PDA

View Full Version : To people who had pixies in the past...

rosyaddie
February 9th, 2010, 03:24 PM
What length is your hair now, and how long did it take to get to it? :)

Ravenwaves 88
February 9th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I'm at 29" and it took me 8 years to get here. Only the past 4 have been serious attempts at growth and reconditioning. Dye's and Layers. So....yeah. Good luck on your journey.

Thinthondiel
February 9th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I had a pixie four years ago, but I didn't immediately decide that I wanted quite long hair, so I had it cut a couple of times after that. My hair is mid-back length now, nearly waist when wet/straight (ETA: my sig pic is old).

Sheltie_Momma
February 9th, 2010, 03:35 PM
In 2003 I had a pixie, by 2005 it was shoulder length. It is waist now, about 30 or 31 inches.

frodolaughs
February 9th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I had a pixie in 2001. By 2003 it was shoulder length. In fall of 2005 it was between BSL and waist, and I cut it to jaw length. I had that haircut until early 2006, so it's been almost exactly 4 years now and I'm (almost) at tailbone. For me that's 19 inches of gained length in the last 4 years.

Cheeks1206
February 9th, 2010, 03:45 PM
My last cut for my pixie was mid-October 2008 and I am now just past SL. So, 16 months. It's probably a smidgen longer when it's straight.

serious
February 9th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I started growing out a pixie in November 2007.
You can see my current length in my siggy picture. I only did a few micro trims (dusting) during last year and hope I can reach waist by the end of 2010.

trillcat
February 9th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I had a pixie, oh gosh, 5/ 6ish years ago, I think?
My hair is 24" now.
Its been a rough road for my hair, bleached, back to natural, bleached again, blowfried to within an inch of it's life, harsh shampoo, etc. Lots of damage cut off along the way.
If I knew then what I know now, my hair would be way, way longer at this point in time. Makes me sad but, you live and learn. :agree:

Islandgrrl
February 9th, 2010, 03:48 PM
What length is your hair now, and how long did it take to get to it? :)

Hip length. Four years, the first year with regular haircuts to avoid the Mullet of Doom. ")

sarahbrownie
February 9th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I was possibly less than .5 inches, it took two years to get it shoulder length and another year to even all the layers out. Add another year to make it APL. :p

missjessiecakes
February 9th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Lets see I had a shaggy pixie in august and I am chin length now.

Anne~
February 9th, 2010, 03:55 PM
LOL Never had a pixie because my hair is so curly so it was a fro. but it was pixie length. It took the normal time of a half an inch a month I had to trim it to get it even. Do the math it is 45 inches now.

http://www.sullyswebdesigns.com/lhc/curls09.jpg

punkgirl89
February 9th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I had a pixie this time last year. It is now 2 in. above shoulder.

-simply Venus-
February 9th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Shoulders when curly, 2 inches past when straight. I'd say it took about a year to get here? Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was a year or maybe a bit longer. And while it grew though very awkward stages I wanted to cut it soooo bad, but my motivation to get it long was stronger than my want to have unawkward hair. It is so funny though! This thread reminded me of when I started growing out the pixie, that I looked up how fast hair grows, and thought, okay, it'll be a bob in a year! And guess what? It's a little over a year, and it was finally the bob that was my first goal! XD Next step, BSL!

Messyhair
February 9th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I had a very short pixie in December 2008 and my hair is heavily (naturally) layered right now, but the longest is at my shoulders and the shortest is about chin length. It took me five years to get to waist length from the same short cut last time, so I'm assuming it will be the same this time. Maybe a bit quicker because I had a lot of trims last time to avoid 'mulleting'. :)

ali beast
February 9th, 2010, 04:30 PM
super short pixie almost exactly 1 year ago, now 1.5" away from shoulder. (i had my mullet snipped to even it out with the sides.)

MandyBeth
February 9th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Starting from nothing from the PPD frying scalp disaster, now 6 1/2 years (about 9 months of that was staying at nothing because my scalp was healing and the hair that was trying to grow just snapped off at nothing) and I'm at chin. On the normal growth rate at about 1/2" a month now, but it's taken a LOT of trims to get this mess evened up and about the first 12" of regrowth (of which, I still have about an inch) is really messed up and will have to be cut off - but I'm now seeing how much longer I can stand waiting to cut it off.

