PDA

View Full Version : Another hairtyping/changing hairtype question

Alaskanheart
April 29th, 2008, 05:43 PM
ETA: Look at pictures below, and tell me what hair type it looks like.

Before LHC Ive always considered my hair to be stick straight. Ive used the blow dryer for so long that, I think somewhere between the time I started blow drying and the time I stopped my hair has changed from straight to wavy. Also I have used cone shampoos since I was a little kid, and my hair is fine and it tends to take all the wave out.

I first noticed the waves when I stopped blow drying after every wash, and stopped using cones and harsh sulfates. I did CO for about 5 months and the waves and body increased as I grew more inches, at the moment I am using Morrocomethod shampoos and no cone conditioners.The waves have become wilder and wilder (for me) the longer my hair gets and the longer I don't blow dry and use cones/sulfates.

Okay after the long winded explanation; I don't know if I'm right about my classifications. Am I right or wrong about being 1b 1c or do I need to move into the 2s category?

Also , since I have never dealt with having this wavy of hair before, can those of you who have give me some advice on how to combat the frizzies, and define the waves without weighing my hair down? I really like having more wave and body, and because of the finess of my strands anything heavy is going to weigh it down and flatten it out.Ive used aloe vera gel , but it seems to become crunchy after a few uses.

Heres some pics.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd239/dropkimaline/hair5018.jpg
After a wash and air dried till damp, hasn't been combed , it takes about 11/2 hours to get hair to this point.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd239/dropkimaline/hair5020.jpg
just about dry just a bit damp underneath, no products very slightly smoothed with hands to get the frizz down, about 3 hours to get to this point.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd239/dropkimaline/april26001.jpg
2nd day after wash, has been misted and lightly oiled a few times, and detangled before picture.

Thanks for the help:)

ETA:lately the majority of my shed hairs look S shape, and Ive been finding a few spirals here and there too.

Riot Crrl
April 29th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I think it is definitely approaching 2a territory.

Lorraine Massey, much as she hates shampoo, says that 2 needs it occasionally. She suggests to use a gentle one, only sometimes, and CO the rest of the time. And for using the shampoo, she lays out a CWC routine.

What kind of aloe gel did you use?

I sometimes use the kind that you are supposed to use on your skin lol. But I got it at a health food store and checked ingredients carefully. If it is this kind, and if you mean that it was drying out your hair, check ingredients for things like alcohols. Some can even have cones.

If it was the drinkable kind that is pretty much plain aloe juice, I use this as a component of conditioning treatments but I can't imagine getting any kind of decent hold from it.

If you just mean that it felt crunchy when it dried, all gel pretty much does that. When it's 100% dry, just scrunch the hair one more time to remove the "wet look."

angelthadiva
April 29th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I don't have an answer, but I'm in the same boat as you. I'm a former blow dry and flat iron girl. I'm still drying, but on a lower heat and only a little bit. I started noticing the wavy curls a while ago, but now that I'm actually treating my hair better, they are coming out to play.

I need to be retyped too, but I'm going to have to wash way earlier in the evening to do it. :(

Ugh, the real reason I posted in the first place was to tell you that I love your hair! :flower:

Alaskanheart
April 29th, 2008, 08:52 PM
thanks riotccrl, would you say its a definate 2a or 2a-2b or 1c-2a?Im clueless about waves and curls.

I do use a clarifying natures gate shampoo diluted with water once and awhile. CO was doing good for along time but started to leave my hair limp lately, so im taking a break from it.I really like MM too.

The aloe vera gel, was a brand from my health food store and contained no cones and Im pretty sure no alcohol. It says 99% natural, with comfrey, camomile , and cucumber extact, methoparaben, phenoxyethanol, and fragranced with essential oils.It does say for skin, and I used it on my face a few times and it did seem slightly astringent, but not drying. I guess Im just not used to using gels on my hair, and not sure what to expect?

By the way your curls and color are fabulous!I will check out some more info on Lorraine Massey.

Angelthadiva: Thanks for the compliments!I think your color and length are awesome.Looks like we both joined around the same time. Its strange having hair change so much from what we are used to isnt it?Ive always wished I had wave and body, and I love how its changed from straight and lank, to wavy and full, but it presents itself with a whole new set of challenges too.

angelthadiva
April 30th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Angelthadiva: Thanks for the compliments!I think your color and length are awesome.Looks like we both joined around the same time. Its strange having hair change so much from what we are used to isnt it?Ive always wished I had wave and body, and I love how its changed from straight and lank, to wavy and full, but it presents itself with a whole new set of challenges too.

Thank you! I guess we did join about the same time! It's interesting to see how my hair is if I just leave it alone; instead of trying to beat it into submission. Although, I wish it were either straighter or curlier instead of this inbetween stuff...It has been a fun journey watching it change as I began treating it better.

Juliet's Silk
April 30th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I'd say you're a 2a. If you look at your 2nd day hair, you see that the waves are still there. In my opinion, that's the biggest difference between 1c and 2a - the 1c waves don't have true staying power, whereas true wavy hair will still look wavy even if combed etc. In addition to that, you have waves all over, not just some waves here and there.

mommy2one05
April 30th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I would say you are probably a 2a. Your hair is very pretty though.
So does everybody find that as your hair grows longer it changes? See I always thought that as it grew longer it would become straighter since the weight would kinda pull it down, but am I wrong? I also always have to use cones since my hair which I think is borderline 1/2 is so prone to tangles...some days it's more straight then others.

Alaskanheart
April 30th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Angelthadiva , I do agree it is interesting to see what hair does when we dont "beat it into submission.lol. I was a dye/bleach and round brush/ blowdryer addict for a long time. Now that Im used to it looking more natural I think its not so bad as I thought. I do still get a bit irritated, that everythings not perfectly symetrical and shaped, but as it gets longer I think that will be easier to deal with.

