PDA

View Full Version : New guy here, looking for advice!

Rossman22
February 11th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Hello everyone,

This is my first post, and I've got a few questions (I'm really sorry if they've been answered 3,000 times).

I'll start by saying that I'm an 18 year old guy, and have been growing my hair for about 32 months now, and my length is below the very bottom of my shoulder blades. It's a darker blonde color, and it kinda' wavy, just to give you an idea. My goal length is AT LEAST waist, but I'm 99.8% sure that I will want to go longer.. :D

Now the thing is that I've never once put a pair of scissors to my hair for this entire 32 month period, so my hair could definitely use some trimming, but I'm far too paranoid of "hair places". I've heard horrors stories of people (particularly guys) who go to get their long hair TRIMMED, and the person cutting "accidentally" cuts of several inches. Would you ladies and gentlemen recommend that I wait until my goal length to start trimming, or figure out some way to trim in the near future?

Aside from trimming, I was just wondering the most efficient way to wash my hair. As of right now, I shampoo and condition using Dove Daily Moisture Therapy, every 2-3 days or so. From the short amount of browsing, I see that most of you avoid "cones", which my GUESS would be silocones in shampoo/conditioner?.. Why are they avoided?

Last but not least; I wear my hair down probably 60% of the time, because I haven't the slightest idea of how to do any hairstyle other than a wolftail (man ponytail, :D), which I wear at work. I'd really love to learn how to braid my own hair. Is it causing a lot of damage to have my hair down all of the time?

Sorry for turning this post into a novel, and double sorry for all of the questions that have probably been answered trillions of times.. All help and suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated though! :D

-Rossman22

Little_Bird
February 11th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Hi there fellow long haired guy! Welcome to LHC! You'll love it here :)

Yes, 32 months is a long time to go without trimming. If you're growing from a regular guy's cut tough, then it's great you gained all that lenght!

It seems you are self conscious about hair care, and that's good, it's the first step! I would just suggest you trying to wash it less than every 2 or 3 days. Some people on the board can go up to 2 weeks, I go 1. It's just better for your hair. If you tend to have an oily scalp, you can buy a boar bristle brush to help you spread down the oils during the time you don't wash it.

Here on LHC there are lots of styles you can try to play with and protect your hair. Make sure to try buns too, because they can work very well for guys too! Braiding takes practice, but if you want to, you can do it!

As for trimming, if you find damage in your ends, maybe you should trim a little so you don't get to your goal with bad ends. It's wise not to trust stylists, so you can have someone you really trust doing it for you, or you can search for the Feye's Self Trimming Method, there are a lot of threads about it here in the forum.

Hope that helped! Welcome aboard once again! :D

Dreams_in_Pink
February 11th, 2010, 05:58 AM
first off, welcome aboard! :)

About trimming, i personally am not a fan of that, mostly because my hair isn't split-prone. I think the need to trim depends on the condition of your ends. If your ends are crunchy or split you need to trim. if not, don't :) The fastest way to grow hair is simply not cutting it.

As for washing, you need to examine the problems you have with your hair and scalp. Do you shed a lot? is your hair dry? is your scalp itchy/flaky/dry/greasy? If you're saying no to these questions, that means your current regime is working out for you. No need to fix something that's not broken, eh? ;)

But, if you have a persistent hair problem, there are several kinds of washing hair. To name a few, from harsh to mild: Conditioner-wash-conditioner, Conditioner-only, Water-only, Sebum-only. You need to try and see which one works for you.

as a final note, i highly recommend you to visit these links here. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=32573)

naereid
February 11th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Hello!
You can find some useful articles here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=main). Here's one about cones (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13), for starters. :grnbiggri Basically, some people need them, some people don't.

Maybe you could ask some long-haired guys you know where they cut their hair? There are also some self-trimming methods, but I've never done that and I'm not sure how long your hair should be before you can do that.

Hair can get damaged when worn down because it rubs against everything and snags onto stuff. A lot of friction causes splits. That's also why one shouldn't rub their head vigorously with a towel.

