PDA

View Full Version : Hot weather and chlorine and sunburn oh my!

HollowHannah
April 29th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Hey excuse the bad title lol.
I am about to go to our families villa in spain for a week and I'm fretting over my hair. It's 36in and reaches my hips. The weather will be scorching so it'll be under a hat most of the time. Does anyone know any hairstyles that will keep it out of the way but look pretty too? also, I want to have a swim in the pool to get some excersis but I don't want chloring going anywhere near my hair. What can I do to stop the nasty chemicals getting into it. Thanks. xx

Isilme
April 29th, 2008, 03:08 PM
bun it, soak it in fresh water and put some conditioner in it. Or do the same thing with a braid. Or replace the conditioner with oil. When you get out from the pool, be sure to wash your hair with a gentle shampoo and use lots of conditioner!

k_hepburn
April 29th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Honestly, I think if you're going on a holiday in Spain for a week, just relax and enjoy!!!

So, chlorine and sun aren't the greatest combination, but it's only a week, after all. Of course you can take certain precautions before going into the swimming pool, but do you really want to "take out 10 minutes to prepare my hair for the nasty chlorine" each time everybody else starts jumping into the pool, because it's hot (hopefully) and they feel like it? Once back home you may want to use one of those shampoos for removing chlorine build up, if you feel it's necessary, and give your hair a few deep conditioning treatments, while still basking in the afterglow of the wonderful climate, and scenery you were able to enjoy.

A hat or nice summery scarf is a good idea to protect not only your hair but also your head from the sun, but if the occasion provide itself, enjoy the feeling of a warm summery breeze in your open hair.

The one thing you really ought to be careful about is using sunscreen on your body - but I probably don't have to tell you about that.

Other than that: have a great holiday!

katharine

Druid of Alba
April 29th, 2008, 03:35 PM
A bun looks pretty, and it would keep all of your hair back. If you want to avoid the chlorine, you should wear a swim cap, or if you stay above the water, then wear it in a bun.

Nat242
April 29th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Wetting your hair before getting in the pool is a good idea - putting your hair in braids or in a bun might help. I'm not sure how the pool-owners will feel about loading your hair up on conditioner and oils though.

Like Katharine said, don't worry about it too much - enjoy yourself and baby your hair when you get home.

-- Natalie

Haith
April 29th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I agree with everyone else here: don't fret too much. It sounds like you already have a pretty good handle on it, since my advice was going to be (and always is) to wear a hat--and the wider the brim, the better. Staying covered is the best protection from the sun. Other than that, enjoy your holiday!

HollowHannah
April 30th, 2008, 10:28 AM
nat242. I shouldn't worry to much, it's my dad's pool lol, although he does tell me off about comditioner and oil in the pool on a regular basis lol. Thanks for all of your advice. I got everything pretty much ready now.