PDA

View Full Version : Of course a a 2 week rule, but opinions wanted

melrose1985
February 10th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Since forever i have always battled with loving dark/blackish hair color and lighter colors on. me. I'm so in love with the henna red, and while i have gotten mine a little lighter with sun in, every time i see older pictures with dark hair i really really miss it big time. I have thought about maybe doing all dark hair and leaving my under hair the color it is now. I would still henna/cassia from time to time because i like doing it and it's good for my hair, but i really miss my hair from before the perm the wrecked it all...... I know a lot of people on here said wouldnt be able to get the henna copper i want with out bleaching my natural color some what, and while it's not that i didnt believe them but i want to see what i could do and i'm kind of sick of trying, i kind of miss bottle dye too....

So some pictures of my dark hair... what do you think... and of course i know i need to do the two week rule and not jump to anything. I also know i could do the henna indigo, but i really dont want to use indigo.

Sorry this is sideways (it's from my myspace)
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/121/l_46b024ebdf5a5dacca89709c57c8e149.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/69/l_86471af56fbb6b20086fe51c34d471b5.jpg

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/105/l_3211db6b6552f14e3f1ba1defe731988.jpg

I kind of feel like the dark hair fits me better.... But if i left the under part of my hair as it i can kind of have both.

thanks everyone. I really havent felt like me recenntly, these pictures of from a couple of years ago when i felt great about myself, they feel like "me."

ETA: I'm not really looking for black hair. But the color by the roots which is a dark dark brown. The ends were really damaged so they would come out black... actual black dye doesnt work well for me.

spidermom
February 10th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Seeing as I have no power over you, I can only be honest and say that I don't think your hair looks to be in great condition with that black on it. It doesn't have the same degree of shine bordering on luminosity that the hair at your scalp has. But that's just me. I don't have to look at it, and you do, so you should make yourself happy, which I am sure you will do. Peace!

plainjanegirl
February 10th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Seeing as I have no power over you, I can only be honest and say that I don't think your hair looks to be in great condition with that black on it. It doesn't have the same degree of shine bordering on luminosity that the hair at your scalp has. But that's just me. I don't have to look at it, and you do, so you should make yourself happy, which I am sure you will do. Peace!

I agree completely!

But you should color your world not ours. :D So do what makes you happy.

naereid
February 11th, 2010, 06:20 AM
I don't think it's worth the pain if you really miss it that much. Rules and regulations are good and well, but if you look at yourself in the mirror every day and think "I could fix this so easily"...
Besides, darker shades are supposed to be less damaging than going lighter, so that's a plus too.
But that's just my opinion. I dye too, because otherwise I would get long brown hair, and that's not what I want at all. :grnbiggri

FrannyG
February 11th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I say do whatever makes you feel pretty and happy. :blossom:

Madame J
February 11th, 2010, 07:32 AM

Wow, that's the same thing my mom said to me when I dyed my hair black. I didn't agree with her at the time, but looking back on old pictures, my waist-length, dyed-black hair did look a little flat, matte, and unhealthy.

To the OP, I personally like your hair color at the scalp -- it looks like chocolate, and very shiny. I would suggest giving it more than the two-week rule, since you're still not sure you want to make the change. The 2-week rule is for when you know you want to make a change, you give it two weeks and if you doubt the change for even a minute, you start the two weeks over. I'm prone to snap decisions, so I give changes a month to consider, at least.

marikamt
February 11th, 2010, 07:43 AM
I am kinda in the middle...... I think you look cute w/ the dark hair, but I do agree *too* dark can look flat and matte...... can you go a very, very dark brown??

Whatever you decide, I agree w/ FrannyG, do what makes YOU happy.......

JamieLeigh
February 11th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I've always loved black hair, and I used to dye in high school to get it. I will not lie - I freaking miss it, and my red highlights I'd bleached in too. But I also love having healthy hair that behaves itself, lol.

And the way you look in photos is NOT the way you look in real life - take all our "shiny hair" pics on here, for instance. I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that some of our shininess is the flash on the camera and not natural reflected light. So don't base your decision on what you look like, or someone else says you look like in a photo on the internet.

If you are not happy with lighter colors, then by all means do what you feel. :flower: The end result should please YOU, not all of us.

melrose1985
February 11th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Wait... you have not power over me!!! haha, i thought that wasy funny. I changed my post to let people know that i didnt mean black hair but really dark so that when the light/flash catches it it's brown. Just like my roots. The black on the ends there is crap damage hair.

I agree completely!

But you should color your world not ours. :D So do what makes you happy.
Thanks plainjanegirl.

I don't think it's worth the pain if you really miss it that much. Rules and regulations are good and well, but if you look at yourself in the mirror every day and think "I could fix this so easily"...
Besides, darker shades are supposed to be less damaging than going lighter, so that's a plus too.
But that's just my opinion. I dye too, because otherwise I would get long brown hair, and that's not what I want at all. :grnbiggri
Thanks. Seeing as how i'm not going to keep changing from brown, black, blonde, red and back to brown... i think it would be way easier. And like i said i plan to henna too, it's good for my hair, i do like red, and while i do have the henna on it's relaxing.

I say do whatever makes you feel pretty and happy. :blossom:

Wow, that's the same thing my mom said to me when I dyed my hair black. I didn't agree with her at the time, but looking back on old pictures, my waist-length, dyed-black hair did look a little flat, matte, and unhealthy.

To the OP, I personally like your hair color at the scalp -- it looks like chocolate, and very shiny. I would suggest giving it more than the two-week rule, since you're still not sure you want to make the change. The 2-week rule is for when you know you want to make a change, you give it two weeks and if you doubt the change for even a minute, you start the two weeks over. I'm prone to snap decisions, so I give changes a month to consider, at least.
I'm starting with the two week rule, mostly because i know myself and I'm betting i'll just go do it.... So two weeks now is more do-able. But yes that color at the roots is what i was thinking, but i want to leave a little of the underside of my hair the color it is now, just for something different.

I am kinda in the middle...... I think you look cute w/ the dark hair, but I do agree *too* dark can look flat and matte...... can you go a very, very dark brown??

Whatever you decide, I agree w/ FrannyG, do what makes YOU happy.......
Yea. Very dark brown is what i ment.. i've done straight black once and it doesnt look that good one me.

I've always loved black hair, and I used to dye in high school to get it. I will not lie - I freaking miss it, and my red highlights I'd bleached in too. But I also love having healthy hair that behaves itself, lol.

And the way you look in photos is NOT the way you look in real life - take all our "shiny hair" pics on here, for instance. I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that some of our shininess is the flash on the camera and not natural reflected light. So don't base your decision on what you look like, or someone else says you look like in a photo on the internet.

If you are not happy with lighter colors, then by all means do what you feel. :flower: The end result should please YOU, not all of us.
I agree with you too jamieleigh. I mean i dont want black, but dark brown. And the only reason of the shine in the last one is because of the flash. Thanks!