PDA

View Full Version : Thank goodness we're back up, I need help!

MotherConfessor
March 7th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Hi guys!! Its good to be back. I need some help though... My hair is falling out at an alarming rate. I knew it was coming out too much, but I did not realize the extent of the damage until I did not braid it the other night and saw how thin my curls were. I don't know what to do!! I have lost almost half of my hair!!! Please help.

eadwine
March 7th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I would suggest at this point to get to a doc and get the blood and thyroid tested instead of trying things. At least then you know THAT part of your body is doing ok.

LilyMunster
March 7th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Until you get to the Dr. try diluting shampoo before applying it to scalp. I wet my scalp first as well.
In my own case, I lose hair if I drink soda. I mean one soda per week does not affect me. But 3 or more sodas in one week=big shed. Like clockwork. Just a thought.
And first the Doc.

Curlsgirl
March 7th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Yes go to a doctor ASAP! Let us know how it goes okay?

alligatorbaby23
March 7th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Maybe it is post partum ( a baby) or chemical induced (i.e. birth contol, anti-depressants?)
If not, I second Lilymunsters ad to perhaps dilue , if that doesnt fix it, switch?
BTW it helps if you mention your routine as well as products/ or heat products used on your hair before this shed.
Rest assured though, most of us get a shed at least once if not 2X a year
-mao

Cinnamon Hair
March 7th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I have lost almost half of my hair!!! Please help.

If it is really that bad then I would 2nd (or 3rd? whatever # we're on) the suggestion to see a dermatologist ASAP. In the meantime, check any prescriptions you're on to see if hair loss might be a side effect.

RedButterfly
March 7th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I agree with everyone's suggestion to see a doctor asap.

I experienced a lot of postpartum shedding after I had my daughter. Extremely gentle hair treatment helped. I gently massaged jojoba oil into my hair and scalp. It seemed to help me. I also made sure I took my multivitamin daily. Vitamin deficiencies, especially in the B vitamins, can contribute to hair loss.

tiny_teesha
March 8th, 2008, 05:21 AM
my mum shed a heap after useing hair dye. She has been dyeing her hair since she was 20 and this day her hair decided to actually break off at the regrowth or shed. I convinsed her to henna and it cured her! She had a scaley hot itchy scalp since she had dyed which lasted over 2 weeks, constant shedding at a touch of her hair. As soon as i applied she was greatful for hte cooling sensation and then the shedding minimised. I think another henna session should help strengthen the hair at the dye line to prevent more from breaking off. It was pretty toxic stuff.

greek_lady
March 8th, 2008, 05:34 AM
What has already been said. And Relax! At least try to.
Anguish and knuckle-biting only aggravates the problem. I know, I'm in the same boat.

FrannyG
March 8th, 2008, 05:43 AM
All of the best advice has already been given, so I'm just here to support you and tell you not to fret. Get to the doctor when you can. In the mean time, just take care of yourself and please don't stress out. :grouphug:

MotherConfessor
March 10th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Thanks guys... cant help fretting. And I cant get to a doctor, no health insurance (actually health insurance so bad I may as well have none and that I am loosing in two weeks). I just had to pay 110 dollars to see a doctor for under 3 minutes; he told me to soak my finger in salt water three times a day and marched on his merry way. Wish I could get paid 200$ for 5 minutes. Rant rant rant.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, it occurs to me that my mom has a mild thyroid problem so I might too. However I am pretty sure I know why my hair is falling out. I am trying to deal with 2 medical bills, one of whom accidentally sent a collections agency after me despite the fact that I had paid them 3 weeks before payment was due. I was hit by a log truck (I was undamaged) and am trying to convince the idiots insurance company to fix my car (it has taken them a month to "find" the accident report :suspect:). I am trying to help a friend out of an abusive relationship. I was recently lied to by the husband of another friend who told me she was dying and wanted me to raise their kids (shes fine). My fiancee is in California and the IRS rejected my tax return. There is more but why bore you guys with the annoying details. :rolleyes:

I am starting to think God does not like me much. Or that I was cursed by gypsies.

I am kidding, for the record. :o

At this point I just want my hair to grow back. Is there anyway to do that... Or at least convince it to stop? Because thus far saying please has not worked :) Thanks, much appreciated.

eadwine
March 10th, 2008, 06:04 AM
If it is a thyroid problem it will not stop on its own, you need medication for that, unfortunately... and all we can do is guess, guessing is not going to get you anywhere. :(

jojo
March 18th, 2008, 07:56 AM
i have borderline hypothyroidism but in the UK they will not treat borderline, i have just started taking iron which deficiencies can also cause loss and kelp but please check with your doctor before taking kelp as it interferes with the thyroids production.

