PDA

View Full Version : Look At That Braid !!

longhairdream
February 11th, 2010, 11:13 AM
:agape:
:bowtome::bowtome::bowtome:

<link removed pending mod discussion>

:bowtome::bowtome::bowtome:

Hey everyone - m sure you must be totally shocked with your jaws dropped till your feet - believe me - i'm still trying to fit my jaw back !
What beautiful hair - caught his lovely pic on the internet - God bless her !

Here are some more - and o my god are they beautiful ! Enjoooyyyy ! :)
<links removed pending mod discussion>

Dreams_in_Pink
February 11th, 2010, 11:16 AM
is that...possible? O___O

coscass
February 11th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Wow! Thick and shiny. I'm so jealous!

Norai
February 11th, 2010, 11:18 AM
wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Sarahmoon
February 11th, 2010, 11:18 AM
:bigeyes: Are you sure your hair is only ii?

Dreams_in_Pink
February 11th, 2010, 11:21 AM
:bigeyes: Are you sure your hair is only ii?

man, that hair's gotta be like "vi" :D

I wonder if its photoshopped?

cmnt831
February 11th, 2010, 11:22 AM
That's beautiful. Is it - uh - real? 'Cause I'm kinda envious if it is....:p

longhairdream
February 11th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I'm doubtful whether its photoshopped - i can make out the Asian hair - and I do know that there are really girls with such thick hair.

Tutti_Frutti
February 11th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Wow! That's A LOT of hair! Very beautiful! I can only dream of thickness like that..

Carolyn
February 11th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I wonder if its photoshopped?That was my first thought.

GeoJ
February 11th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Wow! I saw a braid like that in India a couple of weeks ago.

GoddesJourney
February 11th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Looks like a guy to me. Anyway, it's probably real. I think there's a rule about getting pictures off the internet, though. Might want to look into that. Beautiful hair, whosever it is.

longhairdream
February 11th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Uh oh ! really ? This pic was in a public gallery . Could some one please tell me where I can find this thread concerning rules about taking pics off the internet ??

Mae
February 11th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Goodness gracious! That is amazing! It sort of reminds me of Jasmine's hair from Aladdin: black and uber-thick.

Shermie Girl
February 11th, 2010, 12:06 PM
It looks as if it could be real. If a person has thick, coarse hair and it is braided loose, as it appears to be in that picture, the braid can look pretty mammoth. :D

spidermom
February 11th, 2010, 12:06 PM
That is so totally mind-blowing! (hiding pathetic excuse of a braid down the back of my shirt)

kwaniesiam
February 11th, 2010, 12:08 PM
:thud: I hope that is just loosely braided, if not that is an INSANE amount of hair. Do any of our iii members feel up to posting a loose english braid to see if they get the same results?

JenniferNoel
February 11th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Wow...
Sometimes one word is all that's needed. ;)

Hiriel
February 11th, 2010, 12:41 PM
:thud: I hope that is just loosely braided, if not that is an INSANE amount of hair. Do any of our iii members feel up to posting a loose english braid to see if they get the same results?

I could, but after seeing that picture, I'm not sure I want to :p
OK, I went and braided my hair just to have a look. My braid is nowhere near (and I knew it wouldn't be), but I'm also just barely iii, and I know there are LHC'ers with crazy thick hair, so I choose to believe it's a real picture :)

girloctopus
February 11th, 2010, 12:48 PM

I can try one when I get home tonight. But wow. That looks super thick.

GoddesJourney
February 11th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I bet Peter could do it. He has hair like that and he has a ridiculously beautiful braid or two in his album.

Peter
February 11th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I bet Peter could do it. He has hair like that and he has a ridiculously beautiful braid or two in his album.
You're too kind! :flower:

My hair is drying from a wash right now, but I'll give it a go. If my picture comes anywhere close I'll post it, but I doubt it will.

GoddesJourney
February 11th, 2010, 01:08 PM

My hair is drying from a wash right now, but I'll give it a go. If my picture comes anywhere close I'll post it, but I doubt it will.

