PDA

View Full Version : ARGH!! The annoying shoulder-length!!!

Dreams_in_Pink
February 7th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Shoulder length is the length of mixed emotions.

It's neither long, or short. It feels long, but looks short actually.

It comes as a fresh breath of air right after the awkward stage, but lasts forever.

It's like a dark tunnel you drive into. You can see the light ahead, but it's taking too long to get there.

You could swear your ends reaches APL when stretched, but there's also a loooong waay to APL.

Because shoulder length hair just...stays there.

You can barely do anything with it.

Sorry for this pointless thread...I'm just too bored with SL hair. Since there's no weight to pull strands down, there's an unbelievable shrinkage going on (and no i don't want to straighten for heaven's sake!) and my growth never shows!! how long will i have to wait till i see some length?? :(

clichepithet
February 7th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I was just in your albums, and you can do more with your SL than I can with my BSL. That dutch-braid with blue flowers is just gorgeous. But I'm sorry you're bored and frustrated with it. :D It'll get there!

Dreams_in_Pink
February 7th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I pretty much mastered that particular braid, thanks to my length. I've worn it a thousand times though, and french twists make me look older and more serious. I can let it down, but looks sooooo boring and ordinary at this length.

BSL? you don't know how lucky you are. At least you can bun your hair with those pretty hairtoys ;)

BrightEyes
February 7th, 2010, 02:05 PM
That sums up my hair exactly!! (well, other than my hair doesn't even stretch to APL yet). I'm enjoying that I can finally put my hair up when it's driving me crazy, which is often:rolleyes:.

It's nice to know there's someone else out there with the same hair issues.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 7th, 2010, 02:08 PM
But yours is straight, and you'll notice it right away when your hair grows. My hair's at least a few inches longer than you, but you'll get to APL way faster than me.

Sometimes i feel like the ugly duckling among all those pretty long hairs -_-;

rach
February 7th, 2010, 02:23 PM
and peacock twists are easy at the length and look pretty !!!

embrace each length as it passes.
some things close up as options and other things open up to you at each mild stone.

enjoy it. I do miss the peacock twist at that length.....

dagny
February 7th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I agree about the peacock twist! IT is a great style for SL hair -- I wore mine like this all the time and I really miss the style.

I think reality is, each length of hair has it's own "signature" style that can be achieved best at that particular length. I cannot tell you how many times in my life I have chopped my BSL/WL hair off to SL and started the growing-out-journey all over again, enjoying each hair length stage along the way.

One thing I used to do at SL was wear turtlenecks. Sounds stupid, but it always made my hair look longer, and it made me FEEL as if my hair was longer.... :-)

little_cherry
February 7th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Sometimes i feel like the ugly duckling among all those pretty long hairs -_-;

Me too! I'm at shoulder as well!

chaoticwaves
February 7th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Hey I feel your pain. My shoulder length hair is wavy/curly and it seems progress is not being made. But, it is growing and I know I may have to wait a year before my hair is APL but it will be worth the wait. I actually don't know how to do any hairstyles, so you are further along than I am. I just spend more time pampering my hair and keep it up a lot. Good luck to you!

smilinjenn71
February 7th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Another member here to commiserate with you! My hair is at shoulder and I just recently cut 2" off to get rid of a lot of pixie layers. So, yea...I'll be here a bit longer. Oh well, in another year all of us will look different!:D

FrannyG
February 7th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Almost all of us have been there at one time or another, and I know how tiresome it can be. This is where patience and creativity comes in. I suggest trying some half-ups. They are a nice balance between wearing hair down, and trying some updo styles. Half-up French twists and other styles can be very pretty.

This too will pass. Believe me. :blossom:

funnybunny668
February 7th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I totally agree. My longest layers (at the nape) are just touching shoulder, but I've got a headful of short layers, courtesy of the pixie I've been growing out, so overall my hair still looks short.

Bellona
February 7th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Shoulder length can be such a pain, but it can be fun, too!

I liked attempting rag/pin curls, because that length can look so pin up girl cute when styled like that. If that's not your thing, it can be fun to try and figure out what your hair "likes" since there's finally enough of it to see changes. I started trying to figure out cones, no-cones, protein, oils, etc. I'm at APL and still trying to find a good hair routine!