Pierre
February 11th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Welcome to LHC!

Wearing your hair down all the time does cause damage. It can tangle in the wind or get kinked under bag straps. I wear mine up (usually with just the tails loose) except when I need it loose in the Buff for warmth.

If you have splits, I suggest S&D. Get some small hair scissors and cut just the split ends.

SpinDance
February 11th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Welcome! You've already gotten good advice to research about cones and such. Certainly some don't use them, but many do, too. Since we're all different the answer is what works for you is the good thing!

Braiding just takes practice so get your hands in your hair and give it a try. When I first started French braiding I sat with an instruction book in my lap making knots in my hair every evening for about 10-20 minutes until one day my hands 'got' it. Making buns was something like that, too, except the braiding experience and having actual video of people doing it to watch made it much faster for my hands to figure it out.

I found it pretty easy to wear my hair down until it got a little longer than shoulder blade length. Now that doesn't mean it was necessarily good for it, just that it didn't get in my way much. Now that it's past my waist (Yay!) I find it more convenient to wear it up most of the time. This has the side effect of protecting it, too.

Enjoy all the articles and other wonderful information here. So much to learn and try!

lilalong
February 11th, 2010, 06:26 AM
I recommend Feye's self trimming method to trim your own hair. It's easy to do and gives you complete control.

Rossman22
February 11th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Hi there fellow long haired guy! Welcome to LHC! You'll love it here :)

Yes, 32 months is a long time to go without trimming. If you're growing from a regular guy's cut tough, then it's great you gained all that lenght!

It seems you are self conscious about hair care, and that's good, it's the first step! I would just suggest you trying to wash it less than every 2 or 3 days. Some people on the board can go up to 2 weeks, I go 1. It's just better for your hair. If you tend to have an oily scalp, you can buy a boar bristle brush to help you spread down the oils during the time you don't wash it.

Here on LHC there are lots of styles you can try to play with and protect your hair. Make sure to try buns too, because they can work very well for guys too! Braiding takes practice, but if you want to, you can do it!

As for trimming, if you find damage in your ends, maybe you should trim a little so you don't get to your goal with bad ends. It's wise not to trust stylists, so you can have someone you really trust doing it for you, or you can search for the Feye's Self Trimming Method, there are a lot of threads about it here in the forum.

Hope that helped! Welcome aboard once again! :D

First I'd like to say that I'm thrilled that you responded to my post, as I didn't even know you were a member here. I've been following your site since around November of 2007 and your photos were a HUGE inspiration for me to continue growing my hair, thank you so much!

Back in June of '07 was my last haircut, and it left me with about maybe 2 inches of hair or so.

I think I may start shampooing my hair once a week, and conditioning maybe 3 times a week, just to see what happens. Generally after I was my hair with shampoo and conditioner, my hair gets very dry, and seems to fly all over my face, if that makes sense.

I would definitely love to braid my hair, because even having it in a regular wolftail at work results in many tangles.. I usually use a segmented tail now.

I know for a fact that my hair needs a good trimming, and I'd love for it to look healthier, but I'd feel like losing length would be similar to ripping my heart out!.. haha. I guess I'll just have to make a decision eventually.

Thanks for all of your help now, and all of the unknown motivation that you provided me with years ago!.. :D

Rossman22
February 11th, 2010, 06:54 AM
first off, welcome aboard! :)

About trimming, i personally am not a fan of that, mostly because my hair isn't split-prone. I think the need to trim depends on the condition of your ends. If your ends are crunchy or split you need to trim. if not, don't :) The fastest way to grow hair is simply not cutting it.

As for washing, you need to examine the problems you have with your hair and scalp. Do you shed a lot? is your hair dry? is your scalp itchy/flaky/dry/greasy? If you're saying no to these questions, that means your current regime is working out for you. No need to fix something that's not broken, eh? ;)

But, if you have a persistent hair problem, there are several kinds of washing hair. To name a few, from harsh to mild: Conditioner-wash-conditioner, Conditioner-only, Water-only, Sebum-only. You need to try and see which one works for you.

as a final note, i highly recommend you to visit these links here. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=32573)

According to your trimming criteria, I'm definitely in need of one.. :D. I have a pretty good amount of splits, but I guess that can't really be avoided after 32 months of growing from super short hair, and not much knowledge on hair care.

