PDA

View Full Version : washed my hair with acne cleanser

peronella
February 10th, 2010, 09:51 PM
This morning I was in a hurry and I only had time to wash my bangs (in the sink) so i tied back all my hair and just washed the bangs with my normal shampoo.

Then I decided since I was already down by the sink I'd wash my face. but for some reason (muscle memory maybe?) I slapped my acne face cleanser on my hair and started washing it again.

I was like.....oops...

Its pretty harsh stuff, do you guys think it did any damage?

Honestwitness
February 10th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I've done mindless things like that, too. Like putting the iron in the refrigerator.

I doubt you did any damage, as long as you rinsed it out right away. If it has benzoil peroxide in it, it could lighten your hair, but probably not after only one use.

peronella
February 10th, 2010, 10:02 PM
If it has benzoil peroxide in it, it could lighten your hair, but probably not after only one use.

Oh I hadnt thought of that! It wasnt benzoyl peroxide, it was salicylic acid, but the BP is right next to it, so maybe next time lol

thank you for the reassurance

anneisanne
February 10th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Do be careful about the benzoyl peroxide- I accidentally bleached the ends of my bangs once because I (consistently) wasn't careful to keep them out of the way. Yikes.

peronella
February 10th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Do be careful about the benzoyl peroxide- I accidentally bleached the ends of my bangs once because I (consistently) wasn't careful to keep them out of the way. Yikes.

I usually put all my hair back when I wash it, that could be why the front of my hair seems to be blond near the roots. I should be more careful thanks for the heads up

Carolyn
February 11th, 2010, 06:48 AM
I've done things like that many times with no ill effects. You rinsed it out right away so don't worry.

Chamomile betty
February 11th, 2010, 07:14 AM
I think one time your ok.
I thought I was conditioning my hair with Loreal when I had bought the shampoo instead. I did it three times and wondered what in the world LOL. Duh on my part. That's the funny side of long hair care I think.

Just make sure you condition well.

Madame J
February 11th, 2010, 07:40 AM
It's probably just a sulfate cleanser with salicylic acid added, so it's pretty similar to a regular shampoo. If you used a conditioner, no harm done, and it might actually help if you had any scalp itchiness, since SA is a chemical exfoliant.

sarahramen
February 16th, 2010, 07:05 PM
i doubt it... but if it had the benzoil stuff in it if you keep making the mistake it'll lighten your hair