PDA

View Full Version : How To Stop THem Getting All Messy?

09robiha
February 8th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I love braidwaves and the idea of washing at night and then getting up and just undoing braidwaves is really rather appealoing and mean less time with the diffuser in the morning. But they always get messed up. They either come undone (even with tight elastics) or get all roughed up and frizzy

How can i get them to stay neat??

little_cherry
February 8th, 2010, 12:55 PM
When I braid wave, I do a light oiling and tie them with those little snagless elastic bands, you know, the ones that look like rubber bands?
http://www.getprice.com.au/images/uploadimg/1345/350_59325_1.jpg

I put on my sleeping cap and sleep away :)

During the night, my hair absorbs the oil. In the morning, the braids are still intact and when I take them out, they're lovely smooth waves that I finger comb out and style.

Harriet
February 8th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I always get annoyingly straight ends though, it never looks pretty when I do this :(

Dreams_in_Pink
February 8th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I always get annoyingly straight ends though, it never looks pretty when I do this :(

same here; not straight but kinky ends. My hair takes shape way too easily :(

HildeMV
February 8th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I braid as far as I can and make a roll of the ends. I used to get straight ends but It's better now.

Don't brush it, but separate it with the hands and fingercomb where necessary.

-simply Venus-
February 8th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I have curly hair so I have no clue. XD

Dementia1013
February 8th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I used to get the straight ends too, until I started rolling them at the bottom. What I do is braid until I have a good 4-5 inches left then instead of tying with an elastic I wrap the ends with a perm paper (Thanks Torrinpaige! :D) and using a pillow curler or rag curler roll up the ends all the way to half way up the braid. Then when I take them down I have the beautiful braid waves, plus curled ends. :D

Queen Olympias
February 8th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I have yet to have pleasant looking braid waves (and I am glad to hear that I am not the only one). Mine always look frizzy/tangly and my ends are oddly bent. I would really like to make this work for me, especially since I like to wear braids, but wearing my hair down afterward is really not an option. I do not know if there is some secret to it or if my hair just refuses to behave in braid-wave-form. Bun waves are the same way. I cannot seem to achieve any symmetry with them. Basically I end up looking like I just slept on my hair wrong :oops:

spidermom
February 8th, 2010, 08:51 PM
First of all, don't pull the braid sections too tight. You will get weird zig-zags instead of pretty waves. I braid all the way to the end, then wrap a wet section of ribbon around the bottom, and put a poly-band elastic over the ribbon.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/tools.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/agedbraid.jpg

Braids will, of course, get a bit messy overnight, but if you plan to take the braids out, it isn't going to matter too much. Don't comb or brush through braid waves because that makes them fluffy and frizzy. I merely separate the strands with my fingers. I use a little styling putty over the surface to smooth down fly-aways.

Queen Olympias
February 8th, 2010, 08:59 PM
First of all, don't pull the braid sections too tight. You will get weird zig-zags instead of pretty waves. I braid all the way to the end, then wrap a wet section of ribbon around the bottom, and put a poly-band elastic over the ribbon.

Yes, spidermom, zigzags are exactly what they are!! Thank you for the advice. I will be sure to try looser braids with protective ribbon at the ends next time around. Thanks :)

spidermom
February 8th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I want to stress that the ribbon enables you to put the poly-band on really tight so that the braids will stay in but you won't end up with damaged hair or a weird kink.

countryhopper
February 8th, 2010, 09:29 PM
wow! great info! I get zigzags with a kink at the end, too! I'll have to try this... I've just been putting my hair in rag curls at night. Also very nice...

little_cherry
February 8th, 2010, 09:33 PM
What a brilliant idea!

I used to get the straight ends too, until I started rolling them at the bottom. What I do is braid until I have a good 4-5 inches left then instead of tying with an elastic I wrap the ends with a perm paper (Thanks Torrinpaige! :D) and using a pillow curler or rag curler roll up the ends all the way to half way up the braid. Then when I take them down I have the beautiful braid waves, plus curled ends. :D