PDA

View Full Version : Right Angle Splits, Unhappy Top Canopy

Kirry-Folk
February 11th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Has anyone managed to pinpoint what is most likely to be the cause of the "bent" ends that are not split?

:( I'd really like to prevent these from happening, but I have no idea as to what may be causing them.

They're only in the top canopy, and I don't wear my hair down more than once a week.

Insight is greatly appreciated!

melikai
February 11th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I get these as well, but in my case I attributed it to old dye damage, which I don't think applies in your case.
My canopy is also frequently dry, but I think most people have that, as it's the area most exposed and prone to damage. I have to apply ridiculous amounts of moisturising conditioners (with no protein, which aggravates dryness for me) to my length and this area in particular, as well as oil.
I think you already are doing these things, so I'm not sure what to recommend. Maybe do a few deep treatments frequently for a while, and see if that helps? Maybe try CO for a time? :ponder:

spidermom
February 11th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Are you seeing the bent ends after it's been bunned? Ends tend to get scrunched into weird angles when buns twist/slip/sag.

If you're seeing it after washing and combing, it's damage making the hairs bend. When I find a hair like this, I usually find that it has a hole in it right at the bend.

I have to put extra conditioner and/or oil on my canopy because it's a lot more weathered than the rest of my hair and tends to be dry. It does suck down the extra moisture that I put to it and looks better, too.

Kirry-Folk
February 11th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Maybe try CO for a time? :ponder:

There's something I haven't tried in a long time that may be worth doing again. Thank you for the idea!

I'm wondering if maybe my comb is responsible for this, and the little bends are a result of mechanical damage. It's not really a hair friendly comb, but I never had trouble with it in the past. :sad

Kirry-Folk
February 11th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Are you seeing the bent ends after it's been bunned? Ends tend to get scrunched into weird angles when buns twist/slip/sag.

If you're seeing it after washing and combing, it's damage making the hairs bend. When I find a hair like this, I usually find that it has a hole in it right at the bend.

Oh my gosh. If bunning is causing the damage I am DOOMED. My hair isn't fond of braids (and it isn't long enough to braid right now anyway), so I've pretty much lived in buns.

I don't find many of them, but when I do, it's usually 2-3 days after my last wash. I've been using this same plastic comb for 12 years, and I've never noticed the bends before, but I think I need to stop using it for awhile just to see.

Do you use a magnifying glass to get a good look at the bends?

spidermom
February 11th, 2010, 04:49 PM
No, if it's buns causing the bends, it's not damage. They'll straighten out again after you wet them, maybe smooth a little oil over them. I didn't use a magnifying glass, just a strong light. I doubt a comb could cause bends. A bad comb will more likely cause roughened areas, like a peeling sunburn, because the seam in the comb scrapes the cuticle.

melikai
February 11th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Ah, spidermom speaks wisely. She reminded me that I also get bent hairs from using strong hairclips, like Ficcares. These freak me out, but are fine once I apply some oil or moisture. I think (and hope) that overall they are caused because my hair is too dry, and that with proper care they'll dissipate.

ravenreed
February 12th, 2010, 12:37 AM
I have been getting a lot of them lately. I find them more frequently when I need to clarify.

GoddesJourney
February 12th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Anything that kinks your hair. This could be from not combing hair out before putting it in updos or having clips that are too tight, etc. Beware...

Kirry-Folk
February 12th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Anything that kinks your hair. This could be from not combing hair out before putting it in updos or having clips that are too tight, etc. Beware...

I don't use anything but Ketylos to hold my hair up. :shrug:

xkmx
February 14th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I get these all the time, but only where my old growing out dye is... So in my case I'm guessing it's just weaker hair being bent more easily, which makes it more susceptible to splits and little white dots. I just make sure it's mostly smooth when I put it up in buns or a ponytail, and I've been trying to avoid using elastics lately.

spidermom
February 14th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I get these all the time, but only where my old growing out dye is... So in my case I'm guessing it's just weaker hair being bent more easily, which makes it more susceptible to splits and little white dots. I just make sure it's mostly smooth when I put it up in buns or a ponytail, and I've been trying to avoid using elastics lately.

I'm also very careful to comb and wrap my hair so that the ends are absolutely smooth, but a bun rarely stays where I put it. The ends get kinked because the bun twists and sags. Again - this kink isn't damage. It's temporary (like wrinkled clothing) and can be smoothed out by wetting the ends and combing through them.

Kirry-Folk
February 14th, 2010, 05:19 PM

Well, at the very least, I am glad I'm not alone!