PDA

View Full Version : Bunning questions!

abritta3
February 6th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Lately I have been showering in the night time before bed so I use my jojoba oil and my leave-in conditioner then I blot with a microfiber towel before putting my wet/damp hair in a high cinnamon bun then go to bed.
When I wake up I take my hair out of the bun and air dry allowing my curls to reform.
Is wet bunning bad? I haven't noticed any bad side affects yet but I was wondering if curly hair (or hair in general) is too fragile for this? I know our hair is the most susceptible to damage when it's wet.

lesbia
February 6th, 2010, 07:01 AM
i've straight and fine hair, if i wear them up when wet it means: SPLIT ENDS :(
but i think it could be different for you, if your hair are not fine and you don't see any damage, in my opinion you could continue, if your hair don't like this, give up :)

countryhopper
February 6th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I haven't done this, but I read on another thread that a woman's hair was getting a musty/moldy smell because it wasn't drying but just sitting there, damp.

I've found for me that when I do rag curls at night, my hair needs to be a little damp, but not towel-dried-from-the-shower wet. It won't be ddry by morning.

Carolyn
February 6th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I think damp bunning is probably better than wet bunning. I get nice bun waves if I do a high scrunchie bun before going to bed. I do it rather loosely and try to make sure the hair is smoothed down as I make the bun. Otherwise I'll have all sorts of wonky ends in the morning. I don't think damp bunning gives me split ends and I'm pretty split prone. Buns are protective for long hair.

CrisDee
February 6th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Ditto on the mold - when my hair was long, if I put it up right out of the shower (which I sometimes did when pressed for time), it would definitely have a moldy smell when I let it down at the end of a long work day. I imagine it'd be the same overnight. I vote damp rather than wet :)

kittensoupnrice
February 6th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I never go to sleep with wet hair if I can help it, so I typically wash in the morning, and damp bun it for a while. I've been doing this for years and have never noticed a moldy smell.

I do let it down periodically during the day, though. I mostly bun it up so it doesn't leave wet tracks down my back.

Now, I have noticed that if I sleep with wet hair (on that rare occasion), I do get a musty smell in my hair. So I think it's more a problem of damp pillows or pillowcases than with the hair itself.

curlycrown
February 6th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I usually do a damp bun but I dont to it so tight that my hair cant dry. I also have to be careful of what I put in my hair if Im doing a damp bun because I will get that mildew like scent at then end of the day.

-simply Venus-
February 6th, 2010, 10:04 PM
My sister said that if you do that, mildew could grow in your hair. O.O Don't know if it's true or not, though!

Carolyn
February 7th, 2010, 08:43 AM
I can't imagine mold growing in your hair from damp bunning if you take it down and allow it to dry after several hours. I often damp bun my hair in the morning, leave it up for the day and take it down in the evening. I've never had a problem. If you kept your hair wet and in a bun for several days I suppose you could have it happen. The OP is talking about leaving her hair up in a wet bun overnight, not for days on end. There are many LHC'ers who wet/damp bun without mold issues. Do a search and you'll find several threads where we've discussed it in the past.

Cinnamon Hair
February 7th, 2010, 01:10 PM
You know, I have heard about the mold concern before and I thought it was rather strange. I damp bun daily, many times going to bed with still damp hair and waking up with the same amount of dampness. Then I wash again (CO daily) and repeat the cycle. Never had a mold issue and I really can't imagine it happening in a normal situation. Now, maybe if you were homeless and could not practice proper hygiene, but if your hair is clean I don't see how it could mold. :shrug:

ETA: By damp I mean moist but not dripping water. After showering I put my hair in a turbie twist towel for about 15 mins then take it down and comb to start the drying process. It is usually 30 minutes or more after the shower before I bun.