Juliets silk thanks for the help with determining my hair type. The second day comment makes alot of sense. Im going to change to 2A, I think your right. Your journal with the hendigo applications have been very helpful with helping mom formulate her color.

Mommy2one05.Thanks for the lovely compliments that is always an uplifter.Thanks for the help with the hair typing too.I always thought hair got straighter from the weight too. I wonder if my roots, not being chemically altered and heat exausted might be coming out wavier and influenceing my length to go more crazy as well as the changes I have made to my routine?Gosh your hair is so thick and long, Its georgeous.

florenonite
April 30th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I'd say 1c/2a as your wave pattern looks rather like mine.

Ursula
April 30th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I'd say your 2a. According to Fia's hairtyping article "2a - loose, stretched out S-waves throughout the hair."

The straightness of your day-after-wash picture is from handling, and it is typical of wavies to go gradually straighter between washes.

Alaskanheart
April 30th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Ursula, I agree it is alot straighter in the last picture. It is second day going on 3 (night pic), and I misted and oiled about 3-4 times, because I live in the desert ant it was hot that day, plus I detangled about 4 times since the wash and right before. Thanks for the Wavy thread, I just found it!

Florintine: You have very pretty hair, I think I have more of a wave pattern than I can see in your sig,.I have more waves in the front rather than my back, do you find this to be the case with your hair too?

Weird too is Ive been finding loose spirals in my hair lately, but most are S shape.

I tried bunning but my hair went into crazy curls, and it was out of control.

florenonite
April 30th, 2008, 04:40 PM
My sig was wet-combed then dry-combed, so it's quite straight. It is wavier at the front than at the back, though; I have actual ringlets at the very front which gradually become straighter and straighter as you go towards the back. Weird, eh?

Alaskanheart
April 30th, 2008, 05:24 PM
My sig was wet-combed then dry-combed, so it's quite straight. It is wavier at the front than at the back, though; I have actual ringlets at the very front which gradually become straighter and straighter as you go towards the back. Weird, eh?

Yeah wavy hair is weird. I have loose spirals in the front and then Ses in the back with a few spiral like waves here and there after my hair is completly dry, then they get less and less over the next few days, and the amount of times I comb /apply oil. I dont comb wet anymore, for damage, and also because it made my hair look strangly bent, and weird in spots.Its helped me get over blowdrying, because it doesnt look so weird, and I dont have to "fix it with the blowdryer.lol

zift
April 30th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I agree with others Alaskanheart, the volume and the state of how your hair lies tells me that you're a wavy. 1c straighties most likely lose their waves after the first wash day while you keep them. I wouldn't be surprised if you discover even more waves in the future;) My guess would be 2a:flowers:

Alaskanheart
April 30th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks zift I wouldnt mind getting even more waves, I think it would be fabulous!

Your hair is amazingly Long!

zift
April 30th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks zift I wouldnt mind getting even more waves, I think it would be fabulous!

Your hair is amazingly Long!

Tehehe thanks :D About bumping the waves have you tried camellia oil(has it been mentioned yet?). There's a thread going on on the recipes section and I think some people get more defined waves and say it leaves their hair soft without weighing it down. You might benefit from that as a fine haired wavy:) Also our hair type and texture is a bit different but ACV rinses leave my hair quite volumed and more wavy. I recommend trying that too.

Riot Crrl
April 30th, 2008, 06:18 PM
thanks riotccrl, would you say its a definate 2a or 2a-2b or 1c-2a?Im clueless about waves and curls.

Probably 2a at this point with potential for more?

I do use a clarifying natures gate shampoo diluted with water once and awhile. CO was doing good for along time but started to leave my hair limp lately, so im taking a break from it.I really like MM too.

Understandable. Like I said, even LM, hater of shampoo, does not advocate purely CO all the time for any 2 types. (She calls them something different and more confusing than Fia's types, though.)

The aloe vera gel, was a brand from my health food store and contained no cones and Im pretty sure no alcohol. It says 99% natural, with comfrey, camomile , and cucumber extact, methoparaben, phenoxyethanol, and fragranced with essential oils.It does say for skin, and I used it on my face a few times and it did seem slightly astringent, but not drying. I guess Im just not used to using gels on my hair, and not sure what to expect?

I wonder if some of those plant extracts could be astringent. Possibly the phenoxyethanol could be also. I haven't noticed any drying from the one I use and it does have that, but who can say what the ratio is.

By the way your curls and color are fabulous!I will check out some more info on Lorraine Massey.

Eee thank you! It's actually darker now, I need a new avatar haha.

Alaskanheart
April 30th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Zift, yes I love camillia oil!It works for my hair better than any other oil ive tried, it does make hair soft but doesnt grease easily or weigh hair down too much.I think I will try acv rinses again. I did them before when I first joined, and they didnt work well for me, made my hair wiry and dry feeling I used one teaspoon in a large 32 ounce cup, but my hair has changed alot since then so may react differently?

zift
April 30th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I think I will try acv rinses again. I did them before when I first joined, and they didnt work well for me, made my hair wiry and dry feeling I used one teaspoon in a large 32 ounce cup, but my hair has changed alot since then so may react differently?

Eeek my hair is already wiry and dry maybe that's why it didn't make so much difference:o It just makes it very volumed and wavy so I suggest it to people who don't want to weigh their hair down.If it has a drying effect for you, you may not benefit from it.

spidermom
April 30th, 2008, 07:23 PM
2A and gorgeous.

Alaskanheart
April 30th, 2008, 08:58 PM
2A and gorgeous.

your such a sweetie spidermom:), Your one of my hair idols, and Ive noticed you have very pretty skin as well!

tiny_teesha
April 30th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I agree, i think you are a 2a!