My hair washing routine seems to be working for the most part, but it tends to be dry after I shampoo, so I think I'll cut back on that.

Thanks so much for your contribution!

Rossman22
February 11th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Hello!
You can find some useful articles here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=main). Here's one about cones (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13), for starters. :grnbiggri Basically, some people need them, some people don't.

Maybe you could ask some long-haired guys you know where they cut their hair? There are also some self-trimming methods, but I've never done that and I'm not sure how long your hair should be before you can do that.

Hair can get damaged when worn down because it rubs against everything and snags onto stuff. A lot of friction causes splits. That's also why one shouldn't rub their head vigorously with a towel.

Thank you for the links!.. I'll definitely read about these cones!

Honestly, I don't even have any long haired guy friends, they aren't even fans of MY hair, haha. My cousin is in the process of growing his afro out, and then he'll be getting dreads, so that's pretty awesome in my opinion (though I'm sure a good amount of you aren't fans of dreads, :D)

I wear my hair in a segmented tail sometimes, which seems to cut down on friction some. And I NEVER rub my head with a towel, my hair completely air dries out of the shower.. Takes hours..

Thanks for your help!

Rossman22
February 11th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Welcome to LHC!

Wearing your hair down all the time does cause damage. It can tangle in the wind or get kinked under bag straps. I wear mine up (usually with just the tails loose) except when I need it loose in the Buff for warmth.

If you have splits, I suggest S&D. Get some small hair scissors and cut just the split ends.

I've noticed that as well.. My hair tends to tangle VERY easily (probably due to my damaged ends) and when it's windy, it's like hell!

I DO have splits, but the amount is way too high for S&D.. It would take probably at LEAST 10 devoted hours to get MOST of them, maybe even longer.

Thanks for the help!

Rossman22
February 11th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Welcome! You've already gotten good advice to research about cones and such. Certainly some don't use them, but many do, too. Since we're all different the answer is what works for you is the good thing!

Braiding just takes practice so get your hands in your hair and give it a try. When I first started French braiding I sat with an instruction book in my lap making knots in my hair every evening for about 10-20 minutes until one day my hands 'got' it. Making buns was something like that, too, except the braiding experience and having actual video of people doing it to watch made it much faster for my hands to figure it out.

I found it pretty easy to wear my hair down until it got a little longer than shoulder blade length. Now that doesn't mean it was necessarily good for it, just that it didn't get in my way much. Now that it's past my waist (Yay!) I find it more convenient to wear it up most of the time. This has the side effect of protecting it, too.

Enjoy all the articles and other wonderful information here. So much to learn and try!

In all honestly, I'm glad to hear that braiding didn't come so naturally to you either, because it's pretty damn frustrating for me!.. haha.

I find that my hair does tend to get in the way of some things (eating, brushing teeth, seat belts, etc..), but it doesn't really bother me. In fact, it kind of makes me happy, 'cause it reminds me that it's getting long.. :D. Congrats on having waist length hair, I'm super jealous :).

I appreciate your help!

Rossman22
February 11th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I recommend Feye's self trimming method to trim your own hair. It's easy to do and gives you complete control.

Thanks for the tip, Lilalong.. It seems to be pretty popular, so I'll have to at least give it a read!

Dreams_in_Pink
February 11th, 2010, 07:05 AM
My hair washing routine seems to be working for the most part, but it tends to be dry after I shampoo, so I think I'll cut back on that.

You can shampoo your scalp only and let the suds running down clean the length. That way you won't overclean your hair :)

ETA: On the bottom of every post, there's a button "quote +". Pressing that button in every post you want to adress gives you the chance to reply all in a single post :)

Rossman22
February 11th, 2010, 07:10 AM
You can shampoo your scalp only and let the suds running down clean the length. That way you won't overclean your hair :)

ETA: On the bottom of every post, there's a button "quote +". Pressing that button in every post you want to adress gives you the chance to reply all in a single post :)

I've though about trying that shampoo ordeal, but everytime I go to do it, I end up forgetting and shampoo my entire head.. :D.

