PDA

View Full Version : Scissor-happy disaster...

Locksmith
February 7th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Arrgh. I always trim my own fringe, because I refuse to pay 10 quid for a hairdresser to do it and nag me about cutting the rest of it while I'm at it. I often mess it up a little, but this time it's really bad! I cut it way too short and it looks ridiculous. :( I don't suppose anyone has any suggestions? I'm not sure what to do about it, apart from wearing a hat for the next week... :p

Pictures of the fail:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=63158&albumid=4454&dl=1265564756&thumb=1 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=63157&albumid=4454&dl=1265564756&thumb=1

spidermom
February 7th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I've seen worse cut by a professional. Yours look too short to be able to pin them back in some way except maybe with a wide hair-band or scarf. Really, though; they don't look too bad. I think you could get away with wearing them as bangs like you intended them to turn out that way. They'll grow out pretty quick.

Tangerine
February 7th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I actually think they look cute and playful! :) You could add to that vibe by maybe using some product (or some AVG for instance) and making them choppier - which would make it look even more like you intended the look. :D Or maybe sweep them to the side a bit in a fun way.
(So I am not very good at explaining :o )

And they'll grow longer again in no time!

rach
February 7th, 2010, 10:58 AM
It's isn't as bad as you make out, although those pictures are small to see up close. i think you can pull it off but if it really bothers you that much investing in headbands may help things. As said it will grow out quickly.

:flower:

lesbia
February 7th, 2010, 11:17 AM
you're not alone! here i am, i have done this now. Also my bangs is short...i think we can only wear it up and wait...be patience :)

camirra555
February 7th, 2010, 11:25 AM
It's not that bad. I agree with everyone else about trying headbands for a week or two. I'm sure it will grow out in no time though

GoddesJourney
February 7th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Well, they're the right shape. They'll be perfect in about a month. Don't worry about it. They really don't look that bad, especially with the shape of your face.

Sammich
February 7th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I had a fringe like that actually... I cut it accidently too short but it was side, that was waay more annoying than them! I mean the shortness of mine still sticks out eventhough the rest has grown out. :p

It looks lovely and playful and suits you, makes you look younger. :)

Dreams_in_Pink
February 7th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I think it looks quite stylish :) i'd rock it till it's a decent bang length. Or you can always use a hairband to cover it.

Pixna
February 7th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I think short bangs like that can look very stylish. They work well on young women (give yourself 10 points!) and women with straight hair (give yourself another 10 points!), and women with dark hair (yet another 10 points!) -- ding, ding, ding! You win!!!

I've always thought short bangs looked cute, European (though I'm not sure what I mean by that, but I mean it in a GOOD way!), and fun. Unfortunately for me, I don't have the right age or hair type for them. But I envy those who do and who know how to rock short bangs. I don't think you did a bad job at all. And although the photos are very small and I can't see the rest of your hair, I bet the bangs look terrific with the rest of your length.

Sabayon
February 7th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Well, I agree that it looks cute, but I know when I feel like I have done something stupid to my hair no amount of anyone saying "oh, it looks fine" makes me actually like it. So, on ways to hide it, of course wide scarfs are good, although my little bits of hair always escape, so I generally use big clips, the metal ones that you snap up or down onto your hair (anyone know what I mean?), not the little claws. For my hair the little ones don't work, but H&M has very cute, decorative large ones for quite cheap. One on each side, fastened behind the ear-ish generally works and looks balanced.

Liss
February 7th, 2010, 12:01 PM
It reminds me of an Audrey Hepburn type fringe! I don't think it looks bad at all and I'm sure it will grow out in no time.

serious
February 7th, 2010, 12:04 PM
They aren't that bad, actually they look cute to me!

Demetrue
February 7th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Luckily, they look very cute on you! I guarantee you that in about 4-6 weeks they will be perfect in length. For now, rock that Amelie look - you can spike them a little with gel, or trying brushing them back when wet and they may dry back instead of forward. You could use some sparkly tiny clips to hold them back. The main thing is to carry them confidently and act like it is a deliberate hair style, NOT a mistake or epic fail.

funnybunny668
February 7th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Good advice already from everyone.
I agree that they look cute, like you meant them to be that way, and in a few weeks they'll probably be just about right. However, if they aren't what you want right now, headbands or clips are always good for growing out stages. :)

jasper
February 7th, 2010, 01:07 PM
;) how about this http://www.hji.co.uk/image/2008-fringe-roll-qhs29815.html;)

I've experienced the too short bangs myself, more than once. I would recommend the wide headband or scarf, if it will make you more comfortable.

Tangerine
February 7th, 2010, 01:15 PM
:spitting: Ha ha ha well that would certainly hide her fringe, jasper :D

Fiferstone
February 7th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I know you don't like them, but they are not obviously "self-done" or "crooked," the spiky hem looks to be entirely intentional. I used to have bangs and cut them myself, but the thing I was not paying attention to very well, was how I kept cutting into the extreme edges on the left and right sides, so the area that was "bangs" was progressively widening on me (!) Be careful about that, but otherwise I think they look fine. My advice would be to tough it out and don't touch them again, give them a chance to grow a bit before trying to "fix" the problem.

dagny
February 7th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Well, I can't see the photo (not enough posts by me....) but, imagining the worst (1/4 " long bangs... :-) ) I would agree with the previous posters about the headbands, ribbons, etc. I would also embrace the length ,as if you did it deliberately, and enjoy some of those "retro" looks: Audrey Hepburn, Amelie, etc. Very short bangs can look so cute, but you just have to style them as if they were meant to be long.