Shoulder to APL does seem like it takes the longest out of any of the growth milestones, but you'll get there! I just powered through without evening my hemline (growing out one of those trendy short shag-like haircuts), but I think I need to maintain either now or when I get to BSL to get rid of some of those razored layers.

Yozhik
February 7th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Hey, before you know it, you'll be through it! I was at SL when I joined, and 4 months later I'm at a solid APL :)
Your hair looks very pretty -- I know it's disheartening when length ends up going outward (with curls), but at least you know you're making progress! :flower:

christine1989
February 7th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Those are my thoughts exactly! I have been taking biotin like crazy trying to speed through this akward stage and get to APL. All I can do right now is wear it up a lot.

klcqtee
February 7th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I actually didn't mind shoulder length hair. Shoulder, and just above shoulder are great, IMO. I HATE that just past shoulder phase. It looks like it's longish, but it just sits on and around the shoulders, and doesn't show off the length!

Have you looked into the Gibson tuck? I loved them at shoulder length.

countryhopper
February 7th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I'm at shoulder length, too! It's kind of irritating because from the front it looks long (a little past my shoulders), but from the back it looks much shorter than that, thanks to the angled bob I'm growing out. I've read on other threads that once hair reaches shoulder length, it appears to grow much faster! It's a major milestone, and it's all growing downward from there!

Dreams_in_Pink
February 8th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Thanks everyone! I knew i was not alone :D

One thing I used to do at SL was wear turtlenecks. Sounds stupid, but it always made my hair look longer, and it made me FEEL as if my hair was longer.... :-)

Interesting!! I'll definitely try that!

Hey I feel your pain. My shoulder length hair is wavy/curly and it seems progress is not being made. But, it is growing and I know I may have to wait a year before my hair is APL but it will be worth the wait. I actually don't know how to do any hairstyles, so you are further along than I am. I just spend more time pampering my hair and keep it up a lot. Good luck to you!

Good luck to all of us...French braids helped me a lot these days, i strongly suggest you to learn them (they're not as difficult as they look!) They also look best on greasy hair, enabling you to go outside while doing a deep treatment :D

My hair is at shoulder and I just recently cut 2" off to get rid of a lot of pixie layers. So, yea...I'll be here a bit longer. Oh well, in another year all of us will look different!:D
i was lucky because somehow my pixie cut grew into a blunt hemline :cheese: i wouldn't trim it even if it grew all layered :D

Shoulder to APL does seem like it takes the longest out of any of the growth milestones, but you'll get there! I just powered through without evening my hemline (growing out one of those trendy short shag-like haircuts), but I think I need to maintain either now or when I get to BSL to get rid of some of those razored layers.

I do that exactly! I went a year without a trim, and no trims for me till i reach waist! (glad my hair's not split-prone :) )

Hey, before you know it, you'll be through it! I was at SL when I joined, and 4 months later I'm at a solid APL :)

Thank you! I really hope to hit APL before summer starts! :cool:

I HATE that just past shoulder phase. It looks like it's longish, but it just sits on and around the shoulders, and doesn't show off the length!

Have you looked into the Gibson tuck? I loved them at shoulder length.

I'm exactly on that stage now. It's unbelievably annoying! :mad:
oh, and gibson tuck...I think it looks kind of "formal" or classic like french twist. I like youngish updos like braids more.

I'm at shoulder length, too! It's kind of irritating because from the front it looks long (a little past my shoulders), but from the back it looks much shorter than that, thanks to the angled bob I'm growing out. I've read on other threads that once hair reaches shoulder length, it appears to grow much faster! It's a major milestone, and it's all growing downward from there!

Mine was an angled bob too! I had around 10 inches of length in the front but back of my head was shaved to a pixie cut! :mad:

Chrissy
February 8th, 2010, 03:55 AM
I don't mind this length too much except that if I wear a collared shirt it falls down into in at the back of my neck instead of laying over it. I'm constantly pulling it out of my shirt. I'll be glad when it gets long enough not to do this. Otherwise I'm happy as I'm long enough to do french twists and the gibson tuck. I'm sorry you don't like those styles. They are easy and look pretty.