And thanks for that information!.. I was wondering what the hell that meant, and I clicked it with no result.. So do I click it until it shows a "-" on all of the ones that I want to quote, and then click the regular "quote" on one of them?

Thanks!

morguebabe
February 11th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Yeah learning to do a simple braid would be helpful... especially for sleep. Segemented ponys or simple braids down for when your out. Look in your hair for split ends and trim them with a good pair of hair scissors. My DBF, started with a shaved head and power grew for 3 or more years before I talked him into a trim.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 11th, 2010, 07:20 AM
And thanks for that information!.. I was wondering what the hell that meant, and I clicked it with no result.. So do I click it until it shows a "-" on all of the ones that I want to quote, and then click the regular "quote" on one of them?

Thanks!

nope, you click on quote+ of the posts you like to quote and then press "reply" button at the end of thread.

You can quote posts on different pages this way too.

JamieLeigh
February 11th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Welcome to LHC! It's always terrific to see a guy who is interested in growing his hair out, and looking for ways to take good care of it. Where I live, that's really rare! :D

As far as trimming...trimming is mostly for those who want a specific shape to the ends of their hair (i.e., U-, V- or straight-across cut), or those who are getting rid of old damage from heat products, dyes, etc, over time. If the ends of your hair are in nice shape, and damage free, then you really don't need to worry about trimming. Most people get by with S&D (Search & Destroy - but I'm a Metallica fan so I say Seek & Destroy. ;) - just trimming above the split on each individual hair) and are perfectly happy with the way it looks.

Cones coat your hair shaft so that your hairs will slide easily against each other and supposedly be easy to manage. I've not found that to be true for myself, and we've never all been able to agree on whether or not they are necessary and/or good for hair. My personal agenda is cone-free, and shampoo-free, and I've found from reading on these boards that most people who go cone-free have better luck with conditioner-only washes (CO), because the shampoos that contain sulphates can have a drying effect on the hair shaft since they're not being coated with silicone anymore. So in the end, with cones, it's trial-and-error and it's up to you to figure out the routine and products that work best for your hair. :)

As far as guy hair - I'm not a guy, but my best friend is and he has mid-back length hair in a wolf's tail style (long on top and shaved underneath and on the sides). He is not a braider either, but he's learning! There are many guys on this site who manage awesome hairstyles - the one that jumps to my mind first is PurpleBubba and his "sleep tail". I'm thinking that style is what some of us call the banded ponytail - a ponytail with elastics spaced out down the length. It's a good style for keeping your hair contained braid-like, but easier on the fumbly fingers. :)

Good luck and hope you find what you're looking for here at LHC. This is the most awesome site on the internet. :D

GoddesJourney
February 11th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Wolftail, very cute. I mean, manly... haha! So I would say learn to self trim. There are various methods and your hair is definately long enough. There are other guys on this site that can give you advice on how they deal with putting their hair back in a way that is masculine. A simple low braid is pretty unisex. There are many links to hair tutorials if you're a visual learner. Experiment with patience on haircare. Try not to try too many things too soon. It gets out of hand. Your best plan is to be as lazy as possible. Try to find another way to do exactly what you're doing that is less damaging. For example, buy a wide tooth comb (preferably smooth wood or horn, which is my favorite) and give up your brush. Get rid of any damaging hair ties and replace them with things that don't damage. You don't have to do anything particularly amazing to make your hair grow. The trick is not to damage it. Simple.

Rivanariko
February 11th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Welcome to LHC!