Soon they will be the length you intended, so have fun in the meantime.

shadowclaw
February 7th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I don't think they look bad at all! But, of course, it's your opinion of them that matters, so if you really don't like them, you can put a wide headband, bandana, or scarf over them. Scarves are a lot of fun, too, especially long ones.

FrannyG
February 7th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I think your bangs look cute. I'll tell you something; I once had my bangs cut even shorter by a hair stylist--so short that they stood up in the air. I had to gel them down. Now that was a disaster. :o

You will be exactly where you want to be in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, I hope you can see how pretty you look, the way the rest of us can. This is not a disaster. :blossom:

ktani
February 7th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I agree. I think that you did a great job of cutting them and they suit you. You hair will grow in fast though. Wait and see. You may be able to gel them back to help in the meantime.

I have been through it too, years ago. In about 2 weeks, you will feel better. I think that you did a great job in the shape. They should grow in nicely.

faeflame
February 7th, 2010, 06:10 PM
The bangs look really cute and kinda edgy. I'd just think of them as a bit of variety, change of pace until they grew out.

Amara
February 7th, 2010, 06:22 PM
I cut my bangs like that on purpose, so I think you look cute. :)

Deb!
February 7th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I actually think they look cute and playful! :) You could add to that vibe by maybe using some product (or some AVG for instance) and making them choppier

That was my thought, "spike" them up a bit more, holding them in place with product or hairspray.

Deb!
February 7th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Arrgh. I always trim my own fringe, because I refuse to pay 10 quid for a hairdresser to do it and nag me about cutting the rest of it while I'm at it.

Oh can I relate to the part I bolded!

morguebabe
February 7th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I actually like them!

linda g
February 7th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I cut my bangs like that on purpose, so I think you look cute. :)

Agreed... they look cute to me, too!

If you had posted the picture without saying it was a mistake, I bet you would have gotten a ton of positive comments! :)

Wear them with attitude, no one suspect it was a mistake!

dagny
February 7th, 2010, 07:46 PM
OH, I just got to look at the photos now. They do look cute and edgy! Actually, the first thing that I noticed was not your bangs, but your eyes. The bangs actually make your eyes stand out more! :-)

Yea, you can do a lot with bangs that length: gel, cute little clips, scarves, headbands... and in 2 weeks they will be long enough that you won't even care anymore.

But I understand how you probably feel miserable now. I once went in for a trim and on a whim wound up getting my mid-back length hair cropped to about 3 inches long. I was so upset and couldn't stop crying about it, but everyone else kept saying how I made me look like a fashion model. I couldn't see it because all I could see was the fact that my hair wasn't the way I wanted it. Fortunately, hair grows! :-)

I hope you will enjoy the bangs for now and don't worry about it too much.

Cheers!

Madame J
February 7th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I think it looks very Amelie to me. Just keep your eyebrows impeccably groomed for a few weeks while they grow out and you're golden.

klcqtee
February 7th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Been there, done that. Bandanas, shiny scarfs, head bands, and clips!

lynnala
February 7th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I think it looks rather adorable. I'm a big fan of short bangs.

Rhiannon7
February 7th, 2010, 09:16 PM
your bangs look cute, stylish and quite fun. i did the same many times, just changed the style sometimes, like sweep them to the side, pull them up with a head band and wore them down or even curled. then i started wearing the hair parted in the middle and the bangs blended in quite nicely.

don't fret, they will grow quickly.

Locksmith
February 8th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Wow, shedload of responses! Thank guys. I guess I'm just freaking out over nothing. :D And yeah, they will grow. I think I might invest in some hairbands though... :p

Keildra
February 8th, 2010, 07:08 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4327&pictureid=56806
this is what I did to myself, this was also it straightened so it was even worse curly
but don't worry be proud and display it happily and no one will notice

intothemist1999
February 8th, 2010, 07:17 AM
I'm another one who thinks it looks cute! :agree:

As others have suggested I can think only of sweeping them to the side, or if you can pull off the look, put in a side part, comb them across the top of your forehead, and use a groovy clip to hold them in place. I can't pull that off, but I think you look like *you* could.

As for the cut, as I say, they look perfectly fine to me. If I passed you on the street, your bangs wouldn't make me think, "huh?" Not at all! :)

elina333
February 8th, 2010, 07:33 AM
You can always pin them back or wear a headband..?

LaurelSpring
February 8th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I have done this soooo many times! It really doesnt look that bad and most people probably wont really notice. The good thing about bangs is that they tend to grow like weeds so you will be fine in a short amount of time. The last time I had a bang disaster I just sort of used gel and pushed them to the side for awhile.

Now I always make sure I cut them dry and I never ever go above that dent where my nose connects between my eyes.