If I measure in my method (straight from part line) I'm at oh 8" or so? If I follow the LHC guidelines, I'm hitting about 14" or so I think. Too short to really measure yet.

xoxophelia
February 9th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Well I didn't have a pixie but I thought I would add some of my info as it seems quite different from the others here. I had just past shoulder length hair (maybe 18-19") at the start of June last year. Now my hair is almost 28" or a few inches below my bra strap. :)

So that isn't really too long of a time to grow it out. That is about 10" in 8 months and I cut off an inch recently.

redneckprincess
February 9th, 2010, 05:09 PM
pixie cut - 5/08
cut off to neck/shoulder length (from not quite APL) - 2/09
APL - 1/10

pumori
February 10th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Let's see. I had a pixie in....2006-ish? I've forgotten :) It grew fairly fast and by 2007 it was at my shoulders, even a bit past that. Then again, the pixie cut I had was layered, and the longest layers were in the front. So the front came along fast, I bet the back was still a bit shorter than the rest of my hair.

Last year I had a buzz cut. I was literally almost bald (as in, clippers-without-any-guard-bald). I kept it buzzed for a while and it's taken about 7 months to get it from buzzed to the chin-length bob I have now. I trimmed the back a lot to negate the mullet-y look while it grew! I'm aiming for collarbone length by summer...July or August probably. Fingers crossed!

chicken
February 10th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I had a pixie in summer of 2001. Now I'm at 28 in - so, 9 years with two perms, some layers, a cut from over-shoulder-length to chin-length, some smaller and a bigger cut to get rid of the perm and a pregnancy with almost no growth.
But I think you can manage it much faster if you just let it grow with just some small trims to avoid the mullet and do nothing damaging to your hair.

Kirzja
February 10th, 2010, 09:31 AM
My hair took two years to get to shoulder length.

I got it cut really short in summer 2007, to get rid of the dyed parts of my hair all at once.

Now, about 2.5 years later, I am at collarbone length.

Good luck! :)

Dreams_in_Pink
February 10th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Mine wasn't pixie all over, but back of my head was half-an inch. It took me a year to get to shoulders.

Pixna
February 10th, 2010, 10:05 AM
My hair was cut to a pixie in August 2007. I immediately started letting it grow out. I trimmed the edges regularly, though, to avoid the Mullet of Doom and grow out all the layers. I am now about 2 inches above APL (between SL and APL), and all one length. I am guesstimating that I should reach APL by the end of May. And, trust me, this is the LAST pixie I will EVER get!!! :doh:

nicolezoie
February 10th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Do I count? :) See my sig...

the years:
1987 = pixie cut
1990 = armpit length
1992 = low-BSL
1994 = waist
1995 = tailbone
between 1994 and 2001 maintained between waist and tailbone.
2001 = tailbone
2002 = classic
2003 = thigh
2004 = mid-thigh
2005 = knee
2006 = upper calf
2007 = mid-calf
2008 = lower calf
2009 = upper ankle
2010 = ankle, but I just cut 4 inches off and it's back at upper ankle.

sally_neuf
February 10th, 2010, 10:14 AM
^Wow nicolezoie had to drop in your album to see that gorgeous hair!

Now, for me:
Currently: Longest layer APL. shortest: between collarbone and shoulder.
Needed time: 14 months, no trim

Bellona
February 10th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I don't know if I would quite call my cut a pixie. My hairstylist called it a short shag, I called it a "short mullet" as it was horrible looking. :p Basically, it was cut into what most people call the "mullet of doom" as they are growing out a pixie. This cut happened at the beginning of August last year.

I've cut so much off the bottom layer trying to even it up and get rid of some of the disgusting feathering. I microtrim the bottom layer on the 3rd of every month, and sometimes I take off 1/4-1/2 inch if it looks really bad. The longest layer started at about halfway between chin and shoulder, and the shortest layer was about 2-3" long (definitely pixie length/above my eyes). I also had really thick kind of short bangs that were about that length, too.

It's been a little over 6 months, and my bottom layer is at APL and my shortest layers/bangs are right at chin. It's still kind of awkward looking, but I'm hoping as the short layers get longer it looks better. I guess it really didn't take that long to get here. I am pleasantly surprised!

jeno
February 10th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I had a pixie in 2006, it was shaved at my neckline. Now I'm almost BSL. :-)

Belisarius
February 10th, 2010, 12:03 PM
In august of2007 i had it cut real short, and am now at shoulder when curly, apl when stretched. You can look in my profile for pictures.

