PDA

View Full Version : Showing off! (Dianyla style English braid)

girloctopus
February 6th, 2010, 10:31 PM
I just wanted to show off a picture!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4656&pictureid=63036

This is the most perfect braid I have ever done in my life and I am absurdly proud of it. The advice of braiding when heavily oiled really does make for a beautifully smooth braid! :cheese:

Too bad it's my sleep braid :(

Nyghtingale
February 6th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Perfect! That is such a beautiful thick braid.

Cholera
February 6th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Oooo, I love it. My braids are like one section of your braid! That's crazy.

OT: What size are your plugs? :O I have 2g at the moment, used to be 0 :)

-simply Venus-
February 6th, 2010, 10:55 PM
That braid is perfect! I can't braid that well. X.X If I had 3 hands maybe, but alas, I don't.

girloctopus
February 6th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Perfect! That is such a beautiful thick braid.
Thank you! I'm just giddy with how well it turned out and no one else around me seems to appreciate it :D

Oooo, I love it. My braids are like one section of your braid! That's crazy.

OT: What size are your plugs? :O I have 2g at the moment, used to be 0 :)
They're 5/8", where they've been for four years now and will be forever. I adore stretched ears :crush:

That braid is perfect! I can't braid that well. X.X If I had 3 hands maybe, but alas, I don't.
Before joining LHC I rarely braided my hair. The last time I did regularly was when I was 12 or so. All I can suggest is lots of practice! I struggled initially because I have small hands and thick hair and my little fingers get so overwhelmed.

yellowchariot
February 6th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Wow, that looks really cool! Stunning hair nonetheless! :thumbsup:

RocketDog
February 6th, 2010, 11:19 PM
What an amazing, thick, neat braid (and plugs - I've been at 1" for coming up on 3 years now) Don't you love how braids or updos always seem to look best when you do them right before bed?

Robbi Dehlinger
February 6th, 2010, 11:28 PM
So THICK! (And lovely, too)

AprilElf
February 6th, 2010, 11:41 PM
That really *is* pretty! :thumbsup:

pepperminttea
February 7th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Wow. That really is just about as perfectly executed as a braid can get.

BlackfootHair
February 7th, 2010, 02:31 AM
Very beautiful!!

Tangerine
February 7th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Lovely braid! I love the tassel too!

Chrissy
February 7th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Beeyouteeful!!!! It's lovely. Like Cholera said my braid is much thinner. Great braiding!!!

WyrdWay
February 7th, 2010, 04:22 AM
You did a great job on that braid! It looks really heavy. (o^_^o)

myrrhmaiden
February 7th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Oooooooh pretty!!! I <3 your hair. Gorgeous dahling!

RavennaNight
February 7th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Wow! That is one thick braid!

Sammich
February 7th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Now that is a perfect braid, how perfect it can get! :D
I'm envious. ;)

Pixna
February 7th, 2010, 07:30 AM
:thud: :thud: :thud:

STUNNING!!! That is one PERFECTLY executed, THICK braid!!!

CrisDee
February 7th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Holy COW, that braid is as thick as my arm! And you really did get it perfect - hope it turns out that well for you in the daytime :)

Bunnyhare
February 7th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Ditto on everyone elses awe..:thudpile:
i bet it will look lovely in the daytoo! i just found Dianylas directions too and it helps alot to tweek a few things!

Carolyn
February 7th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Holy cow :thudpile: I'm having some serious braid envy! Well done. Dianyla's braid and her instructions are awesome.

Garnet66
February 7th, 2010, 08:55 AM
That is one beautiful braid. I love your hair. It's so thick and the color is great. The braid looks hard but you did a great job.

spidermom
February 7th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Well done; it looks gorgeous.

akka naeda
February 7th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Very nice!

Xandergrammy
February 7th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Whoa! That is really really gorgeous. Now I have to go read her instructions again because I've always loved this braid, but have never been able to master it. You did!! :thumbsup:

Locksmith
February 7th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Oh wow. I have serious thickness envy. Glorious! :D

girloctopus
February 7th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Thank you so much for the compliments, everyone! Unfortunately I'm quite the tosser and turner and I woke up to quite a mess. At least I captured it for posterity :)

chargersfan
February 7th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Beautiful braid, beautiful hair!

lorig713
February 7th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Lovely! :flower:

The English Braid is my favorite!

