PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on dreadlocks

Pages : [1] 2

pumori
February 7th, 2010, 07:06 PM
An interesting point was raised when I was talking to a friend the other day; she has dreadlocks, long ones, and of course I was curious as to the condition of her hair. Although she said the initial stages were very uncomfortable, she didn't worry about shedding as much anymore, because any shed hair would simply get matted in to a dread.She said her hair felt healthier and more natural. However, I've seen some pictures where it looks like dreadlocked hair gets very damaged, and pulled about it ways it shouldn't go, leaving some awkward little bald spots.
Personally I think dreads look great on people who have the right face for them; but I couldn't bring myself to do that to my hair! The allure for me is that with dreadlocks, you can put really pretty beads into your hair, something I've wanted to do since childhood :)
Anyone out there have dreads? Thoughts, everyone?

morguebabe
February 7th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I think they are really great for some people, they just aren't for me... but I love them when done RIGHT.

Accodion
February 7th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Every person with dreads that I've seen have taken really poor care of them. They're so full of dirt, dandruff, and various bits of debris that I just cringe when I see dreads. They can look very good aesthetically, until you get close. I suppose if someone took proper care of them, they'd be good.

There's also the fact that the dreads can rot and just randomly fall off. That thought just makes me sad lol.

pumori
February 7th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Ewww. Well, I imagine it would take loads of neglect to get that far. From what I've heard, when you have dreads you don't have to do things like brush your hair (of course) but you need to use a special shampoo, or at the very least make sure your hair dries thoroughly! The ones I've seen look stunning, but when the dreads get too thick and flattened and matted I think they lose some appeal. I prefer the thinner, not totally locked-in dreads- they look nice and wild, add a bit of volume, and haven't reached the completely irreversibly matted point :)

verene
February 7th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I've seen dreads I like (guy on campus with thud-worthy knee length dreads, and my husband's former boss with her short but funky beaded dreads). I've also seen some dreads that looked like rats nested on the person's head (high school classmate). I don't think I'd ever wear dreads myself, but if well cared for, I certainly can appreciate the look on some one else.

klcqtee
February 7th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I love the ones Pumori described! I think dreads are really most suitable for thick hair though. The bald spots on the scalp that some people get kind of creeps me out. If they're happy, great, but, not for me!

And I know it's an oxymoron, but I like "clean" dreads. Beads and chord and rope in them are awesome, but debris, mold, dandruff (the reason I can't have dreads :/ ) isn't good. I've seen people with great dreads, and then I've seen people with moldy ones with weird clumps of unidentifiable...somethings.

catysue
February 7th, 2010, 09:41 PM
There is a lot of misunderstanding and lack of education about dreads out there, and sadly a lot of it is among people who HAVE dreads. Dreads are not inherently dirty or unclean - a lot of people seem to think that you can't wash dreads. This is not true - properly taken care of dreads can be as clean as loose hair.

I LOVE the look of dreads - but not as much as I love loose hair, haha. Plus dreads are a pretty big commitment D:

Syaoransbear
February 7th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I like thick, multiple dreads. I don't really like it when people with thin hair get dread locks because then they have like.... 3 dreads heh. I'd never get them myself though.

Johanna
February 7th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I used to like making fake dreads on my hair. I'ts fin for a day or so and you can just gently brush them out afterwards.
I had a friend in high school that had dreadlocks. On day in class he was twisting his dreads and one of the strands just twisted off. It looked terrible. Por guy looked devestated.

pepperminttea
February 8th, 2010, 12:16 AM
I like them on other people, as long as they're well kempt, but I can't see myself ever getting them. They're very long-term, and to be honest, I'm heading out into the job market this year, and dreads don't have the best reputation for the kind of jobs I'll be looking for. That, and if they're kept clean, I'm fairly sure they're actually more maintenance than my current regime, and I'm, well, lazy. :o

adiapalic
February 8th, 2010, 12:22 AM
When I think of really well-done, goodlooking dreds, I think of Lisa Bonet from High Fidelity.

http://famousmonstersoffilmland.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/lisa-bonet.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/149/404694696_55d8620b3f.jpg

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl1/1/13839/31_2008/LisaBonet_Mark_1726422_600.preview.jpg

http://img.actressarchives.com/lisab/LisaBonet_DeGui_863692_600.jpg

Always thought her hair was just gorgeous--she definitely pulls it off extremely well

beez1717
February 8th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Ugh!!! I can't stand dreads because they end up looking super dirty and it looks (at least to me) like the person just forgot to take care of their hair until it got to this horrible state. I mean it just looks gross to me but, then again if you want dreads, then i'm not going to stop you, as it's what you want, and if someone has them, then i might cringe, but then i won't be able to picture them with anything else if that's what they have had for a very long time.

Kuchen
February 8th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Like all hair on all human heads, they can look amazing or not so hot, and they may not be to the taste of every observer, but that's not really a problem for the wearer.

I have a couple of friends with them – one has stunning, waistlength, thick locs, some of them bleached, others dyed dark brown, the other has 4 hair in really fine locks, and it looks wonderful.

Toni Morrison looks incredible with hers (click here – aweinspiring) (http://sarahmccoy.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/toni-morrison.jpg)– a real crown, and I loved the loc'd wig that Tilda Swinton had for Narnia (http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41029000/jpg/_41029302_narniachronicles300.jpg). You can do incredible sculptural updo's with them.

:flowers: It's also worth remembering before posting in this thread that several LHCers have locs.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 8th, 2010, 02:39 AM
hmm, some people really can pull off this look, but usually they're kinda "meh" in my opinion :/

Smokering
February 8th, 2010, 03:06 AM
I think they can look awesome, but I wouldn't want them myself. The idea that shed hairs stay around in the dread kind of squicks me out - I know hair is dead once it leaves the scalp, so it's no "deader" just because it's shed, but still. It seems... corpsey. Somehow. Irrationally icky. I don't like the idea of wigs made from human hair for similar reasons (no problems finding hair bunnies on the floor at home, though... but my sister's cut-off long braid that she keeps in a box under the bed is likewise squicky. There are rules to my madness.) :p

That said, I don't feel at all squicky about other people having dreads. Maybe if they were ill-kempt, like those gross Polish plait photos online, but all the dreads I've observed closely have seemed perfectly clean. I knew some twins who both had lovely long dreads, either hennaed or dyed red. To my surprise I found out that one of the twins had hers "done" professionally, but the other twin's hair just locked naturally. Their locs looked pretty much the same.

So yeah. Not for me because of weird squickiness issues and lack of thickness, but cool on other people. :)

paisley
February 8th, 2010, 03:10 AM
Hair doesn't need to be damaged when wearing dreadlocks. All the hair in my avatar has been dreadlocks... and i've still got some left so i can wear my beads.

But it varies a lot how people treat their dreads. Some people crochet heavily, bleach and do salt sprays and that's obviously not good for hair. Some even use felting needles... i admit i did that to a few dreads but i stopped when i realized it actually broke the hair.

Hygiene standard also varies. I used to wash once every week with soap, often enough to keep them clean and sprasly enough to keep mildew away. But some people advocate no washing at all. Some people use waxes and oils and some use nothing.

Anyway, i think naturally formed dreads is a very esthetic hairstyle. Like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/bleeding_sarcasm/dreadpix/321442009_6f01a98ffb.jpg

http://th06.deviantart.net/fs30/300W/i/2009/244/8/2/Dreadlocks_by_VampyDesire.jpg

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs50/300W/i/2009/313/b/6/Careful_where_You_stand_by_Basistka.jpg

Sigzephyr
February 8th, 2010, 03:27 AM
I love them. I think they look fabulous. I would get them in a heartbeat if I thought I could pull that look off.

Deimos
February 8th, 2010, 03:29 AM
My boyfriend has had dreads for about 10 years now. Most of his hair is around waistlength and the longest are at classic (he occasionally cuts some because it gets too heavy)
They are not gross at all, there is no dirt or so in them. He does not wash them often because they get so heavy when wet, but honestly you do not see it at all.
He told me that his hair is actually thin and fine, but now that he has his dreads he has a huge head of hair! No bald spots or anything.
He just grew them by stopping to comb them and washing without shampoo...but they look nice and even whereas many that grow natural dreads have very unevenly distributed hair. He thinks they are pretty low-maintenance: no styling products, hardly ever washing, no combing, no hairdressers, etc.
Personally I would not like to have dreads, but they look great on my BF :)

Othala
February 8th, 2010, 03:48 AM
For me, Locs have serious religious/spiritual meaning as I see them in the Nazarite/Shaivite/Rastararian framework. Locs, to my way of thinking are not anything to do with aesthetics, rather they are reflections of a person who has turned away from the outer world and is seeking the treasures of the inner world. I really respect people who leave their hair to Loc in accordance with spiritual traditions. Maybe I will join them one day....

countryhopper
February 8th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Ugh!!! I can't stand dreads because they end up looking super dirty and it looks (at least to me) like the person just forgot to take care of their hair until it got to this horrible state. I mean it just looks gross to me but, then again if you want dreads, then i'm not going to stop you, as it's what you want, and if someone has them, then i might cringe, but then i won't be able to picture them with anything else if that's what they have had for a very long time.

Thank you! i totally agree with you. I don't like dreads, either.

JenniferNoel
February 8th, 2010, 04:23 AM
I love them (if the person under the dreads can pull the look off), I wouldn't truly dread my hair, however I do find myself with an occasional head full of small braids which give the illusion of having dreads.
The thinner the better. I've never been a fan of super thick ones.

EvaSimone
February 8th, 2010, 04:25 AM
I like dreads. But as in all hairstyles some people can't pull them off or they don't look nice.

ilovelonghair
February 8th, 2010, 04:28 AM
There's also the fact that the dreads can rot and just randomly fall off. That thought just makes me sad lol.

LOL! I've heard of dreads with plants growing in them, I think this is all urban legend haha.
But I don't like dreads, they can look nice on someone from a distance if they are very fine (the thick ones I find ugly) but I always have a feeling that it's hard to clean them

jasper
February 8th, 2010, 04:35 AM
I love them. I think they look fabulous. I would get them in a heartbeat if I thought I could pull that look off.
This is how I feel too.

JenniferNoel
February 8th, 2010, 04:37 AM
LOL! I've heard of dreads with plants growing in them, I think this is all urban legend haha.

Possible, if the correct nutrients were "buried" in the dreads, and the seeds were inserted and properly watered and cared for.
Kinda cool idea... I just wonder how it would smell. :rolleyes:

Stacy_E
February 8th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I put dreadlocks in my husband's APL hair a year ago (I remember because we were watching the Presidential Inauguration during that time), and I can tell you about our experience with dreads, and the results of the research my husband did on them.

He bought a kit from www.dreadheadhq.com, which included various items to put the dreads in. The first step is to separate out all the hair into sections and loosely secure with a rubberband, so you have to decide how big a section of hair (i.e. 3/4" x 3/4") you will separate out for each dread. Then you spray on this "locking accelerator", then back-comb each section of hair until it gets all knotted up. You can buy this product called "Lock Peppa" that is a powder and makes the hair more abrasive and helps with the knotting up process. Then when satisfied with the dread, you secure at the scalp and the tip with a rubberband. For me working alone, this was an incredibly long process, taking 2 1/2 full days. I counted 113 dreads I put in! The website suggests throwing a "dread party" to enlist the help of your friends, but we didn't want to subject them to such labor.

Afterwards, the maintainence is quite involved, with constant rolling and such to work the dreads. You do wash the hair frequently, every day or every other day, with a special non-residue shampoo. Non-residue shampoo is practically impossible to find in a regular store, as most shampoos contain oils or fragrances of some sort. After each wash, you have to work the dreads some more.

A couple things we learned in this experience:
1. It might be better to start with shorter hair if you have type 1, 2 or even 3 hair. That way, as the hair grows, there is less hair to lock up into the dread. My husband's hair was APL when I put the dreads in, and even after 8 months several dreads on my husband's hair (he has type 3 hair) never locked up. (Of course, it could be "operator error" too!).

2. Thicker dreads lock up sooner.

3. Dreads are a heck of a lot of work to put in and maintain!

4. We were trying to figure out what physically is going on when a dread "locks up", and my husband finally decided it's actually the trapping of shed hair that is really making up most of the dreadlock, and it's thick, ropey texture.

So after having dreads for 8 months, and deciding it's just not worth it, we cut them all off at the base of each and he ended up with an 1/8" buzz cut. I really didn't think there was any way to salvage the hair once locked up into the dread, or he didn't think keeping hair was worth the effort. He loves his buzzcut now anyway.

My husband, rock climbing in his dreads last February:

http://www.pbase.com/segan/image/120394822/original.jpg

morguebabe
February 8th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I like thicker dreads if they look clean and kept.
But I don't like when it's just one big dread, I've seen that or a big matted mess like this - one. (http://www.***************.com/?p=8714)

Naluin
February 8th, 2010, 08:17 AM
A couple things we learned in this experience:
1. It might be better to start with shorter hair if you have type 1, 2 or even 3 hair. That way, as the hair grows, there is less hair to lock up into the dread. My husband's hair was APL when I put the dreads in, and even after 8 months several dreads on my husband's hair (he has type 3 hair) never locked up. (Of course, it could be "operator error" too!).

I've read that it takes a year to 18 months for hair to completely lock up, depending on curl pattern. So, you were probably doing just fine for your husband's hairtype.

How I feel about dreds is high dependent on who is wearing them, and how well-kept the hair is. I've seen a lot of people with beautiful dreads. Sometimes dreds do take one a very sculptural, artsy quality and it's really awesome. And sometimes the person wearing them looks like they've spent a year shipwrecked and hygiene fell by the wayside. :rolleyes:

I've thought about getting them myself-- I'd prefer thin ones, though.

chicken
February 8th, 2010, 08:41 AM
I think there are beautiful and not-so-beautiful dreads. Most people with dreads I have seen have not-so-beautiful dreads: The locks look like hair which was never brushed and washed... One or two big locks.
I love the litte, thin loks, and they can look very good and clean.

freckles
February 8th, 2010, 08:50 AM
They're cool :) I totally love the dreads of a guy who works at a bar I go to. He's a redhead with dreads longer than tailbone. But they're not for me.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 8th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I like thicker dreads if they look clean and kept.
But I don't like when it's just one big dread, I've seen that or a big matted mess like this - one. (http://www.***************.com/?p=8714)

that is gross. :nono:

lesbia
February 8th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I love dreadlocks, if you take care of them they are amazing. I'm expecially in love with them because if you have dreadlocks you DON'T cut your hair.

I don't have dreadlocks only because i can't stay without comb my hair...:D

embee
February 8th, 2010, 11:00 AM
The long thick ones I see in my area mostly look like an old string mop that wasn't rinsed out well and left to dry any which way. Dirty. I always wonder what is living in there, don't want to get too close: bugs. That is a gut reaction, and I try hard not to let it show.

We have a customer who has short ones, they're very neat and clean, and he looks great.

CaityBear
February 8th, 2010, 11:07 AM
When they're done right and properly taken care of, they can be nice.

I've seen some really nasty ones though so that completely turns me off of them. I would never do that to my own hair. I much prefer my hair loose and being able to do many hair styles.

But they can look great on the right person.

rhubarbarin
February 8th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I love all the dreads I've seen on people of African descent - they are usually smaller, smooth, and neat (don't look like mats, not a ton of frizz, a clean scalp). It's partially a hair-type thing because if you have kinky/curly/wavy hair, your scalp is more likely to be dry, and your hair will dread more neatly. And it's partly a cultural thing - there is more knowledge about how to create and maintain dreads in the black community since it's a fairly popular way of wearing hair for people of all ages. Around here there are many salons where you can get dreads created and cared for professionally.

I've known as many white people with dreads as black, most of them are between the ages of 15 and 25 though, and all of the dreads were 'home made'. I've seen a few okay dread heads on people with coarser, straighter hair types but in general I think they look awful and in many cases, they are also visibly dirty and smell. A lot of people I have known with dreads 'did' them (by just letting their hair mat into large chunks over time) because they didn't want to bother with their hair anymore, and obviously if that's the case the results aren't going to be appealing.

ETA: I would NEVER be interested in them for myself - with this hair type. If I had 3b+ thick hair, I would do them in a heartbeat.

teela1978
February 8th, 2010, 11:20 AM
They can be fantastic. They can be awful. It depends on who's hair it is and if they're taking care of their dreads properly.

dearladydisdain
February 8th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I love dreads. I want some but it just wouldn't go with the way I generally like to dress (and I'm about to graduate from college so I'm trying to keep myself "neutral" for the job hunt). My boyfriend is still in college for a few more years and really wants dreads, though. I'm probably going to help him do them when his hair gets a bit longer.

morguebabe
February 8th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I just went to google and typed in good dreadlock (http://www.dreadlocks-academy.com/dreadlocks-pictures.html)
This site came up, and I like the look of the first picture alot.

spidermom
February 8th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I like the look of small dreads but don't like the thick ones, especially the dreads that look like a few big matts. I used to see a guy begging on the streets in Seattle who looked like he had a built-in pillow right on the back of his head. It probably came in handy for his life-style, however.

girloctopus
February 8th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I've seen some beautiful dreads online and I've seen some not so nice ones in person. It's a gorgeous style with an interesting history, but not for me. I don't think I could deal with a doubled thickness circumference, let alone the extended drying time after washing. Too overwhelming for me and my lifestyle.