Obviously, you haven't seen any of your own pictures.

I just want to see it done. We believe in you... Peter, Peter, Peter, Peter...! hahahaha!

Gypsy
February 11th, 2010, 01:09 PM
It looks as if it could be real. If a person has thick, coarse hair and it is braided loose, as it appears to be in that picture, the braid can look pretty mammoth. :D

I agree, its probably real.
Not everything that is amazing has to be photoshopped or otherwise manipulated.

FrannyG
February 11th, 2010, 01:11 PM

No, GoddesJourney is not too kind (although she is very kind). Your hair is exceptionally thick and glossy and your braids are amazing, Peter. Please do post a photo, even if you don't think it comes close. We need to see it. :wannabe:

Twil
February 11th, 2010, 01:11 PM
My hair can do that, thickness wise, but it's not so long and shiny *envy*

SimplyViki
February 11th, 2010, 01:13 PM
No, GoddesJourney is not too kind (although she is very kind). Your hair is exceptionally thick and glossy and your braids are amazing, Peter. Please do post a photo, even if you don't think it comes close. We need to see it. :wannabe:
:agree:
What she said. Pics please! :D

GoddesJourney
February 11th, 2010, 01:13 PM
My hair can do that, thickness wise, but it's not so long and shiny *envy*

Awesome! Let's see it.

sherigayle
February 11th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Wow, I would love to have that shine! I've seen a few Indian women with hair almost that thick. I've also seen a little girl(maybe 10 or 12) with 2 braids that were each thicker than my own single braid. Those braids were at her tailbone with almost no taper. It was stunning.

spidermom
February 11th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I will come back with a picture.

FrannyG
February 11th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I will come back with a picture.

Yippeeeeee!!!! :disco:

Dreams_in_Pink
February 11th, 2010, 01:42 PM
actually, i could've done it too, with my uncut hair. But now it's heavily thinned and too short :(

spidermom
February 11th, 2010, 02:09 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/02.jpg

O.k., I lied. I don't have a pathetic braid. Last circumference I measured was one coarse hair above the 4-inch mark.

SimplyViki
February 11th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Spidermom: :thud:

The ribbon braided through is really pretty, too.

spidermom
February 11th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Spidermom: :thud:

The ribbon braided through is really pretty, too.

I have to do that as everything slides right off the ends of my newly cut (end of January) hair.

Tangerine
February 11th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Beautiful braid, spidermom!

FrannyG
February 11th, 2010, 02:22 PM
O.k., I lied. I don't have a pathetic braid. Last circumference I measured was one coarse hair above the 4-inch mark.

Umm, yeah, you did tell a wee fib. :liar: A four inch circumference isn't small by any standard.

Really, really beautiful, Spidermom. :cloud9:

MandyBeth
February 11th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Do any of our iii members feel up to posting a loose english braid to see if they get the same results?

Not enough length yet, but I can get apparently "normal" thickness from the top 1/3 of my hair in a braid, so give me a year and I'll try it :)

spidermom
February 11th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Umm, yeah, you did tell a wee fib. :liar: A four inch circumference isn't small by any standard.

Really, really beautiful, Spidermom. :cloud9:

Too true, but the original braid definitely has mine beat for thickness! That guy must have at least a 5-inch circumference.

MoonMaiden90
February 11th, 2010, 03:04 PM
:agape:WOW.

Little_Bird
February 11th, 2010, 03:14 PM
That braid looks unbelievable. Amazing really :)

And Spidermom! What an incredible braid! I love it, even the ribbon detail. It looks wesome, I can't believe your colour!

Keep the pictures coming! :D

Kris Dove
February 11th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Wow, it makes my tapering i/ii braid look puny in comparison!

missjessiecakes
February 11th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Pardon my french but holy s-word to that first picture and to the lovely spidermom. holy cow.

