PDA

View Full Version : unofficial brush/comb guide (let's get one started)

beez1717
February 8th, 2010, 12:43 AM
i've been looking around the forums for a bush and comb guide that would clearly explain what the different brushes and combs are and what they are used for, and where to get them, as well as some good simple tips for how to use them. I thought I would start the thread for this just so that we could start getting a guide together. I think that getting this information would be good.

I'd also like to see some info on the pros and cons of brushing and combing. I just think that this would help more noobs like me start learning.

What do you all think about this?

Chibbylick
February 8th, 2010, 12:44 AM
I love my Denman brush.
I'm still looking for a wooden comb.
Chibby

Dreams_in_Pink
February 8th, 2010, 02:35 AM
As far as i know, brushes are no good for curlies. They break the curls apart, causing unbelievable frizz.

Plastic combs are said to bring static to the hair, making it frizzy. Natural materials, on the other hand, are pretty safe.

Plastic combs also might have sharp seams that gradually damages the cuticles. Yet another reason to go for natural materials.

Natural materials are wood, horn, and bone (there's also one called "resin" but i don't know what that is) These are reported to break more often than plastics, and are not safe to use in shower (I guess, as everyone uses plastics in shower)

I read somewhere that plastic brushes might cause dandruff on scalp. although it doesn't make sense to me, it might well be true :shrug:

There's also something called "tangle teezer" and most people love it, i don't know what exactly that is.

These are all i know. I haven't tried many combs and brushes but i'll buy a natural material comb sometime this week.

Qadupae
February 8th, 2010, 02:56 AM
From what I've read large boar brushes are good for people with straighter hair and it helps with pulling oil from the scalp spreading it throughout the hair. Regular boar brushes are pretty soft to the touch, although there are reinforced boar brushes for those who want more control rather than just spreading oil. Keep in mind, this is only from what I've read and what I've experienced from the brushes.

countryhopper
February 8th, 2010, 04:15 AM
I have 2 wooden combs. One is a normal detangler and the other is a rat tail. I still have my brush with tthe evil plasic balls at the ends, but I haven't been about to get a good replacement for it yet. So in the meantime I'm trying to be more careful when I use it.