PDA

View Full Version : Trimming only once a year?

Moondial
March 10th, 2008, 10:53 AM
What do you think - is that often enough for virgin hair? What's the longest you went between trims?

Feisty Redhead
March 10th, 2008, 10:56 AM
If you take good care of your hair and don't see many splits or anything that seems fine to me. I have gone literally YEARS (I'm talking 5 or more) without ever letting scissors near my hair and it's always been just fine. But I have always taken very good care of my hair, no chemicals and very little heat styling etc. If your hair is good without trims or with very infrequent trims that's totally fine. :)

Anje
March 10th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I don't think I could go that long, at least without some thorough S&Ding in between. But while Feisty Redhead has course hair, I have fine hair which breaks easily even though it's quite healthy. Keep an eye on your hair. It'll tell you when it needs a trim.

squiggyflop
March 10th, 2008, 11:06 AM
ive never actually gotten a proffesional trim. i used to just get a new hair cut every now and then... as you can see from my siggy my hair has layers. the layers are from this haircut in september of 2006.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/kidmol/try2sept2006.jpg
its horrible!! i asked the lady to even out my hair and this is what she thought i meant when i said it... hair all about 4 inches long!!
i didnt trim until a year later when i joined lhc.. i only trimmed it because my hair was (is still in the lowerhalf) damaged from me bleaching and dying my hair all the shades of the rainbow... i cant even remember half the colors but my hair was bright pink for the longest.
so anyway i went a year without trims with very badly damaged hair so your virgin hair should be fine...

ChloeDharma
March 10th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I agree with Feisty Redhead, if it's virgin and you are taking good care of it then i see no reason to have to trim unless you want to maintain a very neat hemline.

Some people never cut their hair ever in their lives (think Sikhs) Maybe check out the no trimming thread for examples of non-trimmers

Euphony
March 10th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Wow squiggyflop your eyes are HUGE <snork>:grin:

I keep my trimming to every 6 months, but I'm one that is anal about having full ends, with very little splits. The only heat styling I've done in the last year was blow drying straight because I missed doing it - I'll tell you after the straw I experienced with that and how freaky my hair felt in general I won't be doing that again. I also henna which nearly makes any splits disapear (wow, how do you spell that word!?!). I will say it's tough going that long without a trim for me, but my growth makes it worth it, and taking impecable care of my hair keeps me from going to insane.

young&reckless
March 10th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I haven't trimed in a year!

I finally made it! I was such a trim-a-holic. I plan on getting it cut tomorrow and proboly every six months from now on.

I going to do my first cassia treatment after this cut as well to help with the the parts that are still color damaged.

Blueneko
March 10th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I trim every 9 months. My last trim was February, so I am not due until November.

I only do it because I like to even up my hemline, and because after the benign negligence, it is fun to be "doing something" with my hair. Granted, only a 1/4 inch came off, but it felt like a treat to have it cleaned up.

I do not have any split ends, so for me, waiting long period of time is harmless.

jel
March 10th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I haven't trimmed in 2.5 years, and my hair was damaged by chemical colouring. On the plus side, I discovered henna, which strengthened the damaged bits.

Anyway, trimming is only necessary for people who want blunt ends. If you're happy with fairy tale ends, then the only maintenance needed would be S&D (search and destroy - snipping individual split ends).

Check out the no trimming thread (in my siggy).

Stagecoach
March 10th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I've gone 13 months without a trim, on virgin hair with no heat styling. I found that the last couple inches of my hair didn't do too bad, but I had to S&D often. My biggest gripe is that my ends get kinda scraggly looking and I'm crazy about needed tidy hemlines (I love fairytales on others, but not on me!) Plus, my hair seems to like trimming... i.e. it grows better if I trim ever 4 months or so. (I know I know, that's a 'no-no' on LHC... but alas, that's what my hair tells me)

kettle
March 10th, 2008, 01:17 PM
The longest I've gone between trims is 14 months. I think it depends completely on what your hair needs; only trim if you need to basically! It took me a long time to get out of the routine of monthly trimming. I was convinced I'd get billions of splits if I didn't, and felt very very conscious of how my hair looked when I tried to go longer. Going a over a year without a trim was a real learning curve for me - proved it was possible! I didn't get loads of splits, barely any, and the ones I had didn't "travel all the way up". The worst that happen was my ends got quite dry, and that just meant I treated them extra-nice. Sorted.
It's just a case of being nice to your hair, and keeping an ear out for what it needs. I think :twocents:

florenonite
March 10th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I've gone from February to December without cutting on fine hair and it looked fine. I went from either the summer I was eight or the summer I was nine to the spring I was eleven without cutting and had major fairytale ends, but not nice ones, yucky ones. I'm aiming for a year, as my hair seems fine right now. I wear it up a lot of the time, though, so it doesn't get a lot of handling.

