PDA

View Full Version : Tips on trimming bangs yourself

Upside Down
February 6th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Hello, everyone! :)

I'd love to get some input from people who cut their own bangs.

I am thinking about cutting bangs, short blunt kind that is somewhere about on the half of the forehead, but I'd really not like to go to a hair dresser (I am afraid of them, yes...).
I cut my own hair, that is, I trim it slightly every now and then following Feye's self-trimming instructions. However, I am afraid that bangs would turn out uneven...

So, please, share your tips with me!

How do you cut your bangs?

Thank you! :flower:

morguebabe
February 6th, 2010, 11:26 AM
last time I went to get bangs cut and I didnt know the stylist (who I totally trust now). I pulled out what hair I wanted to be bangs; and I put the rest in a braid, and told her that hair wasnt allowed to be touched.

Upside Down
February 6th, 2010, 11:38 AM
moruguebabe, I wish I had a stylist that would do what I said without complaining. I usually (USUALLY!?) get my way with them, and I am very clear on what I want, but they are just too annoying to listen to. "You have to trim your hair" "Do NOT henna your hair" "Why do you use henna and indigo to get brown, let me dye it" LALALA I just do not want to go to a saloon...

Another reason is that I will need to cut the bangs about once in a monh/two months, and I do not want them to wash my hair every month with a shampoo, condition it, and then fry it with a blow dryer, just so that I have to go home, wash it again, dry it so it looks like something.

I am yet to find a hair stylist that will cut my hair without washing it first. :(

Sammich
February 6th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Hello, everyone! :)

I'd love to get some input from people who cut their own bangs.

I am thinking about cutting bangs, short blunt kind that is somewhere about on the half of the forehead, but I'd really not like to go to a hair dresser (I am afraid of them, yes...).
I cut my own hair, that is, I trim it slightly every now and then following Feye's self-trimming instructions. However, I am afraid that bangs would turn out uneven...

So, please, share your tips with me!

How do you cut your bangs?

Thank you! :flower:

Well my first bang cutting turned out too short... Possibly because I was impatient. It takes patience.
Also, my advice is not to wet it, there's a likely chance that your bangs will be too short because the water lengthens it no matter what. :)

How I cut my side bangs(You can see my pictures in my album) was by parting my hair in the normal way, the easiest way for me was my side part... on my left... and then point my scissors diagonally and cut very very little... and slowly. Then I would point my scissors upwards against my hair and snip so as to thin it a bit and not make it look like a huge block. (Unless you want that.) It makes the bangs look interesting. :)

I'd advise blunt bangs cutting by parting your hair in the way that you want, and then combing your hair forward.. and then very very little (Doesn't matter if it's long.) cutting it shorter and shorter to how you want, and THEN point your scissors upwards and snip a few times. :)

That's all I do! ^_^ Good luck with your bang cutting.

ColoradoDreamer
February 6th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I recently cut my own bangs, and I followed a combination of instructions that I found here and on some videos on youtube. I like my bangs to come down to my eyebrows rather than be shorter.

Here is what I did:

1. I washed my hair and dried it. I did use a blow dryer, as I was kind of in a hurry. I suppose one could allow hair to air dry, but if you're cutting in bangs for the first time, how your hair dries (where it lies as it dries) might affect the end result. I basically parted off the area that was going to be bangs and dried that.

2. I parted off a triangular area that would become my bangs. The side ends of the triangle lined up with the edge of my eyebrows. The apex of the triangle was on my crown no further back than in line with where my ears begin. I hope that makes sense.

3. I combed the bangs forward and gathered everything at the bridge of my nose. I twisted the bangs two or three times and then cut straight across just below the bridge of my nose. I wanted to go a little longer at first to make sure that I had them even and then shorten if necessary.

4. I combed my bangs straight down to check for evenness and then made a few adjusting snips.

That's pretty much it. I'm quite satisfied with the results, and I've gotten some compliments on my hair - along with an expression of disbelief that I did it myself. I'd done bangs once a few years ago with wet hair, and it looked very dorky. This time, it looks good.

Kristin
February 6th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I used this video

http://www.youtube.com/user/loepsie?blend=1&ob=4&rclk=cti#p/u/16/Nxb-g3lrhzE

the last time I cut my bangs a few weeks ago. I modified it a bit as I wanted side-swept bangs. She has full, straight bangs. I think the most important thing to remember is to cut just a tiny bit at a time. I'm pretty happy with mine, though I don't know that bangs overall was the best decision. It was nice to have the hair pulled back or even just tucked behind my ears. Good luck!

Upside Down
February 6th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Thank you all for the info! After watching the video I think I'll gather the courage to do this myself... :)

ColoradoDreamer
February 6th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Yes! That's the video I watched also. I like how she left them longer to start with and then shortened bit by bit.

walterSCAN
February 6th, 2010, 11:50 PM
I have GOT too stay out of these bangs threads... I cut my own bangs once 2 years ago and loved!!! them, but then got tired of them and let them grow out... I didn't want to keep maintaining, and still don't (read: I. do. not. want. bangs.) ... but, but... it was SO fun to cut my own bangs! Hehe, I think I got addicted from the very first time... But I don't want bangs in my hair, so please if anyone sees me lurking in these threads, KICK ME OUT!! ;)

...back to your regularly scheduled thread now... sorry... ;)

free bump though...