PDA

View Full Version : heat styling

SlightlySoprano
February 9th, 2010, 08:56 AM
In the event that I have to heat style (which only happens like, once or maybe twice a year, boo on me that it has to happen at all) do you have any advice for me to protect my hair? My usual routine is CO with a cone free conditioner, but should I use cones when heat styling? I'm so clueless, because I love my natural curls! But when Opera calls, you must answer, heat styling and all..

spidermom
February 9th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Be sure to use a heat protective spray. They do help.

kwaniesiam
February 9th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Use a good quality flat iron. Cheaper ones will damage your hair more and require more runs over your hair to fully straighten it. Also invest in a good heat protecting spray or straightening serum. CHI makes several great products available for this purpose. I also really like Sedu Heat Protecting Boost.

elina333
February 9th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Be sure to use a good heat protectant!

Shermie Girl
February 9th, 2010, 10:01 AM
If you must heat straighten, I would suggest using lots of cones and try to get your hair as smooth and straight as you possibly can with a blow out. If you still have to straighten, you shouldn't have to use so many passes with a flat iron.

"Heat protective" products will coat your hair with silicone, letting a flat iron pass more smoothly down the hair, preventing sticking. Don't expect it to actually keep the heat from damaging your hair, tho. If the iron is straightening your hair, it is burning it. "Protective" products or not. :)

Anje
February 9th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I just want to throw out that wigs might also be an option, if you want to be really careful. Otherwise, heat protective products should help. Also, wash hairspray out before you try to comb your hair, and consider giving it a nice deep conditioning after the whole ordeal.

kwaniesiam
February 9th, 2010, 10:30 AM
the iron is straightening your hair, it is burning it. "Protective" products or not. :)

I wanted to chime in that it is not burning it, per say, just heating up the strands and causing a break down of hydrogen bonds that alter the physical structure. Same concept of how braid waves work, just using heat to achieve it. It can be damaging if done frequently, but burning it is something different all together that can happen, but is irreversible and what happens when you let it get too hot and leave it on too long.

SlightlySoprano
February 9th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Hopefully I won't have to put a flat iron through it, I'm going to see if I can get away with a cool blow out, which will hopefully minimize the damage.

Elphie
February 9th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Use the proper products (Chi straightening serum works nicely for me), use as little heat as possible if you can get away with it, try using the blow dryer when your hair is already "damp dry" rather than soaking wet. Use a nozzle on your blow dryer to help concentrate the air and dry it with less passes.