PDA

View Full Version : Oil free?

whiteisle
February 9th, 2010, 02:58 PM
The jury is still out on whether or not my hair likes oil. I've been oiling on and off for about a year (give or take) but I don't really see big improvements in my hair. When I add in a drop or so of oil my hair actually seems rougher and somewhat snarly and it doesn't matter if it's wet or dry when doing so. And when I do a heavy overnight oiling I don't see much difference after it's been washed. And the type of oil doesn't make much difference either.

So I'm starting to lean towards the idea my hair just doesn't like oil. Only, I'm afraid if I don't use oil I'll be missing out on some unseen benefit. :( What to do, what to do.....lol.

Anyone else oil-free? :)

jera
February 9th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Your hair looks awesome. It's so thick, shiny and healthy looking that I don't think it matters whether you oil it or not. Or, maybe, the oil is helping it. :)

whiteisle
February 9th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Your hair looks awesome. It's so thick, shiny and healthy looking that I don't think it matters whether you oil it or not. Or, maybe, the oil is helping it. :)

Arggghhh! Now you're just confusing the matter!! :D:p LOL

Thank you for the nice comment. :flower:

Messyhair
February 9th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I've tried oils and my hair hates them, so I don't use them. My hair likes a lack of oils much better. :o

Fractalsofhair
February 9th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Your hair is pretty short. My hair isn't as greedy with the oil currently as it used to be! Maybe try oiling the ends when your hair gets longer?

spidermom
February 9th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I really appreciate the benefits of oil now, but at your length I never even thought about it. Hair needs change as it grows.

florenonite
February 9th, 2010, 03:34 PM
If your hair doesn't like oil, don't use it. I see people raving about the benefits of conditioner here but it doesn't seem to do anything for my hair (unless I overload it, then my fine hair goes greasy). If you're not seeing any benefits to using oil, your hair probably just doesn't benefit from it, and you're not really missing out on some great secret, I don't think. There's probably something you do use that's raved about here that other folk can't get to work for them :shrug:

peronella
February 9th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I tried oil for the first time the other night and the next day my hair was just miserable. flat and lanky but with tons of flyaways. I think maybe my hair is too short for it to benefit from it yet.

your hair does look gorgeous though

-simply Venus-
February 9th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Oil is the only thing that saves my hair. D; I'm sorry yours doesn't like it! Is it at least soft and healthy without it?

And do you clarify? If I put oil on and it seems rough, I clarify then oil, and it's soft again. =]

xoxophelia
February 9th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Oil doesn't usually make a hige difference for my hair either. (out of curiosity, does your hair tangle? Mine doesn't at all) One time it did help me a lot though. My ends were feeling crunchy probably from all the blow drying and flat ironing I had been doing. They did feel better after an overnight oil/honey treatment. So maybe unless your hair feels dry, you won't benefit for awhile.

redneckprincess
February 9th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I expiremented with daily oiling, but discovered my hair does best when I oil the night (or day) before shampooing, but I might try adding a few drops to my SMT/Cassia mix

whiteisle
February 9th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Oil doesn't usually make a hige difference for my hair either. (out of curiosity, does your hair tangle? Mine doesn't at all) One time it did help me a lot though. My ends were feeling crunchy probably from all the blow drying and flat ironing I had been doing. They did feel better after an overnight oil/honey treatment. So maybe unless your hair feels dry, you won't benefit for awhile.

Yes, it does like to tangle. The only way so far that I have been able to reduce the tangles is by using cones but I've been trying to avoid them lately to see how my hair does. And my hair is very thirsty - not a lot of damage though - but thirsty. So Ive been using the oils in hopes of helping that - maybe jera was right --> the oil is helping. :)

Luckysock
February 9th, 2010, 05:59 PM
How many oils have you tried? my hair really didn't like Coconut or Jojoba.. but it seems to really like olive oil, it actually soaks in for me... not saying olive oil is the one, but I would try a large selection, if you haven't already :)

(I also agree that your hair looks amazing in your signature, so why mess with a good thing? :D)

whiteisle
February 9th, 2010, 06:06 PM
How many oils have you tried? my hair really didn't like Coconut or Jojoba.. but it seems to really like olive oil, it actually soaks in for me... not saying olive oil is the one, but I would try a large selection, if you haven't already :)

(I also agree that your hair looks amazing in your signature, so why mess with a good thing? :D)

Thank you. :) My siggy I must admit was a fluke. That was I think the second or third wash with Pantene BL shampoo and conditioner (cwc) and it was reeeaallly happy that day. It's what tempts me back into using Pantene....hmmm......

I do like olive oil the best. It seems to do better than coconut. My hair doesn't feel quite as gunky/crunchy with it.

Mae
February 10th, 2010, 11:45 AM
My problem is that my hair loves oil too much. In other words, it does not want to part with the oil I put in it! :) I end up having to do 2-3 shampoos to get my hair to look clean. I haven't tried many kinds of oil though-only EVOO, Coconut and Sweet Almond-so I may just being using the wrong kind. I'll probably do more experimentation once my hair is longer. For now, conditioner works best.