GuinevereMay
February 11th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Here's my effort. I don't think I braided it loosely enough, but even if I did, I doubt I have the thickness for that kind of braid. Excuse my baby's head and my messy kitchen

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4016/4349936090_5d7685933e.jpg

Edit to add: plus my hair is feeling pretty limp and lackluster today.

Peter
February 11th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Best I could do!

ETA: It looks a bit wonky since I'm not used to starting the braid that high. I guess it'll come with practice.

(clickable)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=63609&albumid=2191&dl=1265927082&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2191&pictureid=63609)

longhairdream
February 11th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I seriously think all of you should post your lovely braid pics ! (i'd have loved to, but m still too far away from making a braid in my hair :( )
And thanx for your wonderful pics Spidermom, Peter & GuineverMay !
(http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=26739)

GuinevereMay
February 11th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Best I could do!

ETA: It looks a bit wonky since I'm not used to starting the braid that high. I guess it'll come with practice.

(clickable)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=63609&albumid=2191&dl=1265927082&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2191&pictureid=63609)
Wow! :bowtome: That's amazing! My braid looks dinky compaired to that. Gorgeous!

serious
February 11th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Wow, Peter! :thudpile:

spidermom
February 11th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Ah-ha! Peter has the thickness! And wow - beautiful! Your braid looks good, too, GuineverMay, especially with that cute baby.

longhairdream
February 11th, 2010, 03:36 PM
:bowtome: Amazzing thickness Peter ! all you need is that length ! :)

FrannyG
February 11th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Here's my effort. I don't think I braided it loosely enough, but even if I did, I doubt I have the thickness for that kind of braid. Excuse my baby's head and my messy kitchen

Beautiful braid! :cloud9: My hair should be so limp and lacklustre!

Didn't you know that we LOVE babies and messy kitchens here? :agree:

Best I could do!

Peter, could you be any more modest and humble? Your braid is incredible! :thud:

GuinevereMay
February 11th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Here's a tighter braid. I actually think it looks thicker than a loose braid, which makes sense when you think about it. More compact means bigger or something like that. Okay, I'm done sharing.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/4349961878_dfcfed0b88.jpg

(ETA: Just in case there was any question about my avatar:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=63868)

Aquamarine
February 11th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Holy Moly!! I want my hair just like her!!!!:crush:
I agree with GuinevereMay it definitely looks thick when braided loosely. Nice braid pics by the way.:)

spidermom
February 11th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Well, no, "compact" means "smaller".

One of these days, try taking the first third of your braid as the upper third of your canopy, then divide the lower area in half and braid. It really makes for a pretty and more even braid. I'm pretty sure that's how the original picture was braided, so that's how I braided, and I think Peter did, too.

GuinevereMay
February 11th, 2010, 04:01 PM

One of these days, try taking the first third of your braid as the upper third of your canopy, then divide the lower area in half and braid. It really makes for a pretty and more even braid. I'm pretty sure that's how the original picture was braided, so that's how I braided, and I think Peter did, too.
I thought "compact" just meant in a tighter area, but I get your meaning.
I do braid my hair like that usually, with the canopy braided first. I braided that very quickly to post in this thread. It doesn't look good on me braided the way it is in the posted pictures.

heynormy
February 11th, 2010, 04:07 PM
OMG! my jaw just dropped!!:agape:
Total hair envy right now!

spidermom
February 11th, 2010, 04:08 PM
O.k. - no pressure. Just thought for comparison sake it would be good to see it braided the same as the original picture as different techniques produce different results.

Hey - I think we're about at the same length, though I haven't measured inches on mine since last summer.

restourceful
February 11th, 2010, 04:14 PM
After seeing Spidermom and GuinevereMay around the boards and admiring their sig pics, I now have serious braid envy. :thud:

But, Peter, I am absolutely gobsmacked at how incredible and thick and shiny and beautiful your braid is.:agape: My braid envy may never be cured now. *shaking head at and pitying poor sticky-outy layers in severely tapering braid*

GuinevereMay
February 11th, 2010, 04:15 PM
O.k. - no pressure. Just thought for comparison sake it would be good to see it braided the same as the original picture as different techniques produce different results.

