PDA

View Full Version : I cannot do a rope braid.

coscass
February 10th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I've been trying to do TorrinPaige's 2 strand rope braid to no avail. I just can't do it. Whenever I do it, it seems to just... not hold shape. I feel like I'm doing it too tight, but my hair would say otherwise.

I don't think it could be dumbed down anymore, but I just don't get it. Are my sections too thick? Not tight enough? Too tight? I have no idea. There's a picture in one of my albums (I think) of my first failed attempt. I keep getting the same results no matter what I do.

BelleBot
February 10th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Just had a quick look at your pic. Still looks pretty, but it looks like you're twisting the strands the wrong way. The need to be twisted the same way first, then twisted together the opposite way I think. Could be wrong. Just take a real close look at the video to check which way you should be twisting things. Torrin's videos are great. :)

I recently did my first rope braid and to my amazement it worked. I got lucky I guess. It'll just take practise and before you know it you'll be a dab hand at them.

Longlocks3
February 10th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Really? I thought Torrin does a good job of explaining. Have you looked at other tutorials?

I always start with a ponytail. Usually high, since I like to bun it afterwards.

Ok, high ponytail. Two equal sections. Make sure you twist both sections the same way. Like I twist counterclockwise, on both of them. I start twisting as close to the ponytail holder as possible. I do it TIGHT, some people don't like to do it as tight. Then since I twisted my sections counterclockwise, I twist the sections together clockwise. I start this twist HIGH up the sections.

In your album it just looks like you twisted one section the wrong way.

coscass
February 10th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Maybe I AM twisting them the wrong way. I love Torrin's vids and she does do a great job of explaining things- but my mind is.. kind of broken lol. I'm not good with left-right-clockwise-counterclockwise.

I think I AM twisting one the wrong way, because I just tried a second vid, one that didn't use a ponytail and did it a bit differently- and I got the same results. HMMM. Okay, I'm going to keep doing this until I get it right. Perhaps doing it on one of my mannikin heads would help me learn.

GuinevereMay
February 10th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I just took a look, too. I agree with everyone else. The two sections are twisted in opposite directions when they should be twisted in the same direction. It took me forever to figure out how to rope braid. Now that I figured it out, it's a piece of cake. Keep trying! You'll get it!

morguebabe
February 10th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Yeah in the picture it looks like you twisting the sections the same way and you twist them together.
Like make the strands, 2 or 3 and twist them clockwise...then twist them in together the other way, opposite, so counter clockwise...

Longlocks3
February 10th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Maybe I AM twisting them the wrong way. I love Torrin's vids and she does do a great job of explaining things- but my mind is.. kind of broken lol. I'm not good with left-right-clockwise-counterclockwise.

I think I AM twisting one the wrong way, because I just tried a second vid, one that didn't use a ponytail and did it a bit differently- and I got the same results. HMMM. Okay, I'm going to keep doing this until I get it right. Perhaps doing it on one of my mannikin heads would help me learn.

You will get it! Some hair styles just take longer, my white whale was the figure 8. One way I just threw my hair up and it WORKED.

I also prefer to do this with wet or atleast damp hair. It makes my hair more 'polished' looking.

This was my first 'good' attempt(with wet hair, excuse the crown area): http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3619&pictureid=46501

You will get it!:cheese: Cheering for you!

AgnesONutter
February 10th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I just tried it, it took me a few tries, but I got a decent looking one at the end. You just have to twist the first strands tight. I choose to twist them towards my left shoulder. Then hold them together and twist the thick bundle towards your right shoulder, also tight. Secure, let go. It became a rather soft rope braid, but nice, thick and even. You will get it, if I did eventually. :)

coscass
February 10th, 2010, 04:52 PM
YOU GUYS I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!! It looks REALLY BAD BUT I DID IT!

*Happy dance* Off to take pictures!

Quixii
February 10th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I kept doing that until tried it on my mom's hair. Once I saw how to do it in front of me, I could do it in my own hair. :)
What helped me is thinking "I have to twist this section towards the face." So I think towards the face, not "counterclockwise" or whatever, which ends up confusing me. Then you twist really tight. :)

FrannyG
February 10th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Try this. Twist to the right. Cross over to the left. Repeat.

That's how I learned to do it. You'll get it. I know it.

coscass
February 10th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Thank you guys sooo much <3

spidermom
February 10th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Another mystery solved; thanks for asking Coscass.

coscass
February 10th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Strangely enough, I think doing it over my left shoulder helped me way more than when I did it over my right- which is weird because I'm left handed. But the second I started it on my left side, it seemed to work. Sure it's not PERFECT, but it's 100&#37; better than my first one.