Sweetness
February 7th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Beautiful braid, A-MA-ZING hair !

camirra555
February 7th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Great job, it looks beautiful. I love how thick it is.

lapushka
February 7th, 2010, 11:23 AM
It's a beautiful braid!

GoddesJourney
February 7th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Uh, yeah. I'll have to agree with perfect. Nice thickness and no taper to speak of. Amazing.

Monkey962
February 7th, 2010, 05:09 PM
i just found Dianylas directions too and it helps alot to tweek a few things!

I don't suppose you could send me a link? :D

FrannyG
February 7th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Lovely. I can understand your pride in such a beautiful braid. :blossom:

AnitaThorn
February 7th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Gorgeous! I LOVE it!

Amara
February 7th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Nice braid! And another fan of stretched ears. I'm at 0 coming up on 2 years now I think. :)

Monkey962
February 7th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Nevermind, I found Dianyla's instructions, here: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23652

Maybe my braid will end up looking as thick as yours, girloctopus! C:

morguebabe
February 7th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Woah, thats a VERY thick braid.

luckypenny
February 7th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Your hair (and braid) is gorgeous!!!!!

Robbi Dehlinger
February 7th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Lovely. I can understand your pride in such a beautiful braid. :blossom:

Hi Franny!!!

How have you been?

Hair looking lovely:)

Wicked Princess
February 8th, 2010, 04:53 AM

Your braid is so thick and gorgeous! I think mine is only half as thick as yours!

Thanks for sharing it! :flower:

sahiba
February 8th, 2010, 06:37 AM

Your braid is so thick and gorgeous! I think mine is only half as thick as yours!

Thanks for sharing it! :flower:

Mine would not even be half :blushing: I'm too in the list of the thickness admirers , still drooling over it .

girloctopus
February 8th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Thank you everyone! I feel all warm and fuzzy inside that people like my thickness. I've had a long struggle coming to terms with it and I'm still growing out thinning damage (which is why my tassel is so long! That's where all the hairs start splaying out). Thanks :D

frodolaughs
February 8th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Amazing & beautiful thick braid, girloctopus. Congratulations on 'coming to terms' with your gorgeous hair, and on your mastery of the braid.

-simply Venus-
February 8th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Thank you! I'm just giddy with how well it turned out and no one else around me seems to appreciate it :D

They're 5/8", where they've been for four years now and will be forever. I adore stretched ears :crush:

Before joining LHC I rarely braided my hair. The last time I did regularly was when I was 12 or so. All I can suggest is lots of practice! I struggled initially because I have small hands and thick hair and my little fingers get so overwhelmed.
I'll practice more, especially when my hair gets long enough that it doesn't look stupid in a braid. >.< I'm in LOVE with french braids, but when I try to do them, well.. it ends up looking like a birds nest, or falls apart before I've even started or.. anything. I just can't manage to add more hair to the allready hard to hold hair! So I plan on practicing a lot, because I LOVE them! <3

LaurenH
February 8th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Your braid is so perfect and thick!! :)

sherigayle
February 8th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I love Dianyla's braid. Yours is just beautiful.

Olivia23
February 8th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Girloctopus - such a perfect braid! My hair is as thick as yours and about the same length but my braid never looks that good. Where is a link to Dianyla's braid instructions? I want mine to look like that LOL!

Also you ought to make a YouTube video on how to do it!

elina333
February 9th, 2010, 01:40 PM
OMG your hair is SOOOO thick! Wonderful!

Medievalmaniac
February 9th, 2010, 01:42 PM
BEAUTIFUL!!! SO thick. I have total braid envy!! :D

Omarrah
February 9th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I can't see the pic. I understand the need for rules and such, but not letting me see pics until I can post atleast 25 times is really really annoying me.

