PDA

View Full Version : Dispensing hair oil

kittensoupnrice
February 9th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I've been thinking about getting some glass bottles for storing hair oils in, largely because I think it is better to store in glass and glass is prettier. However, I'm having some dilemmas involving trying to decide the best dispensing method.

I've found eight options so far.
Cork/Silicone stopper (up-end bottle and use oil from stopper bottom)
Daubbing stick
roll-on ball, like for aroma therapy bottles
pump dispenser, typically dispenses approx 3 drops per pump
Spray/atomizer
Eye dropper
Flip top
Orifice reducerDoes anybody have opinions on which of these would lead to the least amount of hassle and mess? Is there an issue with "contaminating" oil when using a daubber or the roll-on ball?
Thanks!

kwaniesiam
February 9th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Eye dropper or pump dispenser is probably your best bet. Curious, why do you think glass is better?

Liss
February 9th, 2010, 09:13 AM
I use a pump dispenser and find it so much more practical than any other things I've tried.

I also use a ceramic bottle rather than glass because it keeps the oil away from the light.

kittensoupnrice
February 9th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Eye dropper or pump dispenser is probably your best bet. Curious, why do you think glass is better?

I like glass because it doesn't react with anything. It also is air-impermeable, so I think it would also prevent its contents from picking up ambient smells in the air. Most of my oils are in plastic bottles right now.

SimplyViki
February 9th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Well, I haven't had any problems with the oils I have in plastic, but I can tell you that the one oil that happens to be in a glass bottle with a dropper is so much easier to work with than the others. I don't have to be nearly as careful, just a gentle squeeze and I know exactly how much I'm getting. Much easier to be consistent.

kittensoupnrice
February 9th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Well, I haven't had any problems with the oils I have in plastic, but I can tell you that the one oil that happens to be in a glass bottle with a dropper is so much easier to work with than the others. I don't have to be nearly as careful, just a gentle squeeze and I know exactly how much I'm getting. Much easier to be consistent.
Thanks for the input, SimplyViki!
Does the outside of the bottle get oily or sticky from being opened constantly? That's the one fear I have about the eye dropper method, is the constant opening and closing of the bottle. No matter how careful I am, whenever I open a bottle of oil it seems I always manage to get oil on the outside of the bottle near the rim, which starts getting gunky after a while.