Self-trimming is my new best friend, personally. I hate having to pay for a haircut when I only want them to cut off 1/4", even though I had a stylist who would actually listen to me and do exactly what I asked, she was expensive! Learning to self-trim, I've not only saved myself money, but I trim when I need to, not when I can remember to get an appointment at a salon. Here's the link to Feye's method which many of us use. http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim
If you're not quite brave enough to go the self-trim route, a few people have recommended barber shops over salons, as many barbers are more inclined to do what you ask and only trim the 1/2" that you want, rather than "neatening your ends" and getting rid of 3 or 4 inches.
If you're worried about losing length, just cut smaller increments more frequently! Average hair growth is about a half an inch a month, so if you only trim off a quarter of an inch, you haven't lost hardly any length, and you'll be surprised at what a difference "dusting" can make in the appearance and manageability of your hair.

As for cones and all of that... it completely depends on the individual and their hair. My hair loves cones. The few times I have tried to deprive it of its cones, it has revolted quite violently. Other people have reported the same issues when they do use cones. It all depends on your individual hair.

Braiding and wearing your hair up will certainly cut down on damage. If you're completely new to braiding, I'd start by practicing with some string or ribbon attached to a solid object so that you can get an idea of how the pieces are supposed to cross over each other without the added frustration of trying to keep chunks of hair together and trying to do it behind your head where you can't see! Don't distress though! I have had long hair my entire life, and I couldn't do a simple english braid until I was almost 19 on my own hair, and only managed to iron out a french braid this last summer (after joining LHC!). All it takes is practice practice practice practice practice!

I'd also recommend checking out the articles section, particular Ursula's newbie advice article (that might not be the exact title, but it's something like that) which will give you some good guidelines for getting started with your haircare routine without feeling too overwhelmed. There is SO much information on this site, which is great, but it can be a little daunting when you're first learning. Follow Ursula's advice and stick to the basics while you do some research and figure out what exactly it is that your hair needs.

shadowclaw
February 11th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Welcome to LHC! I highly recommend checking out the articles section for information about hair care and hair style instructions. There are quite a few styles, too, so you will likely find something you like. There is also a reviews section if you ever want to know about a new product you'd like to try. It doesn't contain every hair product in the world, but there are a lot of reviews. If you can't find the link to the articles and reviews, they are on the dark gray bar right below the light gray bar at the top of the page.

You've already gotten a lot of great advice so far, but I'll add my two cents, too.

If your washing routine works, don't mess with it too much. I wash every other day, because if I go longer, my roots become super greasy and my length dries out. Every 2-3 days equals washing about twice a week, which a lot of people on here do.

I have found that shampooing every time isn't always necessary, because the water takes care of the grease, so you could try just conditioning every other wash to see if that helps hydrate your hair. You could also alternate between shampoo with SLS/ALS and one without so that you are being less harsh on your hair. A good conditioner really helps with the dry hair problem, too. Not all conditioners that are labeled moisturizing will work on your hair. You just have to find the right one.

As for silicones, some people love them and some people hate them. For me, silicones do work better on my length because it dries out very quickly without them. However, I don't need silicones above my chin, so I make sure I use a cone-free shampoo and only condition the length. There are also several different types of silicones, and your hair will likely respond differently to each one. My hair prefers regular old dimethicone, and it absolutely hates bis-aminopropyl dimethicone. One thing you will quickly become good at is reading labels!

If you do choose to go coneless, finding the right oil is the key to success. Oil helps keep in the moisture, which is what silicones do, but not all oils are created equal. I have yet to find one that works on my hair, but I haven't given up on the coneless quest yet.

Lastly, wearing your hair down isn't the end of the world. I found that I had no problems wearing my hair down until now. I'm almost at waist, and it's starting to get caught on things. Wearing it down will cause some damage, but the amount of damage really depends on your hair type and the strength of your hair.

pdy2kn6
February 11th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Hey, good to see more guys taking interest in their hair!! I think it depends on what you are aiming for (in regards to trimming), for example, if you like the look of fairytale ends (the non trimmed look) or a blunter hemlime. If you have splits then I would say try get a trim but make sure the hairdress knows how much you mean when you say only a TRIM. You should be able to find braiding info on this site, and also on youtube. I get alot of style ideas from youtube, they have lots of instructional vids. It just takes practice!! Keep up the good work! Phil

spidermom
February 11th, 2010, 12:28 PM
An alternative method for trimming hair with layers is to make a ponytail on the middle-top of your head, then use a second hair-tie to slide towards the ends as you bring the end of your ponytail down in front of your face. The second hair-tie will make the ends splay out, and you can use a pair of sharp scissors to gently trim away the driest, most-damaged-appearing ends.