Leena7
February 10th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I got my pixie in the beginning of April last year. Currently, my hair is below shoulder length, about 19.25 inches. I got about an inch trimmed off in December.

When I grew out a really short pixie a few years ago, I started growing it out in October of 2007, but I got frequent haircuts. Anyways, I had enough hair even with all of those trims for a chin length bob by May 2008.

squee
February 10th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I had a pixie about 6 years ago (can't remember when I really wanted it to grow out).
Right now I am at 35in (TB for me).
I had several 'trims' in the past while growing it out. :)
If it weren't for those, I might be at classic! :p

Good luck!
I remember disliking my hair during the transition stages by my face.

Little_Bird
February 10th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I'm at about 41, took 5 and a half years... :flower:

wintersun99
February 10th, 2010, 01:42 PM

curlycrown
February 10th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I didnt have a pixie but I had a small afro because im curly. It took me 2 years to get to shoulder length.

LawyerGirl
February 10th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I had a short pixie 16 months ago and now I'm almost to shoulder, with regular trims to ward off the mullet of doom.

Kris Dove
February 10th, 2010, 03:09 PM
It was a pixie in 2005, now it's just past BSL, but I've had a few scissor-happy hairdressers trimming it along the way so i reckon if it hadn't had so much cut off it might be about tailbone-ish length by now.

Masara
February 11th, 2010, 01:07 AM
This was April '06. I had been growing for a couple of months.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/masara/hair/growth/th_01-aril06.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v108/masara/hair/growth/?action=view&current=01-aril06.jpg)

I had several cuts during that year to even things out, bringing me to this in January '07 (my first LHC pic)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/masara/hair/growth/th_Copiede0620-01-07.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v108/masara/hair/growth/?action=view&current=Copiede0620-01-07.jpg)

Since then I've trimmed myself when I've felt like it. (which was frequently at first up to not at all last year) And this was January '10

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/masara/hair/growth/th_P1010361-1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v108/masara/hair/growth/?action=view&current=P1010361-1.jpg)

Madame J
February 11th, 2010, 06:39 AM
I got pixied late October of 2007, got it re-cut January of 2008, and then let it go, getting it cut to reshape every six months. In May 2009, I got my last salon trim, at about shoulder-length, and I'm now past APL. It was just about 2 years from pixie to APL, but it would have been less time if I'd just let it grow, without worrying about cleaning it up in between.

My husband made it to APL much faster from a clipper cut because I would do teensy trims to de-mullet him so he didn't have to go to a salon. If you have someone you trust to do this, and you know you're going for long hair, I would recommend this route rather than the salon.

sarahramen
February 16th, 2010, 07:14 PM
my hair is 20 inches it but ive cut off a foot and a half it took 8 years

Katurday
February 16th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I am at APL. It took me about 2 years to get a non layered chin bob, straight across. It took me a year since a chin bob to reach APL.

Grand scheme of things, it did not take long at all.

MissMandyElizab
February 16th, 2010, 07:29 PM
28 ins it took at lest two years

birthmarkie
February 16th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I had a pixie cut in September 2006. By May 2007, I was at "flip" length which is in my public hair album if you want to see. I've been here since then, growing, with just a few micro trims and one 3-inch cut to get rid of my old pixie ends...I'm around waist-length now, but I would've been there in September without the bigger cut. So about three years from pixie to waist for me. Enjoy the ride, that's what it's all about!

luluj
February 16th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I had my "down to the wood" pixie in December 2008, followed by a trim in April 2009. In fact, this coming April will make it one full year without a trim, cut or anything else!! My siggy pic is my current length.