sapphire-o
March 10th, 2008, 02:05 PM
To be honest I've never had a "trim". I've always had haircut, which means at least 3 - 4 inches taken off. My last haircut was Aug. 2004 to a bob. I've been growing since then. So it's been like 3 years and 7 months with no cuts and my hair (virgin) is smooth and healthy with no splits. It's got fairytale ends of course but I'm OK with that. So easy to tuck into updos. I'm sure if you trim yearly you can even maintain a blunt end.

Finoriel
March 10th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I used to have one cut per year until about hip-length and I always had a blunt cut. There have been no problems with this, but my hair does not tend to have split ends and I never used chemical dye or bleach.
Past hip-length I prefer to do small trims every other month, to keep the hemline in a hmm "not too fairytailed" condition. I like it better to trim small amounts more often, keep my hair healthy all the time and grow slow but constantly, than to grow fast the whole year and then loose maybe 10cm in one big cut.

chloeishere
March 10th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I've gone something like 3-4 years without trims (virgin hair)-- I grew from shoulder to hip (when I was pretty young, I reached hip at 16ish), and I mean, NO TRIMS. I didn't S & D (didn't know about it then), didn't trim off here and there, I did diddly squat to my hair-- just washed, conditioned, and kept it in a ponytail most of the time. I have one picture of my hair from that time, right before I cut it all off to shoulder length.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/lotsofhair.jpg
(I had to go back in my photobucket quite a bit to find that, so I'm not going to bother finding the cropped version).
I have trouble telling, but my ends had a little fairytaling (I think, don't remember from back then), but were mostly pretty thick, and in a natural U shape. I got a lot of compliments.

I'm not prone to split ends, though. I S & Ded regularly for a while, but it's not too necessary-- I was mostly just cutting out hairs that were bent at a 90 degree angle-- I maybe found 1-2 splits per session. And this is with ends that were colored, and then color-fixed, so I was probably much less prone then. However, in both cases I don't blow-dry, flat-iron, or heat style in any way. I've never been very good about fussing with my hair.
As of right now, I'm planning about trimming about once a year or so-- I am waiting to get to BSL before I start trimming again. The last time I cut my hair-- to get rid of some really hideous layering that was growing out-- was well before I found LHC, I think it was about May- June 2007. I'm a few inches from APL right now, so it might be more than a year, total, until I trim. I do eventually want to get rid of all my layers, and get rid of all the hair that was colored.

And yes, I'm also an old "no trims, just get hair-cuts" person. I'm trying to change that, since I think my hair will look at feel better with somewhat-regular trims, even if it is only once a year.

Starr
March 10th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I haven't trimmed my hair in almost 3 years, and I only S&D once every 3 months or so, so it's probably about time. . . maybe I'll get around to it in May, but maybe not. I'm lazy like that.:rolleyes:

jojo
March 10th, 2008, 03:43 PM
upto last December i went 2 years without cutting, my hairs all virgin now i plan to cut twice a year but only to make it look tidier.

Little_Bird
March 10th, 2008, 04:18 PM
When I first started growing my hair I waited 2 years befor I trimmed anything off. My hair did just fine. I have had another trim after one more year. I think my hair is healthy but my ends could be healthier. It's a matter of choice I guess... I want lenght as fast as possible, so I adoid trims at all costs.

zift
March 10th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Until two years ago I was growing without trims and I went trim/cut free for five years. It took me from mid-back to mid-thigh. Than my ends got too thin and tangly and I had to cut a lot to save. Now I trim every three months,it seems necessary for me if I want to keep growing but ofcourse I always am on the no-trim side hehe I love the look and the thought of abandoned hair. I think I'll leave it alone once I reach knees.

ETA: We have a member Catia who has never cut her hair and it's 85" past floor. Her hair is the true virgin one I guess.

witchhazel
March 10th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I am currently at 11 months without trimming and feel my hair is in pretty good condition. I have been S&Ding though. I think I may try and go through the summer also - though I think I will review how I feel my hair is doing on a monthly basis and trim sooner if I feel it needs it.

