PDA

View Full Version : Cone-free and dyed hair

naereid
February 9th, 2010, 04:03 AM
For the past six months I've been CWC-ing with average results. Now I've been thinking about trying a cone-free and SLS-free routine. What worries me (except how expensive Lush is!) is the effect that going cone-free would have on my chemically dyed hair. Is it even recommended? Does coloured hair need cones to stay nice? Would the colour fade faster?

I'm rather new to this kind of hair care, so thanks for any advice. :) (I know dying is bad, but it's my only hair-care flaw! Well, that and wearing it loose.)

Svenja
February 9th, 2010, 04:12 AM
I have chemically coloured hair and I did not see any negative effects on my hair AT ALL. The colour certainly DOES NOT need cones to stay nice. On the contrary, I feel like my hair colour is now so much more radiant than ever before. Plus, it fades less quickly now. I use the L'Oreal Excell 10 colours and I am so happy with them - before and after my switch to cone-free and SLS-free.
I know hair is different and I can only talk for myself here, but no worries.

naereid
February 9th, 2010, 04:31 AM
I have chemically coloured hair and I did not see any negative effects on my hair AT ALL. The colour certainly DOES NOT need cones to stay nice. On the contrary, I feel like my hair colour is now so much more radiant than ever before. Plus, it fades less quickly now. I use the L'Oreal Excell 10 colours and I am so happy with them - before and after my switch to cone-free and SLS-free.
I know hair is different and I can only talk for myself here, but no worries.
Wow, sounds good! Our hair types seem similar, so maybe it'll work for me too. I had always wondered how much the shampoos for coloured hair actually helped, but I didn't want to take risks.

I just found a regular conditioner I bought last year that has a "no silicone!" sticker on it. (Back then I had no idea what silicone was or why it should warrant a sticker. :D) So for now I'll go CO with it instead of going out and spending money on Lush. :bounce:

morguebabe
February 9th, 2010, 05:32 AM
I chemical dye and I don't notice a differnce with my color on a non cone/no sls routine. It seems no matter what I do my color wont hold
In my Regular Hair album I have pictures of my dyed hair on a few different regimes.

naereid
February 9th, 2010, 06:01 AM
I chemical dye and I don't notice a differnce with my color on a non cone/no sls routine. It seems no matter what I do my color wont hold
In my Regular Hair album I have pictures of my dyed hair on a few different regimes.
I don't have enough posts to see albums, but I'll remember to check it out when the time comes. ;)

Kaijah
February 9th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Now I've been thinking about trying a cone-free and SLS-free routine. What worries me (except how expensive Lush is!)....

I can't really chime in on the colored hair bit (no experience there), but I just wanted to mention that though LUSH is 'cone free, pretty much ALL of their hair care products have some SLS in them including the conditioners (it's used to help make rinsing easier there). Even the shampoos bars, which last I checked were labelled with Sodium Coco Sulfate, but SCS is just the slightly less refined stage of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. I used them for a while last year before I really knew what to look at on labels... :doh:

Unrelated note; what artist is your avatar by? It's really pretty!

naereid
February 9th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I can't really chime in on the colored hair bit (no experience there), but I just wanted to mention that though LUSH is 'cone free, pretty much ALL of their hair care products have some SLS in them including the conditioners (it's used to help make rinsing easier there). Even the shampoos bars, which last I checked were labelled with Sodium Coco Sulfate, but SCS is just the slightly less refined stage of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. I used them for a while last year before I really knew what to look at on labels... :doh:

Unrelated note; what artist is your avatar by? It's really pretty!
Oh my, thanks for the warning. I'll definitely have to print out the list of undesirables when I go shopping! :grnbiggri

It's by Knut Ekwall and it's stunning, isn't it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Knut_Ekwall_Fisherman_and_The_Siren.jpg). :inlove:

Sabayon
February 9th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I'm cone free with chemically dyed hair and its no problem. Also there are loads of cone free SLS free conditioners and shampoos that are way cheaper than Lush. I know a number of us on the boards are big fans of V05 conditioner and I don't think cheaper conditioner exists.
Check out the cone free conditioner (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2216) list and the sulphate free list (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34009) for more.

naereid
February 9th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I'm cone free with chemically dyed hair and its no problem. Also there are loads of cone free SLS free conditioners and shampoos that are way cheaper than Lush. I know a number of us on the boards are big fans of V05 conditioner and I don't think cheaper conditioner exists.
Check out the cone free conditioner (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2216) list and the sulphate free list (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34009) for more.
Incredibly enough, I don't recognize any of the names on the sulphate free list! I live in such a tiny country. We don't get much variation. The conditioner list, though, does include some products I'm familiar with, like Garnier, L'Oreal and Pantene.

*Rose Red*
February 9th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I don´t think that chemical dyes hair needs cones. Why? You can tried it, and if you don´t like it go back to cones.
I think there are less expensive poos cone and sls-free than lush, in germany there are some cheap natural shampoos, where do you come from? Perhaps there are some alternatives to lush.

FrannyG
February 9th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I CO with cone-free conditioners and I just use Suave Naturals, or cone-free VO5, if I can find it in my neck of the woods. My colour stays just fine between colourings. I don't see either fading or a change of colour.

naereid
February 9th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I donīt think that chemical dyes hair needs cones. Why? You can tried it, and if you donīt like it go back to cones.
I think there are less expensive poos cone and sls-free than lush, in germany there are some cheap natural shampoos, where do you come from? Perhaps there are some alternatives to lush.
Well, that's true. :grnbiggri
I'm from Croatia. I did some more googling just now and found a couple of stores which sell natural products in my city. Yes! I'm quite pleased with this turn of events and can't wait to go check them out. :grnbiggri

Thanks for sharing your experiences, everyone!

naereid
February 11th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Even most of the so-called "natural" shampoos have SLS! :mad: But I managed to find one that seems okay - Pranarom for dry/coloured hair.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/anthyh/clip_image006.jpg

Ingredients: Anthemis nobilis Distillate; Aqua; Sodium cocoyl glutamate; Cocamidopropyl betaine; Decyl glucoside; Glycerin, Polyglyceryl-10-laurate, Dehydro acetic acid/Benzyl alcohol, Lactic acid; Essential oils (0,75%); Citrus nobilis peel oil expressed (Mandarin), Cananga odorata flower oil (Ylang-ylang), Melaleuca cajuputi oil (Cajeput), Pinus sylvestris twig oil (Scots pine), Pogostemon cablin oil (Patchouli), Cinnamomum zeylanicum bark oil (Cinnamon); Xanathan gum; Hydroxypropyl guar/hidroxypropil trimonium chloride; Limonene; benzyl benzoate; eugenol (naturals).

I also got a bottle of jojoba oil. I wonder how this'll work out...

morguebabe
February 11th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Let me know, I can't find anything that dosent make my color run let alone, something natural.

naereid
February 11th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Let me know, I can't find anything that dosent make my color run let alone, something natural.
Sure. Truth is, I've never had any problems with my colour fading. Maybe a little, but not anything really noticeable (from my perspective at least).

morguebabe
February 11th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Sure. Truth is, I've never had any problems with my colour fading. Maybe a little, but not anything really noticeable (from my perspective at least).

I get wicked color run off for like MONTHS.....