PDA

View Full Version : Possible HG routine‽

Anje
February 9th, 2010, 03:16 PM
A week or so ago, on a whim, I decided to add a squirt of pancake syrup to my bottle of Suave conditioner. The main logic to this was that most sugar syrup solutions seem to be moisturizing, as people have had success with honey, molasses, and maple syrup so far. I wanted to try corn syrup since it's cheap, but generic pancake syrup was the closest thing I had on hand.

A few washes in, my hair is feeling moisturized, soft, and perhaps a bit less tangly than it has been. Moreover, the shine is starting to get blinding. DH even asked me what I did to make it so shiny.

I think I'll need to mess with ratios a bit to find what's ideal, and how long I can leave the stuff at room temperature. I'll also have to pick up a bottle of corn syrup, because the Ocean Breeze + Buttery Maple scent is weird.

spidermom
February 9th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I would never have thought of that.

morguebabe
February 9th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Woo what a fun idea!

catfish
February 9th, 2010, 04:47 PM
:D Awesome :D thanks, I'm going to try this.

xoxophelia
February 9th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Ooo me too. Will any syrup do?

I like shiny objects... *gets distracted by twinkling rock*

redneckprincess
February 9th, 2010, 05:13 PM
im sure it can stay at rome tempeture for ...as long as it needs to, I NEVER even heard of putting maple syrup in the fridge...
great idea though...right in the conditioner huh?

Anje
February 9th, 2010, 05:30 PM
I seriously just squirted in a bit (maybe 1/3 inch on the side of a 2/3 full family-size bottle) of syrup and shook the stuff to mix it.

I suspect that you need to have real, full-sugar syrup to make this work, not something low-calorie because it's loaded with aspartame.

It might be OK at room temperature, but the fact is that syrup has really low water activity, and I suspect that the water activity increases when you mix it in conditioner. I don't have mold yet, though, and it's been sitting in my shower all week.

CindyLea1
February 9th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I keep my syrup in the cupboard. I buy it by the gallon and it takes months to go through it all.

I'm definately, going to give this a go.

Smokering
February 9th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Do you think this would work with just a simple sugar syrup - made by dissolving/boiling white sugar in water?

Fractalsofhair
February 9th, 2010, 06:44 PM
That's awesome! I'll have to try the corn syrup with my hair!

Flaxen
February 9th, 2010, 07:03 PM
If I recall correctly, the old, old formula of the beloved V05 SKR had corn syrup in it. I *think* :ponder: it's actually a chelating agent, too. I just remember Snowymoon commenting after one of the reformulations that corn syrup was no longer in the conditioner.

BlndeInDisguise
February 9th, 2010, 07:41 PM
So did you use real maple syrup--the stuff that you get from trees, or was it just the fake maple flavored store bought stuff?

Sounds like a neat idea!

Rhiannon7
February 9th, 2010, 07:59 PM
This is a brilliant idea! I had wondered about mixing syrup in my deep treatment instead of mollasses but this other extra idea is great! will try it also and see how my hair responds.

Thanks for sharing.