PDA

View Full Version : Crazy idea, need feedback

hanne jensen
February 6th, 2010, 02:19 AM
:confused: My hair grows most in the winter. I get my biggest growth spurt here in February where we have 8-10 hours daylight. In the summer my hair stalls completely. From mid March to end of July I'm lucky if I get 1 centimeter growth.

My idea is to somehow keep the light away from my hair either with a cap or lined snood for a few hours each day, gradually increasing my "dark" time. Here in Denmark we have up to 17 hours daylight in May and June.

Is this a crazy idea? Could it work, or will I just look like and idiot?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

anthonyswife
February 6th, 2010, 02:33 AM
I can't say for sure that it would work, but it sounds like you've done your research. It certainly cant hurt- give it a shot!

Heidi_234
February 6th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Well, I'm not sure if that's the sunlight that stalls your hair growth, so I'm not sure if that would work. It might be that in the winter you keep your head warmer, and hang warmer environment more often (turning the heat on in your house/workplace), or drink hot drinks more often, all of which might increase blood flow to the scalp.

You can try though, I think the best part of your experiment is that even if it doesn't work, no harm's done. :)

*Rose Red*
February 6th, 2010, 04:42 AM
I thought that sunlight would improve hair growth?

Sammich
February 6th, 2010, 05:28 AM
I thought that sunlight would improve hair growth?

I would have thought sunlight damages your hair since it bleaches it technically. :p AND dries your hair out, therefore more likely to have split ends. (Similar to blowdrier/straightener... heat)

OP, I'm not very sure whether that would work... but perhaps if you want your hair to be more moisturized, sure. :)

Tangerine
February 6th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Like Heidi said, experimenting with it certainly won't do your hair any harm. And it gives you the great excuse to come up with loads of different fun ways to cover your hair :D

Heavenly Locks
February 6th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Honestly, isn't it your brain that senses the amount of sunlight we are exposed to? Not the hair itself... :hmm:

If you wanted to recreate winter time light, I'd think you'd need to keep your entire body in a darker place.

I know that if you keep a horse in a stall with artificial lights on replicating summer hours, they won't grow as dense a winter coat. :)

Qadupae
February 6th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I say why not? Go for it hanne ^_^ If it doesn't work out, at least then you can rule out one thing then :)

If you do any needlework like knitting or crocheting, you can find some pretty awesome free patterns to make your own snood.

elina333
February 6th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Hmm Im not sure the light has anything to do with it... But as mentioned, no harm in trying :D But I think it has more to do with heat or something. Do you wear hats a lot during the winter? That'll keep your scalp really warm and since we dont have extremely hot summers here in Scandinavia, maybe the summer heat isnt enough?