TammySue
March 10th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I really think it depends on your hair type and the condition of your hair. I tried it - no trims for a year - and I ended up trimming more damaged ends off than wanted. Now, I trim about every 3 months. I have fragile ends and the frequent trims help keep them from getting too scraggly (is that a word? LOL)

Teacherbear
March 10th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I think I've gone 15-18 months between trims. :)

RedButterfly
March 10th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I trim only once a year. I really do it just to neaten the ends since a lot of my lower length is damaged from hair coloring (before I understood how to only color the roots) and from when I use to brush my hair.

I think that I may trim even less when I get rid of all the damage. I think if your ends are generally healthy, you don't need to trim your ends much.

Iylivarae
March 11th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I am just about a year without trimming now and I don't have noticeable more split ends than a year ago...

I sometimes do some S&D when I am bored, so my splits are being taken care of.

I think it is possible. My hair is even chemically dyed and I don't have problems without trimming.

young&reckless
March 13th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I just trimmed for the first time in a year on tuesday. I think I went to long as my hair looked bad at the ends for the last three months. My hair is color and perm damaged so for virgin hair I do not see it being a problem.

Cichelle
March 13th, 2008, 09:16 AM
It's going on three years since I last had a trim or cut. My hair is not prone to split ends. though. Plus, I don't use heat and mostly keep it up and protected. Like others have said, I think it largely depends on your hair type and what you do to your hair.

spidermom
March 13th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I have been experimenting with going longer between trims. I used to get them every 6-8 weeks. Even at that frequent schedule, I slowly gained length. It seems that I did best getting trims every 3 months because I stretched it out to every 4 months this year and the ends got very dried out and split. I had to lose 2 inches (give/take) of length all at once since I didn't want to fight with tangles and knots all the time. Losing 1/4 to 1/2 inch every 3 months felt a lot better because I didn't notice the loss of that teeny bit of length, but my ends always looked and felt good.

Mirmy
March 13th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I am a great believe in 'listening' to your hair. I don't set a strict time that I have to get my hair trimmed. I'd much rather get it trimmed when I thinks it needs thickened up at the ends! The last time I had a trim was August and I'm thinking about another one soon.

MadPirateBippy
March 13th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I am lazy. I have not trimmed in months.

maskedrose
March 13th, 2008, 03:10 PM
My last trim was in December and I am trying to wait until June this year to do it again. Like everyone else has said - do what feels best! I think the longest I've ever gone without a trim was 8 months (in 06 I think and pre-LHC) and I think I cut off 3 inches after that because it was so dried out. My goal now is to go 6 months between while babying my ends...we'll see how that goes!

zaramamma
May 1st, 2011, 11:19 AM
I've gone several years without any trims. Last summer, I made the mistake of having a trim - it turned out to be a hair cut :mad:
I do plan on trimming my own hair. Maybe in August, that will be a year after my last "trim", maybe.

vega
June 19th, 2017, 04:05 AM
I like to trim my hair every 3 months half an inch keeps damage at bay and detangljng is a breeze

lapushka
June 19th, 2017, 05:17 AM
I went 2 years no-trimming before... And there was a time I only went to hair dressers like once every few years (teens) or once a year.

I do think virgin hair can withstand that.

I grew to classic September 2015, maintained through to November 2016 (trimming every 4 months). Cut back to hip that November. And am now growing it back out, hoping to reach TBL by the end of the year. :)

Hairkay
June 19th, 2017, 05:28 AM
I never got my hair trimmed until I was an adult and then I've had years between trims.

ghanima
June 19th, 2017, 06:10 AM
Here's the thing, last time I trimmed (beginning of march) I had a jump in terms of growth. Maybe it's all a myth that hair grow faster when trimmed, and I can't be completely sure about my growth spurt because with texture and shrinkage hair look a different length all the time. But I've read other people reported the same. For me, if it's confirmed, it's a win/win. My plan for the future is to cut every solstice and equinox. It could be more often if I was better at cutting very little length, but I'm not that good, I never seem to find the perfect inclination of the head that I had the previous time, so if I can make it to cut 1/2 inch I am happy.

triumphator!
June 19th, 2017, 07:10 AM
I have found that if you wear your hair up a great deal, cutting once a year isn't a bad lifestyle.

hayheadsbird
June 19th, 2017, 07:53 AM
Think my last trim was late 2015. Won't be trimming this year, possibly sometime 2018 if I need to.