I saw a gorgeous picture somewhere of someone with hip length hennaed auburn dreads that were beautifully kept. If I wanted dreads, those are the ones I would covet for myself.

girloctopus
February 8th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I just went to google and typed in good dreadlock (http://www.dreadlocks-academy.com/dreadlocks-pictures.html)
This site came up, and I like the look of the first picture alot.

I agree! Those are stunningly beautiful. But I also know that they take years to get to that point of smoothness.

amaiaisabella
February 8th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Personally, I don't like them just because of the lack of washing aspect- I know, here on the LHC we have members who do WO and others who have alternate washing methods, but for me, just knowing there's not frequent "cleaning" going on kinda squicks me out. If I knew someone who washed, or whatever their method was, at least once a week, I'd probably feel less iffy about it.

However, I really like the ones Kuchen posted of Toni Morrison. Those look nice :) But in the end, it doesn't really matter what I think, so long as your hair doesn't come and attack me, or something! ;)

tralalalara
February 8th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I don't think straight-haired folks make for good dreads, so I could never do it. But I did temps once, it was really damaging, but came out with conditioner and combing in the shower.

I've considered doing it again, for keeps. But then I remember that I'd have to cut them off if I changed my mind.. =/

myrrhmaiden
February 8th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I really love them on some people. Back in highschool, I had some started, and I wore it for a few days. I took them out though, they just looked plain silly and wrong with my face.

halo_tightens
February 8th, 2010, 12:28 PM
They can be fantastic. They can be awful. It depends on who's hair it is and if they're taking care of their dreads properly.

Yep. This is exactly how I feel on the subject.

Just like any other style, color, or length, it can go either way.

little_cherry
February 8th, 2010, 12:47 PM
All the dreads I've seen were poorly taken care of, unfortunately. I have yet to see perfect, non smelly ones! I like them if they're done properly.

Brownie
February 8th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Dreads are awesome, but I could never do that to my mane :lol: I'd love to decorate it with bells and cute beads :D

ratgirldjh
February 8th, 2010, 12:59 PM
A friend of mine from Jamaica had very long dreads that were beautiful!

However he often wore them up in a hat on top of his head and after a while when he would take them down from the top of his head the sheer weight of them would cause them to pull hair out of his head... he eventually cut his hair very short because he had BIG bald spots from them pulling out of his head :(

But they were soooo pretty - and he was fanatical about washing his hair and even conditioning...

GoddesJourney
February 8th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I like the skinny ones the best, especially when they look clean. I always thought it looked a little weird on people who's hair isn't naturally kinky enough. It's the kinky hair that makes it stay. Hair that is to straight and smooth (in my opinion) just looks like a frayed rope in dreads. It makes it look like my braid does after working out. I'm not personally a big fan, although I've liked it on some people who are just clearly hippies so it seems to fit. The biggest thing for me is wether they are washed. As for damaging the hair, yes, especially when the hair is to straight/smooth. It has to me damaged in order to stay in dreads whereas kinky hair is already textured for it.

pumori
February 8th, 2010, 01:27 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3051/2400471451_9a650f0899.jpg

Here's a great picture, this is the kind of dreads I really like! If they get too much thicker or more matted, I think they look a bit worse. This girl has an entire flickr collection of her dreadlock journey, and she happens to have an excellent face for them, I think :)

BlackfootHair
February 8th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I used to work with a black guy who had dreaded hair down his back. His hair looked cool. He must have taken care of them because he didn't smell, and we worked around food.

There is a white girl at a restaurant I've ate at several times with dreads down to at least classic.

Honestly? The only time I've ever seen dreads I liked were on black people. When I see a person with hair that is not naturally kinky wearing dreads (like the white girl at the restaurant) it just seems odd to me. It kind of skeeves me out. I also think dreads that are darker in color look nicer. I guess because when they are lighter it shows the mattedness and damage more.

And that people of Walmart pic made me throw up in my mouth a little. Ugh.

BlackfootHair
February 8th, 2010, 01:53 PM
This lady's hair is amazing! If you watch one of her other videos, it says she has over 400 dreads! :) Very nice!

http://videolocktician.com/great-photos/curling-styling-your-dreadlocks-sisterlocks-locs-wpipe-cleaners-to-create-gorgeous-springlocks/attachment/phyllis-springlocks-2

ilovelonghair
February 8th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Possible, if the correct nutrients were "buried" in the dreads, and the seeds were inserted and properly watered and cared for.
Kinda cool idea... I just wonder how it would smell. :rolleyes:

Maybe if you'd put seeds of plants with fragrant flowers in them it would work :D, but how to sleep, you'd squash the flowers LOL

HildeMV
February 8th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I think they can look pretty cool. They don't go with the way I dress at all, and i don't think I have the right hairtype.
I don't know much about how hygienic they are, maybe they are harder to clean but possible.

jesamyn
February 8th, 2010, 04:03 PM
This lady's hair is amazing! If you watch one of her other videos, it says she has over 400 dreads! :) Very nice!

http://videolocktician.com/great-photos/curling-styling-your-dreadlocks-sisterlocks-locs-wpipe-cleaners-to-create-gorgeous-springlocks/attachment/phyllis-springlocks-2

Wow, those are gorgeous!

I'm in the 'depends on the person and the dreads' camp. I've seen far too many that didn't look properly cared for, but the ones in that picture, Toni Morrison's, and the waist+ ones on some guy that I saw in a B&N in Seattle are wonderful. They're not a style for my own hair, though.

camirra555
February 8th, 2010, 04:52 PM
There is a lot of misunderstanding and lack of education about dreads out there, and sadly a lot of it is among people who HAVE dreads. Dreads are not inherently dirty or unclean - a lot of people seem to think that you can't wash dreads. This is not true - properly taken care of dreads can be as clean as loose hair.

I completely agree. I had dreads for two years and I loved them. The only thing was it took about a year before they actually looked nice. My dreads were always clean as I did a lot of research. One mistake a lot of people make is using wax to dread their hair. Wax traps water in the hair and leads to that mildew smell and even mold sometmes. I used aloevera gel and thread and got them done by a loctician (a hair stylist who specializes in doing dread locs.) I washed my hair at least once a week and it never smelled bad. I miss them but had them when I was a university student so it was more acceptable to look somewhat unruly for a year until they fully formed.

Twil
February 8th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Depends on their formation, some people just think letting hair dread and pulling them apart in a semi-uniform size are dreadlocks. There's an art to it, and a lot of people don't research dreads before deciding to make them.

Copasetic
February 8th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I love dreads! I am so attracted to guys with dreads, and there are a lot of them on campus :D

morguebabe
February 9th, 2010, 06:21 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3051/2400471451_9a650f0899.jpg

Here's a great picture, this is the kind of dreads I really like! If they get too much thicker or more matted, I think they look a bit worse. This girl has an entire flickr collection of her dreadlock journey, and she happens to have an excellent face for them, I think :)

How do I get to her flicr album?

Elistariel
February 9th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Done right, I think they can look awesome.

I could never pull them off, well mainly because my hair is straight and if I did people would think:
a.) I'm trying to be black.
b.) I'm a tree-hugging hippy.
c.) I smoke pot.
d.) any or all of the above.

Iphinoe
February 9th, 2010, 07:31 AM
There is a girl at work who is tiny and cute, but she has terrible, TERRIBLE skin. Like Proactiv commercial skin. She's got a bit of a hippie vibe, but her hair has always been blatantly clean and glossy, and perfectly styled. Her hair made it obvious she has excellent hygiene.

Now she has dreads, and to be honest, it makes it look like her skin condition is a result of never bathing. Ew.

Madame J
February 9th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Personally, I don't like them just because of the lack of washing aspect- I know, here on the LHC we have members who do WO and others who have alternate washing methods, but for me, just knowing there's not frequent "cleaning" going on kinda squicks me out. If I knew someone who washed, or whatever their method was, at least once a week, I'd probably feel less iffy about it.

Kwanie just posted on another thread that she washes her locs at least 2-3 times a week. That's probably more often than a lot of non-locked people on this forum.

I think a lot of the problems people have with dreadlocks come from misinformation and urban legends, especially among people who try to form dreads in their own hair without having enough information to do it right. Also I really can't stand the "hippy who must smoke pot" stereotype -- both for people with dreads, and in general. My husband constantly gets approached by people who think he must have some pot or know where to get it, just because he has a slim body type, long hair, and sometimes has some stubble.

Personally, I've seen a lot of locs that look amazing, in real life, and I've known some people who either aren't doing it right, or might be in the early stages of forming locs. The fact that some people don't take care of them properly really oughtn't ruin it for everyone. It's the same prejudice that long-haired individuals face because some people with long hair don't care for it.

Drynwhyl
February 9th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Where on Earth did you dig up that information? xD

Some choose not to wash, but most do wash regulary. I don't know why is there sooo much negative bias towards dreads. In my opinion, they should suit everyone's face (not style) because it's the most natural hairdo you can have :)
I had 6 on the back of my head, which connected to three.
I cut them off because I decided to grow just normal, straight hair, but I may dread again, one day.
Pics in the album, if you want to see.

I also make dreads rather good. Pity that not much people do it, there were a lot people in my town who had them, but nobody really commited to them seriously and cut... ;\

kwaniesiam
February 9th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Every person with dreads that I've seen have taken really poor care of them. They're so full of dirt, dandruff, and various bits of debris that I just cringe when I see dreads. They can look very good aesthetically, until you get close. I suppose if someone took proper care of them, they'd be good.

Um wow...totally NOT true at all. That's like saying long hair makes you go bald because the weight pulling from your scalp makes the hair fall out and that long hair is dirty as well. Where did you read that, for curiosity sake? My hair certainly is not full of dirt or dandruff and never has been.

Kwanie just posted on another thread that she washes her locs at least 2-3 times a week. That's probably more often than a lot of non-locked people on this forum.

I think a lot of the problems people have with dreadlocks come from misinformation and urban legends, especially among people who try to form dreads in their own hair without having enough information to do it right. Also I really can't stand the "hippy who must smoke pot" stereotype -- both for people with dreads, and in general. My husband constantly gets approached by people who think he must have some pot or know where to get it, just because he has a slim body type, long hair, and sometimes has some stubble.

Personally, I've seen a lot of locs that look amazing, in real life, and I've known some people who either aren't doing it right, or might be in the early stages of forming locs. The fact that some people don't take care of them properly really oughtn't ruin it for everyone. It's the same prejudice that long-haired individuals face because some people with long hair don't care for it.

Thanks for the shout out ;) I do wash my hair often because it is thin, straight, fine and not at all the type of hair most people associate with having dreads. It's taking them longer to mature because of this but they're still coming along. I run in to the stereotypes a lot but they're just that, stereotypes. I don't smoke pot. I've actually never touched a non-prescription drug in my life. I'm not a hippy either, just happen to like the aesthetic of dreads.

There's a LOT of misinformation about dreads around the internet, sadly most of it coming from companies who try to tell products. Knottyboy and DreadHeadHQ are two of the biggest rip offs ever. Wax is awful for dreads and stops it from matting up properly. Think about it, clean hair tangles easier. Most people with dreads do wash regularly, especially in the beginning because with all of your natural oils lubricating the hair it would slip and not tangle well. I'm 100% product free, all I do is wash with Chagrin Valley shampoo bars and do a deep clean soak once a month by soaking my head in baking soda water with a bit of lemon juice and tea tree oil.

I've had my dreads for almost 4 months, they do go through a crazy wild stage in the beginning. I have a ton of different textures and loops, loose hair, flyaways and what not going on. That's just part of the process. Like growing long hair, its a process and sometimes its more frustrating than rewarding, but chances are it will be worth it in the end.

They aren't really all that damaging to your hair, no more than a standard chemical process is. They're just matted hair, and sometimes involve backcombing to start but I've had two sets in my lifetime thus far and the only reason I went as short as I did after my first set was cut off because my hair was too thin to bother keeping the length (that was a problem before I started the set fwiw)

Anyway, here's a picture of me with them from last month when they were 3 months and 1 week old. I did bleach a few and dye them blue-green but they're no worse for wear. You can see more pictures in my album.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/Dreadlocks/DSCN0005.jpg

Lorien
February 9th, 2010, 11:41 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/35/123860877_519a35aba3_o.jpg

If I looked like this with dreads I'd have them done yesterday ;)

RoseRedDead
February 9th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Kwanie, you look so happy with your locks.

Personally, they're not for me. I've seen some good ones, I've seen some bad ones. I really don't care about them enough to give them more thought, lol.

enfys
February 9th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Not for me, but some people suit them. I've never had a desire to do that to my hair, like getting a perm. There are processes I don't want to do.

One of the girls in my yoga class had awesome dreads, very even and beaded sometimes. Her hair was an ashy blonde colour and looked really good with them. They suited her dress sense too.

I wonder if I'm too practical thinking about them. I understand they can be washed and dried like loose hair, but what if a pigeon poops on you? Or you get headlice? How would they be dealt with? How close to the roots do the dreadlocks go? I'd miss being able to scrath the way I like.

LittleOrca
February 9th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I think dreadlocks are beautiful if they are taken care of and cleaned. I am not a fan of the beaver-tail though, I like the separate individual... snakes? I also have a hard time with dreadlocks that are in the beginning phase, but I try not to cringe too noticeably at the people I am with because I remember it's a process and eventually they will have lovely locks. :)

bjt
February 9th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I love hair in locks--it can be absolutely beautiful. I see quite a few people with them here where I live, and like any and all hair I see, some are clean and groomed and fabulous, and some are not. Its not that locks aren't clean, some people just have different standards of "clean"
(check out the thread in the health & beauty forum on "how often do you wash" do get a shocking sense of the difference... and I bet lots of the people in that thread who are saying things like "I only shower once a week [month, never etc] have perfectly straight or curly but not locked hair)

I grabbed some pics off the web of some randomly beautiful people in locks. no way could you say these people don't take care of their hair (they're gorgeous!):
http://www.naturalhairgrows.com/images/Dreadlocks_Style.jpg
http://www.black-women-beauty-central.com/image-files/dreadlocks-pic.jpg
http://bajan.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/dread-locks.jpg

sadly, my hair is straight and will barely hold a braid... not suited for locks. but if I had the hair for it, I'd do it in a minute!

lilish
February 9th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Um wow...totally NOT true at all. That's like saying long hair makes you go bald because the weight pulling from your scalp makes the hair fall out and that long hair is dirty as well. Where did you read that, for curiosity sake? My hair certainly is not full of dirt or dandruff and never has been.

I can't speak for her, but I just wanted to say I read that as she was describing the bad dreads she has seen because she acknowledges that the ones she has seen are not properly cared for. I didn't read that as her making a blanket statement that everyone who has dreads has the conditions she has described. Just like if all the long haired people around me had dirty, balding hair I would probably say "wow all the long-haired people where I live don't take care of their hair" not "people with long hair go bald and have really dirty hair". Granted it could have been worded better, but that's how I read it. Sorry if I spoke out of place.

I personally feel that people with dreads are like everyone else. Some put in effort and try to take care of them the best that they can, while others follow misinformation and get problems. They can look great and I have personally seen some very good dreads and some very bad ones.

amaiaisabella
February 9th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I can't speak for her, but I just wanted to say I read that as she was describing the bad dreads she has seen because she acknowledges that the ones she has seen are not properly cared for. I didn't read that as her making a blanket statement that everyone who has dreads has the conditions she has described.

I think a lot of the problems people have with dreadlocks come from misinformation and urban legends [...]

lilish makes my point. Though a thread like this might be helpful for people who have dreadlocks/know people with dreadlocks (e.g. their care techniques and habits), the rest of us can only go off what we have seen. So we're not making blanket statements (at least, I'm not, and hopefully others are not), but speaking of our own observations. Just my :twocents:.

MandyBeth
February 9th, 2010, 03:56 PM
DBF has been back to wearing locs for about 3 years now, took him about 2 years to get all his to be nice and smooth. They did have a time from the start to ~18 months that yes, they looked ratty and blech - but after about 6 months they started to even out and then they just progressed on. Since DBF knew what the end result would be, and I had seen the end result - just a lot of waiting.

He had locs when we met, then got tired of them as they'd been in for 7 years by that point at the longest, so he cut them off, then shaved his head. Which isn't a bad look for him with the 1/8" buzz cut - but he's not really curly as much as "crinkly" and much past 1/2" or so and his hair is wanting to tangle up with it's neighboring strand. Then he got tired of having to shave his head every weekend and decided he wanted locs again.