JamieLeigh
February 11th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Wow, what a lovely, thick braid! The Dianyla won't work for me, my hair is just to thin to pull it off. :(

little_cherry
February 11th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Wow....lovely! :) So thick and gorgeous!

little_acorn
February 11th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Love it :D

DarkChocolate
February 11th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Wow, that is a thick braid!

cmnt831
February 11th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Beautiful thick braid! I'm rather envious of it - my braids are always so thin. :p

sarahramen
February 16th, 2010, 06:59 PM
sigh i cant see the picture and based on the complements i want to:(

girloctopus
February 17th, 2010, 01:22 AM
sigh i cant see the picture and based on the complements i want to:(

It looks like you've got your 25+ posts now so you should be able to see it shortly :) Hope this helps!

sarah061
February 17th, 2010, 01:34 AM
:bowtome: That is so beautiful! Now please come over and braid mine :) hehe

pdy2kn6
February 17th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Stunning!!

Astrid Carlisle
April 23rd, 2019, 02:35 AM
such a shame that it's not possible to see the images or the instructions :(

bparnell75
April 23rd, 2019, 09:59 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4656&pictureid=63036

This is the most perfect braid I have ever done in my life and I am absurdly proud of it. The advice of braiding when heavily oiled really does make for a beautifully smooth braid! :cheese:

Where is the pic or link?

Astrid Carlisle
April 23rd, 2019, 11:41 AM
Where is the pic or link?

I found instructions, I think - https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thelonghairloom/dianyla-s-english-braid-technique-t18133.html

Ligeia Noire
April 23rd, 2019, 12:04 PM
I tried the Torrin's version but i must have done something wrong because there was quite the sagging at the nape..need to try it again...

Kat-Rinnč Naido
April 23rd, 2019, 12:27 PM
I found instructions, I think - https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thelonghairloom/dianyla-s-english-braid-technique-t18133.html

Thank you for the link.
The Dianyla style English braid now that I have seen it is gorgeous. It is a pity that us newer members cannot always see these older post that have a wealth of information and insight.

hayheadsbird
April 23rd, 2019, 03:16 PM
Thank you for the link.
The Dianyla style English braid now that I have seen it is gorgeous. It is a pity that us newer members cannot always see these older post that have a wealth of information and insight.

A lot of photos have been lost after Photobucket changed. If photos were posted here through albums then they are more likely to still be available

littlestarface
April 23rd, 2019, 03:32 PM
Everyone is saying stunning and beautiful but it looks like a regular braid. Is it cuz her hair is thick?

Neoma
April 23rd, 2019, 04:18 PM
Everyone is saying stunning and beautiful but it looks like a regular braid. Is it cuz her hair is thick?

You're right, littlestarface, it is just an English braid. The only difference is the way it starts, essentially from a half-up instead of at the nape. This creates the illusion that it's a French braid. I call it a faux French braid, mainly because I can never spell Dianyla. :silly:

Ophidian
April 23rd, 2019, 05:56 PM
I tried the Torrin's version but i must have done something wrong because there was quite the sagging at the nape..need to try it again...

I fix this problem by dividing the lower two sections diagonally instead of down the middle. After making the first section at the top and holding it in my left hand, I’ll pull the second section with my right thumb starting at the lower right edge of my nape and ending slightly left of center, then that section is crossed over the top section right to left to begin the braid.

This extra step keeps the underside of the braid snug and much neater for me. I hope my explanation makes sense :)

Spikey
April 23rd, 2019, 07:20 PM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4656&pictureid=63036

I added an "s" to the http so this will hopefully show now...

Edit: adding an "s" does make the link work, but sadly the link just leads to a black screen. Too bad! Usually, when there's and old post without a picture that should have a picture, I qoute it (because that shows the url of the invisible image) and just adding an "s" after "http" will get the image.

Groovy Granny
April 23rd, 2019, 08:35 PM
I added an "s" to the http so this will hopefully show now...

Edit: adding an "s" does make the link work, but sadly the link just leads to a black screen. Too bad! Usually, when there's and old post without a picture that should have a picture, I qoute it (because that shows the url of the invisible image) and just adding an "s" after "http" will get the image.

That album is gone.... it was 9 years old.... and the OP hasn't been here since 2013 ;)

-Fern
April 23rd, 2019, 08:44 PM
I did this today for my run and loved how soft it looked around my face. Will do it again after I shower and try to get a pic posted soon. :) The only funny thing was that the hanging part of the braid rotated sideways, so it looked like an English braid that switched to a rope braid!