PDA

View Full Version : impatient and curious!

nytquill
February 7th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I've been SLS and cone-free since November 09, since realizing that my scalp reacts badly (as in mad uncontrollable itch to the point that sometimes I would draw blood and still not be able to stop scratching!) to SLS.

I also have seen my hair thin dramatically in my early adolescence which I think/hope is related to this bad scalp reaction. Since going off these two products I've discovered incredibly dry stripped hair underneath which I'm now babying and moisturizing and S&Ding while I wait for new healthy hair to grow out.

Anyways I know taking care of my hair "the LHC way" is making a difference - no more itch, for one thing! And I thought I noticed decreased shedding at first although now my shed rate seems to have gone back up. But I also know that even if it does make a difference in the health/thickness of my hair, it will it will take some time before I really notice it, so of course I'm a bit impatient.

So in the name of living vicariously through others, I'm curious, those of you that have seen improvement quitting SLS/cones, or with any hair care change really, what was your experience like? What kinds of changes did you notice in your hair and how long did it take?

trolleypup
February 7th, 2010, 08:28 PM
My main change was major reduction in scalp itchies and buildup. Hair doesn't seem to respond much to different regimens.

pepperminttea
February 8th, 2010, 12:26 AM
I, like you, found a whole lot of damaged hair when I stopped using SLS and cones, that between S&D and microtrims, is slowly growing out. 'Healthy-looking hair' my foot. *cough*

My hair got slightly wavier (1B/1C to a 2A), and my scalp has been much happier. I have psoriasis on my scalp, a dry flaky skin condition initially caused by stress, and for several years my doctor had been giving me very heavy medicated shampoos to try and keep it calm, none of which did much good, some of which made it worse. Absolutely nothing worked as well as switching to SLS-free, cone-free, and sulphate-free shampoos and conditioners.

I also do shed a lot less, but that may be because I live in updos most of the time now. :)

Roseate
February 8th, 2010, 01:45 AM
The scalp thing was the big deal for me. Huge deal, actually- I was deliriously happy not to have the itch, the flakes, the scabs... my scalp had been pretty angry at me before I quit the SLS. My hair can take or leave cones, so that wasn't a big loss for me.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 8th, 2010, 02:15 AM
I agree with you to the point I could've written that post myself. SLS used to ruin my hair but my scalp more! It was sooooo itchy that blood clots formed in patches and when i scratched, i had red gunk in my nails (ewwww) I'm more than glad it's all over now!! :cheese:

And cones...they never made my hair soft and shiny and slippery like they should! they did absolutely nothing but build up on my strands >: (

Going off SLS was the best thing i learnt here. With no-cones coming the second!

ETA: I forgot to mention shedding!!! I shed more than 100 strands a day when using SLSs, now it's hardly a few strands!

Locksmith
February 8th, 2010, 03:31 AM
No more sneezing like mad in the shower or itchy flaky scalp since quitting SLS. I also shed a whole lot less since switching to shampoo bars, and discovering citric acid rinses has made a whole world of difference to my hair! :D It's strong and soft and shiny where it used to be dull and tangly. That's a win to me!

countryhopper
February 8th, 2010, 04:12 AM
I started no poo Nov 1 '09. I use baking soda and tea rinses. I've noticed since then my my hair went from 1a to 1b when dry (when it's wet it's actually super wavy! who wouuld have known?!) Also, my hair seems more "obedient" now- much easier to style and holds style for a longer time.

I've never had a problem with an itchy scalp, either before or after shampoo. i'm able to wash twice a week now; with shampoo I had to wash everyday.

Longlocks3
February 8th, 2010, 04:34 AM
I've been both cone and SLS free since June 2009. I noticed a difference almost immediately. No more attacks of super itchies, lots less dandruff and IMO my hair looked better(less dry, less tangles). SLS might have triggered my SD or at least aggravated it.

In my album "Hair" my first 'length shot' was chocked full of cones and SLS, it looks terrible! My more recent one looks SO much better! Picture proof, that for me, cones and SLS don't work.

JenniferNoel
February 8th, 2010, 04:47 AM
SLS has never been a problem for me (naturally oily scalp, skin of titanium, etc), however, once I quit cones alone, more volume, less shedding, hair looked less greasy longer, and I even noticed a positive difference in shine.
I also noticed a little more wave. :)

morguebabe
February 8th, 2010, 06:13 AM
My hair liked and hated no SLS and no cones.... it was good for a while, but then my scalp got oily, and itchy... and my hair felt weird.....
I go back and forth for months at a time....
I have pictures in my album of diff regimes...