I like his locs, at least they don't bother me any, they are clean and DBF prefers them as of right now, and he doesn't gripe about my hair, so I won't complain about his. His sections are not quite 1" by 1" - and they take quite a bit of work to get them in and started, then the upkeep is not easy, but for his hair, I don't think it's that much more work than growing it out would be.

As for washing - I'll admit to having actually never watched the full wash of his hair, buzzed, growing out or loc'ed. He was using castile soap diluted to wash before, but I'm not fully sure on why - other than it didn't bother his scalp and damaging his hair is near impossible I think. He's now into CV shampoo bars and the baking soda/lemon juice/water soaks. His hair doesn't smell any worse than mine ever does, so I figure it's clean.

The molding/falling off isn't so much with the locs - it's with neglect in general. I've had a dog who was a foster who came in with hair that had matted, gotten soaked, never got dried properly, stayed wet, eventually a fungal infection took over and his matting started to break off - but his skin was also in hideous condition and highly damaged. It's not because he had mats - it's because his hair and skin (along with himself in general) were thrown out in the wet weather and neglected. It'll cause a problem if the hair is matted or not. Even benign neglect some of us on here do is far, far more care than he was getting, so even minimal basic care for simple comfort factors is going to keep the hair reasonably sound. If you have actual sections of hair (vs one big glob) and they dry properly - which does take a longer time than loose obviously - I don't think it's any greater risk to mold/mildew than me putting up a damp bun that does stay damp to nearly the same level for as long as I leave it in.

But he's a 3c I'm guessing if he'd bother to grow his hair out loose. Plus, he's got very coarse, thick hair. So it agrees and likes the locs also. My 1c/2a, fine hair thinks it's a not good idea on my head - it agrees to knots and such, but an actual mat? No thank you.

florenonite
February 9th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I love dreads. I even once knew someone who had dreads because she couldn't be bothered brushing her hair anymore and they looked great. There were all kinds of beads in them :D She did wash them, AFAIK, though not as often as she washed her hair pre-dreads because they took longer to dry.

That said, I'd never do dreads myself because I'd probably want "normal" hair again within a few months, and then I'd have to cut it all off, &c., &c.

aililiú
February 9th, 2010, 05:59 PM
dreads! :inlove:

i had my hair locked for three years, &even though it was the right decision to cut them off-- i miss them!
they were lovely &clean, i washed them once a week with an excellent 'poo bar that had antibacterial herbs in it,
&always let them dry thoroughly (the mold happens when people wash them TOO MUCH-- and dont let them dry out in between washes.)
everyone thought that they were pretty, even people that said they didnt normally like dreads.
pretty much every time i stepped out of my house i would get a compliment-- i remember one girl "those are the most beautiful dreads ive ever seen! can i actually touch them?!" (that was a little weird. hah.)
they were actually the most high maintenance hair ive ever had, and ive had some interesting cuts. but i didnt want crazy nappy balls, i did want them to be pretty. i did "crochet" them regularly, which i know breaks the hair, but i was intended on cutting my hair off anyways, when the time came to get rid of them, so i was okay with that.
thing is though, for most of the time i had them, i was dying my hair black, which looks fairly natural on me as i have black brows. but im naturally a light browny/copper which ive returned to at this point-- &if i ever went back to dreads i dont think i could keep this colour. light brown dreads i find can look messier/dirtier-- dark, or white bleached (i know, heavens, the damage) i think looks the best. id probably do a henndigo thing.
for some reason, ive always imagined myself on my wedding day with dreads :D
but the initial process is dreadful.
i got mine when i was living in the middle of a forest in england,
so then when i came home they were already looking lovely.

but i must note that they never smelled bad, or looked dirty, and when i cut them off, they were totally clean inside-- just packed hair and nothing else. which i guess could be gross on its own for some people... but it doesnt bother me. :)

catysue
February 9th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Just popping in to share some pictures of my favorite dreadhead - Jason Castro! :D

http://i45.tinypic.com/zoe1iq.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/2ntipaq.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/2r6juih.jpg

Isn't he just gorgeous!? Swooooon!

Laurenji
February 9th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I think that dreadlocks, when clean and well-taken-care-of, look super-cool. I once saw a girl with classic-length dreadlocks that just made my jaw drop. I've always wanted to try them myself, but my hair is super-straight, plus I'm about to graduate from college and need a job, plus my fiancee is a very clean cut, traditional sort of guy, and I don't think he'd like it if I dreaded my hair.

Eniratak
February 9th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I love dreads, if they're clean.
I've always said that if I had the face for dreads, I'd go for it. Unfortunately, I do not.
However, one of my friends at school has four small dreads that look lovely in her hair. Her mom won't let her dread her entire head, so for right now it's only a small tad under the rest of her hair. And even though her hair is fairly straight, I think dreads work for her.

Also, there was a woman on Wife Swap whose dreads were to die for. They were great.

Katze
February 10th, 2010, 06:46 AM
I like dreads, but I prefer tidy ones, and I prefer them on the type of hairtype that works better for them (i.e. not my hair!).

I used to have an African American roommate who had the most gorgeous Angela Davis dreads. She spent a morning once a month caring for them and watching her and learning what she was doing taught me a LOT about natural hair care (she turned me on to oils, shea butter, vinegar, and no 'poo - though she did shampoo and do vinegar rinses regularly).

We have two friends here with dreads - one a guy with very thick very curly hair whose hair pretty much dreads naturally, though he is white (Jewish). His dreads are pretty even, though thicker than the friend mentioned above, kind of like the pics of Jason Castro. He is a musician and they suit him.

Another friend has hair like mine (fine, straighter), though a bit blonder and thinner, and her dreads seem to be artifically helped along (I have not asked yet) and are bleached and matted - but actually they look good on her. They are not the kind of dreads I tend to like, but she is a very tiny woman with a huge personality, and they actually do work.

If I could have dreads for a month or so I would, but I think they would bother me after a while, never mind that they don't work so well with my type of hair. My brother, who had similar hair as mine before he went bald, had dreads for a brief time, and had to shave his head to get rid of them...

But if I had really curly hair, I would totally have thin tidy ones!

Ludde
April 5th, 2010, 10:59 AM
A little strange to read so many nasty thoughts about a hairdo. Am I, due to having the wrong skin colour and faith of religion, required to brush my hair as it otherwise will dread naturally?

I have seldom gotten any bad remarks about my dreads, definitely not so to my face. I can certify that my hair is clean, free of dandruffs, dirt, chemicals, wax, bugs etc and that it smells very nice.

FrannyG
April 5th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Ludde, there are a lot of people who have misinformation. For those of us who know people in real life with dreads, I think we may have a different opinion. Take it with a grain of salt. :blossom:

catysue
A little strange to read so many nasty thoughts about a hairdo. Am I, due to having the wrong skin colour and faith of religion, required to brush my hair as it otherwise will dread naturally?

I have seldom gotten any bad remarks about my dreads, definitely not so to my face. I can certify that my hair is clean, free of dandruffs, dirt, chemicals, wax, bugs etc and that it smells very nice.

I feel like most of the comments on this thread are positive towards dreads, so I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about.

_bp_rose
I know a lot ppl who have dreads probably take great care of it. My brother wears dreads and I KNOW it's clean, and for the style probably looks good. But personally I HATE the style, it looks yuck to me. But if you like it, wear it and that's my 2cents.

princessp
April 5th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Well kept relatively even dreads can look excellent on some people. I really like the short ones that kind of stick out all over the head, they look really fun.

Dani
April 5th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Jason Castro? Psh. (Well, yes, okay. :p) But: BRANDON BOYD. :D Back in the day, anyway. Wait, now, too, but no dreads.

MandyBeth
April 5th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Can't say I'm fond of Jason Castro's dreads either. Rob Zombie had if nothing else, interesting dreads for years. Mikko Lindström also had long dreads last time I saw them in concert, but that's been a while. Hrmm, can't think of any other mainstream music I listen to that someone also has dreads.

talecon
April 5th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I always loved dreads. I wanted them since I was little. And I think I can pull the look off. But I have very thin hair. Mines would probably break off :/

talecon
April 5th, 2010, 01:51 PM
dangit I really want dreads now. I'm all twisting my hair up trying to see if my thin hair can pull it off. Right now its a HUGE knotted rats nest just from not combing it for two days. I bet my hair can naturally dread into one or two giant dreads lol

Chromis
April 5th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Count another for thinking dreads can be gorgeous! (as can *any* hair!)

talecon
April 5th, 2010, 04:14 PM
ok I'm gonna take the plunge. I'm gonna go for dreads. just because I wanted them for so long. I twisted all my hair up and it came out looking nice, but when I jumped in the shower they all fell out :(
I'm going to let my hair dry, henna, rinse the henna out, and really dread my hair. I wish my hair was longer but oh wells. With my shoulder length to apl hair it will prolly dread up to my chin. I wish I would have taken pictures of my twisted up hair before I jumped in the shower to show ya.
I was researching how to dread my hair and it says that hair wax is usually what makes lint and dirty stuff stick to the dreads and I'm pretty sure with curly hair I can get dreads without using wax.
I love dreads! and I cant wait to have some of my own :)

loralie
April 5th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Dreads are gorgeous. I used to install and do maintenance from time to time on mine and my friends' dreads. If you are serious about dreading your hair or are even curious about the process you should read the memories on Get Up Dread Up (http://www.livejournal.com/tools/memories.bml?user=get_up_dread_up), a community that's been on livejournal for quite some time and has contributions from dreaded people around the world. You don't need to use wax, you can wash them, they do grow, they're beautiful.

Every time I see gorgeous dreadlocks I miss mine more and more, but right now I need to have long and healthy loose hair. I love dreads.

talecon
April 5th, 2010, 06:41 PM
ha I been reading that livejournal community and looking at pictures for about two hours now with henna still on ma head :)
they have lots of info

MandyBeth
April 5th, 2010, 07:06 PM
DBF's dreads took quite a bit of work to get started and nice - and they are still needing maintence. But once he got over the "fuzzy" stage when the hair isn't locced up, it's less work than his hyper curly hair. Length for him right now is errmm, about 16" locced, I assume those take up a lot of length because he's not really trimmed much and he's gets about 1" of growth a month.

My only question is if you really have F hair - I'm just going off mine - mine will knot up and tangle really well, but it won't form a loc worth a darn. I think it's in relation to the ability of the hair to take much abuse - mine freaks out and starts breaking if I leave a knot in. DBF's hair is perfectly happy getting washed in dish soap and left alone without any conditioner, so being in locs doesn't cause problems.

CherrySilver
April 5th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I like dreads on lots of different people, but when I think about what their hair went thru to get that way... Last summer on vacation, I was staying at a B&B with my teenagers. A group of college-age kids were there in the large common room.

One of the guys had long dreads, almost down to his chest -- they looked okay on him. There was also a girl there, maybe 20 or so. She had lovely blonde hair, almost BSL. I had admired her 1a/F-M hair when I saw first her sitting there.

What I happened next caused me some pain... The guy and someone else there proceeded to put dreads in her hair, back-combing it and applying wax. I was cringing inside to what they were doing to her hair -- I couldn't watch and got up and left. I guess I was really surprised at my own reaction, but it really bothered me... Everyone's different and I definitely appreciate that, but this was just my personal experience.

talecon
April 5th, 2010, 07:33 PM
oh my hair turns into giant knots if I dont comb it for a few days. I had two giant knots in my hair when I first read this thread and it led me to think that if I went a week or so without combing it could probably form dreads on its own fairly quickly. my hair is pretty fine too. Since its shoulder length and curly I figured it would go up to chin length when I dread them because of shrinkage but some have brought it to my attention it might go higher than chin length and I'm not ready to have my hair that short. So I think I will only dread my hair from the roots to half way that way the ends are still curled and free. so it can grow in like this (scroll down to adrenalinechaos) http://community.livejournal.com/get_up_dread_up/938126.html
I think her hair is very nice :)

pennyroyal
April 5th, 2010, 08:24 PM
i used to have dreadies. i LOVE them! especially really long ones. :)

sugarpixie10988
April 5th, 2010, 08:29 PM
A teacher at my old school had tailbone length dreads, they were AWESOME! He took very good care of them too, everyone loved his hair :).

violeteyes
April 5th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Dreads are definitely not my thing, but I think they look good on others. I do agree about how sometimes people don"t know how to take proper care of them, but hey- it"s somebody else's hair and they"re allowed to do whatever they want with it.

Ludde
April 5th, 2010, 10:06 PM
FrannyG - salt is good! :) I was not so upset as more surprised over how strongly some felt against a hairdo they don't need to wear themselves. The colour/religion-thing bugs me, though.

catysue - I read the whole thread and responded to what I found written in it.

bp rose - yes, an opinion I fully respect. There is no need for everybody to like dreads or all kind of types of dreads.

Ludde
April 5th, 2010, 10:20 PM
I am not claiming there is only one method to dread properly, but if a product is extremely sticky in nature I´m sure it helps hair stick together, but also to anything else, too, which might not be that nice in everyday life. Like many other things; if one is offered instant good-looking dreads over night the offer may be a little too good to be good for one's hair in the long run.

talecon
April 6th, 2010, 04:05 PM
tada! http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs482.snc3/26391_1242192334635_1224147355_30510190_5007391_n. jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs482.ash1/26391_1242267696519_1224147355_30510273_3166778_n. jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs482.ash1/26391_1242267856523_1224147355_30510277_1781630_n. jpg

I lerve em :)

freckles
April 6th, 2010, 04:07 PM
tada! http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs482.snc3/26391_1242192334635_1224147355_30510190_5007391_n. jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs482.ash1/26391_1242267696519_1224147355_30510273_3166778_n. jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs482.ash1/26391_1242267856523_1224147355_30510277_1781630_n. jpg

Oh wow talecon, looking pretty sweet. Goodluck with your new dreads and make sure we get lots of progress photos :)

talecon
April 6th, 2010, 04:19 PM
fo sho! my goal length hasnt changed just because I decided to opt for dreads. Classic length here I come! (first stop apl) ;)

Ludde
April 6th, 2010, 11:05 PM
fo sho! my goal length hasnt changed just because I decided to opt for dreads. Classic length here I come! (first stop apl) ;)

:heart: Nice baby-dreads! Will look forward to more pictures!

Aer
April 6th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I actually love dreads. I like all types, especially the long thinner ones that in large numbers on the persons head.

SimplyViki
April 7th, 2010, 07:00 AM
This thread reminded me of a teen crush I had on Sonny from POD. :D He used to have some really awesome dreads. You can see them in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOESyEljmFE). (Or of course, you could Google him, but then you'll miss the really cool music video :p)

talecon
April 7th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I actually love dreads. I like all types, especially the long thinner ones that in large numbers on the persons head.

I knew someone with dreads like that, they were so long but the only thing I could thing aside from them being beautiful was that they must be really heavy

TiaKitty
April 7th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Those are really pretty, talecon! I think they do suit your look.

I couldn't have them, because I can't abide by tangles. Even a few and I get all sqicked out and have to de-tangle my hair, usually with a brush. If I get a bunch, say from being out in the wind or something, I have to finger comb, at the least, to keep my mess of hair under control.

One of my best friends is mated with a man with long blonde dreds. He goes to someone specially to have them treated, and when he comes back he smells like honeydew melon and freshly mown grass. Absolutely grand.

talecon
April 7th, 2010, 04:12 PM
oo thats nice. I should look for someone like that in my area. I looked at some dreadlock videos on youtube and this girl in a salon was just ripping the hair at the ends to give the guy rounded tips! ouch! I can hear his hair scream out in pain. So that led me to just do it on my own and besides I saw a pic of some girl who left her ends out to curl and it looked so bootiful :)
but dreads that smell of honeydew melon, mmm sounds tasty :D

pennyroyal
April 7th, 2010, 11:52 PM

congrats girlie! They look great! Keep us updated.

loralie
April 11th, 2010, 04:08 PM
They look really cute! GUDU is amazing, so much good info. Congrats on your dreadie journey! Hope they don't shrink up too much! :)

Nae
April 11th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Ooooh Talecon, I lub them!!!!

Okay, I love dreads. Totally think they look awesome, but I am such a goob who changes her mind every three seconds that I could never commit. I took me 8 freaking years to decide on my tattoo!! Okay, I know dreads aren't as permanent as some ink but still, it would be just too much for my flighty little brain to handle. I know I would want them out within about 6 months at the longest so it is hardly worth the effort.

You guys with the dreads.......rock on!! I think they are awesome!

Speckla
April 11th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Well care for dreads can look great. Not so well cared for? Well, it's not my hair, not my business and not really going to make any difference in my life.