Hey - I think we're about at the same length, though I haven't measured inches on mine since last summer.
No, you're totally right! I just checked (I got curious) and it does look tons thicker when braided that way! This is a "tight" braid.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4034/4349308707_38e679a5de.jpg

Gypsy
February 11th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Best I could do!

(clickable)

Aww! Beauty!!!!!:D

TheLuckyLurker
February 11th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Well, now that I've picked up a nice case of serious hair-envy...

Tressie
February 11th, 2010, 04:19 PM
That is one thick braid!! Wow, and double thud!!! (o: Thanks for sharing~ I can dream LOL!

spidermom
February 11th, 2010, 04:29 PM
No, you're totally right! I just checked (I got curious) and it does look tons thicker when braided that way! This is a "tight" braid.

Thanks for feeding my curiosity; I think your braid looks good this way, and yes - thicker.

LaurenH
February 11th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Oh WOW!! :) *picks jaw up off the floor* That's GORGEOUS! :D

renarok
February 11th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I was wearing a braid when I came across this thread. I took a quick pic of the braid I was wearing because it was a loose english braid, then I tried the Dianyla style (for the first time) and my hands aren't cooperating because it just looks bad. and this is my third attempt.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/4349380971_3dece4b934.jpg

cmnt831
February 11th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Wow, spidermom, GuinevereMay and Peter, those are some good-looking braids! Thanks for posting for the comparison.

spidermom
February 11th, 2010, 05:01 PM
You have beautifully thick hair, too, renarok, even if your braid did come out a little curvy.

renarok
February 11th, 2010, 05:11 PM
You have beautifully thick hair, too, renarok, even if your braid did come out a little curvy.
Thanks!

My hair has a lot of 'residual' layering from my haircut before I started to grow out my hair. That top layer of the Dianyla type braid is a lot shorter so I was borrowing hair the entire braid from other sections.

Here is my hair in a regular english, much tidier even though I had it in almost all day.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4034/4349383989_fbf9d11f32.jpg

spidermom
February 11th, 2010, 05:12 PM
You've got some gorgeous ribbons of color going through there; mine looks matte in comparison.

yellowchariot
February 11th, 2010, 05:23 PM

Best I could do!

I was wearing a braid when I came across this thread. I took a quick pic of the braid I was wearing because it was a loose english braid, then I tried the Dianyla style (for the first time) and my hands aren't cooperating because it just looks bad. and this is my third attempt.

spidermom, GuinevereMay, renarok FTW (for the win)

^ All of you have extraordinary thick braided plaits with great length! Who needs a website pic, when we have members with such awesomeness right here?! ;)

I knew as soon as that picture was posted someone was gong to PWN it! :D

trillcat
February 11th, 2010, 05:32 PM

Well you learn something new every day! I never would have thought of doing this, and darned if it doesnt make my skinny little barely ii hair look thicker in the braid!! Prettier too than just starting it all off at the nape of the neck. SWEET!
Thank you! :flowers:

spidermom
February 11th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Well you learn something new every day! I never would have thought of doing this, and darned if it doesnt make my skinny little barely ii hair look thicker in the braid!! Prettier too than just starting it all off at the nape of the neck. SWEET!
Thank you! :flowers:

And we can expect a picture when?

Xandergrammy
February 11th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Well, my braid is nowhere near as thick as that first one, but here's one of my favorite pictures of my hair in a braid. I liked it so much I used it in my siggy pic!

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/And%20Another%20Thousand/Some%20more%20Xandergrammy/DSCN0027-7-1.jpg

Peter
February 11th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Xandergrammy - :thud:

renarok
February 11th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Well, my braid is nowhere near as thick as that first one, but here's one of my favorite pictures of my hair in a braid. I liked it so much I used it in my siggy pic!

