PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder length hairdo help!

countryhopper
February 10th, 2010, 08:27 PM
For those of us who have shoulder length hair and want it longer NOW, this can be a very irritating length!

What updos can YOU do with shoulder length hair that will allow us to deal with this stage of hair growing, and maybe even enjoy it?:cheese:

I can do:

*english,french, and dutch braids
*herringbone braid
*peacock twist (my everyday, go-to 'do, I'm ashamed to say!)

I've been reading about the gibson twist, which looks like it would also be good for SL hair, but I haven't tried it yet!

peronella
February 10th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I can Do french and Dutch braids, Herringbone, and twirly pigtails.

if I try really hard I can do a dutch braid around my head, but the end is always awkwardly short and I need to pin the stick-y out-y bits.

I'm also interested in the Gibson twist. but i dont think I can do it

egreenleaf
February 10th, 2010, 09:26 PM
i do the peacock twist most of the time.. :/

coscass
February 10th, 2010, 09:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y090jRZu0ZY

What about this? A braided bun for short-ish hair.

GoddesJourney
February 10th, 2010, 09:31 PM
How fun are you? Have you tried two upside-down French braids? They look like horns, it's awesome! People forget that you can French or Dutch braid in all kinds of directions. I make a diagonal one that comes over my shoulder now and then. You can also do rope braided headbands or pulled back rope braided temples. I have a YouTube tutorial about this.

Found it:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MarriedaMonkey#p/u

...I miss my hair that length...

LawyerGirl
February 10th, 2010, 09:55 PM
A sock bun or half-up is my go-to right now. :-/

christine1989
February 10th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I do a partial french or dutch braid but finish it with a clip instead of braiding it all the way down. I also like the "alligator" type clips for a daily basis.

Pixna
February 11th, 2010, 06:17 AM
I just (yesterday!!) mastered (sort of) the Pencil Bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34). It's an AWESOME everyday bun, and it works on hair that is a little past SL (I'm about 2 inches shy of APL). I'm thrilled to have discovered this bun!!

A half-up held with a barrette or Flexi-8 is a good stand-by, too, if you can't get all of your hair in a bun yet. Also, a braided bun, folded braid, and a cinnabun held with a fork or Ficaare have worked well for me, too (just not quite as well as the Pencil Bun).

Messyhair
February 11th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Wow, you guys are ambitious! I don't even try to do updos until I have APL hair!! Most of mine falls out of a ponytail right now because I have shorter layers. :(

curlylocks85
February 11th, 2010, 06:49 AM
I also do half-ups, ponytails, and buns. I have a video of a "Curly Bun" on youtube. You probaby do not have to have curly hair to do it. I also have a video of a sock bun if you are interested.

hmmm
February 12th, 2010, 10:02 AM
I can do braids, the gibson tuck, french twist, peacock twist, sock bun, messy cinnamon bun, twin buns, pony tails... and half ups. It's a pain though and I can't wait to have more hair to play with.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 12th, 2010, 10:05 AM
hey hey fellow shoulder-length! :D

I've done french & dutch braid like everytime i went out (wit the ends tucked in)

I don't like (and cannot do) gibson & french twist, too formal for my taste.

When my hair's dirty, i might be able to do a bun with hairsticks :D

my2cats1
February 12th, 2010, 10:00 PM
any advice for hairdos on shoulder length with shorter layers? those darn layers.....

hmmm
February 12th, 2010, 11:23 PM
my2cats1, I have shoulder length hair with layers. I'm also growing out my bangs so I have to keep them back somehow all the time. I use a small french comb to keep them back, or a jaw clip. When I do twin french braids they stay back anyway. I have to deal with things that fall out for most of the other styles.

Bellona
February 13th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I'm so jealous. My hair's so thick and bushy that I am just now starting to be able to put it in a braid, and I'm at APL. I've only been able to do half ups and ponies thus far. I still can't get my hair to twist around itself for any form of a bun.

Pixna
February 13th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I'm so jealous. My hair's so thick and bushy that I am just now starting to be able to put it in a braid, and I'm at APL. I've only been able to do half ups and ponies thus far. I still can't get my hair to twist around itself for any form of a bun.

What about a peacock twist or a folded braid? If you have some good-sized "holders" (like a large Ficcare), those might work for you. I have a little bit of that problem myself, but I think as your/our hair gets longer, putting it in a bun will become a lot easier. You might also want to start a new thread for updos for ultra-thick hair -- others with your thickness might be able to offer more suggestions.

my2cats1
February 13th, 2010, 08:48 AM
my2cats1, I have shoulder length hair with layers. I'm also growing out my bangs so I have to keep them back somehow all the time. I use a small french comb to keep them back, or a jaw clip. When I do twin french braids they stay back anyway. I have to deal with things that fall out for most of the other styles.

Good ideas - thanks!
(rushes off to practice french braiding....)