PDA

View Full Version : Split End Explosion- yikes!

marikamt
February 10th, 2010, 03:41 PM
So I just celebrated my 6 mo. anniversary, I have learned so much and have been so happy w/ my hair... But all of a sudden, I am having a split end explosion!!!!!!!!!!

I have been S&Ding like crazy, but it is baaaa-aaaad!!!!!!

I have had one really small micro-trim (in addition to the S&D) in the past 6mos.
I am sls/ cone free, don't brush, wear my hair up 75+ percent of the time..... I have really tried to baby my hair.

Why is this happening all of a sudden???????

I am so sad about it! :(

Little_Bird
February 10th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Hmm, it seems your hair is quite layeres... if those were grown without trims I would say that your upper layer might be the one getting most of the splits. In my case, this happens too.

Anyways, I would suggest keeping up with the S&D'ing, altough if you're really unhappy you can figure if most of the splits are in your hemline, as if they are you can simply have a small trim.

I know this is easier said than done, but good luck :flower: Your hair is very pretty by the way!

spidermom
February 10th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Your hairs are doing it just because they can! Mine do, too. I can't take better care of my hair without putting it under glass, and I think it looks better on my head (splits and all).

BelleBot
February 10th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but I find the climate has a huge affect on the number of splits I get. Either very dry and hot weather or freezing temperatures seem to wreak havoc with my hair.

marikamt
February 10th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Your hairs are doing it just because they can! Mine do, too. I can't take better care of my hair without putting it under glass, and I think it looks better on my head (splits and all).

LOL!!!! Yeah, I like mine better on my head too .... :)

Little_Bird the layers HAVE been grown out without trims, you are right

BelleBot It has been very cold here (I am in the upper midwest)

Sweetness
February 10th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I think little bird might be right... maybe your layer grew to a point where the become much more visible now ? this is then a good point, because now you'll soon get to trim those !

And the weather can have a huge impact too (dry heat inside / cold outside... not good I think)

Luckysock
February 10th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I'm going through this too! I'm blaming the dry harsh winter and the abuse my hair is taking being stuffed under hats, getting caught up in coats and scarves etc :)

Keep S&Ding - it'll stop soon :)

FrannyG
February 10th, 2010, 04:12 PM
If and only if you know someone who knows what a half inch looks like (it's the width of the smallest part of my baby finger), you might want to get a very tiny trim on your ends and your layers. If you don't know someone capable of restraint with the scissors, don't bother.

Just keep S and D'ing and try not to obsess. It's inevitable for most people to get splits after a certain length.

Congratulations on your 6 month anniversary and wonderful progress! :blossom:

Messyhair
February 10th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Is it possible that any more friction is happening lately? I noticed a lot more splits when my hair hit waist, and I assume it was because of more wear and tear.

xoxophelia
February 10th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Are you sure your scissors are sharp? They could be causing the splits..

marikamt
February 11th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Are you sure your scissors are sharp? They could be causing the splits..

No.... :oops: they are really not sharp.....

Well, I am going today to get a trim. I have hemmed and hawed long enough...... I would rather give up a little growth and love my hair again. I was racing towards my goal like it was a sprint..... I need to enjoy the journey, and I will when my ends are healthy and my hemline is in better shape.

Will post pics when I get home, thank you all for your advice!

Forever_Sophie
February 11th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I've noticed this too, just Tuesday night!! I swear, in over a year I didn't find any split ends, then I was reading that night, noticed a strand...then another, with split ends! S&D today, for sure. The air is very dry, esp. where I work, and all the heat definitely isn't helping.

Tangles
February 11th, 2010, 04:01 PM
I recently had one too and just S&D'd as much as possible. I also used cones again for a bit and I think that calmed it down some. The explosion ended eventually, so I'm fairly confident yours will, too.

It also motivated me to take vitamins on a daily basis once again, which I think can only be a good thing.