LadyAstolat
April 11th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I have to admit that I used to hold the misconception that all dreads were nasty and filthy and only worn by people who did not take proper care of themselves. This was often reinforced by my mother who worked in a hospital for some time and told me stories of people with dreads who stank no matter what because their hair was nasty and basically rotting while on their own head. After growing up and getting out into the world I learned that as with all hair, loose or dreaded, it depends on how well you care for it. How many times have you seen someone with long hair that was stringy and greasy looking and it seemed quite obvious that they did not brush it every day? Does that mean all people with long hair are gross? Absolutely not!

I currently work with a gentleman who has thin dreads (maybe the width of a pencil) his hair is braided into some complex looking braids at the scalp along the top and sides of his head with the dreads flowing out the back that he keeps in place by wrapping one dread around the bunch and tucking it under. It always looks fantastic. I never see dandruff, debris, mold or anything of the like and he most certainly does not smell!

I've thought about trying dreads before but yeah it is a commitment and I kinda like my flowing hair now. :)

Demetrue
April 11th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Since I don't have either an ethnic, religious, or life-style connection to dreads, and my hair is neither curly nor thick, I have never felt lead down that particular hair-style path. I admire them on people who are rockin' that look, for whatever reason they choose - ethnic, religious, aesthetic. I'm also somewhat OCD and know I would have difficulty committing to anything that I couldn't freely change, whether it be hair or a tattoo or a piercing.

TXbarbie
April 12th, 2010, 12:40 AM
An interesting point was raised when I was talking to a friend the other day; she has dreadlocks, long ones, and of course I was curious as to the condition of her hair. Although she said the initial stages were very uncomfortable, she didn't worry about shedding as much anymore, because any shed hair would simply get matted in to a dread.She said her hair felt healthier and more natural. However, I've seen some pictures where it looks like dreadlocked hair gets very damaged, and pulled about it ways it shouldn't go, leaving some awkward little bald spots.
Personally I think dreads look great on people who have the right face for them; but I couldn't bring myself to do that to my hair! The allure for me is that with dreadlocks, you can put really pretty beads into your hair, something I've wanted to do since childhood :)
Anyone out there have dreads? Thoughts, everyone?
Dreads remind me of all the homeless people who live on/near UT's campus and always yell at the girls "Can I sleep on your floor tonight?!" which actually just happened to me again TODAY. gross.

I've never really understood why people like them so much and I've never seen them done well in person... of course the people whom I meet with said dreadlocks are usually in a state where they can't take good care of themselves, period.

florenonite
April 12th, 2010, 04:07 AM
I have to admit that I used to hold the misconception that all dreads were nasty and filthy and only worn by people who did not take proper care of themselves. This was often reinforced by my mother who worked in a hospital for some time and told me stories of people with dreads who stank no matter what because their hair was nasty and basically rotting while on their own head. After growing up and getting out into the world I learned that as with all hair, loose or dreaded, it depends on how well you care for it. How many times have you seen someone with long hair that was stringy and greasy looking and it seemed quite obvious that they did not brush it every day? Does that mean all people with long hair are gross? Absolutely not!

I currently work with a gentleman who has thin dreads (maybe the width of a pencil) his hair is braided into some complex looking braids at the scalp along the top and sides of his head with the dreads flowing out the back that he keeps in place by wrapping one dread around the bunch and tucking it under. It always looks fantastic. I never see dandruff, debris, mold or anything of the like and he most certainly does not smell!

I've thought about trying dreads before but yeah it is a commitment and I kinda like my flowing hair now. :)

While I understand that you're talking about people who just don't care for their hair, and who probably should be brushing daily, just remember that there are loads of people who don't brush daily and their hair doesn't suffer for it. Curly hair in particular is better off with either never being brushed or being infrequently brushed. I've got straight hair and at above BSL I don't need to brush it much because it just doesn't tangle. I comb it with my fingers and wash it regularly, and it's fine :shrug:

aef231
April 12th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I love the look of dreads when they're well cared-for and maintained. If I had the right texture hair, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Mine is straight, slippery, and pretty fine though, so that's not gonna happen. Ah, well. I've learned to like my hair the way it is. But yeah, I was pretty much in love with Lauryn Hill's hair back in the day :p

Grey
April 27th, 2010, 01:29 AM
It's so sad that there are so many myths and misconceptions about dreadlocks.
There are natural dreadlocks and salon dreadlocks.

Natural dreads are very healthy and are all around amazing. They are a lifestyle all on their own. Salon dreads...well, I won't go into those because they are mostly made by the misinformed and they are what begun most of those horrible myths that everyone hears about. But one thing is for certain...wax is not supposed to go in hair, lol.

Oh, I'd also like to add something...(sorry for the double post, my second post and already making doubles, lol. Sorry again) but everyone's hair is different and that's one thing that makes dreading so unique. Is that if you dread naturally then you will have dreads that are completely your own. Not to mention that you would be one of the few who chose to walk a different path.

Ugh, dang it! Sorry for a triple post but I decided to read a little bit more into this thread and I want to make it clear to everyone that dreads are not a high maintenance hair style. They are super clean and they do not rot or fall off unless they become too weak. Weakness in dreads come from over maintaining dreads which causes weak spots and forces them to break. Mold is causes by letting the dreads get wet and then letting the water soak into them without drying them properly because honestly, dreads do take longer to dry than normal hair. Natural dreads are the most low maintenance hairstyle that you can ever possibly have. Dreadlocks force you to give up a lot of your vanity. Growing dreadlocks is a very long process. For one year you must wash with only water and all natural soap. This causes baby dreads to form. Honestly, baby dreads tend to look like crap but the dreading process is exciting to whomever is going through that process. After a few months to a year the baby dreads become teenage dreads. This stage is all about craziness, you get all sorts of loops and bumps and your hair is constantly changing. Some days they look amazing, some days they will look like crap. The final stage is mature dreads, this is when your locks are fully formed and they find their own order in the chaos of the dread process. This stage is when dreads really start to shine and look beautiful. They can still very messy but they look good in a wild sort of way. Dreadlocks are not for everyone but everyone can naturally dread.

Again, natural dreads are maintenance free. The only requirements are regular washing.
Once a week is good for dreadlocks, that way they stay clean and healthy yet aren't damaged in the process. But I tend to wash mine every other day because I work out...

RoseRed27
April 27th, 2010, 08:12 PM
The majority of members have been understanding/open minded/appreciating but I have to chime in. I've seen beautiful classic length straight hair, I've also seen long scraggly dirty looking hair that I don't think anyone on this forum would want on their heads! Does seeing the unkempt straight hair make me think that all straight hair is "gross"? No! So why the bashing of locks?

I think it's uninformed at best and hateful at worst. Locks have racial, religious and cultural associations. I'm black and Jamaican. Yes, yes, locks have existed in other cultures but not to the extent of African cultures. Saying locks should not be associated mainly to African culture is like saying since some Jews have kinky hair, the Afro has nothing to do with blacks. :rolleyes: I've also worked in a health food store, so that makes me an expert! lol :p I've seen locks of all kinds. Teeny ones on young kids, long thick root-like ones on very handsome men *wink* *wink*, thin classic length twine-like ones on glowing pregnant mothers, and even sister-locks on trendy fashionistas. All neat, cared for and smelling like lovely shampoo.

The ONLY bad locks I've seen were on young teens who thought they couldn't wash their locks! These are the lazy kids who hang around on the street trying to look grungy before going back home to their gated communities to play "rockband"! These people have no awareness of the history of locks, they just get them because they're "alternative". I've also seen a homeless man with bad locks, but something tells me his hair would look like hell irrespective of his hair style.

Truth is, I've heard people say similarly disparaging things about Afros too, ("rat's nest", "steel wool", "animals crawling inside"). I've heard this about women who choose to wear hijabs ("it must smell under there, they never take them off"). But I bet no one who holds those opinions would ever dare voice them here. Locks are now sprouting on the heads of non-black surfers, skaters, musicians, health food junkies, yoga babes, poetry buffs, new agers, environmentalists, middle aged authors, cyber punk goth kids, tribal belly dancers and the genuine 'green' crowd. I think it's fantastic. I love a good cross cultural swap. I just wish more people would take the time to study and understand the history of locks and appreciate the many different African cultures (and the few non-African ones! :)) that spawned this popular look.

I also wish that the people who think locks are inherently "unclean" would realize all hair styles can either be clean or dirty, it clearly depends on the person.

RoseRed27
April 27th, 2010, 08:28 PM
On a related note, in my health food store I worked with a 35 year old man whom many of the customers referred to as "the one with the dreadlocks". :rolleyes: Ugh! It annoyed me to no end, I would just pretend I didn't know who they were talking about and say "no one here has locks". Why? Because no one there did! His hair wasn't locked, it was just messy! He had mid-back black wavy curly hair with a few silver strands throughout, he was probably 2b-3c. It was lovely, but come on he was a total hippy! :p He was a lovable scatterbrain. Daily finger combing or detangling wasn't on his mind, so it was messy! Why I mention this, and why I would get so mad is because people equated his messy NON-LOCKED hair with locks. Messy does not equal locks. But it does in the minds of some people, even when logically they have nothing to do with each other....sigh....

jeanniet
April 27th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I think dreads can be very beautiful, although I have to admit I prefer to not see them on blond people of European descent, probably because I see some really bad examples around here! But I've also seen many people with dreads that were so nicely kept and just really attractive and individualistic. I could never pull them off, but if you can and want to, go for it!

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Nice posting Redrose! :D

I think dreads can be very beautiful, although I have to admit I prefer to not see them on blond people of European descent, probably because I see some really bad examples around here! But I've also seen many people with dreads that were so nicely kept and just really attractive and individualistic. I could never pull them off, but if you can and want to, go for it!

Dreadlocks are very different from normal straight hair. Dreadlocks are a journey, they become more perfect over time. Dreadlocks are not necessarily meant to be kept. You grow dreadlocks by not maintaining your hair so why would one maintain dreadlocks? The main thing that you do to maintain nice dreadlocks is to keep them clean. What people don't understand is that dreads only start to look amazing after growing them for years. At first they do look very messy but the older they get the better they look. So what you're probably seeing is either people just starting to grow dreads or people who don't wash them or you may be seeing people that have those nasty fake wax dreads. Trust me, I have done a ton of research on dreads, I have wanted them since I was a child and I've finally decided to grow them just recently. Oh and blonde dreads are my favorite! :D http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6114/dreadlocks.jpg (http://img202.imageshack.us/i/dreadlocks.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

stinamoo
April 28th, 2010, 05:44 AM
**deleted**

Maddy25
April 28th, 2010, 06:31 AM
I do think dreads can look great on some people if they are well done, very original, I have a few family members who have had them.

However, and this is just my personal oppinion so I don't mean to be rude, they kind of gross me out at the same time, the thought of having knotted, matted hair on my head just makes me shiver because I keep mine obbsessivly smooth and untangled, its just what I prefer. I understand that nice dreads are not dirty at all and are very natural, I just wouldnt choose them.

However I am a very sensitive person when it comes to hair, the close-up photos in the hair care article of damaged hair and split ends make me feel sick.

ohiofritty
April 28th, 2010, 08:17 AM
I wish I could have dreads >_<

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I know many people with very beautiful dreadlocks that they do maintain (not with wax). I think it's just as right for them to call those real and natural dreadlocks :) especially as it depends on hairtype how easily your hair will form dreadlocks or stay messy-loose if unmaintained.

Well I'm sorry to disagree but those are not natural dreadlocks.
There is no known artifical maintenance that you can do to dreadlocks without causing unnecessary damage. Every way that dreadlocks are maintained causes unnecessary damage to the structure of the locks. Although there are some NATURAL ways to maintain dreads that don't cause damage and your friends might be doing those. It does depend on hair type to some extent. African hair can dread when it's very short while caucasian hair won't dread very well when short. I think you're missing the point. Dreads stay messy/loose for a while because this is how they dread. If they are not messy/loose they will not dread properly. Any maintenance to make them tighter before they're ready will slow down the dread process. It's only after years of having dreads that they finally come to the stage where they tighten and become "nice" and maintained looking. With that said, they're not actually maintained. They just look it because the locks have had so much time to mature and grow into nice tight locks. Dreading is a process.
It's a very simple process but by today's hair standards everyone wants to push it to become what it really isn't and in this way we all start getting wrapped up in the dreaded myths. Pun intended. :p

I wish I could have dreads >_<

lol, you can and I can help. Message me if you're truly interested. :D

dame-dancealot
April 28th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I've tried to get dreads... I was working outdoor music festivals two summers ago, so I figured that I could get thru the initial struggle phase before heading back to the "real world." Unfortunately, we got thru half my head with the technique that my friend who had helped many people start theirs (crazy gypsies) when we got exhausted. The next morning my hair was all but normal. My broomstick-straight-super-fine hair did NOT want to cooperate.

I love well cared for dreads. Even the messy ones are very different looking when they're clean. If someone's willing to take care of them, I think its fantastic, and I'm jealous of them. However, I've also seen multiple people with gorgeous APL/BSL hair dread it and then not keep them clean, and it becomes a huge disappointment. :-/

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I've tried to get dreads... I was working outdoor music festivals two summers ago, so I figured that I could get thru the initial struggle phase before heading back to the "real world." Unfortunately, we got thru half my head with the technique that my friend who had helped many people start theirs (crazy gypsies) when we got exhausted. The next morning my hair was all but normal. My broomstick-straight-super-fine hair did NOT want to cooperate.

I love well cared for dreads. Even the messy ones are very different looking when they're clean. If someone's willing to take care of them, I think its fantastic, and I'm jealous of them. However, I've also seen multiple people with gorgeous APL/BSL hair dread it and then not keep them clean, and it becomes a huge disappointment. :-/

There might have been a few different reasons that your hair didn't want to cooperate. But yeah, bone straight hair tends to take longer to dread, sadly. I think many people think of dreads as something to maintain and take care of but in reality they are the easiest hair type to take care of if done correctly.

Sorry if all my random info is bothering anyone.
I actually joined this site because of dreadlocks and I was hoping to be very active in the dreadlock topics but if it annoys anyone then I'll gladly leave the thread.

stinamoo
April 28th, 2010, 03:04 PM
**deleted**

Buddaphlyy
April 28th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Well I'm sorry to disagree but those are not natural dreadlocks.
There is no known artifical maintenance that you can do to dreadlocks without causing unnecessary damage. Every way that dreadlocks are maintained causes unnecessary damage to the structure of the locks. Although there are some NATURAL ways to maintain dreads that don't cause damage and your friends might be doing those. It does depend on hair type to some extent. African hair can dread when it's very short while caucasian hair won't dread very well when short. I think you're missing the point. Dreads stay messy/loose for a while because this is how they dread. If they are not messy/loose they will not dread properly. Any maintenance to make them tighter before they're ready will slow down the dread process. It's only after years of having dreads that they finally come to the stage where they tighten and become "nice" and maintained looking. With that said, they're not actually maintained. They just look it because the locks have had so much time to mature and grow into nice tight locks. Dreading is a process.
It's a very simple process but by today's hair standards everyone wants to push it to become what it really isn't and in this way we all start getting wrapped up in the dreaded myths. Pun intended. :p

lol, you can and I can help. Message me if you're truly interested. :D

Unless one is growing free form locs a la Rastafarian type, some tightening and maintenance has to occur or else you don't have a loc, just matted hair. My brother has locs and it definitely didn't take years for it to happen and if he doesn't get his root retwisted every 6 months or so, the already loced hair starts to break from the new growth.

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Why does maintaining dreadlocks not count as natural? Animals groom, we groom too, it's natural. I'm referring to crocheting of loops and excess fuzz, and separating dreads at the scalp to prevent beaver tail. Perhaps starting using the backcombing method.

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say 'artificial maintenance', and I don't understand what point I'm missing. Are you are referring to starting dreadlocks with a perm, or maintaining by looping through at the root, or using wax, or something else?

Separating is perfectly natural. But the crocheting is very damaging and this is one of the methods that causes the dreads to break off and fall off. You force anything inside the dread and it causes a weak spot. If you do this everyday or even once a weak then the dreads get weaker over time. Artificial maintenance is anything that you have to use that isn't natural. Animals do groom themselves but I've never seen an animal pick up a metal hook and shove it through their fur. If you notice they are very gentle when they do their grooming and they make very little to no changes and when they do make changes it is very subtle. It's good that you use animals as an example though because dreadlocks are a very primitive and all natural hairstyle. When you start dreadlocking naturally your hair does what it wants and that is very important for it. Because it looks right and it will be the most comfortable.