Aredhel
June 19th, 2017, 08:52 AM
Like many others here, I've gone over 2 years without a trim before, and I grew my hair from waist to classic without even really noticing it happen. My hair was virgin hair though, and I had virtually no split ends, ever... a trim would have only been to even up my fairytale hem, which I wasn't really concerned about.

I went a little crazy trimming my ends last year to try to eradicate the bleach faster though, before realizing that I probably didn't need to trim that often so long as I looked after those damaged ends... it had also occurred to me then that if I wanted my hair to get any longer, I needed to stop trimming so frequently.:D So I haven't trimmed since the beginning of the winter, and I only have a few splits right now.

In short, I think trimming might be a little overrated (sometimes).:p

Kaorin
June 19th, 2017, 11:36 AM
I also belong to the people who trim once a year (Midsummer each year so it is time this weekend). Works just fine with my hair and I do it mainly because I want to avoid fairy tale ends. My hair already thins out a good deal along the length so I want to make my ends as blunt as possible.

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 19th, 2017, 01:06 PM
I'm actually attempting this right now. Not sure if it works for me just yet but I plan to give myself a nice trim at the beginning of July and then I'll leave the hair alone until January of next year. So far, I see breakage and tangles on the upper layer, the layer that's exposed to sun and wind etc etc. I don't know why, but I assume once it's gotten long enough that it's the same length as the rest of my hair, it will get trimmed along with the other hair. Right now I only touch the ends, so layers get ignored and I think that can be an issue if you don't trim your hair very often. I haven't really figured out what to do with the layers though so I just leave them alone. I don't want to cut them in or mess them up by attempting to trim them. So I leave them be.

yahirwaO.o
June 19th, 2017, 10:03 PM
I wanna join this since shaping my hair with several trims into a bob after having a severly short style, I just feel like I need lenght and im willing to take this challenge.

Have done it in the past nevertheless my ends got extermely stringy since I have rather fine hair.

Dark40
June 21st, 2017, 09:28 PM
I haven't trimmed in 8 months. I feel that like what Feisty Redhead says, "If you don't see any split ends then it's okay. You don't need to trim." I only trim once a year. I really take good care of my hair by doing moisturizing deep treatments, protein treatments, and keeping my hair moisturized daily.

Zindell
July 13th, 2017, 01:54 AM
I used to trim my hair about every third month. Now it's been just over a year and it looks fine! I know I should take some after pics for the half-year and years challenges on this site, but I've just been too lazy. Maybe tomorrow after washing it.

History of my no-trim...

The last couple of years I have been growing out my bangs. When they finally touched my shoulders last summer, I cut my (virgin) hair to a one even length. And then just stopped trimming! :)

Will I trim this summer? Maybe. Maybe not.

Dendra
July 13th, 2017, 08:04 AM
I didn't trim for about 2.5 years once, but I had no idea about hair care (though I thought I did), so my lengths and ends were a mess. I still have 5 inches of that damage left.

However, if you treat your hair well and you don't notice any damage, then why not? :eek:

Kikyou
July 13th, 2017, 08:39 AM
If your ends are healthy, and you don't have a strong preference for a blunt hemline, then why trim?

Dendra
July 13th, 2017, 08:56 AM
If your ends are healthy, and you don't have a strong preference for a blunt hemline, then why trim?

Good point.

samanthaa
July 13th, 2017, 09:28 AM
My hair does not grow evenly (consistently for the past two years I've noticed that my rights side grows faster them my left side) so yearly trims have become a thing for me. I trimmed last June, and I just trimmed this June. This is probably going to be my "thing" from now on. I'm trying to consistently microtrim to thicken up my ends but I just hate taking the scissors to my hair each month.

Joyful Mystery
July 13th, 2017, 11:56 AM
I'm in the No Trimming for 2017 challenge and doing quite well. December 19th will be one year since my big cut. The longest I've gone is eight months. The thing is, I DO have a strong preference for a blunt hemline. I usually have a trim every six months. I'm curious to see how my hemline looks after a year. My hair is all virgin and I don't heat style. It seems to maintain its shape really well as it grows. I haven't noticed any splits since finding a routine and products that work for me.