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/And%20Another%20Thousand/Some%20more%20Xandergrammy/DSCN0027-7-1.jpg
Now that's a braid:cheese:

spidermom
February 11th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Absolutely lovely, XG! I'm a little annoyed by my braid now; just took it out and found a huge knot right at the nape of my neck. I'd forgotten about that little complication!

trillcat
February 11th, 2010, 05:58 PM
And we can expect a picture when?

Oh gosh, even though it looks thicker I can't compare to all these massive thick braids! Compared to all yours, I would feel silly!

MandyBeth
February 11th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Wee bitty puny braid (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4611&pictureid=63636)

My hair has dreams of looking like the original picture, here is it's measly attempt. I like it anyways :)

Rhiannon7
February 11th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Wow! thanks for sharing. that is a thick, shiny beautiful braid! yep jaw still on the floor.

Xandergrammy! such beautiful hair. my braid will never be that thick. so beautiful.

bumblebums
February 11th, 2010, 06:29 PM
In the interest of "correcting people on the internet," I do have to point out that many of the pics in that flickr user's set are definitely photoshopped. I wouldn't trust anything I see there. Here are a few that to me look shopped beyond a reasonable doubt:

<links removed, pending moderator decision>

That said, the real pics of the users' braids in this thread are indeed thudworthy! Amazing thick hair, all of you!

Tornerose
February 11th, 2010, 06:47 PM
omg :agape:
Dear God. Please give me hair like that. Amen.

Magelet33
February 11th, 2010, 07:10 PM
wow, those are some impressive braids.

I can't wait to try braiding my hair with the crown section as 1/3. Thanks!

Eniratak
February 11th, 2010, 07:46 PM
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn26/xaoticfaith/100_1097-2.jpg

It's a little wonky, but I guess it's okay.
Not as marvelous as the rest of these beautiful braids!

girloctopus
February 11th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Okay so I tried braiding a little looser than I normally do, so it's a bit messy but boy does it look thicker than normal!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4656&pictureid=63661
I just did it really quickly, so please excuse the messiness! Oh and it's a 5.25 inch circumference. I wonder what the circumference of the person in the original picture is!

GoddesJourney
February 11th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Hey, that's pretty impressive girloctopus. I like that because your thickness might actually be attainable for me one day (although I'm not counting on it). Peter's is simply not in the cards for me, genetically. I'm sure of it. So I can fantasize about a braid like his all my life, but with you, I can have real, legitimate hair envy.

renarok
February 11th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Okay so I tried braiding a little looser than I normally do, so it's a bit messy but boy does it look thicker than normal!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4656&pictureid=63661
I just did it really quickly, so please excuse the messiness! Oh and it's a 5.25 inch circumference. I wonder what the circumference of the person in the original picture is!
absolutely beautiful!!!

catysue
February 11th, 2010, 10:47 PM
All these gorgeous braids! Oh lord :agape:

Roseate
February 12th, 2010, 01:36 AM
My braid is so short and layer-y right now, it is super lame. But here's my old braid, 2 years ago before I cut it:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2630/3818320267_9870aee134_m.jpg

I was trying to take a picture of the sweater, not the braid, but you get the idea. It's my signature, too, to remind me of the length I'm going back to.

The flickr picture looks real to me, but I think it was taken with a slightly wide-angle lens, causing the center of the image to subtly bulge forward and the background to recede. (See here (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/Focal_length.jpg).) I don't think it was done with intent to deceive; many point-and-shoot cameras do have that kind of lens.

And I think the guy probably has a very impressive braid even without the lens!

little_acorn
February 12th, 2010, 02:04 AM
There are some great braids popping up - very drool worthy and something to aspire to :D

I don't have a pic of an English braid, this this the best I have at the moment to show the size of my braid - I have layers too, so I taper off a lot!:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3744&pictureid=56885

Nanni
February 12th, 2010, 02:10 AM
That hair must be incredibly heavy when wet. I bet it takes a whole day to airdry.
Love it!

