PDA

View Full Version : Shine

countryhopper
February 7th, 2010, 07:10 AM
What do you use to get your hair to be super shiny? I was just looking at pics on another thread, and there were some people's pics that showed shine so bright it was almost blinding!:cool:

akka naeda
February 7th, 2010, 07:14 AM
What do you use to get your hair to be super shiny? I was just looking at pics on another thread, and there were some people's pics that showed shine so bright it was almost blinding!:cool:

A camera with flash? :D

countryhopper
February 7th, 2010, 07:21 AM
It could be!! lol!

It seems almost impossible to have such beautiful shine!

coneyisland
February 7th, 2010, 07:32 AM
"Cones" and very bright lighting. :D

Sammich
February 7th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I've never been one to really like shine, I'm more into the silky/soft look. :p

But... I suppose super cones, super flash and perhaps straightening.

Sabayon
February 7th, 2010, 07:36 AM

Brushing with a boar bristle brush makes my hair very smooth and shiny--but only very temporarily. It's good to use before putting my hair into an updo as that tends to stay smooth longer, but if it's down then its only shiny long enough to take a picture.

CrisDee
February 7th, 2010, 07:40 AM
My guess is that the shine is from the methods different people have developed to care for their hair - and I know it's a crappy answer, but different things work for different people. My hair has gotten to be amazingly shiny from (1) CO washing with Suave Naturals, mostly the coconut, (2) henna/cassia coloring, (3) limited blow drying, no ironing, (4) occasional honey treatments.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4379&pictureid=63139

That's what works for me and my hair's texture, I know others with different textures and types get their shine from different methods :)

Wow, I gotta organize the crap on those shelves...

Liss
February 7th, 2010, 07:48 AM
ditto the camera flash!

I take my length shots in natural light and there is no blinging shine, but my up-do's are with a flash and the difference is insane.

There was another thread about this a while back and someone mentioned that the celebrity shine is mostly smoke & mirrors. While a natural shine is more likely to be achieved with a smoother hair shaft, which is why dried out & fried hair doesn't shine too well. Healthy hair is shiny hair :D.

bumblebums
February 7th, 2010, 08:14 AM
My hair has gotten much shinier--even in normal daylight--since I started taking better care of it. The most likely culprit in my case is acidic rinses and light oiling with coconut oil.

Masara
February 7th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Coconut oil, citric acid rinses, henna and ....... taking photos in afternoon sunlight with flash.

sweet*things
February 7th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Cold water final rinses also work to close the cuticle and make hair shinier. It works, but I rarely do it in the winter, too cold, brrrrr! :D

Fiferstone
February 7th, 2010, 08:33 AM
My camera does not have a flash :). My shine comes from 1. Little to no heat styling, ever. 2. Henna. 3. ACV rinses after each/every wash. 4. Oiling (my choice is coconut oil) before length washes. 5. Washing only when necessary (alternating scalp and length washes every 4 days). Also my hair is pin-straight, and it's always been shiny when it's healthy. Thanks to the stuff I've learned here, this is the healthiest my hair has ever been.

countryhopper
February 7th, 2010, 08:57 AM
CrisDee,

I've just gotta tell you that everytime I see your signiture with the ADHD bunny, I crack up!

I've been doing more oiling now thinking that maybe I can get more shine this way. My hair seems to be drinking it up!

Wow, camera flash seems to be the culprit in many cases. Hmmm....

Locksmith
February 7th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Citric acid rinse and oiling gives me crazy amounts of shine, I love it! :D

lesbia
February 7th, 2010, 10:25 AM
-henna/cassia
-lemon
-honey

spidermom
February 7th, 2010, 10:26 AM
The more smooth the hair, the greater the shine, and you have to have a good light on it, too. My hair will look insanely shiny under bright light and rather dull without it.

Xandergrammy
February 7th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I know that my hair usually looks shiny from the camera flash. It's not that shiny IRL. I do however use a coney shine serum when I want a shinier look.

FrannyG
February 7th, 2010, 10:31 AM
My hair is shiny with flash or in outdoor light. I do not currently use cones. I think my hair is shiny primarily due to my hair type.

indigonight
February 7th, 2010, 10:34 AM
deep oiling, indian herbs, heavy organic conditioners, acv rinse, air dry only......

teela1978
February 7th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Camera flash :) I usually use conditioner with cones, but go without on occasion. Cones don't seem to make much difference in how shiny my hair is. Using the flash and having it combed out/smooth does though.

GuinevereMay
February 7th, 2010, 11:11 AM
My hair is super shiny after I clarify. I use cones, too.

GoddesJourney
February 7th, 2010, 11:23 AM
The Trader Joe's Spa Nourish S/C make my hair really shiny. I guess it's because it doesn't damage it. Undamaged hair is shinier. Also, dark hair reflects the light better than light hair. Think polished black car versus polished white car. The flash makes a pretty big difference too.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 7th, 2010, 11:26 AM
-flash
-1a/1b hair
-extreme amounts of grease/ heavy oilings
-coney buildup

could be the reasons. Mainly flash though. My hair's not half as shiny as it looks on photos.

