PDA

View Full Version : Drying With a Towel

yellowchariot
February 8th, 2010, 02:08 PM
This question may have been asked before, though I don't know.
I'll start off by saying this, I'm a guy, thus I've never read the back of shampoo/conditioner bottles or any other hair product instructions for that matter. Who needs to, right? Just put it on wash, rinse then your done.

After I joined LHC, I began to read up on some great info. So naturally, I began reading the product labels :o lol. I've noticed on most products the instructions say to "gently pat your hair down with a towel" to dry it. :hmm:

I have never done this before. I've always taken the towel and started rubbing it across my head from side to side and back and forth, just as I would dry off my entire body :shrug:.

Is there a difference in "patting" vs. "rubbing" with a towel?

Could it cause hair damage of any kind? Also I've never left my hair in a towel to dry before. Is there any significance in that as well?

Thank You All for your help! I've learn quite a lot during these past 7 months that I've been here :thumbsup:

2peasinapod
February 8th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I think rubbing would cause more damage than patting (from the friction). I always put a towel over my shoulders and dry my hair on top of that. I get the extra water off by patting. For me, patting is just gently squeezing one area, but keeping my hand in one place (no rubbing).

My hair isn't quite long enough to dry inside a towel, but the towel helps soak up the excess water that way.

jera
February 8th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I think rubbing wet hair could cause more damage too because hair is particularly vulnerable when it's wet. :(

My hair is tailbone length and takes a long time to dry so I gently blot it with a towel before letting it air dry. Blotting works for me and no damage. :D

FrannyG
February 8th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Do not ever rub your hair with a towel when wet. Your hair is very elastic and vulnerable while it's wet, and can stretch or break very easily. If you overstretch a hair, it is likely to be damaged once dry.

Fold your hair into a towel, turban style and leave it on for a few minutes. Then you can remove the towel, pat it where necessary and then let it air dry. Finger comb after it's dry and then use a proper comb.

"Towel drying", which is what you describe is only good for people with very short hair.

young&reckless
February 8th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I use to rub my head with a towel to dry it but I noticed a lot of damage as my hair grew longer. Mostly from detangling after words. Now I pat it dry and wrap the towel arround my lenght and ring out the extra water. It doesn't dry as fast this way but I have much less of a fight with tangles after.

AgnesONutter
February 8th, 2010, 02:45 PM
My hair would tangle as you would not believe if I were to rub it with the towel. I don't even pat it.

Once I step out of the shower, I gently squeeze my hair from the neck down a couple of times to get rid of most of the water. Then I flip it over and wrap it in a towel. Sometimes I rewrap it a second time, in a dry towel.

As for hair being too short to do a turban twist, I think it depends on what kind you do. I just hang my towel over my hair, close the ends together and wrap, and tuck in the ends at the back of my head to secure it some more. Always worked for me, at all lengths.

cmnt831
February 8th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I use a cotton t-shirt to dry my hair now because it causes less frizz in my hair. I would think that rubbing your wet hair with a towel (or any other type of cloth, for that matter) would have the potential to cause damage. I have my husband pat his hair with the towel now since he has fine brittle hair. It's too soon at this point to tell if it's helped him or not.

I also put my hair in a "turban" mostly because it's rather cold in my house at this time of year, plus, it keeps it out of the way and less potential for tangling.

Neen
February 8th, 2010, 03:25 PM
My hair is rather fragile and I've recently discovered that even what I thought was gentle squeezing with a towel, and towel turbans that tend to slip around on my head while getting ready, have caused quite a bit of damage to my hair. Now I try to leave a towel around my shoulders for as long as possible and just drip dry.

Prism
February 8th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Rubbing roughs up the cuticle, just as if you were brushing the hair backward (Nightshade has pics in an article she wrote if you want to find them).

Just putting hair up in a towel would probably be the best thing. I bought an Aquis towel (the big size) through Amazon and love it. It's amazing how much water it soaks up.

You could also squeeze your hair in sections using the towel, starting at the top, then put it back into the towel to let it soak up more. But don't rub. Don't even pat too vigorously or you'll be doing basically the same thing.

Aerith
February 8th, 2010, 03:37 PM

Could it cause hair damage of any kind? Also I've never left my hair in a towel to dry before. Is there any significance in that as well?