Dreams_in_Pink
February 12th, 2010, 03:03 AM
In the interest of "correcting people on the internet," I do have to point out that many of the pics in that flickr user's set are definitely photoshopped. I wouldn't trust anything I see there. Here are a few that to me look shopped beyond a reasonable doubt:

<links removed, pending moderator decision>

That said, the real pics of the users' braids in this thread are indeed thudworthy! Amazing thick hair, all of you!

well, not sure about the first one but, the second one seems real to me.

bumblebums
February 12th, 2010, 06:37 AM
well, not sure about the first one but, the second one seems real to me.

The thickness of that woman's braid at the point where it is tied is about the size of her wrist. Even the really thick hair you see on this site looks to be no bigger than, say, four to five inches of circumference.

There is also major pixellation around the outline of the braid, both on her back and near the pillow.

Peter
February 12th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Hey, that's pretty impressive girloctopus. I like that because your thickness might actually be attainable for me one day (although I'm not counting on it). Peter's is simply not in the cards for me, genetically. I'm sure of it. So I can fantasize about a braid like his all my life, but with you, I can have real, legitimate hair envy.
Really? girloctopus mentioned she has 5.25" but last time I measured I only had a bit over 4".

P.S. girloctopus your braid is incredibly awesome. :)

karenpetal
February 12th, 2010, 07:09 AM
OMG !!!! she has gorgeous hair !!! but agreed some of the people here have equally thick and gorgeous hair !!!!!! GirlOctopus your hair rocks !!!

spidermom
February 12th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Hats off to the new (for me) braids on pages 8 and 9 of this thread!

Anje
February 12th, 2010, 07:24 AM
You folks are giving me serious braid envy! I can make a loose braid look big by my standards, but it's still smaller than a tight iii braid.

restourceful
February 12th, 2010, 07:57 AM
renarok, Xandergrammy, Eniratak, girloctopus, Roseate, little_acorn, my puny little braid is now very ashamed of itself.:o :couch: But at least we now have something to aspire to, with all these gorgeous braids. :bowtome: We'll never be this thick, of course; it's just not in the genes. But the lengths! We can certainly work for that. Beautiful braids everyone!:thumbsup:

akka naeda
February 12th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Personally I think the first pic (the one everyone is commenting on) is photoshopped. Open it in Photoshop or similar and have a look, I included the link so you can all do it easily :-)

Pixelation down the lefthand side and some apparently superimposed dark squares with a much higher pixel count. You can see one of them easily at 200&#37;

<removed link, pending moderator discussion>

My plait is about half that thickness right now, but then it's heavily oiled and that decreases the thickness by about 1/3 or so. Sorry about the crap on the lens

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/akkanaeda/plait110210.jpg

young&reckless
February 12th, 2010, 08:30 AM
All of your braids are so amazing!

Pixna
February 12th, 2010, 09:06 AM
I need to be resuscitated!!!!!! These braids are too thick, glossy, and stunning for my heart to handle. I am suffering, folks, with a major case of BRAID ENVY!!!! HELLLLLLLLP!!!!!

Oh, and :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud:

Scrape me off the floor, please!!!

vdhendrix
February 12th, 2010, 09:15 AM
that is amazing, i think its real, i have seen alot of women from india with braids that thick

bumblebums
February 12th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Personally I think the first pic (the one everyone is commenting on) is photoshopped. Open it in Photoshop or similar and have a look, I included the link so you can all do it easily :-)

Pixelation down the lefthand side and some apparently superimposed dark squares with a much higher pixel count. You can see one of them easily at 200&#37;

<link remover, pending moderator discussion>

My plait is about half that thickness right now, but then it's heavily oiled and that decreases the thickness by about 1/3 or so. Sorry about the crap on the lens

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/akkanaeda/plait110210.jpg

First of all, amazing hair, akka naeda!

Second, I agree with you on this one, too. I looked at the pic at a larger magnification, and I can see the pixellation even without Photoshop (don't own a copy).

GoddesJourney
February 12th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Really? girloctopus mentioned she has 5.25" but last time I measured I only had a bit over 4".