At the very end of your post you named the absolute worst ways to start dreading, lol. The dread perm, I have a friend that tried that. His scalp turned out so bad. Looping through the root is called rip flipping or interlocking. This is just a ploy for people to make money. The salons will tell you that you need regular dreadlock maintenance and they will take you to come back once a month or a few times a year or something. Then they will interlock your hair. This is completely wrong way to tighten dreads. I also had a friend who tried this method on only one of her dreads and it got so tight at the root that it hurt physically and she ended up cutting it off.
Wax is horrible for dreads. It only mashes the hair together and keeps it together and makes it look like you have dreads. Lint and dirt stick to wax and wax dreads end up dirty and gross. Not to mention that wax is almost impossible to get out of hair. Backcombing is a goofy way to start dreads because to get dreads you have to quit combing your hair. So it is ironic. Not to mention that combing causes split ends. Backcombing is combing towards the root so it weakens roots and roots need to be strong to support healthy deadlocks. While the backcombing method helps start a foundation there is more healthy and natural way to start called the T&R, T&R for twist and rip and it doesn't look as goofy as backcombing does. Backcombing just looks forced to me which is exactly what it is. Wax and interlocking are the worst things that you can do to your dreads. I'm surprised that you mentioned it.

Oh and I forgot to address the extra fuzz and loops.
The fuzzy hairs are really helpful to dreading. You'll notice that they actually help dread and they eventually dread into your hair but you'll always have a few left over fuzzies, they're no big deal and I actually like that look. I guess it is because I've been around natural dreads lately and I've grown accustomed to it. The loops are good signs of hair dreading. Loops start to show up when the hair is dreading on it's own so loops are a very good sign. Anything that you do to loops is possibly and probably slowing down the dreading process. Most loops go away as the dreads mature.
Dreads are a journey that can't be forced. I hope you're taking my words as good advice and not something that is against you or what you believe. These are the experiences of a guy (not me, well and some of my experiences) who has been dreading for many many years and has dreads that go far past his ankles.

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Unless one is growing free form locs a la Rastafarian type, some tightening and maintenance has to occur or else you don't have a loc, just matted hair. My brother has locs and it definitely didn't take years for it to happen and if he doesn't get his root retwisted every 6 months or so, the already loced hair starts to break.

No, the hair tightens over the years.
The only maintenance that occurs is washing and separating so that you don't end up with a beaver tail or a uni dread.

No, it doesn't take years to dread but it does take years to form MATURE locks. It cant take as little as a week to form.

I don't know why his locked hair would break unless he over maintains his hair. I don't understand the logic.

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I meant to say can* in that last post when I was referring to growing locks.

I don't mean to offend anybody or argue with anybody...
I just don't understand how people can tell me I am wrong when I got all my information from my own experience and the experiences of many, many other long haired dreadheads.

Buddaphlyy
April 28th, 2010, 03:58 PM
No, the hair tightens over the years.
The only maintenance that occurs is washing and separating so that you don't end up with a beaver tail or a uni dread.

No, it doesn't take years to dread but it does take years to form MATURE locks. It cant take as little as a week to form.

I don't know why his locked hair would break unless he over maintains his hair. I don't understand the logic.

To the bolded - that's what free form locs are. Also what you call separating to me is the same as tightening. If you don't do something to keep the separated hair with the older, already loced hair (i.e. tightening), the hair will just mat and eventually the already loced hair will break off (my brother made this mistake with his first set of locs).

Also, IME, the only difference between a mature locs and "immature" locs if you will is the amount of time one has been growing them. But if you started your locs properly, it should always stay loced.

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 04:15 PM
To the bolded - that's what free form locs are. Also what you call separating to me is the same as tightening. If you don't do something to keep the separated hair with the older, already loced hair (i.e. tightening), the hair will just mat and eventually the already loced hair will break off (my brother made this mistake with his first set of locs).

Also, IME, the only difference between a mature locs and "immature" locs if you will is the amount of time one has been growing them. But if you started your locs properly, it should always stay loced.

Not necessarily. Free form locs don't always form uni dreads or beaver tails but dreads change all the time and eventually free form locks will become uni dreads if not separated but that is usually over five or ten years of not separating. Locked hair wouldn't break unless it was weak for some reason...but it could happen.

There is a big difference between mature locks and baby locks. When you first start growing dreads they will start to take form and they really do look like a mess. That's baby locks.
Teenage locks are locks that have their own form and their own shape. They change from day to day. They generally look pretty decent but they have some bad days and can get out of hand.
Mature locks are the dreads that people usually like because they look maintained when they really aren't. They just tighten up over the years and they stop changing as much. This is when they look the best and they will always look good from there on out.
Of course they still change after they're mature and mature locks like to congo (combine into bigger locks). Which is why they need separation. But there is a big difference.

If you show me a picture of random locks then I can, 70% of the time, tell you how they are maintained and how mature they are.

eresh
April 28th, 2010, 04:26 PM
My thoughts on dreads...
I don't like them.
Multiminibraids I do like, I like neat and orderly ;-)

I've only been around badly taken care of dreads from what I read here, and mostly only seen yucky dreads (those beavertail things, I call them Crusties).
But even then, it's not really my thing.
One guy really ruined it for me when he constantly scratched his scalp with a knitting needle and you could just see the crusts on his head..... Ew. Just ew.

But that's just my opinion.

Tonks
April 28th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I think dreadlocks are absolutely gorgeous. When my hair is waist or hip length, my plan is to get dreadlocks :) I dream of having long dreads one day.

eresh
April 28th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I grabbed some pics off the web of some randomly beautiful people in locks. no way could you say these people don't take care of their hair (they're gorgeous!):

http://www.black-women-beauty-central.com/image-files/dreadlocks-pic.jpg
http://bajan.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/dread-locks.jpg

Now, these type of dreads I find aesthetically appealing.
It suits the hair, it just looks much much better on this hairtype, neat and orderly ;-)
imho

Grey
April 28th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Now, these type of dreads I find aesthetically appealing.
It suits the hair, it just looks much much better on this hairtype, neat and orderly ;-)
imho

The appeal of dreads isn't in aesthetics.
But I like the second picture. The first is nice as well.

I hate how it is "okay" to judge dreads but it is wrong to say "I don't like that hair, it's too wavy or too dark."

I also don't like how it's bad to discriminate against white people with dreads while it's not okay to discriminate again blacks that straighten their hair. The only reason people like black peoples dreads is because everyone is used to seeing black dreads more often. Black hair dreads faster and isn't as messy during the process but blacks have weaker hair so it's a trade-off in genetics.

RoseRed27
April 28th, 2010, 11:50 PM
But I like the second picture. The first is nice as well.

I hate how it is "okay" to judge dreads but it is wrong to say "I don't like that hair, it's too wavy or too dark."

I also don't like how it's bad to discriminate against white people with dreads while it's not okay to discriminate again blacks that straighten their hair. The only reason people like black peoples dreads is because everyone is used to seeing black dreads more often. Black hair dreads faster and isn't as messy during the process but blacks have weaker hair so it's a trade-off in genetics.

I agree that it's wrong to assume anything negative about locks when it all depends on the head which carries them. But I don't agree that blacks who straighten their hair aren't discriminated against. They are, people assume they do it to fit into white culture (because historically they did and many still subconsciously do). When I flat iron my hair people assume all sorts of things about me,
they aren't true, because I cut off all of my relaxer down to an inch of new growth when I finally woke up and realized why I (personally) have been torturing my hair straight. I just flat iron every now and then to enjoy the growth that I was told wasn't in the cards for me because of my race. :p

The reason whites with locks aren't as appreciated as blacks with locks is because blacks in general tend to understand or at least make an attempt to understand the reasons why locks exist. It's not simply because their hair looks "neater" with locks. There are people, black and white, but most especially black, who cringe at the word "dreadlocks", because of the origin of the word. They prefer the term locks or locs, though they, like myself, tend to understand that many people don't know where the term actually comes from and therefore have no negative associations with the term. The problem is many whites who get locks, do so because it's trendy, not because of a deep love of keeping things natural or an appreciation of indigenous cultures.

I also don't agree that the "fragility" of black hair is any trade off. Long hair wasn't necessarily a sign of beauty in any African culture. What was more important was the pattern in your braids or the intricacy of the hair style. Long straight and "strong" hair was a liability in many parts of Africa. It would be hot and impractical, whereas a kinky texture that grew up and out, instead of down, would be cooler and more comfortable in the sultry African environment. The exception being locks, which didn't stick to warm skin like straight loose hair would.

Once again putting my two cents in! :D

KBG
April 29th, 2010, 12:14 AM
I love locs/dreadlocks/dreadies on all types of hair and on all sorts of people as long as they're reasonably clean.

I had the so-called "salon locs" (maintained with latch-hooking) for a while but missed the flexibility of loose hair. I took them down after a few years and found no insect corpses, space aliens, montauk monsters etc.

However, there was some lint and product residue in the core..only near the very ends/tips.

Maybe because I latchhooked as it grew (instead of palm-rolling) it wasn't much different than undoing small braids.

eadwine
April 29th, 2010, 12:23 AM
My thoughts are that dreadlocks can look very good, but you do have to have the amount of hair to support it. Thin hair and locks, ehhh sorry, no, looks like a mess. Also it has to be well looked after, so no flakes and such like Eresh described, that is indeed ewww.

Nera
April 29th, 2010, 12:58 AM
I love them. I started growing my hair because I wanted dreadlocks.
I'm sure that, with my hair, it would be so much easier to take care of! I've had this one dreadlock for years now, it's always really clean. When I wash my hair, the dreadlock smells amazing, it just soaks up the smell of the shampoo.
I think dreads are beautiful. When I see some one with dreadlocks, I just get interested right away. (But when they turn around, that effect is mostly gone:P)
Dreads give a nice and interesting texture to the hair. But that's all a matter of taste.

They become really heavy when wet, so they pull on the scalp. I've heard several people who took them down, say that that is unbarable. Also I think they can cause scalp irritations because they pull on the scalp.

If I get dreads, I will make thin and thight ones. They are less heavy and cleaner I guess.

Flynn
April 29th, 2010, 01:11 AM
I love them. I started growing my hair because I wanted dreadlocks.
I'm sure that, with my hair, it would be so much easier to take care of! I've had this one dreadlock for years now, it's always really clean. When I wash my hair, the dreadlock smells amazing, it just soaks up the smell of the shampoo.
I think dreads are beautiful. When I see some one with dreadlocks, I just get interested right away. (But when they turn around, that effect is mostly gone:P)
Dreads give a nice and interesting texture to the hair. But that's all a matter of taste.

They become really heavy when wet, so they pull on the scalp. I've heard several people who took them down, say that that is unbarable. Also I think they can cause scalp irritations because they pull on the scalp.

If I get dreads, I will make thin and thight ones. They are less heavy and cleaner I guess.

The one single person I know well who has them does scalp washes only, for exactly that reason. If he does get them wet, he has to lie down until they are mostly dry, even after squeezing them out! Hahahaha

He does have very fat, blunt locks, though.

Grey
April 29th, 2010, 03:17 AM
The one single person I know well who has them does scalp washes only, for exactly that reason. If he does get them wet, he has to lie down until they are mostly dry, even after squeezing them out! Hahahaha

He does have very fat, blunt locks, though.

It's because they're fat and blunt. But it's mostly the blunt factor that's doing that.

Love to see all the judgment on dreadlocks...
Sorry, I should go to bed. I'm in a bad mood. Bad day.

Grey
April 29th, 2010, 03:20 AM
I agree that it's wrong to assume anything negative about locks when it all depends on the head which carries them. But I don't agree that blacks who straighten their hair aren't discriminated against. They are, people assume they do it to fit into white culture (because historically they did and many still subconsciously do). When I flat iron my hair people assume all sorts of things about me,
they aren't true, because I cut off all of my relaxer down to an inch of new growth when I finally woke up and realized why I (personally) have been torturing my hair straight. I just flat iron every now and then to enjoy the growth that I was told wasn't in the cards for me because of my race. :p

The reason whites with locks aren't as appreciated as blacks with locks is because blacks in general tend to understand or at least make an attempt to understand the reasons why locks exist. It's not simply because their hair looks "neater" with locks. There are people, black and white, but most especially black, who cringe at the word "dreadlocks", because of the origin of the word. They prefer the term locks or locs, though they, like myself, tend to understand that many people don't know where the term actually comes from and therefore have no negative associations with the term. The problem is many whites who get locks, do so because it's trendy, not because of a deep love of keeping things natural or an appreciation of indigenous cultures.

I also don't agree that the "fragility" of black hair is any trade off. Long hair wasn't necessarily a sign of beauty in any African culture. What was more important was the pattern in your braids or the intricacy of the hair style. Long straight and "strong" hair was a liability in many parts of Africa. It would be hot and impractical, whereas a kinky texture that grew up and out, instead of down, would be cooler and more comfortable in the sultry African environment. The exception being locks, which didn't stick to warm skin like straight loose hair would.

Completely true! Nice posting once again.

BUT the term dreadlock isn't a negative term, I don't know where you heard that. Dread comes from the Rasta movement. Dread was made by the Rastas. Dread means to fear God. Because Rastas are super religious and they are nazarenes just like Jesus was. Which makes you wonder if Jesus also had dreadlocks. But the term dread does sound bad so a lot of people refer to them as locks.
I like both words and so I use both. =)

eresh
April 29th, 2010, 08:55 AM

FOR YOU is is not in aesthetics.
I've noticed in more of your posts that you state your opinion as truth.
My opinion can be different, and it is.
Nothing wrong with that.

ETA: like:

"This is when they look the best and they will always look good from there on out."
"Natural dreads are very healthy and are all around amazing."
"Salon dreads...well, I won't go into those because they are mostly made by the misinformed"
"But one thing is for certain...wax is not supposed to go in hair, lol."

Those are opinions, so yea, people can disagree with them.

eadwine
April 29th, 2010, 11:35 AM
*nodnod* Well said Eresh, you took the words right out of my mouth :)

Maddy25
April 29th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Nothing wrong with that.

"This is when they look the best and they will always look good from there on out."
"Salon dreads...well, I won't go into those because they are mostly made by the misinformed"

Thank you for saying that :D

Buddaphlyy
April 29th, 2010, 01:45 PM

Thanks for this post. It's much better than the 15 cent I would have put in, lol.

Completely true! Nice posting once again.

BUT the term dreadlock isn't a negative term, I don't know where you heard that. Dread comes from the Rasta movement. Dread was made by the Rastas. Dread means to fear God. Because Rastas are super religious and they are nazarenes just like Jesus was. Which makes you wonder if Jesus also had dreadlocks. But the term dread does sound bad so a lot of people refer to them as locks.
I like both words and so I use both. =)

Sorry, this is incorrect. Because many people associate dreadlocs with Rastafarians they mistakenly assume they coined the term. However, Africans and some Indians wore locs long before the Rastafarian movement, they were just not termed as such.

The term "dreadlocks" actually originated from white slave owners upon seeing newly arrived slaves from the Middle Passage. Because they were not allowed their combs, brushes, and other hair grooming aids during the trip, most of the hair (that hadn't been shaved) grew matted and knotted and the slave owners described it as "dreadful locks" and that's how the term became to be.

florenonite
April 29th, 2010, 02:11 PM
The term "dreadlocks" actually originated from white slave owners upon seeing newly arrived slaves from the Middle Passage. Because they were not allowed their combs, brushes, and other hair grooming aids during the trip, most of the hair (that hadn't been shaved) grew matted and knotted and the slave owners described it as "dreadful locks" and that's how the term became to be.

Thanks for explaining this :) I've got a habit of calling them "dreads" or "dreadlocks", not as a negative thing, but because a friend of mine had them for years and that was how she referred to them.

stinamoo
April 29th, 2010, 02:51 PM
**deleted**

KBG
April 29th, 2010, 03:20 PM
In case it wasn't clear, when I referred to "starting dreadlocks with a perm, or maintaining by looping through at the root, or using wax" I was referring to them as 'artificial maintenance'. I'm well aware of the damaging effects they can have.

That's what i did.

I had more of an odd sort of braid going than a true lock/matt but it was close enough...and reversible.:p

Grey
April 29th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Nothing wrong with that.

Seeing dreadlocks and wanting them for aesthetics is different than growing dreadlocks. You can think of them as a nice looking hairstyle but that doesn't change the fact that 99% of people don't grow them out for two whole years and on for their looks. Even the ones who do grow them out for the looks end up gaining more from them than just that. So while everyone here might want to disagree with me, the real truth is that it is almost impossible to want dreadlocks and then grow dreadlocks just for vanities sake. now days you have all these companies trying to sell you instant dreadlocks which aren't REAL dreadlocks. Dreadlocks take time and that is all that can make them form. If you do one of these salon methods to grow locks then you're forced to maintain them because they won't stay that way, the locks will fall out and form on their own. But anyways...most people can't stand to see their hair being in such disarray for months on time so they give up. You can disagree all that you want but I haven't ever seen or talked to someone who grew natural dreadlocks for ONLY the look.

The only people who find dreadlocks appealing are either the ones who grew them and people who judge them on how they look.
If someone has messy, tangly hair half of everyone on this site would say that it's nasty. Well in two or three years that mess becomes beautiful dreadlocks. I state truth as if it's truth, I don't state my opinions as if it's truth. I state my experiences because that is true. But you're free to disagree...

