PDA

View Full Version : a question on braiding

beez1717
February 6th, 2010, 07:23 PM
I looked through the LHC forums and I couldn't find an answer to my simple question, so I thought I'd ask everyone in this new thread: What is the minimum length you need to be able to start braiding your hair, and what sort of braid should you start learning first? I've always wanted to be able to braid my hair one day and now that i've started growing my hair I know I will one day :D

curlycrown
February 6th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Well I only have 18" and I am able to do a french braid. Maybe you should start with that. I had the same question yesterday (but I was too scared to post it though, lol!).

SlightlySoprano
February 6th, 2010, 07:35 PM
i can't french braid for my life, but i can finally put my hair in a plain old english braid (at APL+) but I could do it at shoulder length!

danacc
February 6th, 2010, 07:35 PM
An English braid is the one I'd recommend learning first. It is easier to braid something that is not attached to your head when you are first learning how to do it. You can use yarn, string, ribbons, doll hair, or practice on a friend--you want to start on something you can see in front of you.

You can do small "accent" braids when your hair is still "short". If you want all of your hair in a single braid, the French braid will work with the shortest length of hair. It's not a "beginner's" braiding style, though. To get all of you hair into a single English braid, it will have to be long enough to put into a ponytail.

Once you can easily braid something in front of you, I recommend taking a small section of your own hair and practice making a small accent braid with it.

beez1717
February 6th, 2010, 07:40 PM
well then i'm very glad I posed the exact same question that you were so afraid to ask. As you know, the only bad question is the one that never gets asked, and when you ask it someone probably had the same question you did!

Aquamarine
February 6th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I think you should have hair atleast above your shoulders to get a practical looking braid.(I'm not sure exactly how many inches you need to have, cause I've never had shorter lengths) The longer the better. I don't recommend learning a french braid first...cause it's a bit difficult and could result in your loosing interest in braiding.(It looks pretty though)

You may wanna start off with a basic three strand braid/English braid first. It's easy and not complicated at all. Once you master that, and you're feeling comfortable with putting your hair in a braid..you could go for french, dutch and whatnot!

Good luck with your braiding.;) Hope that helps.

curlycrown
February 6th, 2010, 07:46 PM
well then i'm very glad I posed the exact same question that you were so afraid to ask. As you know, the only bad question is the one that never gets asked, and when you ask it someone probably had the same question you did!

So very true! I'll try to remember that. ;)

pepperminttea
February 6th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I could do an English braid at just past SL, granted it was only one or two bumps, but it was a braid. :) You could probably French/Dutch with less, but if you're learning, the English braid is the way to start really.

Tovah
February 6th, 2010, 08:12 PM
My hair is just above shoulder length and I can get an English braid with a few humps. I think it depends on how thick your hair is. Mine is very fine and thin. One advantage (and I think the only one) of fine thin hair is that you can do updos and braids earlier.

beez1717
February 7th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions! Yes, I can put my hair into a ponytail. Now all I have to do, is pick a braid, and then learn it. Any suggestions for that? Links on how tos would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

walterSCAN
February 7th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Have you found this link: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8235
in the VIT's yet? It's awesome!! I always keep it up in a separate tab on my browser so I can look through it...

countryhopper
February 7th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Just last night I googled "types of braids" or "how to braid" or something like that. I found one that has pictures that are very easy to follow. I'm working on perfecting a herringbone braid--not as difficult as I thought before!