PDA

View Full Version : Dry end treatment?

Kristin
February 8th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I've been following lots of TLHC recommendations (stretching washes, scalp-only washes, CO, CWC, oiling, SMT, sleep braids, wearing hair up, et cetera); however, my ends are feeling kinda dry. I checked them out in the bright sunlight today and I couldn't find any splits, so I don't need at S&D or trim. I've been lightly oiling my ends with jojoba or almond oil before bed (soaks in by morning) and also before I bun. I oil heavily with coconut oil before washing.

Any suggestions for dry-end treatments? I really do not want to trim significantly unless it is absolutely necessary.

clichepithet
February 8th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Hi. :) Sounds like you've been doing some good stuff, but when's the last time you clarified? Looks like we've got fairly similar hair, and I've noticed that sometimes all I need to do is clarify.

HairColoredHair
February 8th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Definitely try a clarify before a trim. Sometimes too much a good thing mimics too little!

Too much oil on my ends makes them 'dry' and crunchy!

LadyVictoria
February 8th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I agree with the above posters. Definitely clarify and see if that helps :-D

talecon
February 8th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I've never done a clarify wash, can someone fill me in on this pls?

Prism
February 8th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I've never done a clarify wash, can someone fill me in on this pls?

There are clarifying shampoos (I like Joico's Chelating shampoo). Some opt instead for their own mixture of baking soda, shampoo and other stuff. My experiences with baking soda always left my hair extremely dry, so I am not fond of that, but you might be able to find the right mix that would work if you want to make your own.

ravenreed
February 8th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I mix a bit of baking soda with a diluted sls shampoo for clarifying. It works well.

I love the mix I made with my favorite conditioner and my favorite oils. I think I used castor and coconut oils. I then diluted it with distilled water. I live in a desert and what my ends really, really want is to be wet. So a bit of that when ever the ends feel dry has been working nicely and has the added bonus that the ends don't end up looking oily. I have a problem with that.

ambism
February 8th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Hmm, besides clarifying, Olive Cholesterol (it's a deep conditioning treatment)-- works wonderfully on dry ends! I purchased mine in the African American Hair Aisle at my local CVS recently. So far no complaints and my ends don't feel "crispy" anymore.

elina333
February 9th, 2010, 06:17 AM
You seem to be doing everything right! So, as everybody before me mentioned, try a clarifying wash :)