PDA

View Full Version : I did it! I killed my first vacuum!!

halo_tightens
February 10th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I shouldn't be excited, lol. We only had the one vacuum cleaner, and it's not like we have a lot of money to replace it. But somehow... I feel just a touch of pride! :cheese:

It's DH's day off work, and he just called me to tell me that it had died on him as he was trying to clean. Actually, it got hot and started to smoke, and apparently there was even a tiny fire that he quickly squelched.

Then he said, "I flipped it over, and there was all this red hair wrapped around the bar..." Oopsie. That would be mine.

Anyway-- thank you, LHC, for turning the death of a valuable appliance into not quite such an unhappy occasion! :D

cmnt831
February 10th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Off to clean my vacuum now....

Congrats, though, on your - erm - achievement! :p

little_cherry
February 10th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Off to clean my vacuum now....
Same here... O_o

enfys
February 10th, 2010, 10:58 AM
See, this is why long hair is gross to some people!

And another hidden cost of long hair...

SHELIAANN1969
February 10th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I have gotten to the point where I recognize the slight whine of the motor and the smell of the hair, I always tell hubs to check the bar, I would hate for ours to go bye bye, but congrats on the milestone! :flower:

Kaijah
February 10th, 2010, 11:00 AM
You know you're a long hair when... you can claim destruction of property by hair. :rolling:

*rofl* Another reason to keep track of cleaning the vacuum, I guess. See, hair is a motivator! It's worth the cost!

Fairlight63
February 10th, 2010, 11:58 AM
It is amazing how strong just a few hairs get when you put them all together!

SimplyViki
February 10th, 2010, 11:58 AM
:ponder: I wonder if that's why our vacuum hasn't been working that well lately?

halo_tightens
February 10th, 2010, 12:03 PM
:ponder: I wonder if that's why our vacuum hasn't been working that well lately?

Definitely check it out! I noticed that it wasn't quite itself the last time or two I used it, but it hadn't occurred to me that I'd be killing vacuums just yet. I should have looked!

sweet*things
February 10th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Congrats, I guess. :D

We buy replacement parts in multiples, and even sourced generic parts for our Oreck. DH has fixed it four or five times now, but it's going strong aside from hair issues.

janiejones
February 10th, 2010, 12:59 PM
When my sister and I were younger and both had waist/hip length hair, my dad would regularly de-hair the vacuum. I never even thought that it's kind of odd to plan bi-weekly or so vacuum de-hairings (yes, I make up words), but I guess it's necessary!

Nightshade
February 10th, 2010, 01:07 PM
For all you cleaning your vacuums, a seam ripper is a godsend to get the hair off the bar :)

Oh, and congrats on your milestone! :lol: :cheer:

melikai
February 10th, 2010, 01:10 PM
LOL! Congratulations? :lol:

To help save my vacuum, since BF and I both have long hair, I first take a stiff carpet brush and brush the majority of hairs off the rug (unless you have wall-to-wall carpeting - that might be too much work). Then I use the vacuum! Just a suggestion, if you want to help prolong the life of your next one. :)

Dementia1013
February 10th, 2010, 01:11 PM
LOL! Congratulations! (Running to clean out vacuum)

walterSCAN
February 10th, 2010, 01:17 PM
For all you cleaning your vacuums, a seam ripper is a godsend to get the hair off the bar :)

Oh, and congrats on your milestone! :lol: :cheer:

Thanks for this-- I was just about to ask what the best way to clean the bar is... :bounce:

And congrats to the OP!! :eek:

ArienEllariel
February 10th, 2010, 01:24 PM
In general we don't vaccum around here, but when we had carpeting we were constantly having to clean the hair off the roller. Now that we have hard floors, I find it so much easier to damp dust with a damp rag mounted on a swiffer. It works great, it's cheap, it doesn't waste electricity, and it keeps me from getting congested and/or having an asthma attack from the dust. :)

curlycrown
February 10th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Wow! this thread is too funny! Congratz on your achievement?!

halo_tightens
February 10th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Lolz... I wish we had wood or vinyl floors, but we live in a rented apartment that's completely carpeted except for the bathroom and kitchen.

Trust me, I've learned my lesson! When we get our vacuum replaced, I'll be checking on that bar after every use! I was fully aware that this could happen, from all the past threads on the subject. I just didn't realize it was time to worry about it yet!

Thanks for all the mixed-feelings-congratulations!! :D

Katze
February 10th, 2010, 01:53 PM
If you are going to buy a new one I would strongly recommend the Miele model 'Cat and Dog.' It is designed to pick up hair, with a special motor that sucks more when the sucking end is flat against the floor (sorry I can't describe this better). We are two longhairs in a carpeted rental apartment and can truly say the Miele really sucks, in a good way. I have to be careful with things like clothing, tablecloths, etc around it - super high powered hair sucker!

clichepithet
February 10th, 2010, 02:28 PM
For all you cleaning your vacuums, a seam ripper is a godsend to get the hair off the bar (snip)

THANK YOU. I washed my vacuum this morning for the reasons as stated in this thread and during all the fighting to get the hair out of the rotary brush this never once crossed my mind. Genius.

:cheese:

Nightshade
February 10th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks for this-- I was just about to ask what the best way to clean the bar is... :bounce:

And congrats to the OP!! :eek:

THANK YOU. I washed my vacuum this morning for the reasons as stated in this thread and during all the fighting to get the hair out of the rotary brush this never once crossed my mind. Genius.

:cheese:

You guys are so welcome :D I stumbled across it after nearly cutting myself trying to use a utility knife. The seam ripper is not only more effective, it's MUCH safer :p

embee
February 10th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Congratulations on this milestone. :) Been there myself. It is a bit depressing, but funny too.

It's a bad month for appliances at your house, right? ;)

BelleBot
February 10th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Sounds familiar, I have to break out the scissors/knife and de-hair the dyson every couple of months to keep it running smoothly!

Arrow Juniper
February 10th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Seeing a spool of long, luxurious red hairs in the belly of that vacuum cleaner sounds so lovely! Condolences on the loss of that vacuum...what a great little unfortunate event. Your hair looks gorgeous!

kittensoupnrice
February 10th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Lol! Congrats on your first vaccuum death! Both hubby and I have long hair. We have to trim the roomba's brushes every other day. :D

AmericanWoman
February 10th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Take the roller bar off the vaccum, cut out and remove the hair that wraps around the roller and the thingies on the side that hold the roller in place. Most likely Just needs a cleaning and all will be well.

Ok, I didn't read the whole thread so I see others have helped Get The Vaccum Cleaner Off Life Support. Hope it comes back to life. ;)

JamieLeigh
February 11th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Lol, great milestone. But I'm sorry your vac is out of commission.

So a resounding YAY!!!!!! :cheer:

And....... I'm sorry for your loss. :violin:

;)

ArienEllariel
February 11th, 2010, 09:07 AM
You guys are so welcome :D I stumbled across it after nearly cutting myself trying to use a utility knife. The seam ripper is not only more effective, it's MUCH safer :p

Scissors worked just fine for me when we had that problem.

halo_tightens
February 11th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Thanks for all the fun comments, you guys! :D

Once upon I time, I might have been extremely upset about this. Now, well... I'm not thrilled about having to come up with the funds for a new one, but I'm able to get a good laugh out of it as well!

Gotta love the LHC. :crush:

beez1717
February 11th, 2010, 09:59 AM
oh gee. I can't wait until I kill my vacuum cleaner. I hate it to death. Always clogs somehow :( If I kill it then I'll have an excuse to get a new one :)