I'd also like to suggest that you start putting a little conditioner on your length before you shampoo, and save an empty shampoo or conditioner bottle so that you can dilute your shampoo by shaking a dab of it in warm water, then squirt all over your scalp and work through with your fingers. I run my fingers from forehead toward nape repeatedly until I feel I've covered my entire scalp. I find that this leaves my hair and scalp just as clean as full-strength shampoo, doesn't dry out my ends, and a bottle of shampoo lasts me 3-5 months. After rinsing, condition again, as you are currently doing. No need to change products unless you have a reason to do so (scalp irritation, for instance).

PS - I use a coney serum about once a week because it helps so much with the tangles and the frizz. Nothing wrong with cones as long as they aren't over-used.

little_acorn
February 11th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I have no additional advice from whats already been given so I'll just say welcome to LHC :waving:

bte
February 11th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Good to see another guy here. An alternative to the trimming option is to do more conditioning and oiling (use the many articles and threads to find something that works for you) and forget trimming for a while longer. You'll have ends of varying lengths, but will gain more length. Good luck!

Kirzja
February 11th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Hi, welcome to LHC! :)

I'm relatively new here too, so I have no words of wisdom to share.
Just want to wish you happy growing :cheese:

Lamb
February 11th, 2010, 07:09 PM
If you want to have your hair trimmed (32 months is sure a long time to go without a trim!), you might want to avoid high-end salons. A lot of people here on the boards have had good experience with having their hair trimmed at cheap hair salons and barber's shops. Stylists are less inclined to do a bigger job than they are paid for at those places - less money, less incentive to spend longer on a client's head, if you catch my drift.

Eniratak
February 11th, 2010, 08:05 PM
First off, welcome to the LHC!

I've gone almost six years without trimming my hair. The way I deal with splits is this little thing called the S&D method. You pretty much take a pair of hair scissors and go through your hair picking out individual splits and cutting them off. Very simple and very easy.

I use cones, so I can't really answer that question. I like cones. My hair likes them. It really depends on what your hair likes.

I wear my hair down all the time. Like. 90% of the time my hair is down. However, if you want some ideas for braids and such, the lovely TorrinPaige can help you out. Just search Youtube for that channel and she has a couple of braids that you could easily learn how to do. That's where I learn all my updos and braids, so. XD.

Yep.

trolleypup
February 11th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I've noticed that as well.. My hair tends to tangle VERY easily (probably due to my damaged ends) and when it's windy, it's like hell!

I DO have splits, but the amount is way too high for S&D.. It would take probably at LEAST 10 devoted hours to get MOST of them, maybe even longer.
I would be terribly pleased if I could do a complete S&D in 10 hours! Just doing a bit now and then will help...since you will tend to cut the most spectacular splits first...and those are the ones that tangle the worst.

In all honestly, I'm glad to hear that braiding didn't come so naturally to you either, because it's pretty damn frustrating for me!.. haha.

I find that my hair does tend to get in the way of some things (eating, brushing teeth, seat belts, etc..), but it doesn't really bother me. In fact, it kind of makes me happy, 'cause it reminds me that it's getting long.. :D. Congrats on having waist length hair, I'm super jealous :).
When you are starting out, you may find that braiding from a ponytail is easier than just sectioning your hair and trying to braid.

When looks don't matter, there are any number of protective hair coverings...bandannas, hats, pony scrubs, etc. that will contain your hair and prevent damage.

Learning how to put your hair up is a good start. YOu don't have to start with a full bun...folded pony or braid, claw clipped things, etc. are easy...and honestly, messy styles are more acceptable for men than sleek precise buns.

Also...being comfortable with yourself will allow you to get away with styles that otherwise might be considered feminine. Well, within limits of course!

