PDA

View Full Version : Frozen hair

Messyhair
February 9th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Hi all! I think I know the answer to this, but I thought I'd ask anyway... When I go outside in the winter after washing my hair, it tends to freeze - is that bad for it? I can't see how it COULDN'T be bad!

So what can I do?? When my hair was longer, I did a scalp-only wash in the mornings to freshen up my roots and prevent most of it from freezing, but that's not ideal, since some of it is still able to freeze. Washing only at night leaves me with hair that's still damp in the mornings (it takes about 5-6 hours to dry), or if I manage to wash it early enough that it dries before bedtime, it's a little too oily to make it through the entire next day looking & feeling clean.

Does anyone have any solutions or suggestions?

Francoise1606
February 9th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I can't really think of anything except using a hairdryer on cool setting. I saw someone using a fan in a video on youtube once. But I have the same problem in the winter so I'll be watching this thread for sure!

HairColoredHair
February 9th, 2010, 01:23 PM
As long as you aren't breaking it whilst it's frozen, I don't think it will harm your hair...

I did that all the time as a teen and my hair survived unscathed...

Put it up under a hat if you're worried about it, comb it out later.

Kris Dove
February 9th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I think there was another thread a while ago on this... I think the consensus was mixed, but some reckoned ice expanded hair and made it more prone to breakage. In any case it can't be comfortable and probably compromises your immune system(sorry to sound like your mother! :P)

Personally I'm naughty and use a blowfryer when it's cold (so most of the time here in sunny Scotland!) using it on cool setting with a leave in helps minimise damage a wee bit, though most others here wash their hair in the evening so it's dry by the next day.

Presumably you wash your hair every day?- perhaps cutting down washes gradually would help- with some dry shampoo I've managed to cut my wash time down from every day to every other day, (sometimes even a 3rd day at a stretch if i wear it up).

elina333
February 9th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Either you can wear a hat or some sort of hoodie. And as long as you dont bend your hair, I think it'll be ok... The biggest danger with frozen hair is that if you bend it it'll break! :( But otherwise I think you'll be fine. I usually go outside with wet hair and I just put the hood on my jacket up. Works great and wont mess up my hair either ;)

MandyBeth
February 9th, 2010, 01:43 PM
If I wash my hair at night - it tends to be dry in the morning, but it doesn't behave at all - it is all over the place and the tangles are 10x worse.

So, it gets washed in the morning and it does freeze from time to time. Don't think it's the best, but I haven't noticed more breakage now than in the summer. So I guess I'll just have really cold hair!

enfys
February 9th, 2010, 03:56 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=38593

This might be of some help.

The damage is inconclusive I think.

SurprisingWoman
February 9th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I wear my hair in a bun when it's super cold and my hair is wet and I take it down (maybe) when I get to where I am going and I am back inside.

AnitaThorn
February 9th, 2010, 11:14 PM
I get this too! This is why I wish my coat had a hood! Haha, I guess I should wear my hair up when it's wet if I go outside... Meh, but then it gets all funky! Oh well, I guess I'll have to experiment tomorrow - it's my wash day!

lilalong
February 10th, 2010, 03:57 AM
I wear a wool hat when it's cold and I stuff all my hair underneath. The hat keeps the hair warm enough to not freeze.

countryhopper
February 10th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Well, this doesn't really answer your question, but have you tried training your hair not to be washed everyday? I used to was everyday (my hair got super greasy if I didn't), but now I wash twice a week. My hair has adjusted to not producing so much oil and I can use cornstarch to mop up any excess around the root.

Plus, who wants to go out in the cold with wet hair?? Not me! Cornstarch is my new best friend!

Tap Dancer
February 10th, 2010, 05:52 AM
I've never experienced frozen hair, but it sounds awful. I'd wash at night. Oily hair sounds better than frozen hair, IMO, and you can always use a dry shampoo or powder to help with the oiliness.

bumblebums
February 10th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Braid it or bun it and wear a hat or a hood.

I grew up in a cold climate, and we didn't have a blowdryer in the house. It was so firmly ingrained in me that going outside with wet hair would mean instant death that I still cannot do it (I'm even reluctant to do it in the summer). I don't care what it does to my hair--it cools down my head, and that is reason enough not to try it.

AgnesONutter
February 10th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Well...

1. Make a cap friendly hairdo in the morning, like a low ponytail. You can probably find the time to change it once you get indoors again by which time it will not be soaking wet any longer (school, work etc.).

2. Put on a hat or cap of some sort, when it is cold enough for your hair to freeze then that is a good thing to do after all. :)

3. Put your hair inside your coat, if it is not too long. It might be a bit uncomfortable, since your back might get wet, but if you wear double layers it seldom is a problem.

4. If you insist on doing a non cap friendly hairdo, and your coat does not have a hood, the old classical scarf wrapped around the head works reasonably well if it is not absolutely freezing and if your hair is not soaking wet.

5. Try to shower the first thing you do in the morning. Usually I get up 1-2 hours before I am leaving, which means that my hair has at least some time to get the drying process started. The less water, the less chance of freezing.

Messyhair
February 10th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I wear my hair in a bun when it's super cold and my hair is wet and I take it down (maybe) when I get to where I am going and I am back inside.

I forgot to say that I generally do have my hair bunned when I go out with it wet, whether it's only the roots or the whole length. I let it down when the roots seem dry and that gives the length a chance to dry, too.

countryhopper: I've tried several times to retrain my hair to like less washing. Ugh, if only it would work! I'm only washing every second day now and have been for months, but my hair is a greaseball by the second day and hangs in strings. Very gross, but I have an infant, so I don't get a lot of time to myself and I'm on maternity leave so I don't care what I look like. :p

You gals have some great ideas! How do I avoid the dreaded hat head if I cover up my hair to go outside?

bumblebums
February 10th, 2010, 10:03 AM
How do I avoid the dreaded hat head if I cover up my hair to go outside?

A looser hat. They can still be pretty warm, especially if lined. Tight hats are not good for your scalp or your hair, anyway. Floppy knit berets, that kind of thing.

Also, hoods are great if you are wearing a hair accessory that won't fit under a hat.