You will get past this stage. Also there are many different kinds of hair on here. Yours is still beautiful even if it is curly. There are many curly/wavy people on here. Try and enjoy your hair where it is on the way to where it is going! :)

countryhopper
February 8th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Thanks everyone! I knew i was not alone :D

Interesting!! I'll definitely try that!

Good luck to all of us...French braids helped me a lot these days, i strongly suggest you to learn them (they're not as difficult as they look!) They also look best on greasy hair, enabling you to go outside while doing a deep treatment :D

i was lucky because somehow my pixie cut grew into a blunt hemline :cheese: i wouldn't trim it even if it grew all layered :D

I do that exactly! I went a year without a trim, and no trims for me till i reach waist! (glad my hair's not split-prone :) )

Thank you! I really hope to hit APL before summer starts! :cool:

Mine was an angled bob too! I had around 10 inches of length in the front but back of my head was shaved to a pixie cut! :mad:

I'm debating whether or not to cut the front layers to be the same length as the back. Did you cut yours? I know eventually I'll have to do it. But I'm enjoying looking at the long front part in the mirror, so maybe I'll wait!

KnightsLady
February 8th, 2010, 04:43 AM
You can barely do anything with it.

Oh, I hear you! I've felt this keenly since I cut, too.

Belisarius
February 8th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Yes, i feel it too. The most annoying thing for me is when i bend over to pick something uo, the hair goes to the front again.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 8th, 2010, 08:53 AM
I'm debating whether or not to cut the front layers to be the same length as the back. Did you cut yours? I know eventually I'll have to do it. But I'm enjoying looking at the long front part in the mirror, so maybe I'll wait!

I didn't do it. Actually, i left it alone itself UNTIL i went to have some permanent extensions put in ^^; they had to trim A LOT of the length in front and thin the back to make the transition smooth and undetectable. That did the trick, now my front's way shorter than my back (which makes more sense than front being longer than back)

If i didn't go for extensions, i wouldn't trim it. But hey, i also don't trim my dry ends XD i'm trying to gain as much length as possible.

spidermom
February 8th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Funny - my DD had her hair cut back from BSL to just below shoulder-length yesterday. She says it's such a fun, sassy length. Her hair is naturally curly, and she wears it that way most often, but she likes to straighten it, too.

BrightEyes
February 8th, 2010, 10:40 AM

This is my debate too. I'm growing out an a-line bob, so the front sides are about an inch longer than the back. Right now it doesn't bother me (it gives the illusion that my hair is longer all over:D), but I know that I'll have to even it up some time too. But I'm going to wait until I can't stand it anymore.

Tap Dancer
February 8th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I :inlove: shoulder length hair. It's a cute length. I had my hair cut to my shoulders last Wednesday.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 8th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I :inlove: shoulder length hair. It's a cute length. I had my hair cut to my shoulders last Wednesday.

:D I hope your happiness about this length lingers for a long time ;)

Unofficial_Rose
February 8th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I'd be quite pleased if my hair was as long as SL. :) Perhaps by summer. :pray:

Dreams_in_Pink
February 8th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I'd be quite pleased if my hair was as long as SL. :) Perhaps by summer. :pray:

awwww :( my thoughts about APL exactly...

Tap Dancer
February 8th, 2010, 04:06 PM
:D I hope your happiness about this length lingers for a long time ;)
Oh, no, my hair grows super fast. I'll need to get it cut again in a few months.

lonestargal
February 8th, 2010, 09:50 PM

My hair is SL and I only like it this length if it's flat ironed. I wish I could enjoy this length but I do agree with you that's it's a very cute length...just on other people. Glad you love it!!

awwww :( my thoughts about APL exactly...

I agree. APL and BSL can't come soon enough!!! Grow already dang it!!!

ambism
February 8th, 2010, 09:55 PM
LOOOOL! I'm in the same boat! ... and I'm constantly chanting gems like, "Grow hair grow. Grow hair grow. Grow ha--."

This length will drive me nuts! ._.