Yes. Rubbing the hair will cause damage to the cuticle over time especially if you aren't rubbing in the direction your hair grows. Patting the hair gently should be fine though. After washing, I normally squeeze out the excess water, pat my hair gently with the towel a few times from root to tips, and then wrap my hair in a "hair turban" for 5-10 minutes to soak up some more moisture. I've never had trouble with the hair turban regarding breakage, I do have trouble sometimes keeping it on my head with all the weight though! :p I used to rub the moisture out of my hair years ago, and since I stopped my hair has felt less brittle and has been less frizzy. :)

embee
February 8th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I used to rub my hair, and it was always tangled when it dried. Massive breaks and pull-outs when I combed. Now I wrap my hair in a towel turban and then after a while I let it down and pat the length, sopping up any drips. My hair dries faster than it used to (no conditioner) and there's not nearly the breakage and pull-outs after.

Peter
February 8th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Rubbing your wet hair with a towel is probably going to create some tangles. I wrap all my hair in a towel and leave it like that for ~10 minutes. That way I can air dry it a lot faster.

girloctopus
February 8th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Here's the best way I've tried:
1. Let it drip over the tub as best I can as I dry myself off and bundle up in a towel/bathrobe.
2. Gently, working my way down, squeeze water out OVER the tub (LOL, I've been known to make quite spectacular floor puddles).
3. Get a microfiber towel (I have a couple from the Dollar Tree) and repeat the same process. I get out quite a bit more water.
4. Leave the microfiber towel over my shoulders for a bit for any more drips.
5. Then I put in whatever leave-ins I want to use and plop in a microfiber turbie twist thing and leave for as long as possible.

I find it limits my damage and soaks up quite a bit of water! Definitely less damaging than the towel rubbing I used to do similar to what you did. I also used to WRING my hair out. shudder: Yes, just like you would a washrag. No wonder my hair hated me!

yellowchariot
February 8th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I really appreciate everyone's comments! I did not know I was damaging my hair every time I took a shower :bigtongue:

Forgive my ignorance here, but what is a "hair turban"? Is it a special kind of towel? :shrug:

Thanks!

HairColoredHair
February 8th, 2010, 05:36 PM
A hair turban can be a special towel (like the turbie twist and similar items) or simply a way of putting a towel about your head. I lay mine across the back of my hair and then gently twist my hair up in the ends. Then I can lay it over my head and let it dry as I dry myself or dress.

Prism
February 8th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Hair turban how-to: http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Turban-With-a-Towel-to-Dry-Wet-Hair

piratejenny23
February 8th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Forgive my ignorance here, but what is a "hair turban"? Is it a special kind of towel?

it's a way of wrapping a regular towel around your head!
you bend over, flipping your hair down, place the long edge of the towel over the back of your head, twist the ends of the towel together (with your hair inside), then flip the whole thing over...and in my case, probably get dizzy and fall over :D

you have probably seen girls at the pool or beach do this...

there are also "turbie twists" and other sorts of towels cut into more of a turban shape so you don't have 14 pounds of wet towel on your head!

Heavenly Locks
February 8th, 2010, 06:16 PM
When I turn off the shower I squeeze out my hair and then when I step out I grab a microfiber towel (I got it at the autoparts store!!) and I wrap my hair up in that :)

Rubbing = bad for hair ;)

looks like this - http://web.tradekorea.com/upload_file/prod/emp/200808/main/oimg_3_CA01317266.jpg

Prism
February 8th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Just don't ever use fabric softener on your microfiber towel! I was seeing people complaining in reviews that their towel quit working, when it was really user error because the fabric softener kills the wicking properties!

christine1989
February 8th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Noooo! Whatever you do don't rub. It damages the outer part of the hair shaft and causes breakage which can eventually lead to split ends.

morguebabe
February 9th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Yeah pat don't rub.
I pat, then put my hair up in a towel turban for 10 minutes.

Madame J
February 9th, 2010, 07:40 AM
I no longer rub my hair with the towel. I twist it up (gently!) and make it into a kind of turban to let it dry. My husband does something similar, so I don't consider it girly. It mostly just lets the towel absorb some water so it doesn't drip down my back -- I leave it wrapped for maybe 5 minutes and then leave it down for an hour or so to dry.

trolleypup
February 9th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Just don't ever use fabric softener on your microfiber towel! I was seeing people complaining in reviews that their towel quit working, when it was really user error because the fabric softener kills the wicking properties!
Fabric softener is just cones. Heh. Seals the moisture out of your towel too!

yellowchariot
February 9th, 2010, 04:07 PM
^ Ah I see thanks for those suggestions. My hair is long enough to "ring it out" I tried it this evening after I got home from the gym. I took a shower, and then I twisted it on both sides to let the excess water drain into the tub. Next I used the towel to place over my head, and began the "patting" method (no rubbing). I'm surprise at how much water I can get out of my hair just by ringing it out :D.
Right now it's just air drying. I might try out one of those twist turban things, if the results are much better :bigtongue:! You all know I'll have to post pics of that @my expense LOL!
Also where I've been sick, I don't like the idea of running around with a wet head :mad:.

