PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for hair on days I don't wash...

Beaglebuddy
February 11th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I am not sure if anyone can give me ideas on this or not but please help if you can.
I have finally set my mind to cut down on washing my hair. I would prefer to go atleast one day without wetting hair at all. But what I would like to know is if anyone has any ideas how to get body or fullness at front. What could I do, like say, the night before?
My hair has quite a bit of body all the time because I wash it every day. My picture shows a lot of body. But the second day, it goes straighter and it tends to look flatter, at the top especially.
I generally wear my hair in a french braid tuck to work every day. I work in home healthcare and need to wear hair up every day but have a hard time with the front looking nice. I don't have bangs because believe me I do not suit bangs.
Also, what could I do with the length to add a bit of volume there too?

ETA: I have quite a bit of wave at the front

Flaxen
February 11th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Do you have the Curly Girl book? The author recommends a lavender water spritz on days when the hair is not wet completely. Or, how about dampening the front part and finger waving it and then securing the waves with bobby pins, before you sleep? If you're a back sleeper, the pins wouldn't be damaging. Or, if you have time in the morning, dampen your hair, finger wave it, and clip it with jaw clips. Let it air dry (in the car?) or diffuse it gently before you leave.

KateMcC
February 12th, 2010, 02:23 AM
I love long hair because of the variety, so I've learned to take advantage of its different phases. As you train your head/hair to require less frequent washings, you may develop a pattern of styles. For example, on wash day I gel and scrunch to get maximum curl and do not use a comb or brush at all. On day two, I just comb and have nice waves--I often do a "half-up" by pulling the front back into a barrette. By day three my curls are gone, but the length still looks nice, so I brush it smooth and put it in a pony-tail, braid, hair-band, or bun. Day four, is either a CO day or definitely a bun day. Your hair won't behave the same way every day, but you can find a pattern and work with it.

I think I really started enjoying my hair the most when I learned to accept and work with its quirks instead of trying to make it behave. Oh, and you might plan those "no-wash" days for days you will be home or not have to be at your best until you get more comfortable with it. When I started spreading out my washes, I started over a long weekend. Then during vacation I was able to add in another day. Every once in a while I can now go almost a week.

Hope this helps---have fun.

Beaglebuddy
February 12th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Thank you Flaxen and KateMcC. Your suggestions are so helpful.

Yes, Flaxen I do have the Curly Girl book. Forgot about the lavender spray. Sounds like it would be nice to use to refresh the hair.

I don't have a lot of time in the morning so I could try wetting the hair at night and putting it in waves as you said.

I know the next little while is going to be tough, fighting the urge to wash. I don't have the luxury of not washing on days I don't go out as I work for 12 days, then am off 2 days. But I am sure with time and perseverence, I will overcome the ickiness and come to appreciate just washing twice a week.