BUT one thing I must say...
WAX DOES NOT GIVE YOU DREADS NOR DOES IT GO IN HAIR.
I'm serious about that, that is NOT an opinion.
I don't want someone to come into this thread and see "wax is an opinion." and then put wax in her waist length hair only to see that it won't come out and she ends up having to cut her hair.
Salon dreads...to grow natural dreads you don't maintain them and you don't cut your hair. Why would you go to a salon and PAY MONEY to get dreads instantly put in? It's sound logic...
Not to mention that almost every technique that they use will do some sort of damage to your hair. Whether small or not.
Natural dreadlocks are amazing...you judge locks on perfectness, neatness and cleanliness. I judge locks on uniqueness, healthiness and cleanliness. Opinions...opinions...since most people who grow locks don't care of others opinions it doesn't really matter.
I still don't see how people tell me that I'm wrong when I am the one growing locks and have many, many friends doing the same. And not to mention that they all used different methods and I'm sharing my experiences and theirs. They look the best after they mature. That is not an opinion. They naturally tighten up and they don't change as much. They are more appealing aesthetically so I'm sure that you would agree with that one. And they always will from there on out unless one lets them congo into a uni-dread.

Buddaphlyy- Fair enough. This could be the truth so I won't argue on that one. But as far as history does go...dreads go way back.
Farther than the bible. I guess they just never bothered giving dreadlocks a name until then. Probably just called em locks.

RoseRed27
April 29th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks for this post. It's much better than the 15 cent I would have put in, lol.

Sorry, this is incorrect. Because many people associate dreadlocs with Rastafarians they mistakenly assume they coined the term. However, Africans and some Indians wore locs long before the Rastafarian movement, they were just not termed as such.

Thank you! ^__^ I think it's so important to know the origins of things. Also, for anyone who doesn't know, the African slaves' lack of long flowing hair was used against them and served as more "proof" that they were inferior and barely human. Thank the founding fathers for that. :rolleyes: (once again, long loose hair wasn't practical or used as a marker of beauty in many African cultures.)

When people use the term "dreads" or "dreadlocks" I know they don't mean any harm, but I think it's also important to gently explain why many people would object to the use of that term. Thanks again. :)

Grey
April 29th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Thank you! ^__^ I think it's so important to know the origins of things. Also, for anyone who doesn't know, the African slaves' lack of long flowing hair was used against them and served as more "proof" that they were inferior and barely human. Thank the founding fathers for that. :rolleyes: (once again, long loose hair wasn't practical or used as a marker of beauty in many African cultures.)

When people use the term "dreads" or "dreadlocks" I know they don't mean any harm, but I think it's also important to gently explain why many people would object to the use of that term. Thanks again. :)

But like I said as well...

Dreadlocks go back before Africans or before the bible.
I think I'll just quit giving my own opinion in this thread.

turtlelover
April 29th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Not my thing at all. I just don't care for the way they look even the slightest bit. But, to each their own. The world would be a boring place if everyone liked the same styles!

Kuchen
April 30th, 2010, 12:02 AM
My friend started her locs in a salon with a perm, and seven years on they are superb. I don't think the "awkward" phase lasted that long for her.

Grey
April 30th, 2010, 12:15 AM
My friend started her locs in a salon with a perm, and seven years on they are superb. I don't think the "awkward" phase lasted that long for her.

A perm costs money and it isn't necessary.
I have a friend who also started with a perm and his hair was pretty much ruined, he's trying to return it to it's normal state of health so that he can finally dreadlock it naturally using time and patience.

Arctic_Mama
April 30th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Grey, perhaps if you stop judging the opinions of others and then interjecting your own whilst insisting on the superiority of your viewpoint, you'd win more people to your 'side' on this. I have no strong opinions on this subject, but your delivery and tone in writing these posts and responding to people is absolutely off-putting.

You'll get more flies with honey than vinegar - there are many ways that people have chosen to start and maintain their dreads, based on time, lifestyle, hair type, and any number of other personal factors. Some certainly are proven more or less damaging, but beyond the mechanics of the methods I am not sure you can judge the superiority of one over another without being unnecessarily inflammatory.

We can all have our opinions and still share and discuss without being so polarizing. :flower:

eadwine
April 30th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Thank you Arctic Mama.

Grey
April 30th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Grey, perhaps if you stop judging the opinions of others and then interjecting your own whilst insisting on the superiority of your viewpoint, you'd win more people to your 'side' on this. I have no strong opinions on this subject, but your delivery and tone in writing these posts and responding to people is absolutely off-putting.

You'll get more flies with honey than vinegar - there are many ways that people have chosen to start and maintain their dreads, based on time, lifestyle, hair type, and any number of other personal factors. Some certainly are proven more or less damaging, but beyond the mechanics of the methods I am not sure you can judge the superiority of one over another without being unnecessarily inflammatory.

We can all have our opinions and still share and discuss without being so polarizing. :flower:

You're right. I apologize.

Arctic_Mama
April 30th, 2010, 03:28 AM
No need to apologize, just remember we all love hair and in a lot of different ways, we just need to discuss things kindly and with as much respect for the opinions of others as we would like them to have for our own. It's that attitude that makes this such a fabulous forum!

Deb!
April 30th, 2010, 06:18 AM
For various reasons, I'm not a fan of dreads.

GlassEyes
April 30th, 2010, 07:36 AM
They look AWESOME curled.

And awesome down. I'm more a fan of maintained ones than ot--but I ike natural too, once it gets past the 'pure fuzz' stage.

eresh
April 30th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Seeing dreadlocks and wanting them for aesthetics is different than growing dreadlocks.

You didn't get what I mean.
I don't want dreads myself, so for me, if I see dreads, it's about aesthetics. Why that person chose to have dreads is up to them.
I've only seen bad and dirty dreads in real life ... but the two links posted earlier, I think those look good.
So that's aesthetics, deciding which look you like and which you don't like, an opinion.

You can disagree all that you want but I haven't ever seen or talked to someone who grew natural dreadlocks for ONLY the look.

*overlooking the way you address me...*
Again, why someone has dreads is not my business.
I don't want them myself so I only form an opinion based on what I see. The look. The outside.
It makes no difference to me what the ideas behind it are, with the dreads I've seen in real life (at various festivals and such), just aren't for me.

BUT one thing I must say...
WAX DOES NOT GIVE YOU DREADS NOR DOES IT GO IN HAIR.
I'm serious about that, that is NOT an opinion.

I'm fairly sure some of my rockabilly friends will state otherwise.
Your other posts just said that last bit, that's what I'm replying to.

Natural dreadlocks are amazing...

In your opinion.

you judge locks on perfectness, neatness and cleanliness. I judge locks on uniqueness, healthiness and cleanliness.

See, we have different opinions. Why is that so bad?

Opinions...opinions...since most people who grow locks don't care of others opinions it doesn't really matter.

Indeed, opinions.

This is a thread in which someone asked, what are your thoughts on dreads, I posted mine. Nothing more nothing less.

*Aoife*
April 30th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I love dreads. I really want them, but I don't know if I could handle the maturing phasey thing. I think my parents hate them and my school is against them too. Damn :(

pointydog
April 30th, 2010, 04:48 PM
What you all are talking about is 'fashion dread'. It's commercialized and meaningless.

It's not dread if you section the hair and deliberately create the locks. It's not dread if you planned them. It's only dread if it's a reflection of your acceptance of a higher power. it means you've cast off vanity and accepted the will of that higher power to direct your life. It's a spiritual choice.

That said, if you care what they look like, they are not for you, on many different levels.

RoseRed27
April 30th, 2010, 05:01 PM
But like I said as well...

Dreadlocks go back before Africans or before the bible.
I think I'll just quit giving my own opinion in this thread.

We are talking about human hair, so his isn't actually possible. I know you're saying it's very ancient, and I agree, but the first people to have them would be Africans.

Arctic_Mama
April 30th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Unless we all came from aliens! Mwahahahaaaa!

:alien:

RoseRed27
April 30th, 2010, 05:20 PM
What you all are talking about is 'fashion dread'. It's commercialized and meaningless.

It's not dread if you section the hair and deliberately create the locks. It's not dread if you planned them. It's only dread if it's a reflection of your acceptance of a higher power. it means you've cast off vanity and accepted the will of that higher power to direct your life. It's a spiritual choice.

That said, if you care what they look like, they are not for you, on many different levels.

I loved how you put this. I wish more people would realize it's tied to spirituality, and not just fashion. I would be happy if those who get locks because they like the look would be able to verbalize the greater meaning behind them. I don't like hearing "umm, I dunno, I got them 'cause they're like cool and stuff". I would like to think, for those who are receptive, an earthy style like locks might be the first step toward bringing about a greater awareness and a stronger connection to nature or a higher power. But more often than not, it ends up being a phase, and they chop them off a few weeks later and get whatever the new style is.

GlassEyes
April 30th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Uh, a caveat. I'm pretty sure that before the rastafari movement, dreadlocks were done, and I will still call them dreads.

I'm fully aware of the spiritual connotations of them, but in many cases, some people don't wear them for that, and I don't, personally, think that there's anything wrong with that.

Sometimes, people jsut want a style because it looks nice, or they like it.

Buddaphlyy
April 30th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks for explaining this :) I've got a habit of calling them "dreads" or "dreadlocks", not as a negative thing, but because a friend of mine had them for years and that was how she referred to them.

Glad I could help a bit. I personally don't call them dreads or dreadlocs, but I also don't mind if other people do because most don't know the origin of the word.

I think the whole "my locs are a symbol of my spirituality" is what's commercialized. All locs are planned. Even if they aren't "manicured" or "silky" or "sister loced" or whatever, most people know exactly how to get a loc. Even free formers know that if they don't wash or comb their hair it will loc and I doubt they love their locs (or their god, deity, whatever) more than the next person.

Locs ARE a style. If someone is truly a deep spiritual person, that is a personal feeling they have within themselves and they would have it regardless.

Uh, a caveat. I'm pretty sure that before the rastafari movement, dreadlocks were done, and I will still call them dreads.

I'm fully aware of the spiritual connotations of them, but in many cases, some people don't wear them for that, and I don't, personally, think that there's anything wrong with that.

Sometimes, people jsut want a style because it looks nice, or they like it.

Thank you GlassEyes. I have many friends and family members who have locs (several of whom have had several sets of locs) and most say they like the "style".

Ludde
April 30th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Right - it is hair. Hair in a hairstyle.

You go through the process of dreading for different reasons but as the path to the goal, maturity, is pretty slow, your reasons tend to be of more depth than just fashion. But NOONE owns the hairstyle or have the right to judge others for growing or wearing them. My opinion.

At least I am a bit reluctant to continue reading on this forum. You are actually writing about my hairdo.

eadwine
May 2nd, 2010, 12:05 AM
From what I can see in the little image on the side there yours looks just peachy to me. My opinion ;) :D

Luna12345
May 2nd, 2010, 03:19 AM
My ex roommate had dreads down to his hips.
He told me that he conditions his hair but he never combs it. and he also told me that when he first had his dreads he didnt wash his hair for three weeks which kinda scared me...
they really looked good on him though.

Ludde
May 2nd, 2010, 06:40 AM
:flower:

Sorry for being grumpy.

girloctopus
May 2nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
Wow Ludde, those look great!

Ludde
May 4th, 2010, 11:12 PM
:love: Thank you.

angelslocs
November 19th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I agree to disagree with some of the postings in this forum. Locs can be beautiful and yes they can be "dreadful" and unhealthy. The intention begins with a thought and then the committment to go diligently on a spirtual journey. No matter what, growth is inevitable. How it grows is questionable. An individual with locs at any stage is evolving. The individual knows it's a dedicated commitment. If it doesn't work out, they also know they have to cut their locs. Taking them down damages the hair.

I agree mistakes I made with my own along the way on my path. I have learned many lessons and consider myself learnt in the experience. My first set of locs were ten years old before I cut them (waist length). In the beginning, I used all kinds of products bent on locking my own hair because didn't want anyone to do it for me. As the years past, my locs were considered beautiful but on closer inspection there inside was product buildup.

I shocked everyone when I cut them and today I have past the "teenage stage" of the locking process. This time around products are to a bear minimal and henna is in my life. My locs are beautiful. I wore a TWA for a year going to the barber every 2-3 weeks convinced that I would start locking again. This time around the wiser. No one should tell another how to wear the hair or past judgement. I adore locs. If at first you don't succeed, try again. I did. My outcome is better second time around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJjCq6vXluQ

Sandwitch
November 19th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I love dreadlocks, and in my opinion they look great on everybody. :) But they need a lot of care to look really good. (ok i like the "natural" one too)

pixistixx
November 19th, 2010, 12:37 PM
my sister had hip length dreadlocks for years, and they looked really cool! It is helpful that she has thick hair... i don't really like the look of skinny locks, so the style isn't for me. She had to cut them off a few months ago though, because she was getting major traction alopecia from the weight. She had a bald spot the size of a golf ball, and she'd (not joking) color it in with a brown magic marker. She is lucky it is growing back, because the balding thing had been happening for the last 3 or 4 years

feralnature
November 19th, 2010, 01:37 PM
My daughter has dreads. She is a new member here and should be posting soon enough. Also, I had dreads in the past but the loctician who put them in made them too tiny. I tried to join them up together but they never looked quite right, so reluctantly, I cut them off. It took a lot of combibng and cutting so I would not have to shave my head. I missed them for a good while as you get quite attached to them. I am on a different journey now. I can live vicariously through my daughter's dreads as she goes about her dreadlock journey.

WaimeaWahine
November 19th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I know Caucasian people do wear dreads but mostly it is a style worn by African Americans. Having seen the film Good Hair with Chris Rock, it gave me a whole different perspective about the matter.

Last night there was a woman out shopping with absolutely stunning waist length rope dreads pulled up in a gentle updo. Nothing rotting off, no bald spots, nothing matted or nasty about them. Right down to the ends they were perfect - and no, they weren't extensions or something tacked on. I was right next to her.

I just stared with envy. :o

feralnature
November 19th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Many cultures have a history of dreadlocks. They go back thousands of years, millenia even. No one culture owns dreadlocks, we all do :)

RitaPG
November 19th, 2010, 02:53 PM
It's on my list of things to do before I die. LOL

I love them. There is something earthy about them, and funky, and versatile and bloody sexy. The thing I like the most about them is that you can put beads and pretty accessories on them, and you can also braid or bun them. Or leave them au naturel. Always looks good.
I don't hink it's a matter of having the right face for them, but the spirit for it. Everyone can look good with dreads as long as it feels right.

I'd have them by now too but I dread the commitment. Too much maintenance (can't believe I just said that haha). Also I'm having trouble finding people that do it properly, since I prefer the thin ones and everyone makes them really fat around here. And I have a tendency to lose hair, so I want them as light as possible please!

Right now I'm enjoying my silky hair.
But someday, someday... :crush:

feralnature
November 19th, 2010, 02:58 PM
It's on my list of things to do before I die.

I don't hink it's a matter of having the right face for them, but the spirit for it.

RitaPG I could not agree more.

Octave
November 19th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Yesterday I saw this girl with the most beautiful snow white dreads, they were so smooth and pretty...which is a rare sight.
Dreads can be really cool if taken good care of, but I don't see that very often. There's a lot of people I've seen who have all tangly dreads, don't take care of them and you can sense them approaching miles away as they stink.

TrudieCat
November 19th, 2010, 03:55 PM
There are a lot of people who don't have dreads, who don't bathe regularly. There are - dare I say it - a lot of long-haired people, who don't have dreads, who smell unpleasant to many other people. Yet I doubt anyone here would tolerate someone coming on the boards stating that most longhairs they've ever met are stinky, dirty, gross, etc. I don't like that that seems to be an ok thing to say here about people with dreadlocks. It's really putting me off right now.

There's no relationship between washing habits and whether or not a person has dreadlocks. That's a negative stereotype and I'd like not to read stereotypes like that here.

I'm of Italian descent. 100 years ago Italian immigrants to America - including my family members - were often considered by other Americans to be dirty, unwashed, etc. I don't think anyone here would stand for people making that assumption about Italians or people of Italian descent these days, here on these boards or anywhere else, so why do we tolerate similar assumptions about people who have dreadlocks?

Octave
November 19th, 2010, 04:02 PM
There are a lot of people who don't have dreads, who don't bathe regularly. There are - dare I say it - a lot of long-haired people, who don't have dreads, who smell unpleasant to many other people. Yet I doubt anyone here would tolerate someone coming on the boards stating that most longhairs they've ever met are stinky, dirty, gross, etc. I don't like that that seems to be an ok thing to say here about people with dreadlocks. It's really putting me off right now.

There's no relationship between washing habits and whether or not a person has dreadlocks. That's a negative stereotype and I'd like not to read stereotypes like that here.

I'm of Italian descent. 100 years ago Italian immigrants to America - including my family members - were often considered by other Americans to be dirty, unwashed, etc. I don't think anyone here would stand for people making that assumption about Italians or people of Italian descent these days, here on these boards or anywhere else, so why do we tolerate similar assumptions about people who have dreadlocks?