1nuitblanche
February 16th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Well, since it was a pixie 9 years ago, it's gotten to hip, and now I'm at MBL again... (trying to decrease the number of layers and the difference between the longest and shortest). The first time it was this long, it took 4 or 5 years, but I was trimming very, very frequently for the first 3 years there.

ecologystudent
February 16th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I had a pixie (really, a really short, bad hair cut done to myself by myself) in Nov. of 08, and now it's arm pit length. Of course, I've not trimmed at all in that time, so the shortest "layers" are shoulder length. Yes, I had, and survived the supremely awkward "mullet of doom" :D

Teacherbear
February 16th, 2010, 08:15 PM
:shudder: I had one. It wasn't my intent to get one, necessarily. That's what I got when I went to a hair stylist to get a Dorothy Hamily wedge, but she didn't know who Dorothy Hamil was (and that was only a month or so after DH had won 1st place at the winter 1976 Olympics). I walked out of the salon with a shave neck and needing to buy a curling iron with a 1/4" barrel (that is 0.25 inch, folks) :scared:

I don't know how long it took to grow it out. Sfter getting home and Dad said "it could be shorter" (but only if I had a buzz) I decided my hair would never be shorter than shoulder length ever again.

I've kept that self-promise for 33+ years.

Delila
February 16th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I had my hair in a pixie cut around 1999-2000 and decided to grow out my bangs, just to see if I could do it. (I'd always had bangs, and always wore my hair above shoulder length.) I worked with a stylist for the next several years, lengthening the amount of time between trims, removing layers, etc. and eventually got my hair to something like 'all one length' at midback and have been trimming it myself ever since.

My hair's currently at about classic length.

I had originally thought that I'd try to get to fingertip, just to see if I could do it, but now I think I will just see where things lead me. (After all, for most of my life, I'd believed all the stylists who told me that I had the wrong sort of hair to grow it long, and that I should always have bangs. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: )

LittleOrca
February 17th, 2010, 01:59 AM
I had a pixie waaayyyy back in 1993/4 I would estimate. Then I decided to grow my hair out and after two years of awkward mullet-like hair I bobbed it so that my bangs and all my hair was one length. So, I imagine in 1996 is when I really started to grow it out. Now, 2010, I have tail bone length hair. It would be longer if I had not cut roughly 11 inches off of it between those years and had I worn it up and taken care of it. I also think I had a big shed sometime near 2007/8.

akka naeda
February 17th, 2010, 03:59 AM
I had my head shaved, it took a couple of years to get to shoulder, I can't really remember exactly how long. This included having a pixie with bleached bits, which I quickly discovered was impossible to maintain because my hair grew too fast.

16 years later it's now ~ 53"/ knee length, but that includes regular trims (I have no problem with removing 1-2" a time every couple of months) and one major trim of about 12" when I cut from knee back to tailbone just after I joined here to improve the hemline because I wore it down most of the time.

Nae
February 17th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Okay so beginning of January 2009 I chopped mine short, for any of you Twilight fans, I got the Alice Cullen haircut. This had to be thinned because my hair is so thick. :rolleyes:

I had a few trims here and there to decrease the "mullet of doom" time period. As of today I am at 17 inches or so and just brushing my shoulders. Shortest layers almost at chin length. I am not trimming for all of 2010 (excepting S&D's if I need it, so far no splits.)

I think we could sell t-shirts that say, "I survived the Mullet of Doom." I would buy one lol.:D

countryhopper
February 17th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Do I count? :) See my sig...

the years:
1987 = pixie cut
1990 = armpit length
1992 = low-BSL
1994 = waist
1995 = tailbone
between 1994 and 2001 maintained between waist and tailbone.
2001 = tailbone
2002 = classic
2003 = thigh
2004 = mid-thigh
2005 = knee
2006 = upper calf
2007 = mid-calf
2008 = lower calf
2009 = upper ankle
2010 = ankle, but I just cut 4 inches off and it's back at upper ankle.

WOW!!! What an accomplishment! I'd love to see pics! Do you have pics documenting your growth over the years?

Keildra
February 17th, 2010, 09:42 AM
'05-Pixie, tons of product and many a straightening jobs and whenever I could I wore my hair under a Kercheif (I really didn't like the cut)
'07-about armpit but I decided to cut back to shoulder to rid myself of horrible layers (weird that I was still wearing the kercheif)
Present day-Mid back length and today It looks awful because I was attempting a new style

litlepick
February 18th, 2010, 02:38 AM
pixie in 6-08 now 21 in (BSL)

Erin-86
February 18th, 2010, 03:07 AM
I started growing out my hair around januari 2004, in 2007 it was BSL, in 2009 around hip.