Messyhair
February 9th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Wow, I always rub my hair with a towel. Surprisingly, I've never even thought of it being damaging... Now I have seen the error of my ways! How the heck did I miss that???

trillcat
February 9th, 2010, 05:07 PM
^ Ah I see thanks for those suggestions. My hair is long enough to "ring it out" I tried it this evening after I got home from the gym. I took a shower, and then I twisted it on both sides to let the excess water drain into the tub. Next I used the towel to place over my head, and began the "patting" method (no rubbing). I'm surprise at how much water I can get out of my hair just by ringing it out :D.
Right now it's just air drying. I might try out one of those twist turban things, if the results are much better :bigtongue:! You all know I'll have to post pics of that @my expense LOL!
Also where I've been sick, I don't like the idea of running around with a wet head :mad:.
Please don't wring out your hair!!!
You want to squish the excess water out, not twist it.

redneckprincess
February 9th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I used to (long before LHC) rub my hair dry with a towel
(after LHC) I learned to twist wrap my towel...now a year later Ive (recently) discovered towell free is the way to be If I want springy-sprongy-spirally curls
but being a guy, you may not want curls...I could be wrong though

Natalia
February 9th, 2010, 08:03 PM

Thank You All for your help! I've learn quite a lot during these past 7 months that I've been here :thumbsup:

Personally i believe that rubbing = friction = damage. As to the second part i find that when doing WO that leaving my hair in towel for a bit makes it easier to comb when damp and softer the enxt day. When i CO or the rare occasion i S&C my hair seems ot do better just gently patted/squeezed and left out of the towel. Hope that helps some :)

Prism
February 9th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Fabric softener is just cones. Heh. Seals the moisture out of your towel too!

No kidding! Wow, that makes sense. It's crazy to have a great example of that with the towels. I LOVE (love-love-love) my Aquis towel and hope it never accidentally gets wound up in the wash with the regular whites.

Prism
February 9th, 2010, 08:18 PM

Oh no. BZZZZZ the LHC mob is gonna descend on you! lol Please don't twist your hair to wring it out. That also puts lots of stress on it. So just gently squeeze a few times from root to ends, put it up in the towel for a while, do the squeeze thing again if you want, but no rubbing, twisting, stretching, brushing, etc. when it's wet.

yellowchariot
February 9th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Please don't wring out your hair!!!
You want to squish the excess water out, not twist it.

Oh no. BZZZZZ the LHC mob is gonna descend on you! lol Please don't twist your hair to wring it out. That also puts lots of stress on it. So just gently squeeze a few times from root to ends, put it up in the towel for a while, do the squeeze thing again if you want, but no rubbing, twisting, stretching, brushing, etc. when it's wet.
^ AH don't let the mob get me! :o I didn't know it could be damaging? After all, most updo's involve twisting. I thought it would be better than towel rubbing :D.

I'm glad you all called me on this one.

HairColoredHair
February 9th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I twist my hair :bigeyes: Is the mob gonna get me too?

I do it gently and don't stretch it out... I don't figure I've killed my hair...

yellowchariot
February 12th, 2010, 03:38 PM

I do it gently and don't stretch it out... I don't figure I've killed my hair...

^ Good point HairColoredHair, I'm going to give this thread a quick bump :horse:! lol

I'd like to know more.

Gvnagitlvgei
February 12th, 2010, 04:00 PM

Yes, your hair can tangle because you are roughing up the cuticle and that will lead to breakage of wet hair when combing.

rags
February 13th, 2010, 12:29 AM

I don't know (and don't like mobs! :p) but I do notice that you have M hair. I do know my babyfine hair can't take twisting at all. So maybe this is due to a difference in hair type? I don't know, just an idea........

contradiction
February 13th, 2010, 12:31 AM
All i know is that touching my hair with a towel when it's wet gives it the worst frizz and flatness ever. I've tried many different types of towels, including microfiber, and many techniques listed here. Complete Air drying is the only thing that works for me.

