PDA

View Full Version : Damaged ends

MissThorne
February 9th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Ever since newyears eve my ends have been tangling like crazy and its extremely dry. Ive never had this problem before. My hair was trimmed a few months ago, but I am concerned that its split ends already as a result of the party hair.
Just incase its relevant, I put tons of hairspray on the tips of my hair which was likely its downfall. Ive come so far in the last few months and am afraid to take any length away. Only if its absolutely necessary to undo the damage. :(

In your opinion, when hair ends start to tangle is it time for a slight trim? Or is there a method to calm the ends such as a deep conditioner treatment? What would you do?

Thanks for your time!

Dreams_in_Pink
February 9th, 2010, 08:07 AM
most people trim. But I, speaking of myself, don't :D i guess you don't have to, you can fix those ends temporarily till your hair grows. Unless the damage travels upwards though.
I'd quit hairspray if i was you.

Kristen_Marie
February 9th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I went camping a few months back and didn't do my hair any favors while we were out in the woods. For several days after that trip my hair was hating me and tangling like mad, especially at the ends. I didn't want to trim either so I did some intense conditioning and oil treatments for a few days and things seemed to smooth out just fine.

I'd just keep an eye on it because like Dreams in Pink said, damage can travel up the hair shaft. But I don't think you have to go out and trim right away!

There's my two cents :D

Kris Dove
February 9th, 2010, 08:38 AM
You could try to search and destroy individual splits and white dots first, then do an intensive treatment, and if that doesn't work, try a microtrim using Feye's method taking as little as possible at first, about 1/8 inch, then you could always trim more if you still feel it needs it.

Nightshade
February 9th, 2010, 08:46 AM
There's an article in my siggy on rehabilitating damaged hair you may find helpful :)

That said, I'm a huge fan of frequent microtrims (dusting), to keep tangling down, which helps prevent breakage.

Carolyn
February 9th, 2010, 08:47 AM
The first thing to do is do a good clarifying wash. Use a shampoo that's made for clarifying and wash the entire length. Some people like to add baking soda to a regular shampoo but I think that's too harsh and drying. Wash your hair with the clarifying shampoo and then use a heavy moisturing conditioner or do a nice rich SMT. The purpose of clarifying it to strip all the gunk off the hair and so moisture needs to be put back in. I'd do this before I trimmed. If you're still getting tangles after clarifying then I'd do some serious S & D work if you can see a lot of white dots and split ends.

spidermom
February 9th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Seconding Carolyn's suggestion of a clarifying wash followed by a moisturizing treatment.

elina333
February 9th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Clarify, S&D and then oil your tresses! If that still doesnt do the trick, you'd prob have to trim :(

cmnt831
February 9th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Definitely try what Carolyn and Spidermom suggested first. It may be all your hair needs.

MissThorne
February 10th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Thanks everyone!! Ill give treatments a go before trimming. *fingers crossed*

GoddesJourney
February 10th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I'm going to go with clarifying, heavily moisturizing and S&D. Usually, when my ends get crunchy and tangly, I try the S&D before trimming because sometimes that's enough. When I have few to no splits and it's tangling anyway, or if I trim the splits and they come back within a few days, it's time to do a full trim.

pinchbeck
February 10th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I normally trim and never clarify because I don't use product in my hair. I find when my hair catches when combing (with a seamless wide toothed comb, of course) I am damaging my hair further The smallest trim of at least 1/4" up to 1/2" (no more) can sometimes be the solution . Starting with a 1/4" trim is wise because if it doesn't do the trick, another 1/4" can be taken off.

MissThorne
February 16th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Update: Ive done what I can, but its just too damaged. I have to trim at least an inch. Safe to say, im quite sad about this. I should have known that growing out overly bleached hair would have a few hurdles. Its unfortunate, since the damage wasnt apparent until recently.
I will be going from BSL to around APL. :(

Thank you so much everyone. The tips did help my hairs over-all health, but I had neglected my hair for so many years that I have little options left aside from patience and regular trimming until the damage grows out. Thats life. Although, its definitely worth the wait.

spidermom
February 16th, 2010, 10:24 AM
New ends can make the loss of length a lot easier to take. I was at lower BSL in 2005, but the ends were like Velcro. I was constantly fighting with them. So one day I had had enough and went to the nearest salon and had 5 inches removed, taking me back to APL. I was sad for a day or two, then happy because I didn't have to fight with my ends any more. It's not a race; no need to grow length as fast as possible, especially when you're fighting with your hair more than enjoying it.

bumblebums
February 16th, 2010, 10:34 AM
New ends can make the loss of length a lot easier to take. I was at lower BSL in 2005, but the ends were like Velcro. I was constantly fighting with them. So one day I had had enough and went to the nearest salon and had 5 inches removed, taking me back to APL. I was sad for a day or two, then happy because I didn't have to fight with my ends any more. It's not a race; no need to grow length as fast as possible, especially when you're fighting with your hair more than enjoying it.

I agree with the "health over length" philosophy. Healthy hair grows better, too, because it isn't constantly breaking off. If you have so much damage that the hair is splitting, it cannot be repaired, so it should come off.

MissThorne
February 19th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Very true! :)

RedButterfly
February 19th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I agree with Carolyn and Spidermom's suggestions to clarify, deep condition and oil. You can also dust the ends gradually so that you won't lose as much length as a regular trim. Oiling the ends at night with jojoba or coconut oil can also help.