P.S. girloctopus your braid is incredibly awesome. :)

You seem to have a problem with your measuring tape. My hair is about 4" and is not even close to yours. I've measured many times. I've tried wrapping the measuring tape around my hair, wrapping a string or paper around my hair and measuring that, etc. Unless your head is microscopic so that your my size braid looks twice the thickness... I don't think so. I may one day have a 5" ponytail, but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyway, are we talking about ponytail circumference or braid circumference because the braid should be thicker...?

longhairdream
February 12th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I DONT think its a photoshopped image - well here are some more pics - and they just MUST be seen !!
:agape::thud::bowtome:

<links removed pending moderator discussion>

DarkChocolate
February 12th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Holy God! That is a thick braid:)

little_acorn
February 12th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Those are serious thick braids - awesome

Morrighan
February 12th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I love this one! I've seen some of our members braid their hair together. These girls bunned their hair together! It would've been even cooler if done at the scalp though.

<remove link pending mod discussion>

And everyone who posted their hair in this thread has beautiful thick braids!

GuinevereMay
February 12th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I do think some of those photos are forced perception.

They used that trick in the movie "Elf" and also in a famous photo of a camel spider. I'd link that one, but I don't want to squick anyone out.

zombi
February 12th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Wow, all of you here who have posted have just gorgeous hair! I can only dream of such thickness (:
thanks for sharing!

GoddesJourney
February 12th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I DONT think its a photoshopped image - well here are some more pics - and they just MUST be seen !!
:agape::thud::bowtome:
<remove links pending mod discussion>

It seems like many of these are taken from an angle that makes the braid look thicker (camera is located closer to the braid than head). It makes a very thick braid look gigantic.

Sissy
February 12th, 2010, 08:08 PM
very nice! What beautiful, thick hair!

ericthegreat
February 14th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I'm late to the party I know. But I had to chip in! :cheese:

Because I'm the only one at home right now, I couldn't get anyone to the take a photo of the back of my head. So I improvised and braided my hair over to my shoulder.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1387/picture266w.jpg (http://img27.imageshack.us/i/picture266w.jpg/)

Isabelle1984
February 14th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Wow thats a thick braid :blossom:

spidermom
February 14th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Eric - have you tried taking a picture of your mirror image? That's what I did.

You have a lovely thick braid.

Unofficial_Rose
February 14th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Eric, what a beautiful braid!

And it looks real - not 100% sure about the other one. Looks like it would give its owner quite a headache.

jaine
February 14th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I hope this question doesn't sound rude but I have wondered why bigger = better when it comes to braids?

Armelle
February 14th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Hm, I don't have many photos of my hair from before the meds made it fall out. How annoying. I did find a couple photos of my hair in a french braid from about 2005. I miss it.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3364&pictureid=63902 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3364&pictureid=63901

I like the look of larger braids. They seem more vibrant, healthier, and impressive. :)

spidermom
February 14th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I hope this question does sound rude but I have wondered why bigger = better when it comes to braids?

I think thick braids catch the eye because they're unusual. It's like the one brown puppy in a litter of black puppies gets more attention.

Roseate
February 14th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I hope this question does sound rude but I have wondered why bigger = better when it comes to braids?

Honestly, I don't quite know, and I have a big braid!

I always wished it were smaller; it's too thick to coil into a good bun until it's longer than waist, and it looks pretty silly at shorter lengths because it's so fat compared to the length. IMO a slightly narrower one looks more graceful and moves better. Mine is like a log, it just thumps on my back.

In the past couple years, though, I've realized that other people like my thick braid. So hey, I won't knock it! But I still think all sizes of braid are nice.

Teacherbear
February 14th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I hope this question does [not (sic)] sound rude but I have wondered why bigger = better when it comes to braids?

Because some people particularly "enjoy" large braids. :flasher: If you know what I mean . . .

I am NOT being silly. Unfortunately.

spidermom
February 14th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Because some people particularly "enjoy" large braids. :flasher: If you know what I mean . . .

I think I am very fortunate to not have a clue what you mean.