CrisDee
February 13th, 2010, 10:24 AM
A couple years ago I read somewhere that regular terry cloth towels can cause frizz, and that microfiber was better and more absorbant. I went to Walmart's automotive department, thinking the microfiber towels would be cheaper there, and they were - but they were also about the size of wash cloths. I instead bought their largest size of chamois and have been using that every since to dry my hair. I use it pretty much like the turbie, only there's no little loop in the back to keep it on. I suppose I could sew one on, but never got that ambitiuos :)

yellowchariot
February 13th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I don't know (and don't like mobs! :p) but I do notice that you have M hair. I do know my babyfine hair can't take twisting at all. So maybe this is due to a difference in hair type? I don't know, just an idea........

^ Oh, this is what I'm referring to, the twisting part. I have been trying this lately, after I pat down my hair. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see how my hair responds to the twisting/ringing out method.

Nae
February 13th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Hmmmm.......this thread is making me think about buying a Shamwow for my hair. I wonder if that would work???

I usually just pat enough so that I don't drip anymore, run my fingers or my super wide toothed comb through it once and then don't touch it again till it dries.

yellowchariot
March 9th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I'm back after some crazy internet issues :rant:

As promised, I said I would upload some pics of my towel twist! I must say that you ladies really know what your talking about! My hair dries much better this way.

Also, no laughing will be permitted! However I do call this look the "Caesar Augustus Gloop" 'do lol

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/caesaraugustusgloop3.jpg?t=1268196289

I should send the following pic in, to be a candidate for one of the new profile quarter coins lol!

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/caesaraugustusgloop2.jpg?t=1268196417

Juliannaissance
March 9th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Personally, I would have to say that rubbing vigorously with a towel is really damaging to the hair, it WILL cause split ends, breakage, etc. I actually pat down my hair, and I don't hold it up in a towel...I just leave it down to dry! Hope this helps :)

yellowchariot
March 10th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Personally, I would have to say that rubbing vigorously with a towel is really damaging to the hair, it WILL cause split ends, breakage, etc. I actually pat down my hair, and I don't hold it up in a towel...I just leave it down to dry! Hope this helps :)

^ Thanks for the input Juliannaissance, My hair does tend to do better in a towel, it takes around 20min to dry. Also, when I take it down, for some reason it's easier to deal with.

JamieLeigh
March 10th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I think it really depends on your length and how often you wash your hair. If you have above APL length, and you only wash it once or twice a week, then I'm sure rubbing - while in theory, doesn't sound good due to friction - isn't going to do a lot of damage. With longer hair, you have to worry more about tangles, and with more frequent shampooing your hair is more likely to break off with the added friction.

That said, I know that everyone is different and we all have different methods that we're CONVINCED work for us.

My method is to run my hand from the top of my head, flat against my hair, all the way down to wring out the excess water. I then flip my head down and wrap a towel around it, turban style (I have to triple my length into a regular size towel). I wear it like this until I am done in the shower, body is dry and I'm clothed or robed. Then I take the towel off and let it air dry the rest of the way. Or bun it if I have to leave the house immediately. In other words, I don't rub or pat - I wrap and let the towel do the soaking up for me. :)

RecklessCharlie
March 10th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I used to viciously dry my hair by rubbing it back & forth inside the towel, I can only imagine the damage I was causing, and the worst part was I knew it could cause damage but I couldn't be bothered to stop because it was faster :o

Patting dry or just letting it air dry completely after gently squeezing out the majority of the water seems like the best approach.

Peter
March 10th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I know that everyone says you shouldn't twist your hair when it's wet, but I'm not sure how much force they're talking about. When I wrap my hair in a towel, I don't exactly twist it gently... I don't think I've had any damage from it yet.

Also, when I'm squeezing out excess water (before wrapping it in a towel), I don't do it gently at all. There's no twisting at that point and I don't see how squeezing your hair is going to have any adverse effects.

Hypnotica
March 10th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I know that everyone says you shouldn't twist your hair when it's wet, but I'm not sure how much force they're talking about. When I wrap my hair in a towel, I don't exactly twist it gently... I don't think I've had any damage from it yet.

Also, when I'm squeezing out excess water (before wrapping it in a towel), I don't do it gently at all. There's no twisting at that point and I don't see how squeezing your hair is going to have any adverse effects.