Oh darn I didn't want to come of like that. Think you misunderstood me a bit. Sorry, I didn't say ALL those who wear dreads stink...far from it. What I meant was that most of the people I have seen/met/know with dread didn't take care of them that well, which is quite unfortunate as they are really cool and I like the look of them. Like the girl I saw with the white dreads, they were lovely and in perfect condition...and she definitely took good care of them :)

TrudieCat
November 19th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Oh darn I didn't want to come of like that. Think you misunderstood me a bit. Sorry, I didn't say ALL those who wear dreads stink...far from it. What I meant was that most of the people I have seen with dread didn't take care of them that well , which is quite unfortunate as they are really cool. Like the girl I saw with the white dreads, they were lovely and in perfect condition. :)

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to accuse you specifically, Octave! Though I think I did misunderstand you, and I'm sorry! :o I guess I have more of an objection to the general vibe behind some of the comments I've seen here, and the overall tone of the original question. I saw this thread before and I think I might have commented earlier here about how I like dreads, but I'm thinking a little more about this thread and almost wishing I hadn't participated earlier. There are plenty of members with dreadlocks here and I don't think it's really appropriate to open up a thread designed to be a place for people to voice negative opinions and assumptions about their hair. I recognize that this thread is also a place for people to voice positive opinions about dreads, but the fact remains that the original question does seem to encourage responses that could be hurtful and potentially encourage negative stereotypes. It just seems... not respectful.

AnnaJamila
November 19th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I knew someone with dredlocks who reported his care routine as: "I just rub in some cat poop to make 'em smell better. That's about it." ". . ."

O_o Yeah, I know, he was kidding but... It pretty much ruined dredlocks for me.

Gingevere
November 19th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I go to a small, environmental college in rural Vermont. Needless to say, I can't walk around on campus for a full minute without seeing a dreadhead! Some people can really pull it off in style. Others look like they just wandered back into civilization and have yet to take a shower.

Dreads are a cool look when done correctly and intentionally, but they're too big of a commitment for me. I feel the same way about henna and dyeing... I dread (no pun intended) the thought of having to grow stuff like that out if I decide I don't want it anymore.

feralnature
November 19th, 2010, 05:09 PM
People seem to think there is a "correct" way to put in or have dreads.

There are "backcombed" dreads that are more civilized looking and are all the same size and appear very uniform. They are manmade. Somebody helps you get and achieve dreads. they do not occur naturally. They are started by a person.

Then there are natural, organic dreads. They are irregular and may go through many transistions until they mature. From soft to hard, flat to round, little to big and all sorts of things. Natural dreads are created when you simply "leave your hair alone". You simply stop combing and brushing. You go ahead and wash your hair, you just no longer run a comb through it. Eventually, in a few years, you have dreads. That's what you do. If you live at the beach, and can swim in the ocean everyday, you will get wonderful dreads. The sea and the wind will create beautiful ones.

There seems to be prejudice against organic dreads. I actually prefer them because I respect what it takes to make that long journey. And I love things that appear in nature and dreads are naturally made. Via neglect method, no backcombing.

RoseRed27
November 19th, 2010, 06:38 PM
People seem to think there is a "correct" way to put in or have dreads.

There are "backcombed" dreads that are more civilized looking and are all the same size and appear very uniform. They are manmade. Somebody helps you get and achieve dreads. they do not occur naturally. They are started by a person.

Then there are natural, organic dreads. They are irregular and may go through many transistions until they mature. From soft to hard, flat to round, little to big and all sorts of things. Natural dreads are created when you simply "leave your hair alone". You simply stop combing and brushing. You go ahead and wash your hair, you just no longer run a comb through it. Eventually, in a few years, you have dreads. That's what you do. If you live at the beach, and can swim in the ocean everyday, you will get wonderful dreads. The sea and the wind will create beautiful ones.

There seems to be prejudice against organic dreads. I actually prefer them because I respect what it takes to make that long journey. And I love things that appear in nature and dreads are naturally made. Via neglect method, no backcombing.

^__^ Yes, organic beauty is wonderful. Organic locs reminds me of a free spirited woman who wears no make up. She can be a natural beauty. But when some people think "no make up", they imagine a dowdy, unsociable loser. Is this true? No, not for everyone--not even the majority. Cultivated loc's are like a "no make up" make up look. Still lovely. Nothing at all wrong with it, so what's wrong with the look it's trying to mimic? :confused:

I do see the prejudice. I have also seen a similar prejudice and stereotype about people with long hair (Hip and longer). They are thought of as smelly shut ins. I think most people meet one smelly loc'ed person or one smelly woman with classic length hair, and use it to brand all the others. For many people who have natural locs, it's a spiritual experience, one of personal growth or part of a new natural lifestyle. I've heard similar negative sentiments toward women who wear hijabs, "It must smell under there...blah blah blah...other ignorant statement..." :rolleyes: I don't think anyone here would actually say that.....but will that change the minute skateboarding teens start wearing them for fun and fashion?

I have no problem with fashion dreads, I think they help make dreads more main stream and excepted. But I don't think we should only accept "neat" ones. We also shouldn't assume organic ones will smell or "look bad". I have a guitarist friend who grew a beautiful head of natural locs. They weren't tiny. They weren't neat. They weren't uniform. But they were beautiful. They smell like....(get ready for it).....*hair* or whatever cleanser he used. Huh, like my hair does, and like the rest of the people on this board. ^__^

Blueneko
November 19th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I think they look totally cool. What they do when taken out or after years of being in, however, I have no clue.

McFearless
November 19th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I hate them. The thought of carrying all the shed hairs just creeps me out. I can't imagine how heavy they'd be eventually.

renarok
November 20th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Enjoy!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl_vdgIO5Pw

Beautiful man dreads

bluesnowflake
November 20th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I don't like them- I think they look kind of dirty/unkempt and remind me of a hippie. It seems like it would also be terribly damaging, plus if you ever decide you don't like it you have to cut them all off and start from bald.

RoseRed27
November 20th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Enjoy!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl_vdgIO5Pw

Beautiful man dreads

Dreamy! I see your hot musician and raise you a hot alien! :D
http://www.euderion.de/Materialien/Gallery%20Euderion/Atlantis/91%20Atlantis%20Ronan.jpg

or how about this pic?
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.maennerfrisuren.org/wp-content/uploads/Rastalocken_Jason_Momoa.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.maennerfrisuren.org/rastalocken-von-jason-momoa/&usg=__QurC_vrfNVuHKrEuxYn8GnAJBho=&h=600&w=412&sz=83&hl=en&start=289&zoom=1&tbnid=er9akn8i5LW6uM:&tbnh=168&tbnw=115&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dstargate%2Batlantis%2Bronon%26um%3D1% 26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1272%26bih%3D847%26tbs% 3Disch:10%2C9435&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=649&vpy=177&dur=472&hovh=184&hovw=126&tx=76&ty=147&ei=pAroTJSGOYGB8gbwzOn0DA&oei=wgHoTJCuCoGclgfSk-G0Cw&esq=21&page=14&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:289&biw=1272&bih=847

I've seen him without his locs..........I like him better with locs. :p

UltraBella
November 20th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to accuse you specifically, Octave! Though I think I did misunderstand you, and I'm sorry! :o I guess I have more of an objection to the general vibe behind some of the comments I've seen here, and the overall tone of the original question. I saw this thread before and I think I might have commented earlier here about how I like dreads, but I'm thinking a little more about this thread and almost wishing I hadn't participated earlier. There are plenty of members with dreadlocks here and I don't think it's really appropriate to open up a thread designed to be a place for people to voice negative opinions and assumptions about their hair. I recognize that this thread is also a place for people to voice positive opinions about dreads, but the fact remains that the original question does seem to encourage responses that could be hurtful and potentially encourage negative stereotypes. It just seems... not respectful.

You stated that very well and I completely understand what you mean.

I think dreads are interesting and they look great on some people. My only issue with them is the inability to remove them without cutting the hair super short, they require a commitment that is huge and I would be chicken :)

DARKMARTIAN
November 20th, 2010, 11:22 AM
My only issue with them is the inability to remove them without cutting the hair super short, :)

That about the main thing thats keeping me from doing it...because ive thought very seriously about it before...

RoseRed27
November 20th, 2010, 12:08 PM
That about the main thing thats keeping me from doing it...because ive thought very seriously about it before...

I've heard of people taking them out. I've had a few friends who went back and forth without much damage. Sure, it took a few days and someone else helping with lot of careful detangling, but it can happen. But, when I think of how long it can take, I definitely understand why most people just cut them off. :D Plus, long hair isn't that important to most people.

Watergallop
November 20th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I think they look amazing when they're done intentionally... but my friend's ex boyfriend kind of stopped taking showers at one point, and his super-curly hair turned into a giant dredlock. It looked like a pancake. He had to shave it off.

But intentionally done ones are so pretty, esp with colors and beads. And it seems like they'd be pretty low-maintenance once they're formed too.

DARKMARTIAN
November 20th, 2010, 12:42 PM
And it seems like they'd be pretty low-maintenance once they're formed too.

From what Ive read...if you want to take care of them properly they are anything but low maintenance in some respects. I think I read somewhere that to wash them well, you almost gotta do them individually. Like you cant just put some poo on ya head and distribute it around. You have to more or less "apply" it actually. But then again....there are various configurations of dreads...some are no doubt easier to wash than others I would think..:) Cant say a whole lot though.....ive never had em'

DreadfulWoman
November 20th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Hello. I thought I might jump in and answer/ address some things that were brought up here. All I have to go on is my own experience and personal opinion, so please don't take what I say as gospel, and please don't think that I'm putting anyone down if our opinions differ. I would just like to put my :twocents: in.

-Dreads definitely do not have to be dirty. I wash mine about 2 to 3 times a week. I washed them more than that while they were forming (because I didn't want everyone to think I was a dirty hippy, lol). You just have to stay away from the conditioners while they are in the initial stages. I don't think that they're much harder to wash then long hair, but it does take a lot of product whenever I wash the full length.

-Someone asked how close to the scalp dreads go, and I don't think that was answered. Mine form about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch from my scalp. I tried to force them to dread closer than that for a while but my scalp was not happy, so I stopped.

-Please nobody bite my head off about this, but I believe the etymology of the word 'dreadlock' is actually largely unknown, and appears to be fairly modern. Here is the etymology I pulled off of http://dictionary.reference.com:
(1960) The style supposedly based on that of East African warriors. So called from the dread they presumably aroused in beholders, but Rastafarian dread (1974) also has a sense of "fear of the Lord," expressed in part as alienation from contemporary society.

-I have my dreads for personal (but not necessarily spiritual) reasons. I personally don't believe that 'fashionable' dreads detract from, or are in any way an insult to those grown for spiritual reasons (or vice versa). Just folks doing similar things for different reasons. In the same sense, I don't believe that covering one's hair should in any way be taken as an insult to Muslims or Christians, and in no way detracts from anyone's religious or spiritual convictions.

-Lots of people with dreads choose to do a lot of maintenance on them, and many (myself included) do not. Totally a personal choice, and I think they can look great either way.

-Dreads (mine, at least) do not "rot off," but they can wear out at the ends. Individual hairs can wear out as well, but it is definitely a little more dramatic an occurrence when it happens to a dreadlock. :shrug:

-For the record, my hair is naturally pretty straight with a very slight wave to it. My hair is fairly fine, but I have a lot of it. It took a long time (like several years) for my hair to dread nicely, but it holds like a rock now. I just wanted to mention that, as it seems to be a pretty common misconception that straight(ish) hair can't form dreadlocks without a lot of help. It can, but it does take a long time.

Anyway, I'll stop there since this post is already getting far too long, and I think I've covered everything I intended to. Like I said, I hope none of this offends anyone or steps on any toes, because it was certainly not intended that way. Just thought I might have something to contribute to this topic. :)

beez1717
November 20th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I've always thought that in order for dreads to look good they must have a TON of care. At least it looks that way to me!

Niwa
November 21st, 2010, 09:25 AM
I love the ones done on type 3c to 4b hair because they end up perfectly tight and neat, but the ones done on other hair types, especially types 1 and 2, often look unkempt to me (and, I find, most employers). Cases in point:

Stunning:

http://www.shaback.net/locs305.jpg

Gorgeous:

http://missnaturale.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/locs_16.jpg

Lovely:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3012/3096623204_aeca884b5f.jpg

Borderline:

http://www.usmagazine.com/uploads/assets/celebrities/19229-lisa-bonet/1251326195_lisa_bonet_290x402.jpg

No, ma'am:

http://kaganof.com/kagablog/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/0176.jpg

Do.not.want:

http://1.media.haircrazy.info/photos/gallery/thumbnails/dreads_t_w300_h300.JPG

This is just my opinion, of course, and even when I see "bad" dreads, I do not think less of the people involved.

Niwa
November 21st, 2010, 09:44 AM
You stated that very well and I completely understand what you mean.

I think dreads are interesting and they look great on some people. My only issue with them is the inability to remove them without cutting the hair super short, they require a commitment that is huge and I would be chicken :)Depending on the hair type, cutting may not be necessary. I have known of at least a few people with type 4 hair who simply picked out their dreads using conditioner and a tail comb. It's when the dreads are loaded with awful gunk that picking them out becomes impossible.
I've always thought that in order for dreads to look good they must have a TON of care. At least it looks that way to me!Again depends on the hair type. I think that dreads are better suited to tightly curled hair because the spirals lend themselves well to forming tight, even dreads. Most type 4s I know have gorgeous dreads with minimal effort. Straighter hair types are not really meant for dreads, and making dreads formed of straight hair look neat can be quite a chore. I had an acquaintance in college with type 1a/b hair, and she was constantly rolling her dreads between her hands (imagine trying to eat around her!) in order to make them "mature". Well, her dreads still looked a mess after 4 years of her rolling, twisting, waxing, oiling, and waiting for them to "mature".

I hope it's not controversial that I posted this opinion. I just think certain hair types have certain advantages. FWIW, I don't think type 4 hair is meant to be straight. Most straightened type 4 hair looks a mess to me.

Vermelha
November 23rd, 2010, 01:25 PM
Depending on the hair type, cutting may not be necessary. I have known of at least a few people with type 4 hair who simply picked out their dreads using conditioner and a tail comb. It's when the dreads are loaded with awful gunk that picking them out becomes impossible.Again depends on the hair type. I think that dreads are better suited to tightly curled hair because the spirals lend themselves well to forming tight, even dreads. Most type 4s I know have gorgeous dreads with minimal effort. Straighter hair types are not really meant for dreads, and making dreads formed of straight hair look neat can be quite a chore. I had an acquaintance in college with type 1a/b hair, and she was constantly rolling her dreads between her hands (imagine trying to eat around her!) in order to make them "mature". Well, her dreads still looked a mess after 4 years of her rolling, twisting, waxing, oiling, and waiting for them to "mature".

I hope it's not controversial that I posted this opinion. I just think certain hair types have certain advantages. FWIW, I don't think type 4 hair is meant to be straight. Most straightened type 4 hair looks a mess to me.

I agree with you. I mean, if you can successfully do it, more power to you. But if your hair just wasn't made for it, just accept it and move on. I've seen some type 1s and 2s (and many 3s) do it successfully...but I've seen even more who have twisted them off, damaged them or still haven't matured after like 4 years...

If anyone gets dreads, learn what decent dreads are supposed to look like first. There are locticians (professional dread stylists) who can assess whether your hair type is appropriate for dreads and how long it would take you to reach maturity. If it takes someone 4 years and their dreads still haven't matured, I'm sorry, but let. it. go...

Also, I'm not sure if people can get mad about the religious aspect of it. People wore dreads all over the world, so it's hard to say to whom or where it originated. That's like saying, "Well, you can't have long hair because our race/religion has long hair and that would be an insult to us because you aren't one of us." That's a very...er..."retro" way of thinking, but that is my two cents because this thread was opened for everyone's opinion ;)

Ludde
November 28th, 2010, 12:02 AM
In a community as the LHC, where we are really getting to understand the diversity of human hair and how many different ways you can keep it in a good condition, and where we all have agreed to abide by the LHC concept of KNIT to try to avoid clashes between so many people from so many different cultures I fail to see the need to judge and grade completely different hairtextures as if they were all the same. Different types of hair need different types of solutions to knot, and within that you can knot and care for knotted hair in several different ways. And why would anyone want to grade a knitted sweater before it is finished?

Deborah
November 29th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I think dread-locked hair is extremely unattractive. Others are free to love or hate them as they choose.

MathnSkating
November 29th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Wow, I've learned more about dreadlocks in the past 15 minutes of reading this thread than in my entire life!