But my hair seems to be shedding a lot less, i don't know with me if it was just a normal shed and not deficiencies but i certainly have more energy. your doctor really needs to check your bloods for thyroid function, haemoglobin and lymphocytes , just to rule out any deficiencies or infection or low red blood cells, sometimes the first place an infection or deficiencies can show is the hair and a simple supplement will sort it out.

hope you get to the bottom of it, as the others have said try and relax, worrying will make it worse. I know its hard but try and think nice relaxing thoughts!!

ChloeDharma
March 18th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Thanks guys... cant help fretting. And I cant get to a doctor, no health insurance (actually health insurance so bad I may as well have none and that I am loosing in two weeks). I just had to pay 110 dollars to see a doctor for under 3 minutes; he told me to soak my finger in salt water three times a day and marched on his merry way. Wish I could get paid 200$ for 5 minutes. Rant rant rant.

This is why i'm glad i live in the UK!

The best i can suggest is taking a good multivitamin and mineral supplement and making sure you dose up on B-vits which stress hormones deplete. Also lots of complex carbs and avoid refined carbs and suggary "fixes".

Jojo's suggestion of Kelp is great, it's rich in minerals especialy iodine which is important for thyroid function. Also virgin coconut oil is popular on thyroid boards for helping it seems.

If i were you, if you can't get checked out by a doctor then can you buy home testing kits for things like thyroid or diabetes? I know here you can buy a blood glucose testing kit for about £5 in chemists without a prescription. If you can then do try.

Otherwise take up some form of stress management as that sounds a huge issue, meditation, yoga, exercise (thats a good one) even relaxing baths with essential oils like lavender and ylang ylang. Also bergamot diffused in your bedroom helps sleep and promotes calm happy feelings.

I would also add my standard advice to everyone......oil and massage the scalp regularly. Massage before bed is nice and relaxing and also helps remove stress.

Good luck xx

cuddledumplin
March 18th, 2008, 02:40 PM
There are probably too many things that can cause hairfall to enumerate, but a lot of them are serious health problems, so I'd see a doc a.s.a.p. (For example, my cousin was losing her hair and had a thyroid tumour).

lora410
March 18th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Check any medication you are on and have a list to take to the doctors with you, and get a FULL blood panel sop it detects ANYTHING that may be off kilt. I know my boss lost alot of her hair from anti-seizure meds. Also get your butt to a doctor!!!!!

lora410
March 18th, 2008, 02:54 PM
OK, well I just saw you didn't have insurance so i recommend Nioxin. They have herbal vitamins, follicle booster, shampoo and condish. I've had good results using the vitamins before. You Can find them on e-bay or on-line if they do not have them in salons, which is where I found them. Also relax and do lots of scalp massages.

WritingMum
March 18th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Are you losing from one area especially? If you are thinning on top in a male pattern baldness pattern, using Saw Palmetto internally has been successfully used for centuries to stop and reverse the process-- it makes an amazing difference for my mother. If you are losing all over, or in specific patches, get an blood test to determine if you have a positive ANA, which would indicate an auto immune issue such as alopecia (I'm sorry to bring that up-- I pray it isn't!) but that can often be improved with stress management, rest, diet and supplements. In the meantime, enjoy a bubble bath, go for a walk, and do what you need to do to take care of yourself. I pray your hair loss stops and your hair grows back well-- and soon! {hugs!}

Blueglass
March 18th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Can you go to a clinic? Thyroid problems definately run in families.

Delila
March 18th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Do you take supplements??

I recently saw a forensics show (Dr. G, she's a coroner) about a woman who died rather mysteriously. They couldn't really find anything 'wrong' with her, but after much investigating, figured out that the massive amounts of some supplement she was taking were very likely the culprit. (She was taking something like 6-8 times the recommended doses, and had experienced symptoms before her death that were known side effects of overdosing on this stuff, such as hair loss.)

Sorry I can't remember the name of the specific supplement, having a brain freeze, I guess, but I did want to just throw out the 'double check your intake patterns' advice. Supplements taken in excess can cause problems, so it's wise to understand them and how they might interact with any and all other supplements and medications you take.