PDA

View Full Version : Do you think that you can "feel" your hair grow?

Fairlight63
February 7th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I was wondering if you think that you can "feel" your hair grow? Another hair web site said that their head would itch & they thought that was because their hair was growing.

I think that I can feel when my fingernails are growing, they will go through stages that they will feel "tingling" or something.

My hair seems to grow in stages also, but I don't think that I "feel" it when it is growing. It is just all of a sudden longer.

What do you think? can you feel when your hair is growing? what does it feel like? maybe I am just missing it or something.

SimplyViki
February 7th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't imagine there would be any sensation to hair growth... it's so gradual and there are always hairs that are in the process of growing, so even if there was a sensation, your brain would probably become so used to it that it just tunes it completely out (like how you don't feel a watch or wedding band after wearing it for so long, the brain just decides it's not important enough data to bring to your consciousness).

Magicknthenight
February 7th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Another hair web site said that their head would itch & they thought that was because their hair was growing.

I wish this was the case :pinktongue:. My hair would be growing tons then.
Since hair grows pretty slow its probably so small a difference you wouldn't even notice it. Like when a bug is on your arm but you can't really feel it. It happens but its too small to really be significant.
What SimplyViki said sounds like it could be that too.
Like how suddenly you notice ticking from a clock you never really have before?? Perhaps your just so used to it you tune it out.
Lame examples but you get my point :toofers:

Carolyn
February 7th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Well I've always sworn I could feel the hair on my legs grow. I'd shiver and the goose bumps would subside leaving nasty stubble. My head itches a lot sometimes but I've never heard it meant my hair was growing. It would be nice to know that the itching was a good thing.

Kirry-Folk
February 7th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I can't feel the hair on my head growing, that'd probably drive me insane if I could. But I swear I can feel the leg hairs coming up. They get so itchy and tingly during growth spurts. It could just be in my imagination though. :rolleyes:

curlylocks85
February 11th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Sometimes on my scalp area I can feel this "moving" sensation. It is not on my scalp but a little higher on the first 1/4 inch if hair. I do not know if this is my hair growing, but would be cool if it was.

cellardoor
February 11th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I've had that same weird scalp moving sensation. Who knows? I would assume it grows at such a constant gradual rate that it would be undetectable to us. Maybe people whose hair grows super fast can feel it.

spidermom
February 11th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I don't know. I think my hair is always growing. I don't know if my head would feel different if it stopped. Hopefully I'll never find out.

ali beast
February 11th, 2010, 09:39 PM
i've had the scalp moving sensation like you described, too! thought i was going crazy... my theory is that since it's in the same spot consistently, there must be a blood vessel close enough to the surface of my scalp to create a "fluttering" sensation in my hair.

either that, or tricksy ghosts :confused:

jera
February 12th, 2010, 01:23 AM
I do feel mine growing, I think. Since I started using a shampoo with cafeine in it, on the occasions I do use 'poo. It could just be the cafeine, but my scalp does tingle now. I like the sensation. It makes me feel like I'm getting somewhere. :p

ilovelonghair
February 12th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Only leg hair: it grows back in half a day, icky feeling!

sarahramen
February 16th, 2010, 06:45 PM
maybe some people but definitely not me

Keildra
February 19th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Maybe if it grew faster I would feel it but for now I can't, I think it might be because most of my growth happens when I'm asleep because my body has nothing else to do.

jojo
February 19th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I don't know itf its possible to feel hair grow, I never get an itchy head but my teeth itch all the time :eyebrows:

Buddaphlyy
February 19th, 2010, 03:15 PM
No I don't. Because if that was the case, everyone's head would be itching all over all the time because at any given time, 85-90% of your hair is in the growing phase and not isolated to any one spot.

nowxisxforever
February 21st, 2010, 05:04 PM
I do feel mine growing, I think. Since I started using a shampoo with cafeine in it, on the occasions I do use 'poo. It could just be the cafeine, but my scalp does tingle now. I like the sensation. It makes me feel like I'm getting somewhere. :p

Wait, what, shampoo with caffeine? Why? What do you use?

Capybara
February 21st, 2010, 06:14 PM
Well I've always sworn I could feel the hair on my legs grow. I'd shiver and the goose bumps would subside leaving nasty stubble. My head itches a lot sometimes but I've never heard it meant my hair was growing. It would be nice to know that the itching was a good thing.

I get this, too. If it's cold outside, or if I go swimming outside, I have stubble when I go back inside!