PDA

View Full Version : Buns/Updos without sticks,forks, or hairtoys?

WelshLocks
February 10th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I have a really ig competition this weekend, and I am super excited to be going. However, for my tournament, you can't wear anything in your hair that is sticking out(forks,sticks,ficares) I need to have my hair in a bun or an updo that will be very secure and that only uses pins and hair ties. I've looked through the articles and I haven't found anything that will work. help?

I should probably note that I am awful at buns and updos so easier would be more helpful. My hair is also very slippery.

My hair is Midback only two layers(one at midback the other at BSL)

Thank you!

kittensoupnrice
February 10th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I find that this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=107) makes for a very sturdy, close-to-the-head bun.

indigonight
February 10th, 2010, 04:02 PM
How about a sock bun, it is pinned in place with bobby and amish pins. Otherwise just a plait, english, french or otherwise.

morguebabe
February 10th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Use some good hair days pins and make a cinnamon bun?
I have a video on youtube making a bun without any pins, forks, elastics etc....

Arrow Juniper
February 10th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Have you tried a silk scrunchy? I made one at home with a little bit of elastic and a thin piece of silk. With this very nifty little scrunchy, I am able to get all of my hair up into a bun where it's safely out of the way, without the need for pins or anything else. And because it is silk, I can twist it around my hair very securely without causing damage.

Smokering
February 10th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I think most buns would work with pins, even if they're not traditionally secured that way. Why don't you find the one you think looks the prettiest, ignoring the hairtoys, and then see if you can just secure it round the edges with bobby/Amish pins or slide a few into the centre to act as a hairstick (if that makes any sense?). I've done most of my buns with or without visible hairtoys, depending on the outfit. I guess Chinese buns are out, but surely most other styles could be tweaked?

AgnesONutter
February 10th, 2010, 04:23 PM
For a very secure bun, when I cannot let my hair come loose, I first braid it, then I twist it into a cinnamon bun then I secure it with multiple bobby pins.

WelshLocks
February 11th, 2010, 07:13 AM
The only really annoying part about putting my hair up is that the ends stick out really bad. The reason I can't use hair toys is because they will come flying out of my hair if I whip my head around.(which i do) I don't have hair scroos(I wish i did) so I still need something that will keep my bun secure. Does anyone know of any videos showing uns with no hair toys?

I really appreciate all of the input. :)