PDA

View Full Version : Weak hair around the ears...

bahannas
February 6th, 2010, 08:24 PM
So the weather's been really dry and windy lately, and I've been neglecting my hair more so than usual. I barely ever get splits, but instead get tiny white dots or bent ends on the long hair that grows from my temples. It's is a lot lighter and wispier than the rest of my hair, probably from previous highlight damage. So while doing an S&D today, I noticed that the medium-length hair growing from the area behind my ears is very, very thin, almost transparent, and the ends are "wiggly." Not bent, but just very tapered and wavy. It looks a lot like the damage I usually trim farther down on my temple hair.

I'm not quite sure if it's new growth or not, but I don't see how new growth could just be so... weak. :confused: Is it normal to have fragile hair around the ears?

Hope I'm making sense here. It's been a long day. :rolleyes:

-simply Venus-
February 6th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I've never heard of that before! But then again, I am a newbie to hair-care.

I do, though, get more split ends around my temples. Or should I just say, split ends, since I don't get them anywhere else! And neither does my mom. (Our hair is short, though, so that might be it)

xoxophelia
February 7th, 2010, 01:25 AM
I have a section of hair behind my ears that doesn't grow much past my shoulders, is wiggly as you say (short messy waves on each hair) but they look like. ehh wires.

Many people have slightly different hair around their hairline (all around the head). I am pretty sure it is normal. Just don't pull back your hair in a tight way that pulls back on those hairs and be a little more gentle. :)

clairenewcastle
February 7th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Is it normal to have fragile hair around the ears?
Hope I'm making sense here. It's been a long day.

You're making perfect sense! :)

To me it's quite normal for I've always had fragile hair around my ears. Why my hair is weaker at that point I don't know. :confused:
As xoxophelia pointed out it's probably best not pull your hair back in a tight way that pulls on those hairs. In my case however, they often don't grow long enough to pull back, simply tapering away to blend in with my longer hairs. :rolleyes:

countryhopper
February 7th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Do you wear glasses or sunglasses? Is it possible your hair could be catching on the plastic earpiece and breaking off hair? I have the bad habit of pushing my sunglasses up on top of my head.

bahannas
February 7th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks guys. No I don't wear glasses usually, and I'm pretty sure I've never heard any snaps or pops around that area... Maybe it's just another contrasting texture. :o

Locksmith
February 7th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Ohh, I get this too! I have hardly any splits in the rest of my hair, but the hair at the "front" and around my temples is full of splits! It's weird...

chargersfan
February 7th, 2010, 10:49 AM
My hair is the same way, though worse. I have hair at my temples that just won't grow, and always full of splits, while the length of my hair is very healthy.

GoddesJourney
February 7th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Finer hairs around the ears/temples/forehead? Check.

melikai
February 7th, 2010, 11:35 AM
A lot of hairs around the hairline of the scalp can be more fragile and have a shorter terminal length because the hair follicles there are sort of "between" the facial hairs and scalp hairs in their properties.

The sides of my hair grow very slowly and I have many hairs that will naturally fall out after they are only an inch or two long. I can help these by gentle handling, no brushing, and by using a satin pillowcase, but beyond that it's essentially genetics.

Bellona
February 7th, 2010, 04:25 PM
my hair isn't fine, but I'm pretty sure I get those squigglies and bends in my shorter layers behind my ears from elastic pony holders/razored layers. I've found protein helps a lot, especially if the strands feel weak and stretchy.

Locksmith
February 8th, 2010, 03:37 AM
A lot of hairs around the hairline of the scalp can be more fragile and have a shorter terminal length because the hair follicles there are sort of "between" the facial hairs and scalp hairs in their properties.

That's really interesting, melikai! :D