I have kind of a mix reaction to them. I think it has a lot to do with personal style. Some people can pull them off and others can't. I do like the look of the less natural forming dreadlocks apparently, though. Some of the photos were really gorgeous. The thinner dreads. I like hair to lay flat, personally, so it irritates me when it doesn't. I like symmetry. :cool: I've only know two people with dreads, well... Yeah. One I think it looks great the other I'm not so sure. But if they like them then that's great. Its just about personal style. I tend to be a bit more traditional. The two I know with dreads are a bit more, um, adventurous.

One downside I see though would be jobs. I'm pretty sure I would have a hard time finding a job if I had dreadlocks. But the same can be said for very obvious tattoos/piercings.

Different strokes, for different folks! I think that's how the song goes. :cheese:

chopandchange
November 29th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I think they look disgusting and unnatural.

claviculanoctis
November 29th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I personally enjoy the look of them, matched up great personalities ;) but would never do them on myself for fear of damage! I love the way hair(healthy; unhealthy is just one flying clump) whips around in the wind!

There are synthetic dreads in different sizes/lengths/colors that you can either clip or braid to your hair. Also a unique look BUT whip in the wind>clump in the wind.

MinderMutsig
November 29th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I have yet to meet someone with dreads that I don't smell before I see them. I know this isn't true for everyone with dreads and I have seen some pretty dreads on TV and online but the ones I've seen in real life so far are without exception gross, unkempt, smelly, dirty and just plain disgusting so I'm not a fan.

ravenreed
November 29th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Before people had combs and brushes available, dreaded hair was probably the norm. If I didn't brush or comb my hair several times a day, it would dread in no time. I am fighting against its natural tendency by preventing it from dreading.

I think they look disgusting and unnatural.

Irishewwie
December 1st, 2010, 08:47 AM
I don't like them- I think they look kind of dirty/unkempt and remind me of a hippie. It seems like it would also be terribly damaging, plus if you ever decide you don't like it you have to cut them all off and start from bald.

No you don't. You can comb them out. It just takes LOTS of patience and conditioner.

chopandchange
December 1st, 2010, 08:54 AM
Before people had combs and brushes available, dreaded hair was probably the norm. If I didn't brush or comb my hair several times a day, it would dread in no time. I am fighting against its natural tendency by preventing it from dreading.

So would mine. When I say it's unnatural, I mean that it goes against our natural grooming instinct. We are not animals; we're intelligent beings and as such we care about not being smelly or unkempt. Dreadlocks look rather "savage" to me; like people who have let their hair (or their minds, perhaps) deteriorate into an animal state and have ceased to care about their appearance.

It's also "natural" for your armpits to sweat. It's "natural" for your teeth to get dirty. And it's "natural" for a certain place to be dirty after you visit the toilet. But since I am not an animal, I detangle my hair, wash and apply deoderant, brush my teeth, and wipe after using the toilet. ;)

Lianna
December 1st, 2010, 08:55 AM
I often don't see people with dreadlocks, but past few weeks I saw a guy with dreadlocks, I found him very unique and attractive. So I guess I like dreadlocks. ^.^

Irishewwie
December 1st, 2010, 08:59 AM
I think they are beautiful. I actually joined this forum to look up stuff on locking my hair. I have 2a hair down to my butt. And it locks up on it's own, just in one big mass which I don't want.

-Locks don't stink. You wash them just like un-locked hair.

-You do NOT have to cut them off. Lots of patience and conditioner will help.

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of perfectly maintained locks. I like the messy looking ones. This girl is one I followed on youtube because I LOVE her locks. I just don't want mine that big.

http://www.youtube.com/user/xxzxczx#p/u/29/KIS3YIfiqFU

DreadfulWoman
December 1st, 2010, 09:22 AM
Hi Irishewwie. Welcome to LHC! Please don't think that everyone here is opposed to the big messy dreads. I have had mine (of the very messy variety) for 7+ years, and love every last one of them. Hurry and get 25 posts so you can check out my profile page! Also - it's a good idea to post a message in the "New? Start here!" section as a way to introduce yourself.

That's all. Sorry for the quick hijack. :o

Irishewwie
December 1st, 2010, 09:48 AM
Hi Irishewwie. Welcome to LHC! Please don't think that everyone here is opposed to the big messy dreads. I have had mine (of the very messy variety) for 7+ years, and love every last one of them. Hurry and get 25 posts so you can check out my profile page! Also - it's a good idea to post a message in the "New? Start here!" section as a way to introduce yourself.

That's all. Sorry for the quick hijack. :o

Don't worry. I know not all hate messy locks. I was just sharing what I like. And I'm about to post in the new here thread. I was just in this when I noticed I could finally post. :)

Octave
December 9th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Just saw the most beautiful dreads on TV. This guy had natural light blond hair, almost white. His hair was naturally curly but had made his hair into these small dreads reaching his shoulders. He looked like an angel. :)

LocustSpawning
December 9th, 2010, 05:46 PM
My mother has waist length dreadlocks, and I love them! Wouldn't suit me very much though.

MandyBeth
December 9th, 2010, 06:23 PM
DH has either locs or no hair. He HATES his kinky/curly hair, so he shaves his head or lets it loc up. He likes his to be thinner so I help him keep them as he wants them. Most do not realize he has locs as he is pale blonde

GeeLove
December 9th, 2010, 07:35 PM
i think they're beautiful and considered them myself, but i am too much of a control freak.

Toadstool
December 10th, 2010, 02:06 AM
So would mine. When I say it's unnatural, I mean that it goes against our natural grooming instinct. We are not animals; we're intelligent beings and as such we care about not being smelly or unkempt. Dreadlocks look rather "savage" to me; like people who have let their hair (or their minds, perhaps) deteriorate into an animal state and have ceased to care about their appearance.

It's also "natural" for your armpits to sweat. It's "natural" for your teeth to get dirty. And it's "natural" for a certain place to be dirty after you visit the toilet. But since I am not an animal, I detangle my hair, wash and apply deoderant, brush my teeth, and wipe after using the toilet. ;)
Actually, we are animals.
Also many animals are self-grooming- cats, dogs, rodents. Monkeys groom each other.
Your argument is flawed, and no doubt offensive to many people here who have dreadlocks and keep them clean.

ravenreed
December 10th, 2010, 03:03 AM
I think it's natural for the hair to form one plait. Anything beyond that is a hairstyle. :)

RoseRed27
December 10th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I think it's natural for the hair to form one plait. Anything beyond that is a hairstyle. :)

I always enjoy your posts! :D I think it's kind of funny! In the Black community locs are considered a "natural" style. ^__^ The thought that they are unnatural because they may require little maintenance is kind of funny to me. As if a more complex hair style is "better" or more "evolved" than a simple one. I didn't know we had to groom our hair a lot to not be considered "savage". I guess I should tell all the girls who just wash and go that they need to behave less primitively. ;)

I'm not sure why some have such a hard time understanding that locs do not equal dirty hair. Shed hair may give some the willies but it doesn't equal filth. Remember, you have shed hair on your head practically at all times. :p I think everyone should remember that there are people with locs on the site. You may not like a certain style, but I think it's wrong to insult. There are some members who do things that not every member would do, but I have seen very little insults and rudeness there. If you understand how locs are cared for, that they are cleaned just as loose hair is, then I don't understand the problem. There are some people who are having a hard time finding a job because of the ignorance of others.

I personally dont see how hair is clean when it's attached to the scalp yet unclean the minute it leaves. Locs may not be for you, but I don't see what's to be gained by comparing them to not wiping after using the toilet. :confused: There are many things that a person may not like or that can give the willies: shed hair, fingernails, smacking gum, contact lenses, a bra strap showing, a shaved head etc. Pant cuffs sort of weird me out.:p Some people don't like long hair (waist +). They say that people with long hair look like cave people. Old fashioned. Or hippies (why that's an insult, I'll never understand!^__^), and that they should make an attempt to look modern by getting a hair cut. I wasn't aware that choice of hairstyle was a marker of evolution or humanity. :shrug:

Alix
December 10th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I love dreadlocks. I could never do it to my hair, since I don't think my hair would take well to it, but I do love it on other people.

MandyBeth
December 10th, 2010, 04:03 PM
My hair is too straight and fine to loc neatly. But I love DH locs, they smell clean and like him, they feel nice, look elegant on him, so they are great. They are him.

TrudieCat
December 10th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I always enjoy your posts! :D I think it's kind of funny! In the Black community locs are considered a "natural" style. ^__^ The thought that they are unnatural because they may require little maintenance is kind of funny to me. As if a more complex hair style is "better" or more "evolved" than a simple one. I didn't know we had to groom our hair a lot to not be considered "savage". I guess I should tell all the girls who just wash and go that they need to behave less primitively. ;)

I'm not sure why some have such a hard time understanding that locs do not equal dirty hair. Shed hair may give some the willies but it doesn't equal filth. Remember, you have shed hair on your head practically at all times. :p I think everyone should remember that there are people with locs on the site. You may not like a certain style, but I think it's wrong to insult. There are some members who do things that not every member would do, but I have seen very little insults and rudeness there. If you understand how locs are cared for, that they are cleaned just as loose hair is, then I don't understand the problem. There are some people who are having a hard time finding a job because of the ignorance of others.

I personally dont see how hair is clean when it's attached to the scalp yet unclean the minute it leaves. Locs may not be for you, but I don't see what's to be gained by comparing them to not wiping after using the toilet. :confused: There are many things that a person may not like or that can give the willies: shed hair, fingernails, smacking gum, contact lenses, a bra strap showing, a shaved head etc. Pant cuffs sort of weird me out.:p Some people don't like long hair (waist +). They say that people with long hair look like cave people. Old fashioned. Or hippies (why that's an insult, I'll never understand!^__^), and that they should make an attempt to look modern by getting a hair cut. I wasn't aware that choice of hairstyle was a marker of evolution or humanity. :shrug:

I like this post. :)

I have a new job and a couple of the men who work there have dreadlocks. One man's hair is about APL down, and the other man has mid-back/waist length hair that he keeps in a large braid. So I assume his dreadlocks are longer, just look shorter since they are braided together. Anyway, they both look gorgeous (not just their hair, either :p) and I was embarrassed to be caught staring. But that's what happens when you look good. :D

EbonyCurls
December 10th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I loooovve them. A man with well-kept chunky dreads is so sexy to me. I've always wanted them but I know my hair was too thin to get the look I'd want.

ravenreed
December 10th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Aw, thanks. :) And I agree very much that some folks frown on long hair as being wild and unkempt, just like some people feel the same way about locs. It is ignorance, as far as I am concerned. I also get the feeling that because dreadlocks are considered more of a black hairstyle that there may be an undercurrent of unconscious racism involved in some of the comments. I may be incorrect, but on other threads where people talk about not washing for long periods of time, or using water only, there is not the same level of negativity as there is towards "dirty" dreads.

For what it is worth, I have seen some amazing dreads on people. Usually men, but not always. I prefer the smaller ones, and for some reason, I prefer the way black hair locks up a little more than the way white hair does. I am not saying I don't like dreads on white folks, I just prefer the shape of the locs that I see better, if that makes any sense. It may just be the way people are starting them out, I don't know enough about them to really understand the difference.

I have a friend who has a young son with dreads and I KNOW how much time and effort she puts into keeping his hair nice. They are about mid back and gorgeous, and I hope some day the young man realizes how much time his mom put into his hair.

TwilightBloom
December 10th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Hmm i have to say i have never found them very attractive, it takes twisting and twisting.. We learned a little bit about them in beauty school, it has to grow out from what i understand.. but our instructor was older and didn't know very much about it..

MandyBeth
December 10th, 2010, 07:58 PM
RReed, I agree on texture makes them look neat or meh. My 1b hair, bad. DH 4a hair, natural. I have the much darker color naturally, DH is white blonde. So it's not color as a factor.

ravenreed
December 10th, 2010, 11:52 PM
It may well be hair texture that is the key. I just like when they make neat little tubes rather than the more bumpy ones I normally see on white people with them. I think they all look interesting and I love when people decorate them with beads or charms or whatnot.

RReed, I agree on texture makes them look neat or meh. My 1b hair, bad. DH 4a hair, natural. I have the much darker color naturally, DH is white blonde. So it's not color as a factor.

tameriska
December 11th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Hi, I thought I may as well join this thread. My boyfriend has recently been considering dreadlocks - and it looks as if I am the one who is going to have to do them, lol.

He has naturally curly nearly bsl hair, that seems to want to naturally tangle if left alone, so it shouldn't be too hard to encourage to dread up.

I have been reading through heaps of different stuff on the net, and to begin with I thought "the way" to do dreadlocks was to backcomb, wax and palmroll.

After even more searching, I have come to find that there is a fair amount of people out there that are against using wax to form dreadlocks.

At this point - I am not totally certain about the best way to do this - other than that I really do not want to use wax, and I would prefer to stay with more natural less harmful methods (the backcombing is going to be nasty enough by itself)

At the moment, my thought process is leaning towards sectioning, backcombing, palmrolling, and maybe using aloe vera (pure) gel to help make them look a little tidier whilst they are forming.

I was initially considering using jojoba oil on the newly created dreads, but was unsure whether that would help or hinder the dreads locking together.
I have already found the recipe section at thedreadqueen.com

I was looking at the Dread Quencher recipe, and that is what made me thing that aloe vera might help with the locking process. Personally - I am not sure about the additive of lemon juice, as I am afraid that might lighten the hair, although it might not, being a small part of the recipe.

I am looking for input from anyone who has done "natural" wax free dreadlocks, or anyone who has better knowledge and ideas than I do :)

Ludde
December 11th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Hello tameriska!

As I see it you don't want anything in the hair that is difficult to wash out. Anything greasy may make dreads look tidier than they are in early stages but if you want more permanent dreads it is good if they are clean all through. They lock well if the hair is really clean. To dry the hair out to encourage locking? Well, if the dreads are to be permanent the hair needs to be strong and healthy for a long time, so I would be careful not to weaken it.

I am sure you will get several more replies here that may be useful for you.

Good luck!

Jeno86
December 15th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Depends on how they are done. I have seen some nasty dreads, with twigs sticking out of them. But in general, I love them. Synth-dreads are fantastic, more of less pencil dreads. Anything that looks Predator like I'm in love with.

meggykins
December 15th, 2010, 04:00 AM
I think dreads can look fantastic on certain people, i had a person i worked with that had very nice blue dreads and i thought they were very attractive. I would never personally get them though.

JulietCapulet
December 15th, 2010, 04:08 AM
I dread them for myself but as for others they are ok!

freckles
December 15th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I saw a guy on campus the other day with gorgeous dreadlocks -- not thick, not thin, somewhere in between, but lots of them, so he must have a LOT of hair. They were kind of both neat and lumpy at the same time, very hard to explain, and they were cut blunt a little above his shoulder. I very rarely see 'shorter' dreads like that around here so it was pretty unusual. Very very pretty hair.

Horsetuna
December 15th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I think locks look intriguing and fascinating. I was under the impression one couldn wash them, but it seems its true.

My only real 'in person' experience with dreads was a gentleman with lovely looking waist-length locks at the Casino I worked. He was a customer, but... he was of the 'never wash' variety. Could smell him coming. I think they finally made him bathe though as next time he came by he wasn't smelly at all.

I think my hair would lock VERYVERY FAST if I let it. Every day I have to comb out 'mini locks' at the ends where the tangles aren't ROUND, but the ends of the hairs had woven themselves together. Quite frustrating as you have to gently pull a few strands out paralell to the others to get them to separate.

Sadly, I am not looking to lock my hair any time soon. Although part of me wants to try...

Fethenwen
December 15th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I loooove dreads! But I would not have them myself (I like my hair as it is too much), I made myself some fake ones instead.

I love dreads on other people, there is just something so earthy and wild about them. Once I saw a girl who had the most beautiful dreads I have ever seen, she had quite the same hair colour as me, and they were like down to her bum. She had some loose hairs among the dreads and it looked so wild and beautiful with beads and bands in them. Aaah :) Just lovely.

girlcat36
December 15th, 2010, 02:43 PM
For anyone who admires dreadlocks, there is now a social group for dreadlocks at LHC!

MandyBeth
December 15th, 2010, 04:27 PM
The bumpy locs to me seem to be teenaged. Almost there, but not quite.... DH's hair just locs up so fast on it's own, if he just leaves it alone, his hair starts between 1/4" and 1/2" from his scalp. He or I just seperate the starting sections into where they should go, and nothing else. Maybe an inch if that much is teenaged in behaving, everything else is smooth and tight.

As for anything to help form them - no. If it's meant to stick together the outside, it's not going to wash out inside and that's how you get smelly, yucky dreads that fall apart. You'll have to go thru the rough, fuzzy, bumpy stages, there just isn't a way around that that will last.

DreadHead613
December 12th, 2013, 05:13 AM
I figured I'd give dreadlocking a shot.. I am going to video document my hair growth along with my locking journey once it's done... :)

Here is month one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQj5Y18iC2k[/QUOTE]

DreadHead613
December 12th, 2013, 05:14 AM
...and this is Month two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGzMk0g3lsQ

Should be interesting to see how it goes!