I belive the are talking about twisting you hair in the same fashion you would do with a wet rag or towel - hard. That would be a bad idea to to. Twist the hair with the towel when you are doing a turbie is not the same.

spidermom
March 10th, 2010, 12:00 PM
You can also pull a t-shirt over your head, then bring it up around your head and turban your hair in that. T-shirts are softer than towels. I often use doubled-up flannel pillow cases to contain my hair until it quits dripping. I think towels are too rough to use on my hair.

By the way, I avoid twisting my hair as much as possible because I think the friction of it creates split ends and other damage. I rarely do it dry, and I'd never twist wet hair.

Juliannaissance
March 10th, 2010, 04:08 PM
^ Thanks for the input Juliannaissance, My hair does tend to do better in a towel, it takes around 20min to dry. Also, when I take it down, for some reason it's easier to deal with.
I find that works for me too, but I REALLY dislike the wet towel smell that stays on my hair right after.....so i just drip dry and deal with the wet blotches on my clothes..hahaha

ALSO....try not to pile all your hair on-top of your head when you wash, it will cause tangles! :)

prettydark
March 12th, 2010, 03:17 AM
I have been a wringer, and I am so glad I've read this! Tonight I squeezed gently.

I am going to pick up some T-shirts from the thrift store for hair drying use.
I also really like thin scratchy towels, and I sometimes wonder if linen would be a nice hair towel, like an old tablecloth. Linen has great wicking properties.

After I've towel dried it enough that the ends are no longer drippy, I leave it loose. I fingerdry it, especially at the scalp, I bring in lots of volume and air gets in and the scalp dries more quickly.

linda g
March 12th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Nice pics, yellowchariot. Very regal! :D

yellowchariot
March 12th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Nice pics, yellowchariot. Very regal! :D

^ LOL linda g, from this day forward, I shall be called The Great Cesar Augustus Gloop! hehe j/k :o

I've never thought about using a T-shirt as a substitute, great idea.

freckles
March 12th, 2010, 09:34 AM
I just tried a t-shirt instead of a towel for the first time today and I don't think I'll be going back :) my hair seemed to dry faster and because it was so much lighter it was far more comfortable to wear.

yellowchariot
March 12th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I just tried a t-shirt instead of a towel for the first time today and I don't think I'll be going back :) my hair seemed to dry faster and because it was so much lighter it was far more comfortable to wear.

Thanks for the input freckles, btw what kind of material do you all use? 100% cotton, or does it matter?

apostolic_woman
March 12th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Use a microfiber towel!:)

yellowchariot
March 12th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Use a microfiber towel!:)

Thanks apostolic_woman! The next time I'm at the store I'll check one out. All of the towels I have are just regular ones.

chopandchange
March 12th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I definitely never rub with my towel. I certainly do blot with it. "Patting" wouldn't really accomplish anything for me. Blotting works best for me. :)

Maybe you mean something different when you say "pat?" We can all understand words differently. To me, patting means gently dabbing at the hair on the surface, from one side only. Blotting means putting a layer of towel on each side of the hair and pressing/squeezing the two sides of towel together firmly so the hair is trapped in between and lots of water gets absorbed from the hair into the towel.

Am I being too technical here? LOL...

yellowchariot
March 12th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I definitely never rub with my towel. I certainly do blot with it. "Patting" wouldn't really accomplish anything for me. Blotting works best for me. :)

Maybe you mean something different when you say "pat?" We can all understand words differently. To me, patting means gently dabbing at the hair on the surface, from one side only. Blotting means putting a layer of towel on each side of the hair and pressing/squeezing the two sides of towel together firmly so the hair is trapped in between and lots of water gets absorbed from the hair into the towel.

Am I being too technical here? LOL...

Hey chopandchange, what I do is lay the towel over my head, and then literally take both my hands and just "pat" my head all over, instead of rubbing it with the town. Instead, this way, the towel stays stationary. Then I turn the towel into the "Caesar's Crown" lol :D

August 10th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Hmm.. Microfiber towel sound interesting!
Everytime I log in to LHC I find more stuff I have to get.. :(

HintOfMint
August 10th, 2010, 07:42 PM

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! I have sustained some pretty awful damage from rubbing my hair the way I would my body. It dries more quickly with the rubbing, but it roughs up the cuticle, similar to teasing. Everyone has given great advice. You may not need a microfiber towel. I have one, but an old t-shirt works just as well. No need to spend more money.:)