Olde Soul
February 11th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Welcome to LHC!

My only advice is to heed what everybody else so far has said -- they know their stuff.

Fiferstone
February 12th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Welcome to LHC,

We have several longhaired fellows here in addition to the guys who have already responded :) whom I'm sure will chime in as well. IMHO the world needs more long-haired men. My DH's ponytail is now approaching waist, and he thinks my hair obsession's a bit nutty, but I'm converting him to the dark side slowly but surely. I've gotten him to do the condition-wash-condition method, and he's also using a vinegar rinse. His hair is in much better condition now, so it's all good.
Happy Growing!

Chrissy
February 12th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Welcome to LHC!!! You will find that we have lots of guys with magnificent hair on this board. You have already received lots of great advice. I have none to add but wanted to give you a welcome. I wish you the best in keeping your hair healthy.:waving:

Madame J
February 12th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Also...being comfortable with yourself will allow you to get away with styles that otherwise might be considered feminine. Well, within limits of course!

Limits? My ex-boyfriend used to use those little plastic barrettes and the ball-and-elastic hair ties that little girls use. In pastel colors. To make curly pigtail puffs. AND he used pink Herbal Essences, which has given me a bit of an odd attraction to it's fragrance, which I mostly smell on women now that he's moved. He was extremely confident in his masculinity, and didn't care if people wanted to speculate about his relationship preferences.

Welcome, Rossman! There's a wealth of information on here if you check out all the stick threads and the articles section. There are also reviews, for if you do decide to try new products. I would suggest going to the articles section and finding "Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice" in the Hair Care subsection.

Braids are not terribly difficult -- you might want to practice on yarn or rope first. Dreamweaver Braiding has some tutorials for various braids on their website.

david
February 12th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Just wanted to drop by to add my welcome to the LHC, its always good to hear of more guys growing their hair.

Like the above poster I too suit myself with regards to styles and feel no real limits. I do use barrettes and other accessories but use plain coloured ones that consider fairly neutral, there's a few examples in my profile. I agree braids are great especially on windy days to save damage. Ok, the first time you wear a braid out in public as a guy can be a bit nerve-wrecking but once you get over this and the learning curve to do them its fine. For example, I remember when I was at university and wore my hair in a english braid for the first time all the girls in class including female lectures asked where I learnt how to braid my hair.

Also, regarding trimming. When I was growing my hair I did get it trimmed every so often (roughly once or twice a year) just to keep a shape/style and splits etc at bay.

yellowchariot
February 12th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Hello everyone,

This is my first post, and I've got a few questions (I'm really sorry if they've been answered 3,000 times).

I'll start by saying that I'm an 18 year old guy, and have been growing my hair for about 32 months now, and my length is below the very bottom of my shoulder blades. It's a darker blonde color, and it kinda' wavy, just to give you an idea. My goal length is AT LEAST waist, but I'm 99.8% sure that I will want to go longer.. :D

Now the thing is that I've never once put a pair of scissors to my hair for this entire 32 month period, so my hair could definitely use some trimming, but I'm far too paranoid of "hair places". I've heard horrors stories of people (particularly guys) who go to get their long hair TRIMMED, and the person cutting "accidentally" cuts of several inches. Would you ladies and gentlemen recommend that I wait until my goal length to start trimming, or figure out some way to trim in the near future?

Aside from trimming, I was just wondering the most efficient way to wash my hair. As of right now, I shampoo and condition using Dove Daily Moisture Therapy, every 2-3 days or so. From the short amount of browsing, I see that most of you avoid "cones", which my GUESS would be silocones in shampoo/conditioner?.. Why are they avoided?

Last but not least; I wear my hair down probably 60% of the time, because I haven't the slightest idea of how to do any hairstyle other than a wolftail (man ponytail, :D), which I wear at work. I'd really love to learn how to braid my own hair. Is it causing a lot of damage to have my hair down all of the time?

