PDA

View Full Version : New silicones evaporate????

my2cats1
February 11th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I am reading Philip Kingsley's "The Hair Bible" (published 2003) and was surprised to read a passage in which he stated that the new versions of silicone are volitile and evaporate. Have any of you heard this? I wonder how long it takes them to evaporate -- a day, a week? This makes me question if I might be clarifying more often than I really need to, and whether oil applied at night might be able to penetrate through the silicone I apply in the morning. Thoughts? :confused:

The book states: (page 157)
"The original silicones, dimethicone being one, were heavy and difficult to remove....proved unsuccesful in the long term. The modern silicones are the volitile ones (those that slowly evaporate) which can be excellent emollients, softeners and protectors.
The chances of you choosing a conditioning or styling product without silicones is almost negligable. The link between most of them is Methicone, but each has different characterisitcs.
The emollients include Dimethicone, Dimethiconol, Phenyl Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Phenylpropyl Dimethicone and Cyclopentasiloxane-Dimethicone.
Volitile silicones include Cyclomethicone (most commonly used), Phenylpropyl Dimethicone and Cyclopentasilaxane."

boomygrrl
February 11th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I heard about cyclopentasiloxane and cyclomethicone being able to evaporate...but not sure how long that takes.
Someone said cyclomethicone and cyclopentasiloxane are the same. I don't think so...unless there was another ingredient in the product I used to explain why I had different results.

If I'm correct from my experiments, my hair likes cyclomethicone (as well as amodimethicone and phenyl trimethicone...although these two may not evaporate, they seem easy to wash out for me). Cyclopentasiloxane made my frizzy-prone hair frizzier. I think the molecules got under my hair cuticles causing them to stick up. Even if it evaporated off, the hair cuticles must've stayed up from it still afterwards, because my hair just looked freaky for a long time after using that cone. Maybe if you're not prone to frizz (which is a result of hair cuticles raising like shingles of a roof), this might be a great cone to use. You get the benefits of shine and smootheness without having to worry about build-up.

may1em
February 11th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I use a leave-in with volatile cones (cyclomethicone and ----cyclopentasiloxane) and haven't noticed much trouble with build-up. I don't use sulfates very often at all, and I don't notice much else except that my hair doesn't tangle as much as it used to. No-cones helped me get long hair, but now that I have it, I find some cones helpful.

The "cyclo" part means that the molecule is round. I think the round -cones are the volatile ones.

Suze334
February 11th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I use a leave-in with volatile cones (cyclomethicone and ----cyclopentasiloxane) and haven't noticed much trouble with build-up. I don't use sulfates very often at all, and I don't notice much else except that my hair doesn't tangle as much as it used to. No-cones helped me get long hair, but now that I have it, I find some cones helpful.

The "cyclo" part means that the molecule is round. I think the round -cones are the volatile ones.

What is your leave-in? Might want to try that.

spidermom
February 11th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I almost never notice build-up, and I use a coney serum once a week to week and a half.

Actually, I have to get rid of oil and dust/lint buildup every once in awhile but probably never cone buildup. Now I know why. Thanks for the post.

Copasetic
February 11th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I always thought that silicones didn't really last forever. I figured that they must wear off somehow because I never get buildup from them.

may1em
February 11th, 2010, 06:48 PM
What is your leave-in? Might want to try that.

Organix coconut oil serum. Smells like coconut, if you're worried about that.

xoxophelia
February 11th, 2010, 06:58 PM
may1em: do you know if it has any artificial scents?

DMARTINEZ
February 11th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I have never experienced buildup with silicones in conditioners and leave ins. Now
hair spray and styling products are another story! ;)

Deb

Anlbe
February 12th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Interesting, I had always wondered why I didn't get buildup from my current conditioner but used to get it from my old ones. Very interesting.

Anje
February 12th, 2010, 07:34 AM
I've heard before that cyclopentasyloxane evaporates. I get the feeling that this is actually drying for me and one of the reasons I don't care for the serum I've messed with. Anyone else get this effect?

LadyLongLocks
February 12th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I always thought that silicones didn't really last forever. I figured that they must wear off somehow because I never get buildup from them.

Same! I never have a problem with them.

boomygrrl
February 12th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I've heard before that cyclopentasyloxane evaporates. I get the feeling that this is actually drying for me and one of the reasons I don't care for the serum I've messed with. Anyone else get this effect?

Yes, it's possible your hair cuticles are elevating due to the small molecular structure, which will make your hair feel less smooth and give the impression that it's dryer than it is.
I wish it worked for me. I've seen some hair products at the store with cyclopentasiloxane and I avoid it like the plague.