Roseate
February 14th, 2010, 02:23 PM

Oh, dear. :brainbleach:

Heidi_234
February 14th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Because thick braids imply thick hair, and thick hair implies good genes. Maybe it's not immediate connection, but if you pay attention people do wish for thicker hair, and compliment on thick hair. I've yet to see anybody actually wanting/complimenting thin hair, so for me it's obvious what most of the people tend to prefer, consciously or not.

Or, you can ask any guy why thickness matters, I'm sure he'll have answers :wink:

spidermom
February 14th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Because thick braids imply thick hair, and thick hair implies good genes. Maybe it's not immediate connection, but if you pay attention people do wish for thicker hair, and compliment on thick hair. I've yet to see anybody actually wanting/complimenting thin hair, so for me it's obvious what most of the people tend to prefer, consciously or not.
:wink:

I have seen many, many threads since I've been here (4-1/2 years) praising fairy tale ends, which tend to be very thin, so thin you can't even braid to the end of them. That would be the exception.

girloctopus
February 14th, 2010, 04:05 PM

I always wished it were smaller; it's too thick to coil into a good bun until it's longer than waist, and it looks pretty silly at shorter lengths because it's so fat compared to the length. IMO a slightly narrower one looks more graceful and moves better. Mine is like a log, it just thumps on my back.
In the past couple years, though, I've realized that other people like my thick braid. So hey, I won't knock it! But I still think all sizes of braid are nice.

I agree! As someone who grew up with hairdressers/anyone handling my hair exclaiming that my hair is the thickest hair they've ever seen and they don't know how I possibly deal with it, I've always wished for more normal thickness hair that didn't look abnormally lumpy when put into a braided bun or thumped around log-like, like Roseate so accurately described it.

I'm still growing out years of thinning damage and at hip I'm just now able to make a braided bun (still very lumpy though, haha). But everyone else seems to love it and I'm learning to embrace it more :) I'm just envious that less thick hair can do things like a coronet braid and a celtic bun that I'm going to need several more inches to even attempt :p

girloctopus
February 14th, 2010, 04:13 PM

Oh no. :run::brainbleach:

FrannyG
February 14th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I am so impressed by all of the beautiful braids in this thread. :crush: I am content with my own little baby sized braid, but I really admire these braids I'm seeing in this thread. There are now too many of you to mention by name, but they're all gorgeous!

SophieSpector
February 14th, 2010, 08:31 PM
amazingly thick and shiney, it looks like the hair an angel would have! jealousy :'(

yellowchariot
February 14th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I'm late to the party I know. But I had to chip in! :cheese:

Because I'm the only one at home right now, I couldn't get anyone to the take a photo of the back of my head. So I improvised and braided my hair over to my shoulder.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1387/picture266w.jpg (http://img27.imageshack.us/i/picture266w.jpg/)

Hm, I don't have many photos of my hair from before the meds made it fall out. How annoying. I did find a couple photos of my hair in a french braid from about 2005. I miss it.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3364&pictureid=63902 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3364&pictureid=63901

I like the look of larger braids. They seem more vibrant, healthier, and impressive. :)

^ Hey you all have some killer cool looking braids! Awesome thickness and texture! rock on!

Heidi_234
February 15th, 2010, 04:17 AM
I have seen many, many threads since I've been here (4-1/2 years) praising fairy tale ends, which tend to be very thin, so thin you can't even braid to the end of them. That would be the exception.
That's a good point, but I'd assume fairytale ends may be about the look natural untouched hair, because they are suppose to happen near terminal length.

akka naeda
February 15th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Oh no. :run::brainbleach:

Oh yes, and the thing about Flickr is that it is full of groups that are specifically for that. Look at some of the groups that person's pictures are in. By which I mean don't even look at the pictures in the groups, just look at the names of the groups.
You could go further and look at the profiles of the various groups' members and you will find a good 60%+ of them have no pics on Flickr themselves and are only there to look at (and download) other people's pics.
And they specifically like long hair, and thick hair.