Sorry for turning this post into a novel, and double sorry for all of the questions that have probably been answered trillions of times.. All help and suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated though! :D

-Rossman22

Hey Rossman,

I was very fortunate to find a beautiful blond hairstylist to trim my hair for me (I wanted to ask her out, but I found out she's married :cry: ). She appreciates my long hair, and doesn't like to cut very much of it off. She also give me tips and great prices every time I go in for a cut. I always tell her what I want. So far, I've been going to her for the last year and a half. I normally get .5" to 1" taken off depending on the damage. I'm going to try and hold off until May to get a trim (probably 1" this time, because my last trim was back in November)

The key is telling the hairstylist Your exact hair goals. And directly say to the person, what YOU want! If you want a trim, tell them exactly that you want an inch or whatever, taken off the ends so get rid of any splits you may have. Generally you can tell by the personality of the individual. If they ask a lot of questions and seem to want to keep your hair "preserved", and even compliment your hair, chances are there isn't nothing to worry about. In the long run, trimming your hair will actually help you reach your goal faster because you won't have to deal with as many bad ends. I try to get a trim every 6 months. I may loose an 1 twice a year, but My hair grows about .70"-.75" per month, which is a great trade off.

Ponytails, and braids are the best functional/secure ways, that I have found, to perform everyday tasks. Mowing, outdoors, playing the guitar. . . etc. Braids especially keep every segment of your hair secured for long periods of time. Banded ponytails (aka the caterpillar, aka french ponytail) is another excellent secure means to secure the hair.

Dude I hope this helps! Peace out!

little_cherry
February 12th, 2010, 03:22 PM
For sleeping, if braiding is a pain (and I often find it a pain if I'm tired), I just bun my hair at the top of my head. If I have no time to braid, using hair bands all the way down my length is a good way to secure the hair without braiding.

Good luck in your growing adventures! I think it is very awesome that so many guys want to grown their hair long AND take care of it! Way to go, man!

Teazel
February 12th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Welcome to LHC. :rockerdud

Rossman22
February 12th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Wow, I'd like to thank EVERYONE for the warm welcomes!.. I wish I had the time to go through and reply to everyone individually, but I just really don't have the time as of now, but please don't think that I don't appreciate what you say to me, because I do.. :D

I have been lurking on MLHH.org for about 2 years now, and I really like to just lurk there and see advice and updates, but the attitude of the members in comparison to here is like night and day. That's not to say that they aren't nice guys, they just seem to get offended or agitated pretty easily and it seems they don't like answering questions more than a few times. I do recognize some of the guys here from there, mainly Trolleypup, wicked awesome hair, my friend.

Today I started my "no shampoo" hair routine, and I'll just be conditioning for a while to see how it works. The conditioner that I am using doesn't have any cones, so we'll see how it works.

Again, thank you to EVERYONE for the warm welcomes and kind words, and good luck on your hair goals! :D

NiAosSi
February 12th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Welcome to LHC!

justgreen
February 12th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I agree with Spidermom, diluted shampooing works just as well as full strength. I use an applicator bottle with a nozzle, about 3 tablespoons of shampoo and 4-5 ounces of warm water. Wet my hair down well, then shake that bottle and and apply all that lovely foam right down to my roots.

I'm also a firm believer in using conditioner AFTER I finish washing and conditioning. I comb my hair out, spritz it with a distilled water mixture (1 drop of jojoba oil/4 ounces distilled water) , then work about a teaspoon of conditioner through the wet ends and length. You'd be surprised at how well this helps soften your ends.

Oh, I'm a regular bleach head and I have soft hair with minimal splits.

ETA: Welcome to the boards!

Tressie
February 12th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Welcome Rossman22!! LHC is a wonderful community and as you've already received a whole raft of great advice, I'll just say.........."Come on in, and welcome to ya!" Have a great weekend! (o:

sarahramen
February 16th, 2010, 06:04 PM
hi welcome! make sure you go to the getting started page and read anything that seems relevant to you. I would go on youtube also for hairstyles that way you can see exactly what they are doing, it's very helpful. also figuring out your hair type is good because then you can see if its similar to anyone else's and see what's worked for them.