MoonRabbit
July 13th, 2017, 12:20 PM
A trim to me is 1/2 to 1 inch, which I haven't done in a very long time. I did a big chop back in 2015, and since then I've only been dusting every 4th month. My hair has always been easy to split and every 4 months seems to keep the damage to a minimal. But I do plan on doing an inch trim once I'm past tailbone.

Cherriezzzzz
July 13th, 2017, 12:30 PM
If you take good care of your hair and don't see many splits or anything that seems fine to me. I have gone literally YEARS (I'm talking 5 or more) without ever letting scissors near my hair and it's always been just fine. But I have always taken very good care of my hair, no chemicals and very little heat styling etc. If your hair is good without trims or with very infrequent trims that's totally fine. :)

Maybe it's thick red hair, idk, but I can do this too!

Joyful Mystery
July 13th, 2017, 12:41 PM
A trim to me is 1/2 to 1 inch, which I haven't done in a very long time. I did a big chop back in 2015, and since then I've only been dusting every 4th month. My hair has always been easy to split and every 4 months seems to keep the damage to a minimal. But I do plan on doing an inch trim once I'm past tailbone.

A trim for me also is 1/2 to 1". I've had two big chops since April 2016. Both of them out of frustration due to my skin sensitivities and trying to find what works for my hair without irritating my skin. I'm in a happy place now :) I'm in benign neglect mode and hoping to take advantage of my fast growth rate by only trimming once a year (or go back to twice a year if this for some reason doesn't work out).

irisa2005
July 13th, 2017, 04:27 PM
Personally I'm not trimming my hair until December which is my year last hair cut anniversary and I'm only gonna do it to even my hemline and keep growing the next year.
My ends are healthy so I don't see why do it now.

RottenMango
May 21st, 2019, 01:51 AM
I think it’s fine if you take great care of your hair by keeping your ends moisturized and in a protective style. I last trimmed in February and don’t want to trim again until next January/February. My typical schedule was to trim every six months.

LittleHealthy
May 21st, 2019, 03:16 AM
I think it’s fine if you take great care of your hair by keeping your ends moisturized and in a protective style. I last trimmed in February and don’t want to trim again until next January/February. My typical schedule was to trim every six months.

Even if you keep your hair out loose, you can just S & D it, which I do from time to time. I don’t intend on trimming any until I’ve reached my goals, aside from trimming individual splits :)

lapushka
May 21st, 2019, 09:11 AM
I'm trimming every January as of this year. Back to classic; and then just letting it grow the rest of the year. I can manage a length up to FTL, so that's no problem.

erebus
May 21st, 2019, 12:52 PM
That's how I do it, I've only ever seen one split end. My ends still get worn and tangle a lot though. To be honest, I should probably do it more often.

MotherofPhoenix
May 22nd, 2019, 01:34 PM
My opinion is that you shouldn't set absolutes when dealing with your hair. If your hair manages to stay extremely healthy and you know it can go a year then go the year. If you reach a year and feel that your hair can go longer, then go longer. If you get halfway through the year and realize your ends are unhealthy then its probably best to do a little trim. It's best to listen to your intution and "listen" to your hair. I don't plan cuts anymore. I don't really think about it. I'm still growing out dyed hair (about one inch left) and I only trim when I feel It's time. Right now I go about 4 months between trims. It keeps getting longer and longer. Hopefully it'll get a year between. I also micro trim to I hardly lose any length. Anyways, I hope that helps.

MusicalSpoons
May 22nd, 2019, 03:57 PM
My hair (virgin) was pretty much fine without trimming for, what was it, 21? months. The ends were thin but they weren't damaged; I only trimmed to even it up a bit and start thickening the ends. I'm currently planning to trim twice a year, for thickening the ends up (I hope) but not because the existing hairs need it - and I do need to plan trims if I'm going to do them, otherwise I forget and then not get round to it when I *do* remember. The no-trim challenges are incredibly helpful for making me actually do it, as the 5-day window is long enough to get round to it, and with people posting about the end of the challenge it helps me 'psych myself up' for it - i.e., plan and remember to do it :lol:

zmirina
May 22nd, 2019, 06:00 PM
i used to trim every couple of years when my hair was virgin, and it was fine

AmaryllisRed
May 22nd, 2019, 07:46 PM
Yeah I haven't trimmed in over two years and I really feel like it's fine.