a braid or bun. and my hair is not even waist yet. question: do you always wear it dfown? even for sleep? do you use a comb or brush? When i do decide to wear my hair down i always run my fingers through it often and comb or brush it at least once every 2 hours. this has kept the knots and tangles to a minimum.

i bought a wood comb at The body shop and started combing my hair instead of using a BBB and knots have gotten less. (i am a very bad tosser and turner in bed and wear a braid to sleep.) BBB is great but i have noticed that the wood comb helps the knots disappar faster. maybe i'm just excited because it is my first week using my wood comb, but i love it. the nape tangles even go away quickly and the canopy tangles disappear quickly after i wake up and comb my hair.

I also use a coney leave in treatment plus a couple of drops of oil mixed into the leave in treatment at night to moisturize and help the tangles go away. it has helped alot.

long hair lover
February 11th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Jessica,
Have you ever done a weak acv rinse after you wash your hair? I don't have to use conditioner any more. I use Dr. Bronner's to wash my hair, I try also not to wash the length of my hair very much so that it doesn't get tangles and knots. It does get clean, as the soapy water runs down it. I just wash my scalp with Dr. Bronners.
Hope this helps. Long Hair Lover

kmoc123
February 11th, 2010, 08:08 PM
I get those, too...Fairy Knots is what those are called...it is the fairies fault!!! lol...

Elenna
February 11th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Wearing braids or buns, using coney products, and combing a lot seems like good advice. But are we talking about fairy knots where one strand of hair has a knot in it or several hairs knotted up?

Teufelchen
February 11th, 2010, 11:52 PM
I use Arganoil a lot and it helps with preventing knots. I use it as a leave-in.

jera
February 12th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Besides oiling my ends with squalane, I use Ojon revitalizing mist leave in conditioner. I swear my hair would tear out by the handful if not for that stuff. It's a keeper. :D

dontcallmejessi
February 12th, 2010, 08:02 PM
question: do you always wear it dfown? even for sleep? do you use a comb or brush? When i do decide to wear my hair down i always run my fingers through it often and comb or brush it at least once every 2 hours. this has kept the knots and tangles to a minimum.

I pretty much always where it down during the day. I don't normally wear it down for sleep. I usually wear a net and I have silk pillow case. I don't wake up with knots. I get them like at the end of the day mostly in the back lower parts of my hair, which is why I was wondering if it was normal for this length. I'm thinking it might be happening from when I'm sitting any my back probably is rubbing against the ends and also over time it may have now roughened up the cuticles of the ends??? Just a theory. My ends certainly don't feel healthy anymore at all. And I've only been using very good products, mostly jessicurl. So that is also a possibility that my hair just doesn't like jessicurl???
I don't brush/comb thoughout the day. I have curly hair so touching it very much is kind of a no no if I want it to stay curly and not a frizzy poof ball.

Jessica,
Have you ever done a weak acv rinse after you wash your hair? I don't have to use conditioner any more. I use Dr. Bronner's to wash my hair, I try also not to wash the length of my hair very much so that it doesn't get tangles and knots. It does get clean, as the soapy water runs down it. I just wash my scalp with Dr. Bronners.
Hope this helps. Long Hair Lover
I trie ACV about a year ago and didn't like the way it left my hair feeling or the smell. But I may have made it too strong, dont remember. I tried Dr. Bronners. I really really love it for other things, but not as a shampoo. It leaves my roots oily. I'm sure it is great for my ends, but I guess my roots didn't like it. And I don't have oily hair either. :hmm: So I don't understand how that happened. I have tried not washing as often and maybe it's just my imagination but I think that does help some.

Wearing braids or buns, using coney products, and combing a lot seems like good advice. But are we talking about fairy knots where one strand of hair has a knot in it or several hairs knotted up?
They are clumps of hair knotted together, not single strands. I ment "MY" knots. Didn't want that to sound like I was correcting the definition of fairy knots or anything. Nope I ment just my knots are clumps not single strands. Sorry

I use Arganoil a lot and it helps with preventing knots. I use it as a leave-in.

Besides oiling my ends with squalane, I use Ojon revitalizing mist leave in conditioner. I swear my hair would tear out by the handful if not for that stuff. It's a keeper. :D
Awesome, I will have to check these out!

Thanks so much everyone! You are all so awesome!!!

sarahramen
February 16th, 2010, 06:43 PM
wel for tangles how about getting ones of those little kid detangler sprays. side note, when i was little i had really tangled easily knotted hair when my mom would force a comb through it i would end up crying. my older cousin who had had the same issue gave me this electric comb thing, it vibrated and worked like magic, i just gave it back to her a few weeks ago as now her 5 year old daughter is having the same problem. ahh the Murphy hair :rolleyes:

spidermom
February 16th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I was talking about clumps of hair knotting together as well. This will often happen with a shed hair getting all tangled up in hairs that are still attached.

I think you're right about getting damage from your ends rubbing on things like the backs of chairs and so forth. This is one of the reasons for wearing hair up, not to hide it, but to protect it, plus it can be a safety hazard around open flames and machinery. I've had to wear mine up (or braided) most of the time since about BSL. It's not much of a sacrifice, though. If I don't have the time to pay attention to it and enjoy it, it might as well be up and out of the way. I get to enjoy it on my own time.

whiteisle
February 16th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I get those, too...Fairy Knots is what those are called...it is the fairies fault!!! lol...

Fairies??? I have fairies living in my hair?!! :agape: Oh, that explains sooooo much!

dontcallmejessi
February 17th, 2010, 07:17 AM
I did a massive S&D and put more oil in my oil spritz concoction and I haven't had any knots since (3 days so far) woohoo!!!
:cheese::cheese::cheese::disco::disco::disco:

Medievalmaniac
February 17th, 2010, 07:22 AM
My 5 year old daughter's hair is virgin and knotting up regularly when she wears it down. So I don't think it is necessarily your highlights. I do feel she needs to chop about an inch of damage from the ends (she sucks and chews on braid tails) and that is probably her culprit...but she won't let me cut yet, she wants to sit on it, lol

lora410
February 17th, 2010, 07:29 AM
I think it is normal. My hair is more knotted at this length as well.