PDA

View Full Version : Growing damaged curls

abritta3
February 8th, 2010, 03:22 PM
So I have been trying (with some success) to grow out my curls. When I was a junior in high school, I started dying waist length curls and eventually noticed some serious damaged and split ends. The damage was so bad I got my waist length curls cut to a little less than BSL.
I didn't know why my hair was damaged. I had never been taught the dying/shampooing/brushing wet hair/etc were bad for my curls so I continued to do the same things.
Well then my BSL curls got cut to APL and APL to shoulder length.
A year ago I read the curly girl book and now everything makes sense! I am finally aware of how to care for my precious curls and my curls are APL.
My hair is still damaged though...I mean I colored/straightened for years so I only have about 2inches of virgin hair. (The last time I dyed was in June with chemical dye). I dyed my hair with henna in Dec.
ANYWAY...I want to know how the rest of you curlies deal with growing out damaged hair? I am trying to microtrim in the process but I HATE sacrificing my length. I chopped 3inches off my hair in September09 and did a microtrim last week.
I have heard some say that you HAVE to cut off your damaged hair but...my hair is already damaged and will eventually split.
If I cut off ALL my damaged hair then I would have to shave my head which is OUT of the question.
I asked Nightshade and she told me that it wouldn't matter if I trimmed 1" or 1/4" the hair is still damaged and will still split...
So should I just baby my ends while my hair is growing?
I want to grow to BSL then possibly maintain that length but I do not want to maintain APL.
I don't want to trim every month...I hate trimming even though I know it's very necessary for my poor curls.
Any suggestions?!

QueenMadge
February 8th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I am growing out henndigoed curly hair with damaged ends of about 4 inches now. About 6 inches has the Henna-indigo dye on it. I used the henna-indigo to get past a point of growth that I could not seem to do without that strengthening treatment, however it has left me two toned because I no longer want to dye the silvers. What I have found very helpful was a tip suggested to me by a member here. I put conditioner (a moisturizing one for my hair) on the ends and part way up the length while my hair is dry. I put a shower cap over that and leave it on for at least an hour and sometimes for overnight. It has made my ends so much nicer. I no longer have crunchy ends. I do an occasional trim (probably every month and a half) of about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. This cleans up the splits and gets rid of the velcro like tangling I get that just causes more splits on fragile ends. I have about 4 or so inches to grow to get rid of the worst damaged ends so about 8 months or so. Then I'll just have a bit of two toned color left. I am otherwise very careful with my hair. I do not rub it dry with a towel. I use a t-shirt or a micro fiber towel to soak up water after a shower. I used dove moisturizing conditioner as a leave in about a large heaping tablespoon that I finger comb through the ends. I sleep on a satin pillow case so I am not tearing/tangling my hair while I sleep. It is now long enough that I can braid it to sleep and I do that sometimes too to prevent tangling.
I hope this helps.

curlylocks85
February 8th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I too am gorwing out dmaged curls. I used heat tools for 13 years.

In September '09, I cut 4" off. This really did help, Yes, I lost length, but the sacrifice was well with it. I would rather have shorter healthier hair than long damaged hair.

I have been taking steps to protect my hair as it grows:

1. I no longer use shampoo.
2. I deep condition my hair once a week.
3. I get a trim of a 1/2" or less every three (3) months.
4. I let my hair air-dry with conditioner, deep
conditioner and oil in my hair.
5. I use a wide toothcomb only when my hair is sopping
wet with the ladder.
6. I wear many braids.

I know that in the end I will have to trim until all of my damage is gone and I am left with all virgin hair. I also have 2" of virgin growth since I stopped using heat tools.

I think the key is learning patience and learning to love my hair for what it is. We are on similar paths and I wish you the best with your curls.

Lamb
February 8th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I can recommend Nightshade's article on growing out damaged hair (of all types):
http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

My only advice (apart from reading this excellent article) is to be patient, and treat your hair gently without obsessing over it too much. Hair is pretty forgiving, once you stop heat-styling, overdrying, dying etc. it will respond to all the care you're giving it. :)

-simply Venus-
February 8th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Maybe rock a pixie?

Or cut your hair the same amount that it grows each month, until you finally cut all the damaged hair (that will take a long time!) And when it's finally all good hair, grow it out again?

Twil
February 9th, 2010, 04:50 AM
I simply took a big chop (taking my waist length to chin length) but I heard protein treatments, in the non-protein sensitive, will 'stick' together split ends, while it's not permanment, it should keep it from splitting up the shaft/spreading damage upward until you get to a length where you can cut off the damage.

Protective styles keep damage from spreading too, embrace the bun :)

elina333
February 9th, 2010, 05:19 AM
As Lamb said, check out the article on growing out damaged hair! It'll provide loads of useful tips!

I know how awful it is to have to cut your precious hair off, so I feel your pain! I had a crazy moment and dyed my blonde hair BLACK (of all colors) a couple of years ago. It has been a long and painful journey back to my blonde shade... And with MANY length sacrificing cuts!

But right now, my hair isok. Its not super yet, but its ok. So dont give up, keep babying your precious tresses and be active here! ;) It'll help a lot, trust me :D I've only been a member for a month and I already see results :D

Good luck and happy growing! :pegasus:

ravensinger13
February 15th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I did some pretty horrid things to my BSL length hair for years, then the final straw was having my brother give me a mohawk (shaved to the scalp on the sides) and cutting the rest to chin length and dying it a final time. Two weeks ago I got the final trim to get rid of the damaged ends. From beginning to end of "recovering" my hair, it took three and a half years. Nothing worked to revive my hair but trimming and swearing off heat styling except for special events. I hope you find a solution that lets you keep your length if that's what you choose, but if not, don't lose hope, it will get past all those awkward growing out stages!