And then I took a perm :o.., so I'm back at APL...

drquartz1970
February 24th, 2010, 03:28 AM
It took me 24 months to grow from a standard guys short back and sides hair cut to APL as of this month. The longest hair strands are 35 cm or 14 inches now which conforms to the average growth rate of 1/2 inch per month.

curlywurlygurly
February 24th, 2010, 03:49 AM
I shaved my hair in June 09 . I kept it rather short (cut it frequently) for the majority of 2009, around pixie length. Since Dec 09 I've been really trying to grow it out and not cut. My longest layer just ****s shoulder length. My bangs hit just above the tip of my nose. Right now I'm sporting a messy mullet, that I tie up to make it look neat and more feminine. I'm aiming to not cut until the majority of it gets to at least a chin length or shoulder - then I'll even it out.

Felix_D
February 24th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Mullet of doom

OK, I'm growing out from a pixie right now, and I have no idea what this is but a couple of you have said this. At what point does my shaggy pixie turn into a mullet, and how should I cut to fix it!

Robbi Dehlinger
February 24th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Pixie or even buzz cuts for most of my life:(

2 years without a cut or trim, 20 inches long now:)

phistash
February 24th, 2010, 11:09 AM
The Mullet of Doom!

I had my head shaved for about 10 years. In fall 2005 I decided to grow it long. It's now APL length, but with many layers, and it would be much longer had I not lost several inches to haircuts the sole purpose of which was to avoid the Mullet of Doom. Oh well, I'm far past that stage now, nothing to do but keep growing.

funnybunny668
February 24th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I think we could sell t-shirts that say, "I survived the Mullet of Doom." I would buy one lol.:D

Ha ha!! I'm in! LOL :cheese:

Speckla
February 24th, 2010, 06:18 PM
August 2007 - pixie
Now - BSL stretched

I've cut off about 9" of damage inbetween.

naomimcc
February 24th, 2010, 08:23 PM
My hair is just past tailbone and it's taken me 13 years.

Pixna
February 25th, 2010, 06:39 AM
August 2007 - pixie
Now - BSL stretched

I've cut off about 9" of damage inbetween.

Wow, your hair must grow REALLY fast, Speckla! I was pixied in August 2007, too, and I'm not even at APL yet (getting close, but still not there). I trimmed regularly along the way to get rid of the layers as quickly as possible and avoid the Mullet of Doom -- so I have no idea how many inches overall that I trimmed off, but I doubt it was anywhere close to 9 inches. Also, I'm only 5 feet, so comparatively my hair should reach milestones fairly quickly. I'm truly in awe of how fast your hair grew (and how much faster it has grown compared to mine)!! Either you're only 3 feet tall (:laugh:) or your hair grows at least an inch per month.

PiroskaCicu
February 25th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I cut my hair into a pixie in 2005- by 2008 I had 28 inches (which was near waist for me as I am short).

But in December of 2008 I cut my hair into a pixie again. After many trims in between to even out layers and avoid the "mullet of doom" :P, it is now 2010 and my hair is nearly 18 inches- which is a little past shoulder length. I still have a small layer but it's barely noticeable (perhaps an inch shorter only).

It took me only a bit longer than a year to reach this length!

IndigoAsh
February 25th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I got a pixie '04 and it grew out to shoulder length in '05 but than I cut it, and than cut it again during '06 to maintain an A-line bob. So since '06 to '10 I've gotten my hair to top of my butt. I think growth time depends on the person but I got most of my hair length during my pregnancies. I noticed a huge difference in the two years I was pregnant in my hair length. I was taking prenatals(was pregnant for 18 out of 24 months('07 to '09') with a five month break between. I only say that cause it really made a big difference. I was taking prenatals every day for what felt like a lifetime. Maybe give that a shot(not the pregnancy, the prenatals of course). good luck!

smilinjenn71
February 25th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Been growing out a spikey pixie cut since July '08. I've had roughly 3" cut to avoid the mullet.:scared:I had hubby measure last week and I'm at 17 3/4" now....basically shoulder length.

So I'm not quite to 2 years yet. Not too bad on growth considering the inches cut.;)

smilinjenn71
February 25th, 2010, 05:36 PM
OK, I'm growing out from a pixie right now, and I have no idea what this is but a couple of you have said this. At what point does my shaggy pixie turn into a mullet, and how should I cut to fix it!
It's the point where your hair looks longer in the back than in the front; from a side view.

Business in the front; party in the back!:rockerdud:wigtongue