AmericanWoman
February 7th, 2010, 11:52 AM
hine on hair is really only light reflecting off it. Hair whose cuticle lies flat is more likely to shine. IE: not heat styled, dyed,damaged or anything that causes the cuticles to raise up will be more likely to shine . Also, cones will give an artificial shine. by filling in raised parts,

Fractalsofhair
February 7th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Shiny hair is caused by healthy hair(no dying heat styling etc), cones, brushing(on straightish hair), and well conditioned hair, plus a flash or bright lighting. I can get freakishly shiny hair with cones in regular lighting, but my hair hates cones, so I try to avoid that.

Sissy
February 7th, 2010, 11:59 AM
when mine is shiny it's usually either because of the light or the fact that I've done a treatment with some molasses and castor oil to bring out my dark highlights. Also, when I use a coney leave-in serum or my camellia oil leave-in.

My hair is super shiny after I clarify. I use cones, too.
GuinevereMay,
Your hair in your siggy pic looks AMAZING!:thud:

xoxophelia
February 7th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Actually for me, cones don't make THAT huge of a difference. I would say the number one thing I have found to help is not washing or brushing my hair for 5 days. And I mean no water (except just enough to tidy the hair in the morning) nothing. Haha, after, wash with cool water and minimal shampoo and some conditioner. Works wonder if you can manage.

Roseate
February 7th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Also, it's a hairtype thing. My coarse, wurly hair is not naturally very shiny. Finer, straighter hair tends to be shinier; also darker haircolors reflect more light and look shinier.

So, OP, you have a good chance at shine with your 1b/F hair, give some of the suggestions a try and welcome to LHC!

Arctic
February 7th, 2010, 01:59 PM
My hair is naturally very shiny and camera flash ofcourse adds to it :)

Kris Dove
February 7th, 2010, 02:37 PM
A camera with a flash and coney serum- I currently use Tara Smith base coat serum.

Morrighan
February 7th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Well, my hair has always been pretty shiney when healthy. I don't use cones as my hair hates them. Lighting does seem to affect it though. It has the most shine when under indirect sunlight/shade with no flash and also under artificial light with a flash. It has less shine when under direct sunlight with no flash. I only use flash when there's no natural light. Also, henna gave it a mega boost of shine.

shadowclaw
February 7th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Camera flash does indeed amplify the shine!

Henna does a wonderful job adding shine, whether it's a full henna or just a gloss.

Cones make hair nice and shiny, as does oil (especially excessive oil when you're doing a deep treatment :) )

Good hair health also makes for shiny hair

RavennaNight
February 7th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Lighting makes a huge difference. And camera flash, echoing what many have already said. You don't need cones to make it shine like that though. I have a shiny pic in my album which was all lighting, and cone free. Not saying cones are bad. Just you don't Need them for shine.

Good care, moisturizing, oiling will enhance your hair's natural shine.

pepperminttea
February 7th, 2010, 06:34 PM
A good two minute rinse of as-cold-as-you-can-take water at the end of a hair-washing shower. Helps the cuticles lie flat. :)

Natalia
February 7th, 2010, 06:39 PM
For me a Molasses SMT or honey in my rinse water. Aside form that just typical oiling olive and grapeseed seems to give me the best shine these days :)

christine1989
February 7th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Wasing my hair in very cold water works well for me. Adding a tiny bit of coconut or grapeseed oil is effective too.

Bellona
February 7th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I'm so jealous of all the shiny haired people on this site! My coarse, blonde, wavy hair doesn't shine too much. I'm lucky if I can get it to stop frizzing, let alone lay flat and shine! I noticed my hair getting softer and fuller (really didn't need to be, but oh well) but not really shinier, since I've been on LHC.

Sometimes I cheat and use one of those really cone-y shine serums (Bed Head Superficial...it is indeed superficial, but it works). We shall see if my hair gets better as all the pre-LHC hair grows out, though! I know it will never look as shiny as someone with straight, fine hair, but I hope it at least gets a little better.

SurprisingWoman
February 7th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Gray/Silver hair is also pretty shiny. My hair is quite white in full sun but in the house it or when it's cloudy it is more gray.

SheaLynne
February 9th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I took pics of a braid I did today, one with flash and one without. The difference is really big in how shiny it looks.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4802

On the other hand, before I changed alot of my hair care 6 months ago, I don't think even a flash would ever have given that kind of shine. I can truly feel the difference in my hair. It is smoother, sleeker, and silkier than I ever imagined it to be.

My routine before those pics this morning was CO with Suave coconut, soaking for an hour before washing, rinse at end of shower with cold water, no towel drying (used a tshirt to blot and let it drip), coconut oil on length while wet, air dry, comb when mostly dry, and braid. Soft and shiny!

countryhopper
February 9th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Wow, your hair looks GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!

Olde Soul
February 9th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Cold water rinses, henna, SMTs, and ACV rinses have all made my hair wicked shiny.

SheaLynne
February 10th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Wow, your hair looks GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you (unless that wasn't for me!)