FrannyG
February 10th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Waiting for pictures. :drama:

coscass
February 10th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Waiting for pictures. :drama:

It's a little dark, but here's the finished product
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/The_Squirrel_Has_Spoken/ropebraid2.jpg
That's about all my arms can handle for tonight.

FrannyG
February 10th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Beautiful!!!!!!! :blossom: Way to go!:hifive:

PseudoScot
February 10th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Good job! I remember absentmindedly toying with the ties on a shirt I was wearing and it clicked! It helped me to try it on something else, then I managed it on my own head.

Now, if you take that braid and bun it - you'll get a very pretty bun! Two looks for the price of one! Like the rose bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=47). [You can make this with just a single rope braid].

coscass
February 10th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Good job! I remember absentmindedly toying with the ties on a shirt I was wearing and it clicked! It helped me to try it on something else, then I managed it on my own head.

Now, if you take that braid and bun it - you'll get a very pretty bun! Two looks for the price of one! Like the rose bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=47). [You can make this with just a single rope braid].
Oooh, thanks! I'll try that tomorrow probably! I love it when things click, don't you guys?

Olivia23
February 10th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Don't worry. I'm the same way. I cannot make a decent rope braid in the back of my hair, but if I make two side pigtail rope braid, it's perfect.

Longlocks3
February 10th, 2010, 08:39 PM
It looks really good! Great job.

countryhopper
February 10th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I've had problems with rope braids, too! I'll have to try this!

Question: I've seen directions for 4 stranded rope braids. How do you do this without needing 4 arms?

coscass
February 10th, 2010, 09:23 PM

Question: I've seen directions for 4 stranded rope braids. How do you do this without needing 4 arms?I have no idea. I can't even imagine doing a 3 strand one lol! You even use your mouth as a "third hand", so where's the fourth one come from? :confused:

Just keep at it, once you get it you'll be like, "OHHHHH, NOW I get it!" lol

yellowchariot
February 10th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I've been trying to do TorrinPaige's 2 strand rope braid to no avail. I just can't do it. Whenever I do it, it seems to just... not hold shape. I feel like I'm doing it too tight, but my hair would say otherwise.

I don't think it could be dumbed down anymore, but I just don't get it. Are my sections too thick? Not tight enough? Too tight? I have no idea. There's a picture in one of my albums (I think) of my first failed attempt. I keep getting the same results no matter what I do.

^ I hear ya coscass! I've been trying to figure this one out as well. What kills me, is that it's so simply, yet difficult at the same time. It's the twisting part that gets me. I'm trying to learn this style because I think it would be a great "functional" way to wear my hair for daily tasks, to keep it all secure.

I just tried one out, and I failed, you can go to my album and look if you want. Be warned though! LOL

Try this. Twist to the right. Cross over to the left. Repeat.

That's how I learned to do it. You'll get it. I know it.

^ AH FrannyG with the save! Thanks for that bit of advice. I was trying to twist both strands at the same time, and cross over as well! So bassically just cross one strand at a time, cross over, then twist the other strand! Thanks! :thumbsup:

countryhopper
February 11th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Hey! I just tried a rope braid with these instructions AND IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YIPEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FrannyG
February 11th, 2010, 06:27 AM

Question: I've seen directions for 4 stranded rope braids. How do you do this without needing 4 arms?

I can do a 4 strand rope braid, but I'll tell you. Don't even worry about any such thing until you get the 2 strand down to your satisfaction. Maybe, just maybe, you might then want to try a 3 strand braid, which really is truly like a rope, but 2 strand rope braids are still gorgeous.

Also, to do multiple strands, you don't need 4 arms, but it does take time to learn fingering positions.

^ AH FrannyG with the save! Thanks for that bit of advice. I was trying to twist both strands at the same time, and cross over as well! So bassically just cross one strand at a time, cross over, then twist the other strand! Thanks! :thumbsup:

I'm glad my few words were of help. Sometimes it just takes one key word to get the point across.

I'm off to check out your photo now. :run:

bumblebums
February 11th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Strangely enough, I think doing it over my left shoulder helped me way more than when I did it over my right- which is weird because I'm left handed. But the second I started it on my left side, it seemed to work. Sure it's not PERFECT, but it's 100% better than my first one.

You know, that's probably a good thing to bring up. It works better when your dominant hand is twisting inwards--that is, if you are braiding over your left shoulder and you are a leftie, your twisting is clockwise, and if you are braiding over your right shoulder and are a rightie, you would be twisting counterclockwise. (I'm more or less ambidextrous, so I just tried it both ways.)

sarahramen
February 16th, 2010, 07:12 PM
hmmm have a friend help you the first few times like hold the twist taught etc till you get the hang of it... sorry im not much help